Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

England Women: The Lionesses

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Very clinical against Norway though.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are doing great and creating a shed load of chances, my only worry for them is the lack of a clinical finish, we could have absolutely smashed NI last night but we miss so many good chances, there will come a game where we aren't given so many opportunities and we will need to take one of the few we get
Agree
Those games start now,we have Spain or Denmark followed by probably the Netherlands all top teams but all beatable
Germany, France and us the stand outs so far

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought it was great. NI clearly miles behind in ability but defended hard and worked their backsides off, showed real pride in their shirts.

England stayed patient and their ability came through.

Won a few quid on England -3 to go on the lash with today as well :)

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought it was great. NI clearly miles behind in ability but defended hard and worked their backsides off, showed real pride in their shirts.

England stayed patient and their ability came through.

Won a few quid on England -3 to go on the lash with today as well :)
Wolves player, Turner?, on the bench for NI. A goal keeper though and the first choice keeper was probably their outstanding player.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Must admit I don't watch much womens football, just the occasional international, watched a few games of this tournament and have to say I think quality of the football has improved quite a lot. Only a few years ago I thought not many players looked like professional footballers apart from maybe Lucy Bronze but the current crop have really come on. Some of the long range passing has been superb, also they have improved leaps and bounds from an athletic pov.
Enjoyed what I've seen so far.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves player, Turner?, on the bench for NI. A goal keeper though and the first choice keeper was probably their outstanding player.
The keeper was very good with her starting position to cut of through balls. It’s little things like that will improve in the womens game over time.

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
Really wish Jeff would put his hands in the Fosun pocket and sign a couple of International stars for Wolves women.

European teams aside, the Villa are the only club outside the traditional big 6 who have a player in the England squad.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 28926

It’s this kind of thing that winds me up a bit. It’s just needless and pathetic.
This demonstrates the point made by other posters on the previous page. There is this strange, almost subversive media effort to have us think men and women's football are entirely analogous and interchangeable. For instance, I remember a Cup final a few years back, and the BBC host asked David James and Alex Scott, "You have both won two cup finals, so what sort of pressure are the players feeling right now?" ...as though their achievements and experiences were remotely comparable, or that Alex Scott was qualified to discuss what it was like to play in front of 90,000 people at Wembley, and 9m watching at home. Good on Ellen White, but to compare her to Alan freaking Shearer is just weird and as you say, a little bit pathetic.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really wish Jeff would put his hands in the Fosun pocket and sign a couple of International stars for Wolves women.

European teams aside, the Villa are the only club outside the traditional big 6 who have a player in the England squad.

It's pretty hard to do that when we aren't in the top womens league!

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree, you can’t be comparing the mens and womens england teams, it doesn’t serve any purpose at all. You should enjoy each individuals achievements in their own right.
Bang on. Same as with tennis; nobody compares Williams, Graff, Navratilova to Federer, Bjorg and McInroe.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Case in point about the media gas-lighting us into viewing the men and womens' games as indistinguishable. Sky et al see winding people up in this way and furiously debating it, as a business strategy. This tweet is clickbait.
Of course it's clickbait

And a load of fellas are triggered by it every single time and hammer away at their keyboards

And so the cycle goes...

R

reanswolf

Case in point about the media gas-lighting us into viewing the men and womens' games as indistinguishable. Sky et al see winding people up in this way and furiously debating it, as a business strategy. This tweet is clickbait.
Exactly what I was trying to highlight.

SSN are just tiresomely crap.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly, but as soon as someone says it's crap compared to the men's game they argue that they are different games

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ellen White is 53 goals behind Rooney's goals scored for the men's team, just the same as me. She plays a completely different game from men's football
I agree and if say she ends on more than Rooneys record, when Harry Kane gets there they won't mention that he's broken Ellen Whites record they will only make the point that he's broken Rooneys men's record

Wolf79

Groupie
Reaction score
I agree and if say she ends on more than Rooneys record, when Harry Kane gets there they won't mention that he's broken Ellen Whites record they will only make the point that he's broken Rooneys men's record
Never heard of Ellen White, if she was next to me a the bar I wouldn’t recognise her so let’s stop pretending that she’s some sort of super star player just because BBC can’t afford live PL football

Dingle Chris

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
While it’s all good fun and we’ll done to the woman’s game getting the big crowds and attention etc. I’m 5’6 and play in goal five a side now as my knees are shot and I might not be a starter but I’d expect to be a sub keeper for most of these teams. The level of keeping is awful.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While it’s all good fun and we’ll done to the woman’s game getting the big crowds and attention etc. I’m 5’6 and play in goal five a side now as my knees are shot and I might not be a starter but I’d expect to be a sub keeper for most of these teams. The level of keeping is awful.

