Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves Women - News and Info

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe take an aeroplane or two.....

NAG

Groupie
Reaction score
Confirmation that the Newcastle game will be at Kingston Park with a 1300 Kick Off.... (11th Dec) The Ipswich Women Supporters group report that it's a nice stadium with the ability to get a good pint whilst watching the game....

Don't forget that there is a game on Sunday vs Durham Cestria (same league as Newcastle) at Compton with a 1300 KO for that as well. Ticket's available via the club website.....

NAG

Groupie
Reaction score
7-0 win against Durham Cestria to see us into the next round of the League Cup.... Still regionalised in the QF's so will be a team we know looking at the other fixtures...

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
7-0 win against Durham Cestria to see us into the next round of the League Cup.... Still regionalised in the QF's so will be a team we know looking at the other fixtures...

Is there any point in these fixtures?

It seems like the equivalent of a championship side being allowed to play in the FA Trophy.

Every week I see our side win comfortably and it will be the same again next season when we are stuck in the same division and in the same crappy cup competitions.

Over to you Baroness Sue Campbell CBE

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is there any point in these fixtures?

It seems like the equivalent of a championship side being allowed to play in the FA Trophy.

Every week I see our side win comfortably and it will be the same again next season when we are stuck in the same division and in the same crappy cup competitions.

Over to you Baroness Sue Campbell CBE
This was a cup competition, so always going to be disparities. Having said that you need to understand how far the women's game has come over the past few years. Money and interest has come into the game after years of neglect. There really isn't a consistent standard, even in the region's, let alone nationally. It will take a long time to establish a "pyramid" set-up similar to the men's - which has had over a hundred years to develop. Don't expect things to just follow the pattern of the men's game overnight.

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This was a cup competition, so always going to be disparities. Having said that you need to understand how far the women's game has come over the past few years. Money and interest has come into the game after years of neglect. There really isn't a consistent standard, even in the region's, let alone nationally. It will take a long time to establish a "pyramid" set-up similar to the men's - which has had over a hundred years to develop. Don't expect things to just follow the pattern of the men's game overnight.

I don’t need to understand anything!

The international level and WSL has come on leaps and bounds thanks mainly to investment from owners of the mens games and Increased exposure from media companies like sky. The rest of the pyramid is still a complete farce and I feel for teams like Wolves and the other teams in their league who have very little to play for each season. Like I said further up the thread when wolves win the league it’s unlikely they will get promoted anyway. It’s all very Sunday league esque.

What I don’t understand is how teams like Wolves are stuck in the lower leagues with little chance of promotion despite continued improvement year on year when a club like Man Utd can go straight to the Championship on the day they were formed.

How can you say it will take a long time to establish a pyramid like the mens game? They could simply copy it from next season by increasing the amount of teams promoted and relegated and introduce play offs to create more interesting games toward the end of the season.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t need to understand anything!

The international level and WSL has come on leaps and bounds thanks mainly to investment from owners of the mens games and Increased exposure from media companies like sky. The rest of the pyramid is still a complete farce and I feel for teams like Wolves and the other teams in their league who have very little to play for each season. Like I said further up the thread when wolves win the league it’s unlikely they will get promoted anyway. It’s all very Sunday league esque.

What I don’t understand is how teams like Wolves are stuck in the lower leagues with little chance of promotion despite continued improvement year on year when a club like Man Utd can go straight to the Championship on the day they were formed.

How can you say it will take a long time to establish a pyramid like the mens game? They could simply copy it from next season by increasing the amount of teams promoted and relegated and introduce play offs to create more interesting games toward the end of the season.
No they couldn't! The quality / standards of players, club's and general infrastructure is very fluid in the women's game at present. The difficulties that regional disparities can cause has been a problem in men's non-leaguge football for decades and there are no easy solutions. Add to this the very real vested interests and "political" positions that always bedevil those who administer grass roots sport, together with both benevolent and malevolent interference from outside commercial interests in a period where there are pecieved "opportunities" for profit or publicity.
Just how do you fairly establish the relative positions that club's will take up in your "copy" of the men's pyramid? You cannot assume, for example, that the association with professional, or semi-professional mens club's is the same in each instance, or represents where the women's club of the same name might fit in the hierarchy, nor that the stability or completitveness of teams will remain the same from one season to the next.
The professional league has only just been established and it's formation has had a huge impact on the game at lower levels, which remains largely amateur, but that does not mean that the resources have been, or will be, fairly distributed to those levels. It will take time to establish a competitive structure.

