Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some serious revisionism going on with some. Lop took over a side bottom of the league and in disarray after almost half a season of Bruno Lage, and got us organised, with some very good results on the way. Yes, there were a few shockers, but our squad had some big deficiencies last season, even after the improvements we'd made. Talking of which, the January window he would have had a big part in has proved to be a very important one for us, even now - Cunha, Dawson, Lemina, Gomes, Sarabia. All have added a lot more balance and ability to our squad.

I don't blame him for leaving. Yes, it should have been handled better but there's no doubt the goalposts were shifted and the club ****ed him about a fair bit. I don't trust Shi whatsoever, it all should've been sorted before we even kicked a ball in preseason. That Rennes friendly provided a lot of promise, but you can't have someone in the dugout who clearly isn't happy to be there and is constantly unhappy in the press.

If we'd been able to offer him the same backing as Villa have Emery then I think we'd be looking at another European trip next season. After all, GON has done well arriving a few days before the season started, zero signings in January and what is ultimately a paper thin squad. Will be interesting to see how he does at West Ham if the rumours are true.
It's like what happens after a divorce (speaking from experience).

You forget when you first kissed and when every moment apart was filled with pining for her. You forget the thrill of going to meet her and worrying if she'll have changed her mind. You forget the nerves of your wedding day and the joy of having your first child together. You forget about all the uncontrollable laughter you shared together.

All you can remember is her throwing that frying pan at your head and calling you a fat, useless lump as you trudged down the drive with your suitcase.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amorim won’t go there and Iv got a feeling JL has probably turned them down.. nobody want the job…

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You forget when you first kissed and when every moment apart was filled with pining for her. You forget the thrill of going to meet her and worrying if she'll have changed her mind. You forget the nerves of your wedding day and the joy of having your first child together. You forget about all the uncontrollable laughter you shared together.

All you can remember is her throwing that frying pan at your head and calling you a fat, useless lump as you trudged down the drive with your suitcase.
So sorry mate. Do you want to talk about it?

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Baffled at your comments on our away ends under Loppy, it’s certainly not how I remember it. (Southampton aside, brilliant day).

Can remember standing behind the goal at Forest bored ****less and just counting the minutes till the game ended. Much the same in the second half at Leicester. Can remember being boiling hot under the roof at Old Trafford watching us fail to get anywhere near their goal while the lads in front of me spent most the afternoon tatting on Instagram. Less said about Brighton and Arsenal the better.

2 points from our last 8 away games under JL, the match was honestly the low point of the day.

Yeah, it wasn't always lively, but for a certain period our atmosphere was superb home and away IMO. It's been dire this year all round, save for City at home (thanks to Nunes and us winning), Arsenal at home due to pure irony of the gap between the two sides, and a couple of others. Albion, of course.

Suppose it doesn't help that we've got no songs for players anymore, and we only have the standard 'GON barmy army chant' that every EFL club has for their manager. We certainly had a good chant for Nuno and Lopetegui, which goes a long way in the stands. Though a couple of player ones seem to be creeping in now the season is coming to a close.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, it wasn't always lively, but for a certain period our atmosphere was superb home and away IMO. It's been dire this year all round, save for City at home (thanks to Nunes and us winning), Arsenal at home due to pure irony of the gap between the two sides, and a couple of others. Albion, of course.

Suppose it doesn't help that we've got no songs for players anymore, and we only have the standard 'GON barmy army chant' that every EFL club has for their manager. We certainly had a good chant for Nuno and Lopetegui, which goes a long way in the stands. Though a couple of player ones seem to be creeping in now the season is coming to a close.
You won’t get songs like Si Senor or Nuno had a dream to raise the roof again they was unique

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So sorry mate. Do you want to talk about it?
It's been a couple of years, so I'm alright now thank you. I can see the funny side as well as the philosophical aspect. I can even relate better to my own parents, who divorced when I was a kid.

As for Lopetegui, I see both arguments - much the same as Forest's predicament and most things that divide opinion on here.

Notwithstanding, of course, that you were speaking in jest.

Topcat

Groupie
Reaction score
Looking back I can say JL did a commendable job considering we were bottom at Christmas and a bit of a lost cause.

Right man, right place, right time who guided us to safety with games to spare, not sure who else could have rescued the situation at the time?

