Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Everton verdict

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sa - 6.5 - some good saves, one almighty wobble. I like him though, he's obviously bonkers
Saiss - 7.5 - played well tonight tbf
Coady - 7.5 - the same
Kilman - 7.5 - solid, scored
Ait Nouri - 8 - this is why I've been banging on about the lad, he's gonna be top class
Semedo - 7 - Solid, really good defensively
Neves - 8 - class tonight
Moutinho - 7.5 - fantastic first half
Hwang - 7 - I like him a lot; gotta be honest I was critical of the signing but he's a great lad to have in the side
Trincao - 7 - ooh now he's a strange one... I'd have hooked him after 65 mins but in the first half he showed why he's starting. I just wish he was stronger
Jiminez - 8 - good link up play, nice goal

Everton were cack but the way we broke up play, passed in tight situations and created chances in that first half they were unsurprisingly rattled.
Good review with an extra point for including the word cack, takes me back to Wolvo in the 1970. Do people still use it?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Must admit, Trincao doesn’t cut it for me .

Pathetic in challenges and misses as many chances as traore does - without getting the same criticism. Lovely build up play but pointless if you miss from 6 yards
So we just ignore his role in opening up Everton and linking up with the other forwards?

jim_boner

Groupie
Reaction score
A very good win to keep our run of form going, and nice to see us in 7th and in close proximity to the top 4 (albeit with a tough run of games to come).
The most pleasing part of the game was the return of ‘Brunoball’ in the first half. We were absolutely excellent and could have been 5-0 up at half time but for VAR and Pickford. Everton improved in the 2nd half and I think we weren’t sure whether to stick or twist but we managed to see it out.
I don’t think it’s any coincidence that returning to Neves and moutinho in midfield availed our best performance since the first few games (when they were also the starting pairing).
Ratings:
Sa - had his pipe and slippers on for the first half. One hairy moment which could have cost us when he gifted it to richarlison, but then saved us with a big save from Gordon. 6.5
Kilman -
so pleased for him getting his first goal. But another excellent all round performance for probably our POTS so far. Made a crucial challenge to disrupt gray after Saiss’s mistake. 8
Coady
- a few crucial blocks/tackles at crucial times showed how well he reads the game. Been very solid all season and continued that in this game. 7.5
Saiss -
generally steady apart from one aberration which nearly cost us a goal. Played decent but would still rather see boly back in the side. 7
Semedo -
very solid display. The tricky gray never really got the better of him and got into some decent positions going forward. Set up Raul nicely for what would have been the clincher. 8
Ait-Nouri -
another very encouraging performance from the young man. Starting to look a lot steadier defensively now and adds far more going forward than marcal. Always looked dangerous with the ball at his feet. 7.5
Neves -
I always say it, but when Neves plays well, wolves play well. He was magnificent here. Completely bossed the midfield, barely misplaced a pass and looked really creative. Also an excellent volley which was well saved by Pickford. MOTM. 9
Moutinho -
overshadowed by Neves but no shame in that and certainly played his part. Lots of clever passes between the lines to get us on the front foot. 8
Trincao -
was a little surprised to see him start ahead of Adama and podence but fully justified it with his best performance in a wolves shirt IMO. He looks so classy on the ball. Lots of smart link up play with Raul and hwang and could easily have scored. His long range effort in the first half was sublime and came close with a toe poke that he probably should have scored. 8
Hwang -
continues to look a very astute signing and very unlucky not to score yet another goal with VAR denying what was a smart finish. Put in a lot of effort defensively too and looked tired when replaced late on. 7.5
Raul -
back to his brilliant best. For me, this was comfortably his best performance since the horrific injury. His ball control and link up play were sublime, he ran at them with pace and frightened the life out of their defence. And the goal was just beautiful. Very unlucky not to have a 2nd when his header hit the post. Maybe his heading with the headband is the only outstanding question now. 8.5

Subs
Podence -
was a little surprised he came on ahead of traore as I thought the outright speed of adama would be handy on the break with Everton pushing for an equaliser. Podence did ok, although nothing really came off for him.
Donk/fabio - neither were really on long enough to be rated. N/A