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No they couldn't! The quality / standards of players, club's and general infrastructure is very fluid in the women's game at present. The difficulties that regional disparities can cause has been a problem in men's non-leaguge football for decades and there are no easy solutions. Add to this the very real vested interests and "political" positions that always bedevil those who administer grass roots sport, together with both benevolent and malevolent interference from outside commercial interests in a period where there are pecieved "opportunities" for profit or publicity.
Just how do you fairly establish the relative positions that club's will take up in your "copy" of the men's pyramid? You cannot assume, for example, that the association with professional, or semi-professional mens club's is the same in each instance, or represents where the women's club of the same name might fit in the hierarchy, nor that the stability or completitveness of teams will remain the same from one season to the next.
The professional league has only just been established and it's formation has had a huge impact on the game at lower levels, which remains largely amateur, but that does not mean that the resources have been, or will be, fairly distributed to those levels. It will take time to establish a competitive structure.

Keep the structure as it is but add in play offs and more than one promotion and relegation.

For example have 2 automatic relegation spots from the Championship down to the Northern and Southern leagues and allow the winners of those leagues to both gain automatic promotion.

Then introduce a play offs in the north and south featuring the teams who finish 2nd,3rd &4th. 4th plays away to 3rd with the winner playing away the the team who finishes 2nd in a regional final. The winner then plays the winner of the other regional final for the chance the play the team who finishes 3rd from bottom in the championship.

That could easily be introduced next season and has instantly made both leagues more interesting.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Keep the structure as it is but add in play offs and more than one promotion and relegation.

For example have 2 automatic relegation spots from the Championship down to the Northern and Southern leagues and allow the winners of those leagues to both gain automatic promotion.

Then introduce a play offs in the north and south featuring the teams who finish 2nd,3rd &4th. 4th plays away to 3rd with the winner playing away the the team who finishes 2nd in a regional final. The winner then plays the winner of the other regional final for the chance the play the team who finishes 3rd from bottom in the championship.

That could easily be introduced next season and has instantly made both leagues more interesting.
You may well be right and I am sure such alternatives are being considered. It is easy to come up with tidy solutions from the outside, but the club's and leagues know the issues. The big problem, as far as I can see - also from the outside - is the enormous step up to level 2, where the full-time semi-pro clubs operate. I suspect that the answer would probably be some kind of licencing system, or some other way of establishing commercial, as well as competitive, viability. I suspect however that this would not go down well in some quarters. It is a very similar situation that exists in other sports, where there is a much smaller and concentrated fully professional elite than we are used to in UK men's football. Rugby League is a good example and the relationship between Super League, the Championship and the amateur game in that sport is a constant source of angst! The huge and progressive pyramid of men's Association Football is something that is not easily replicated, even if it were desirable to do so.

NAG

Groupie
Reaction score
Without replying to all points individually...

Wolves are going through a period of playing cup games so always a chance to play weaker sides - I think to be fair to Durham and Wolves our girls were on fire today (best performance of the season according to Macca) so I think on another day the result would have been closer. Come the 18th when we play Boldmere in the County Cup it will be far tighter as they are in the same league as us. And I expect next Sunday away at Newcastle will also be tougher.

As to the wider structure - you can't just expand one league/tier as this has knock on impacts with other cups/tiers as well - it needs to be done from the top down in a structured way. Everyone wants rid of the end of season playoff game between Northern & Southern Champs but it has to be done right. There is more money in the game - more of the Championship are now professional than previously. But there is limited resources/funding from both clubs and the FA. For example it's reported that for Southampton to go pro after the playoff they were putting in about £2million. £2m to a PL club is peanuts but it goes a long way in the women's game.