The manner in which he left and the way GON was appointed with days to go at the beginning of the season is still debatable, however, usually in these circumstances there’s two sides to the story which in all honesty we’ll never really know?

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yeh the songs aren’t great. Atmosphere at Brentford in the 4-1 was really good but it was just GONs barmy army on repeat. Still good to have a bit of consistent noise.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Loppy didn't rate RAN. Just for that he's a *******.

I’ve always been puzzled by this one. Seem to recall a couple of here suggesting that Lopetegui did rate RAN but that RAN was suffering some pretty serious personal issues.

Either way, RAN starting to fulfil his incredible potential has been one of the highlights of this season. One of my favourite ever Wolves players to watch.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Baffled at your comments on our away ends under Loppy, it’s certainly not how I remember it. (Southampton aside, brilliant day).
And Everton away in his first game. Couldn't agree more about the rest of them

Tring Wolf

Reaction score
In his defence, over the course of a few weeks, he went from being told ‘the project is back on’ to ‘you can sign promising young players in the £15-£20m range (Scott, Gyokeres)’ to ‘you can’t sign anyone, even on a free transfer’.

It’s not really surprising that the second change was a step too far for a Manager of his stature and ambition at that stage of his career.

Anyway, it’s all worked out a hell of a lot better than pretty much all of us thought back in August.

Tring Wolf

Reaction score
And the way he treated Raul. Refusing to bring him on for a final time in a meaningless home game so that we could all give him the send off he deserved was unforgivable.

This I completely agree with.

Thought that was awful on his behalf. I was/am far more angry with him for that than anything that happened in the Summer.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’ve always been puzzled by this one. Seem to recall a couple of here suggesting that Lopetegui did rate RAN but that RAN was suffering some pretty serious personal issues.

Either way, RAN starting to fulfil his incredible potential has been one of the highlights of this season. One of my favourite ever Wolves players to watch.

Yeah that's true. Lopetegui didn't show a lot of compassion and was prepared to let him go. O'Neil was the complete opposite and is the sole reason for both RAN still being here, and his excellent season.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Some of this stuff mystifies me. The last home game of last season wasn't a dead rubber, it was crucial for Everton (and Leicester). We all got the chance to applaud Raul as he walked round the pitch at the end of the game. He started at Arsenal.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of this stuff mystifies me. The last home game of last season wasn't a dead rubber, it was crucial for Everton (and Leicester). We all got the chance to applaud Raul as he walked round the pitch at the end of the game. He started at Arsenal.
He could have put Raul on, instead of obviously causing upset, and what happened with Moutinho? I know you defend Lopetegui, and it is true he kept us up and was probably let down by Shi. But, it was the players that came in January that made the difference,especially Lemina and Dawson. And the way Lopetegui treated the club in public still leaves a very sour taste. Also, his behaviour on the side lines and the way in which we played, though maybe necessary, were horrible to watch. He got paid a fortune and kept us up. Everything Stourport said would happen with him, did. I'm glad we have moved on.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I think it was unforgivable not to give Raul a chance to say goodbye at Molineux. I was there and absolutely fuming about it. Although at that point I wanted Lopetegui to stay, it really put me off him at the time. You say it wasn't a dead rubber for us, yet he played Bentley in goal and brought on Costa with 20 mins to go and then Traore and Cunha just before injury time. You're saying that game was so important that he couldn't give Raul a chance before any of those? Sure, Raul walked around a two thirds full Molineux at the end but his actions from the bench and at the final whistle showed how much he wanted to get on the pitch during the game. After all he'd given in a Wolves shirt, it was completely tone deaf at best , or if he knew, completely callous at worst from Lopetegui. He give him a start at Arsenal but Raul wanted to say goodbye on the field of play at Molineux.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's been a couple of years, so I'm alright now thank you. I can see the funny side as well as the philosophical aspect. I can even relate better to my own parents, who divorced when I was a kid.

As for Lopetegui, I see both arguments - much the same as Forest's predicament and most things that divide opinion on here.