More of that please Bruno, particularly the first half. The return of the Ruben and Joao in the middle with the wing-backs causing problems, plus the smart inter-play of that front 3 make us look a very decent team.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa - 6.5 - some good saves, one almighty wobble. I like him though, he's obviously bonkers
Saiss - 7.5 - played well tonight tbf
Coady - 7.5 - the same
Kilman - 7.5 - solid, scored
Ait Nouri - 8 - this is why I've been banging on about the lad, he's gonna be top class
Semedo - 7 - Solid, really good defensively
Neves - 8 - class tonight
Moutinho - 7.5 - fantastic first half
Hwang - 7 - I like him a lot; gotta be honest I was critical of the signing but he's a great lad to have in the side
Trincao - 7 - ooh now he's a strange one... I'd have hooked him after 65 mins but in the first half he showed why he's starting. I just wish he was stronger
Jiminez - 8 - good link up play, nice goal

Everton were cack but the way we broke up play, passed in tight situations and created chances in that first half they were unsurprisingly rattled.
Not bad, but think I’d have given Kilman an 8 as reward for his goal. Probably also a 7 for Sa. Brain fart aside, he did nothing wrong, made an excellent save, controlled his box and distributed well.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That opening 35/40 mins was as much I've enjoyed watching Wolves since the pandemic, maybe even before. We we brilliant, Everton couldn't touch us. Our movement, passing through the lines, pressing, winning the ball back... just everything was spot on and as others have said 4-0 would have been a fair reflection of the game

Yes, Everton got it tactically wrong and that didn't help. They changed it and were better and had us a bit wobbly for spells, but they were never dominating like we were at the start and it was still a much deserved win... and if Raul's header goes in or Trincao doesn't have another meltdown in front of goal it's more comfortable

Sa - That horror moment aside was very good and a superb save from Gordon. 7
Semedo - Didn't put a foot wrong today and got forward well. 8
Saiss - Solid and good distribution. Once slice aside was a good performance. 7
Coady - Also solid. a few typical blocks and commanded the back line well. 7
Kilman - Brillaint again and so deserved his goal, not just for today but for his season so far. Cap him Gareth! 8
Ait-Nouri - Just superb. Great assist delivery for Kilmans goal, but second half when we were on the back foot his defensive quality came to the fore and at one time won the back back 3 times in about 5 mins. Must play now. 9 MOTM
Neves - Had a great game. Throwing himself around and blocking, tackling and his passing was top notch. 9
Moutinho. Hardly remember him giving he ball away and had a very Joao like game (at his best). 8
Trincao. Did well, first half was excellent and good in moments in the second. Just needs to unscramble his brain in front of goal! But to be fair Pickford has made a great save in the 1st half to deny him. 8
Hee-Chan. Another all action display, unlucky not to score 1st half and was involved in so much of our best play. Automatic pick now. 8
Jimenez. First World Class performance from Raul since injury, back to his best, and his best is as good as anyone out there. Touch, control, power, driving at defenders and a classy finish. He's back, like, really back. 9

Bruno got his tactics spot on for the start of the game. Hoping we could counter Everton's change in shape a bit better that got them back in the game but all in all he got the selection right with Trincao

That was a performance we can say we deserve to be 7th with, and looking up the table

I agree with all of that. I think Podence was the wrong sub to make, he doesn’t naturally close down/ fight for the ball. He wants to play and conceded possession in some poor areas towards the end of the game. For me the sub to make would have been Traore. Something tells me Traore will start against Palace.

RAN was incredible tonight as was Neves, his undoubted talent couple with his desire and commitment is a joy to behold. The way he takes the ball down and dictates play is great to see. Fabian Delph, to be fair, made a big difference to Everton when he came on.

One other thing…. Iwobe is utter horse****, you know it, I know it, everyone knows it..so how come he always scores against us?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No - he has good link up play, but forwards need to finish chances, and his miss could have cost us big time today
By the same token, you could say the same for Raul clipping the post, or Hwang getting himself marginally offside. All three played well together and made good use of the space between the two banks of Everton players. Yes he should have scored, but Raul missed some sitters early in the season too. It’s confidence and he’s still after his first PL goal, and still bulking up so he’s not so easily pushed off the ball. He’s clearly got immense potential, and we’ve got a whole season to see if he can prove he can realise it in the PL.

