Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fans all listen to podcasts nowadays, they read all the tactical long reads on The Athletic and other sites about the top European coaches/teams, they share views on social media etc. It results in a generation of fans that are far more knowledgably and more likely to want their club to go for progressive younger coaches that entertain rather than an old clogger that will keep you in the league.
An old clogger that would keep them in the league?….

Ok.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really think the way he acted in the end here has severely damaged his reputation, in this country at least.
This is the dumb thing about it. Had he complained about the (necessary) sales but got on with the job he was paid for and done exactly what O'Neil has, his stock in this country would have risen

****ed himself over and I am really glad about that!

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
485 signatures already. That'll show him.
And they’re probably all Wolves fans!

Hopefully, another 30,000 to go.

Yes, I know I’m being sarcastic, but Loppy could have handled his departure a lot better if he didn’t spout his mouth after being very well paid, being able to appoint a coach load of assistants and being supported in the January 2023 transfer window!

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
Can you give us a lie he's told?
Pick your favorite from this interview:

"When we started pre-season, they told me that it’s impossible to develop this project. And we decided to part ways. I love all the workers, all the players and, above all, the fans — they have an incredible warmth towards me. I still live there, so I feel that. And I wish the best to the owners, to Gary O’Neil (his replacement as head coach), to Matt Hobbs (sporting director), to Matt Wild (general manager), and to all the players. I am always going to be a little wolf.”

And..."It was not easy for me. It was a pity. I remember a lot of workers, and us too, we were crying. The environment and the commitment that we have created at Wolves in a short time is not normal. And I remember this with a big, heavy heart [and fat wallet]. This was special.”

Personally, I find it hard to believe any of it.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This is the dumb thing about it. Had he complained about the (necessary) sales but got on with the job he was paid for and done exactly what O'Neil has, his stock in this country would have risen

Especially given his history, I think he just had to stick it out. Sevilla ended very poorly. Real Madrid was a disaster. He needed to show some ****ing stability.

In his next job, is he going to bang on about new signings and "ambition" again regardless of what the club do?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

"When we started pre-season, they told me that it’s impossible to develop this project. And we decided to part ways. I love all the workers, all the players and, above all, the fans — they have an incredible warmth towards me. I still live there, so I feel that. And I wish the best to the owners, to Gary O’Neil (his replacement as head coach), to Matt Hobbs (sporting director), to Matt Wild (general manager), and to all the players. I am always going to be a little wolf.”

And..."It was not easy for me. It was a pity. I remember a lot of workers, and us too, we were crying. The environment and the commitment that we have created at Wolves in a short time is not normal. And I remember this with a big, heavy heart [and fat wallet]. This was special.”

So no actual lie.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
So no actual lie.
He did not have a big, heavy heart nor does he (or anybody else) consider himself a little wolf. **** off.

So what do you call it? A misrepresentation? A gross exaggeration? A delusion? Or just bull****? It's not truthful, that's for sure.

By the way, we have no actual information that Jeff lied, but you certainly see a lot of support for that sentiment among mixers...

P.S. The "**** off" is to Lopetegui, not to you.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That's pretty well the reality of it.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Especially given his history, I think he just had to stick it out. Sevilla ended very poorly. Real Madrid was a disaster. He needed to show some ****ing stability.

In his next job, is he going to bang on about new signings and "ambition" again regardless of what the club do?

I think it depends on what they tell him in his new job. If they get him to sign on one promise, then even before the end of the season tell him there is a money problem, then say he can sign players of a certain value, then change their minds again tell him he cant, i reckon he will have an issue.

Lets face it though, GON complains about not being able to get players and having a small squad when he took the job knowing this in the first place. Its not that different really to how it started with Lopetegui. Hopefully it doesnt escalate in the summer.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think it depends on what they tell him in his new job. If they get him to sign on one promise, then even before the end of the season tell him there is a money problem, then say he can sign players of a certain value, then change their minds again tell him he cant, i reckon he will have an issue.
Good thing he's going to West Ham. They would never.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To me he came across as an arrogant man who thought Wolves were beneath him. The way he treated Raul in that last game of the season was very poor.
Agree. I was desperate for him to come to Wolves and absolutely delighted when he joined. However, he seemed to create a lot of baggage and he became more important than the players. I wasnt too unhappy when he left as you could see he was becoming hard work.

Credit where its due as he did pull us out of relegation to survive.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

i just vomited

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree. I was desperate for him to come to Wolves and absolutely delighted when he joined. However, he seemed to create a lot of baggage and he became more important than the players. I wasnt too unhappy when he left as you could see he was becoming hard work.

Credit where its due as he did pull us out of relegation to survive.
he always thought of himself as too good for us, and look what happened.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
He did not have a big, heavy heart nor does he (or anybody else) consider himself a little wolf. **** off.