Would you be a good keeper with full size goals.

Until they get some tall women playing in goal the problem will continue imo.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

Would you be a good keeper with full size goals.

Until they get some tall women playing in goal the problem will continue imo.
Maybe they should consider using smaller goals? There are precedents in other sports where the rules differ for male and females. e.g. golf, where the ladies are allowed to play all the holes from a lot closer starting position and tennis where the females only have to play 3 sets.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe they should consider using smaller goals? There are precedents in other sports where the rules differ for male and females. e.g. golf, where the ladies are allowed to play all the holes from a lot closer starting position and tennis where the females only have to play 3 sets.
Or maybe the size of the goals v size of the goalkeepers contributes to some of the scorelines and we all like to see goals.
I have enjoyed watching a few matches so far and think the quality of the football has largely been excellent in the games I have seen!

I would go as far as to say that there is not a single person on the mix that has played at as high a level as on display here!

Last edited:

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or maybe the size of the goals v size of the goalkeepers contributes to some of the shorelines and we all like to see goals.
I have enjoyed watching a few matches so far and think the quality of the football has largely been excellent in the games I have seen!

I would go as far as to say that there is not a single person on the mix that has played at as high a level as on display here!
I would say you are wrong there. There are blokes on here who have been on the books of male professional teams, @Tring Wolf for one I seem to remember. Sure there have been others but I can’t name them. That has to be a higher level.

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Or maybe the size of the goals v size of the goalkeepers contributes to some of the shorelines and we all like to see goals.

I played in Division 5 of the Wolverhampton Sunday League..does that count ? :)

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I coach girls football at various ages. I think technically there is a massive improvement on the way. Girls are getting into it younger and the lower age groups are going to be much better (much better) when they reach adulthood than the current teams.
I’d say my better younger girls are technically better than a lot of the boys of the same age at my club. Once puberty hits though and testosterone becomes a factor it’s game over from a strength & power point of view and all the technique in the world can’t offset it.
I also find in general (I stress in general not ALL) that boys watch more football and as such have a better understanding of the game. They are also more likely to play/practice independently.
As a final note I also find girls to be much more ‘coachable’ as they listen and try and perform what’s asked. I have my u11 girls playing multiple styles of the same system and understanding things like pressing triggers. Again a sweeping generalisation.

Last edited:

optimuswolf

Reaction score
Bang on. Same as with tennis; nobody compares Williams, Graff, Navratilova to Federer, Bjorg and McInroe.
Actually they do. Andy murray pointed out to a journo post his 2nd olympic gold that the williams sisters had more when they started saying he had broken some record or other

I tend to agree though, its better to concentrate on the women's game as its own entity. Its pretty nascent as you can see from a lot of the international results.

In fact the crying shame about the women's game is that its being even dominated by a couple of european teams than the mens game.

SanFranWolf

Reaction score
I know this thread is about the England but watching the Iceland v France game tonight, although they're going out, Iceland have a few useful players.

I hope Wolves women have their scouts watching...

Berglind Thorvaldsdottirtheir and Amanda Jacobson look decent players.

Last edited:

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know this thread is about the England but watching the Iceland v France game tonight, although they're going out, Iceland have a few useful players.

Berglind Thorvaldsdottirtheir looks a decent player.
The game taken in isolation, hasn’t been too bad. Still can’t see the ‘quality’ that others see. Although I’ll admit, it’s been refreshing to see a corner kick beat the first person.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Berglind Thorvaldsdottirtheir and Amanda Jacobson look decent players.
But, who is going to pay their air fare from Iceland and find them a job in the West Midlands? Wolves Women are not in that place as yet and Jeff not interested in putting them there from the last two interviews. Strictly amateur and homegrown for our women's team I fear. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
But, who is going to pay their air fare from Iceland and find them a job in the West Midlands? Wolves Women are not in that place as yet and Jeff not interested in putting them there from the last two interviews. Strictly amateur and homegrown for our women's team I fear. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing.
One look at castlecroft ground and I’m sure they’d be happy to play in the conference north they could get a job at Aldi whilst they wait for wolves to get promoted to the championship

SanFranWolf

Reaction score
I disagree with the way that Shi is running Wolves in many ways.

This is one of tbem

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I disagree with the way that Shi is running Wolves in many ways.

This is one of tbem
Maybe an opportunity for external investment, in partnership with Fosun, but specifically into the Women's team? If so the legacy period after the Euro's might be the time to encourage it.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would say you are wrong there. There are blokes on here who have been on the books of male professional teams, @Tring Wolf for one I seem to remember. Sure there have been others but I can’t name them. That has to be a higher level.
Didn’t the US national team lose quite heavily to a boys U-15 school team? So anyone that’s played for their secondary school team would be a higher level.

Back
Top Bottom