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2nd half Delph completely cut off Trincao who barely kicked the ball. Bruno should have reacted then and brought Adama on to give us another ball progression option
Is this the same Trincao who Holgate brought down on the edge of the area when through and who should have scored when in front of goal? Not really sure how Delph completely cut him off?
I know you are a massive Adama fan and he may well have been a good option with Everton pushing on a little second half, but I do think Bruno got the team spot on the way Everton set up initially and aside from the miss I thought Trincao was very good for most of the game.
I also thought Neves and RAN were excellent tonight and great to see Raul bag his first home goal of the season.
Moutinho was also very good in those first 30 minutes.
One thing that concerned me is that the pressing in that first half put Everton on the back foot and led to mistakes. When we dropped off it let them back in the game when they were definitely there for the taking.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Frankly, if hes a 32m player to make him permanent I wouldnt be paying it on the performances so far. He has an incredible touch, gets into good positions but then inexplicably takes either the wrong option or slows the game down, turns back and kills promising moves. I find him a peculiar player.
It could be that he’s 21, incredibly talented, but still relatively inexperienced at top level.
Probably moved to Barca far earlier than was good for him.
Decision making and composure are a rarity in youngsters, look how much Neto came on in exactly those things during second season.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Is this the same Trincao who Holgate brought down on the edge of the area when through and who should have scored when in front of goal? Not really sure how Delph completely cut him off?
I know you are a massive Adama fan and he may well have been a good option with Everton pushing on a little second half, but I do think Bruno got the team spot on the way Everton set up initially and aside from the miss I thought Trincao was very good for most of the game.
I also thought Neves and RAN were excellent tonight and great to see Raul bag his first home goal of the season.
One thing that concerned me is that the pressing in that first half put Everton on the back foot and led to mistakes. When we dropped off it let them back in the game when they were definitely there for the taking.
Trincao had the 2nd least touches in the team after Sa. And he certainly got on the ball in the first half. He did absolutely nothing other than miss a sitter and one break down the right in 2nd half.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
First half dominant fantastic tactics.
Second half dreadful tactics could have thrown it away.

Neves MoM

Great for kilman to score

Exquisite finish from raul

Team guilty of getting a bit ****y at times, keep focussed.

Sorry can't get on trincao love in, decent if your on top awful if your not.

A wanderer from Bristol

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably going to get pelters but I actually don’t mind Karen Cairney. She’s actually pretty insightful.
Agree with that. And she does her homework. Speaks with authority on wolves and able to explain how Wolves were playing in between the lines until Benitez belatedly shored things up. By then it was too late

DarloWolf

Reaction score
good post but by putting Adama on we wouldn't of suffered so much the subs were ****

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think to be fair to Everton, we should recognise that Rafa tweaked his formation after the second goal to stop us getting between their lines so easily. He then brought on Delph at HT which further firmed them up. Bruno did indeed get it spot on in his initial setup, but I was a little disappointed he didn’t counter the changes Rafa made, and think we rode our luck more than we needed to. Still, it worked out in the end.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First half dominant fantastic tactics.
Second half dreadful tactics could have thrown it away.

Neves MoM

Great for kilman to score

Exquisite finish from raul

Team guilty of getting a bit ****y at times, keep focussed.

Sorry can't get on trincao love in, decent if your on top awful if your not.
'dreadful tactics' in football there are two teams you know.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It could be that he’s 21, incredibly talented, but still relatively inexperienced at top level.
Probably moved to Barca far earlier than was good for him.
Decision making and composure are a rarity in youngsters, look how much Neto came on in exactly those things during second season.
I agree and if the buy clause was 10m I wouldnt have so much of an issue but, based on what I/you have seen thus far, would you pay 25-30m for him as it stands?

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lage makes too many correct decisions for it to be luck. He clearly has something about him.

We are far from perfect, but sometimes it’s good to take a step back and appreciate just how good we now have it. Just a few short years ago this week we signed Grant Holt. We now have a squad of wonderful football players.

2-3 Lage signings added to this squad and anything is possible.
Well said Sedge

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Ruben was absolutely exceptional tonight. Joao did well also, it's neither of their fault but we get run through in the midfield easily and the can't recover. I'd love to see them both foul more in that situation

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m struggling with the stats, saying Everton had more shots than us? 14 shots? Did I miss a bit where they had 5 or 6 in a minute? There again the BBC claim Holgate had a chance in the first half, yet he was miles off and flagged off for it, I guess going on their reporting we won 3-1!!

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m struggling with the stats, saying Everton had more shots than us? 14 shots? Did I miss a bit where they had 5 or 6 in a minute? There again the BBC claim Holgate had a chance in the first half, yet he was miles off and flagged off for it, I guess going on their reporting we won 3-1!!
saying we had no shots on target 2nd half.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brilliant win and performance, even if those last few minutes were a bit more nervy than they needed to be.