So what do you call it? A misrepresentation? A gross exaggeration? A delusion? Or just bull****? It's not truthful, that's for sure.

By the way, we have no actual information that Jeff lied, but you certainly see a lot of support for that sentiment among mixers...

P.S. The "**** off" is to Lopetegui, not to you.
That's entirely your opinion, there's no fact there to say he lied.

Meanwhile the actual facts are that Hobbs told us that the transfer plans changed twice, when there was no reason for that beyond Shi not having told either of them the truth about the finances. Then the lie by omission of Shi telling us that 'Lopetegui is working hard to prepare the team for the season ahead' when in fact he'd already agreed to him leaving.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes we stayed in the Premier league.
Having spent a small fortune which has set us right back going forward, which is not his fault by any means, but lets not pretend with that squad and spend, that he is a messiah in keeping us up. He did what he needed to with a much more talented and deeper squad than GON yet GON PPG is not a million miles away at all

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t like the bloke; but I really can’t see why West Ham fans would turn their noses up at him, he is clearly a quality and experienced manager.
I actually think he’d be successful at Man Utd…

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t like the bloke; but I really can’t see why West Ham fans would turn their noses up at him, he is clearly a quality and experienced manager.
I actually think he’d be successful at Man Utd…
If you can't see why west ham fans are against his appointment, then you're not looking at the full picture. We all know that the days when players, coaches, managers etc have the same emotional investment as the fans are long gone, but we expect ethical behaviour and credibility to be one of the character traits of our leaders.
We are just the last in a line of a string of appointments that, to say the least have stretched his credibility and given outsiders a view on the strength of his character.
I put him in a similar bracket as Hoddle, and he never worked in football management again.

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Having spent a small fortune which has set us right back going forward, which is not his fault by any means, but lets not pretend with that squad and spend, that he is a messiah in keeping us up. He did what he needed to with a much more talented and deeper squad than GON yet GON PPG is not a million miles away at all
A small fortune is right.
Cunha, Lemina, Gomes, Sarabia, Dawson and Bentley for about the same cost as Guedes, Collins and Kalajdic the previous Summer.

O'Neil has done well, he's also had Neto, would be interesting to see our record with and without him this season.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
If you can't see why west ham fans are against his appointment, then you're not looking at the full picture. We all know that the days when players, coaches, managers etc have the same emotional investment as the fans are long gone, but we expect ethical behaviour and credibility to be one of the character traits of our leaders.
We are just the last in a line of a string of appointments that, to say the least have stretched his credibility and given an outsiders view on the strength of his character.
I put him in a similar bracket as Hoddle, and he never worked in football management again.
That's a classic. You expect ethical behaviour from your leaders, but blame a guy who walked away because he was repeatedly lied to.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are just the last in a line of a string of appointments that, to say the least have stretched his credibility and given an outsiders view on the strength of his character.
As I said “I don’t like him”. In fact I have been one of the most forthright in my disdain of his behaviour here.
And I can’t claim to have sought out exactly why West Ham fans are against him. If it’s because of his ego and lack of loyalty then fair enough…. Ironic though if they call him on his loyalty while showing non to Moyes! Heard one on talkSPORT yesterday saying he’d prefer Potter, he jumped the Brighton ship soon as it suited him.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's a classic. You expect ethical behaviour from your leaders, but blame a guy who walked away because he was repeatedly lied to.
I know you like him, and know you'll hear no criticism without a strong rebuttal, but it's not just us, do you think ANY club's fans will accept him without strong reservations?
Whataboutism won't crack it with Lopetegui, it is possible to rise above a situation, but he chose not to.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A small fortune is right.
Cunha, Lemina, Gomes, Sarabia, Dawson and Bentley for about the same cost as Guedes, Collins and Kalajdic the previous Summer.

O'Neil has done well, he's also had Neto, would be interesting to see our record with and without him this season.
Cunha and co cost 88.5m Euros in the winter
Our previous winter spend in the years before was 5.3m Euros, 3m Euros, 19m Euros due to Podence, 21m Euros due to Jonny and 2.5m Euros.

Have to be fair and compare winter windows, as the spend is drastically different.
In the interests of being fair too, Cunha was a loan with a clause to buy in the summer.

He was backed extremely well.

Your Neto point again is valid, but has been more important to us simply because we have lacked options, which JL did not.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cunha and co cost 88.5m Euros in the winter
Our previous winter spend in the years before was 5.3m Euros, 3m Euros, 19m Euros due to Podence, 21m Euros due to Jonny and 2.5m Euros.

Have to be fair and compare winter windows, as the spend is drastically different.
In the interests of being fair too, Cunha was a loan with a clause to buy in the summer.

He was backed extremely well.

Your Neto point again is valid, but has been more important to us simply because we have lacked options, which JL did not.
In how many of those winter windows were we bottom of the league and in serious danger of relegation?

Back
Top Bottom