Notwithstanding, of course, that you were speaking in jest.
I'm a born counsellor, on here when I get bored working for Samaritans.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Raul situation was unsavory but to be fair to Lop, he did come to later regret his decision. Whether you choose to forgive him for making a mistake probably hinges on how you feel about him in general.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
He could have put Raul on, instead of obviously causing upset, and what happened with Moutinho? I know you defend Lopetegui, and it is true he kept us up and was probably let down by Shi. But, it was the players that came in January that made the difference,especially Lemina and Dawson. And the way Lopetegui treated the club in public still leaves a very sour taste. Also, his behaviour on the side lines and the way in which we played, though maybe necessary, were horrible to watch. He got paid a fortune and kept us up. Everything Stourport said would happen with him, did. I'm glad we have moved on.
Well I don't know what happened with Moutinho, but if you made me guess I'd suggest the club promised him an extension and then didn't deliver. In a Summer of cost cutting the club wanted rid of him and I suspect didn't tell him, whether Lopetegui signed off on that I have no idea - maybe given he must have known the budget was tight by then.

People bang on about the away form, but we won 7 home games in just over half a season, that's the same as this season so far. We weren't a horrible watch in most games and the Liverpool game that never seems to get a mention was probably the best performance I've seen in decades.

I don't know the statistics on sideline behaviour, but O'Neil got booked in his first game IIRC, has had issues several times since, every one caused by useless refereeing in both cases.

Stourport said he'd deliberately lose to get sacked and paid off, is that what happened?

Anyway, not sure how I've got into this again. Lopetegui was right, the squad wasn't good enough to challenge for Europe because it didn't have the numbers. I'll try to wish you all the best and leave it there!

@Wonder Boyo good points, hard to argue those re the subs. Hopefully none of the thousands who couldn't be bothered to wait to clap Raul after the game moan though.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Raul situation was unsavory but to be fair to Lop, he did come to later regret his decision. Whether you choose to forgive him for making a mistake probably hinges on how you feel about him in general.

I always thought Lopetegui not playing Jimenez in that game was payback for Raul choosing to stay with Mexico when Lop wanted him back at Wolves.
Lopetegui came out and said he didn't realise the significance of not giving Raul an appearance but I still think it was a deliberate calculated callous decision.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
And the way he treated Raul. Refusing to bring him on for a final time in a meaningless home game so that we could all give him the send off he deserved was unforgivable.

I'd also be curious to know what happened with Moutinho the model professional refusing to play at the end of the season then not even turning up to say goodbye at the last game was completely out of character for him.

I know it was muted around that he didnt want to get injured but he didn't sign for Braga until a while after the end of the season.

Madmalc

Reaction score
Lopetegui was a disruptor who kept us up and cleared out the old guard. He was allowed to do that half of the job, but wasn't allowed the rebuild, so he left.
Some of it wasn't pretty to watch, disruption seldom is.
The fact that GON was clearly lined up to replace Lopetegui and we didn't start the season with a caretaker manager, hints at a background professionalism in Lopetegui's leaving.
Disruptors always divide opinions, the Mix is divided over him.
Let's hope the rebuild under GON sets us up for next season.
The past is unchangeable.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score

That was a beautifully written and very touching comparison. I know it's about football but wow, that makes me appreciate what I've got even more.

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

brilliant !

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well I don't know what happened with Moutinho, but if you made me guess I'd suggest the club promised him an extension and then didn't deliver. In a Summer of cost cutting the club wanted rid of him and I suspect didn't tell him, whether Lopetegui signed off on that I have no idea - maybe given he must have known the budget was tight by then.

People bang on about the away form, but we won 7 home games in just over half a season, that's the same as this season so far. We weren't a horrible watch in most games and the Liverpool game that never seems to get a mention was probably the best performance I've seen in decades.

I don't know the statistics on sideline behaviour, but O'Neil got booked in his first game IIRC, has had issues several times since, every one caused by useless refereeing in both cases.

Stourport said he'd deliberately lose to get sacked and paid off, is that what happened?

Anyway, not sure how I've got into this again. Lopetegui was right, the squad wasn't good enough to challenge for Europe because it didn't have the numbers. I'll try to wish you all the best and leave it there!

@Wonder Boyo good points, hard to argue those re the subs. Hopefully none of the thousands who couldn't be bothered to wait to clap Raul after the game moan though.
Agree with most of above, football was okay tactically but a bit to sterile, GON has injected a bit of risk.
With regard to Lopetegui in general he has generated drama almost everywhere he has been.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think thats probably right tbh. Lopetegui basically picked a pragmatic team who would work hard for 90 mins and RAN wasnt doing that.

Back
Top Bottom