Absolutely scintillating first half where only a marginal offside decision and some inspired goalkeeping from Pickford kept the score somewhat respectable. 4-0 at half-time wouldn’t have flattered us at all.

Second half they were always going to have a go but we could (and should) have killed the game with Raul hitting the post and Trincao (who was excellent) missing an absolute sitter.

Sa was a real mixed bag. One horrible moment that changed the momentum of the game but redeemed himself with an absolutely magnificent save from Gordon’s header.

Back three (one Saiss slice apart) were all very good. Kilman must be knocking on the door of the England squad. Coady was heroic on more than one occasion and Saiss was aggressive and excellent with his distribution.

Both wing-backs were fantastic. Semedo absolutely faultless throughout and Ait-Nouri was a revelation. Have said it for a while now but he is going all the way to the top. Crazy that he is that good at this age.

Neves and Moutinho both superb on the ball and their pressing was excellent.

Trincao brilliant and ran the show in the first half. Found pockets of space at will and so unlucky not to score with a wonderful shot in the first half.

Hwang lively throughout and for the first time since Jota, we have someone who is on the same wavelength as Raul.

Speaking of which, Raul was magnificent. Consistently drove with purpose at their back four and such a composed finish for the goal. What a moment to see him back scoring at Molineux and for that, he probably just pips Trincao, RAN and Neves for Man of the Match.

Sa 6
Coady 7
Saiss 7
Kilman 7
Semedo 8
Neves 8
Moutinho 8
RAN 8
Trincao 8
Raul 8
Hwang 7

Podence 6
Dendoncker N/A
Fabio N/A

Really enjoyed the nature of the performance which was far more in keeping with those at the start of the season. Just fantastic that this time it brought us the reward it deserved.

Well done Bruno and the boys, great stuff.
Excellent summary Tring, I also would give MoM to Neves.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How come Holgate never got a card -joke?
Should have got at least two which would have resulted in red
Pull back on Trincao and the tackle on the edge of the box again on Trincao
They were definitely yellowsIMO

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Not just relevant to today, but hitting the woodwork is on target. Hwangs disallowed goal hit the woodwork before going in! It’s bonkers to say it’s off target
It isn't classed as on target stats wise

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think to be fair to Everton, we should recognise that Rafa tweaked his formation after the second goal to stop us getting between their lines so easily. He then brought on Delph at HT which further firmed them up. Bruno did indeed get it spot on in his initial setup, but I was a little disappointed he didn’t counter the changes Rafa made, and think we rode our luck more than we needed to. Still, it worked out in the end.
I get that and while we now have good options out wide, a more dynamic midfielder and a pacy centre half would have given us more options in those areas too and sadly Bruno was not backed when he was clear we needed players in.
The ability to switch to a back four is surely still the long term goal as it would give us the option of bolstering the midfield if needed or giving us an additional attacking option when chasing a game.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No - he has good link up play, but forwards need to finish chances, and his miss could have cost us big time today

He is basically Traore with a footballing brain, so basically able to fit into a team without completely and utterly ruining the fluency. Light years ahead of Traore as a footballer.

Living at other WWFC

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not long back home.
Last time I was there, I took my children. It was against Brentford. I was afraid that the kids would call Childline afterwards despite the family bonding experience of cack.
The poor creatures missed out on tonight's splendid show. But this would be a bit late for bed on a school night.
Ahhh, mustn't forget that I will be a productive citizen in the morning.
A smiling one. There was some outstanding football.

Last edited:

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Archetypal game of two halves with Wolves so dominant in the first that we could have been 4 or 5 up at the break. Of course, being Wolves, it wouldn't last and second half, despite some good moments, Everton dominated and scored to give us a nervy finish. I'm not sure if we did our typical sitting on a lead or if Everton were just so much better. Whatever it was, it was edge of the seats time, before ref Atkinson (who had a decent game) blew when the five minutes of extra-time were up.
Kilman got his first goal for Wolves, Raul struck a classy second, seizing on an Everton mistake and Hwang was unlucky to be rightly flagged offside. Raul also hit the post, Trincao missed a sitter and all-in-all, it would have been an enjoyable game for the neutral. Unfortunately, I am not neutral and my heart would be better for a regulation win without the Everton revival.

Ratings;

Sa - 6 - One awful mistake when he nearly gifted Richalison and one fine save from Gordon, otherwise he did OK.
Kilman - 7.5 - His first (hopefully of many) goals for the club in a confident performance.
Coady - 7.5 - Spraying passes like he can do. Never troubled in the first half. Might have scored from a Pickford save.
Saiss - 7 - Did OK, one sliced clearance aside.
Semedo - 7.5 - Defensively sound.
RAN - 8 - RAN (see what I did there!) his socks off. Attacked Everton continually down the left, combining well with Hwang.
Neves - 8 - One of his better games for Wolves of late. Seemed to be everywhere. Must learn to better use free kicks.
Moutinho - 6 - Not as dominant as his mate in midfield, but did his share when Everton were on top.
Hwang - 7 - One ruled out for offside. Might have done better when he faffed in the box, but a thorn in Everton's left.
Raul - 8 - Classy finish from poor Everton backpass. Back to his best? Not far off!
Trincao - 7 - Some questioned his inclusion and in the first half he answered in the positive faded in the second, and should have scored his first league goal for Wolves.

Subs;

Podence - N/A - Sent on for a visibly tired Trincao. Didn't really contribute.
Donck - N/A - A substitution to disrupt the last few minutes.
Silva - N/A - See Donck.

Lage got the selection right, despite some (me included) questioning Trincao starting. Late with changing things when Evrton were clearly on top, but in the first half we clearly saw signs of what he is trying to achieve. More of the same, but please ensure we get 90 minutes of it, Bruno.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just watched the game. Excellent first half, let them back into the game second half but i thought we were well worth our victory. Neves was immense, but we had good performances everywhere.

I'll get the usual flak and get accused of being anti Adama, but we look much more fluid outfit in attack without him. We dont have to rely on individual brilliance like he is capable of because we are a better unit overall imo when he isnt there. As good as he can be, i just dont think he fits this system. We do need Trincao or whoever plays as the third attacker to start scoring some goals now though.

Stingray II

Reaction score
it's been a while since I enjoyed a game so much. We played some wonderful football tonight. I love how our players have "good feet" and can pass off accurately and quickly when pressed. And we posed a goal threat. Kudos to Everton for the fightback. I feared they'd take a point and it added to my adrenaline rush. Brilliant game.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the way to the ground I heard Adrian Durham hypothesising about Benitez and his possible future, "what if Wolves were to win 5-0? What then?", had a little wry smile to myself thinking it would be quite nice if that happened. Thirty-two minutes into the game, 2-0 up, one ruled out for offside, Pickford making a couple of good saves and that crazy thought of 5-0 seemed like it could be a reality!

First half we were superb, a return to the opening games of the season. High pressing, high intensity, Everton couldn't cope, and this time we got (some of) the goals our play deserved and really could have been out of sight. Not to be though and it wouldn't be Wolves without making hard work of things. Second half Everton were better, we were deeper, and after Coady and then Sa almost gifted Everton a way back into the game, they finally took a chance that they sort of made themselves to give us a nervy final few minutes. Had our own chances to put the game to bed but Sa did brilliantly to tip away Everton's final throw of the dice.

A very well deserved three points and great to see us really on the front foot again. This I can get on board with!

Some great individual performances, but have to say, Jimenez is something else, he really is something very special and appears like he's almost playing with all the pressure off. MOTM for me

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everton fans unhappy with Paellardyce.
May have just been me, but he wasn’t particularly gracious in his after match interview? Was asked if the first half was down to us playing well or tactics and immediately responded ‘tactics’ I would have said a bit of ‘both’ and given us some credit personally, but typical Benitez? It’s always nice to see him a bit upset after the game when we’ve played one of his sides.

Last edited:

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely loved the first half so aggressive so much attacking intent and threat. Second half I think Everton had a half time *******ing and they were better but we got the job done so delighted. A couple of points though I said it before but Bruno seems to leave subs very late and are strange when they do arrive. I think Trincao could have come off 10 or 15 minutes earlier to be replaced by either of Podence or Traore. I know Podence did get introduced but by the time he came on he didn’t have enough time to get into the game properly. Second thing is we are so close to being a top 8 maybe even top 6 team Bruno really does need backing in January.
That’s the word for me right there - aggressive. We really were, absolutely hounded them first half.

In the second half they had a high press which panicked us a lot but wr carved them open many times. Even in the second half we could and should have put the game to bed earlier.

What is this witchcraft of playing through the middle too? Almost looked odd we’ve seen it that little for the last 5 years.

We looked different and in a very, very good way.

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds like a good win.

I tried to find a way to watch the game live (you know what I mean) but nothing worked out so can't really comment on anything else much

Back
Top Bottom