As to the pyramid the SE League (so one below Wolves in the Southern half) has only got 11 teams after all the best players from a team were poached by Norwich when Norwich started putting some effort into their team - the team they left couldn't get enough players/were getting beat heavily week in/week out so they folded... The pyramid whilst there is still very fragile - what comes from women's football being banned for 50 years and then not invested in properly till the last 20 years. Realistically it's 80 years behind the men's game in terms of structure etc.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Without replying to all points individually...

Wolves are going through a period of playing cup games so always a chance to play weaker sides - I think to be fair to Durham and Wolves our girls were on fire today (best performance of the season according to Macca) so I think on another day the result would have been closer. Come the 18th when we play Boldmere in the County Cup it will be far tighter as they are in the same league as us. And I expect next Sunday away at Newcastle will also be tougher.

As to the wider structure - you can't just expand one league/tier as this has knock on impacts with other cups/tiers as well - it needs to be done from the top down in a structured way. Everyone wants rid of the end of season playoff game between Northern & Southern Champs but it has to be done right. There is more money in the game - more of the Championship are now professional than previously. But there is limited resources/funding from both clubs and the FA. For example it's reported that for Southampton to go pro after the playoff they were putting in about £2million. £2m to a PL club is peanuts but it goes a long way in the women's game.

As to the pyramid the SE League (so one below Wolves in the Southern half) has only got 11 teams after all the best players from a team were poached by Norwich when Norwich started putting some effort into their team - the team they left couldn't get enough players/were getting beat heavily week in/week out so they folded... The pyramid whilst there is still very fragile - what comes from women's football being banned for 50 years and then not invested in properly till the last 20 years. Realistically it's 80 years behind the men's game in terms of structure etc.
Pretty much as I suspected. Automatic promotion and relegation are often not the best solution when feeding an amateur league structure in to an even modestly funded semi-professional or professional set-up. It may not seem fair and there will always be apparent injustices, but club's often need time to settle into a competitive structure and some allowance has to be made for imbalance in resources. The situation you outline with Norwich can easily become common when these kinds of disparities exist, especially if the rewards, or apparent rewards, for competing at the higher level are significant and there is not adequate regulation on the financial or organisational side of things. As I said in my previous post, club's and leagues will be aware of the situation and hopefully make adjustments which allow an organic growth of the game. It is easy to suggest neat and tidy organisational change from outside, but the reality is sometimes very different. The women's game has transformed beyond recognition in recent years and expecting it to mirror the men's pyramid, which is itself a pretty unique system in world football, may be unrealistic. I also hope that commercial realities allow for women's football to continue to avoid some of the worst excesses of professional football, as demonstrated by the men's game, and give girls and women at all levels the opportunity to participate in the sport.

NAG

Groupie
Reaction score
Cracking game... Quality performances all over the pitch - got to pick out Bec Thomas in goal for saving a penalty and the retake & Beth Merrick for her two cracking goals....

Whilst 5-1 - Newcastle could have got a couple of goals and made it a lot closer we were more clinical in attack (and missed plenty!!) and solid in defence...

Draw for the next round is tomorrow at 1900 on the FA Player/FA Cup Social Media; in this draw the WSL teams enter so we could end up with a big teams such as Man City etc....

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cracking game... Quality performances all over the pitch - got to pick out Bec Thomas in goal for saving a penalty and the retake & Beth Merrick for her two cracking goals....

Whilst 5-1 - Newcastle could have got a couple of goals and made it a lot closer we were more clinical in attack (and missed plenty!!) and solid in defence...

Draw for the next round is tomorrow at 1900 on the FA Player/FA Cup Social Media; in this draw the WSL teams enter so we could end up with a big teams such as Man City etc....
A WSL side like a United or City at home please, so we can fill out Molineux!

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Some good highlights from the Newcastle match here. This guy is a Gateshead fan and covers all the Gateshead games and as I go now and again I always look up his videos. He also does some of local North East games and went to the game yesterday. Looked like a very good performance from the women. If you don't want to see his journey to the game and the intro, just skip forward to 4:25

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really annoying - according to the FA Full Time website the game on Sunday has been moved to Tuesday night and now clashes with the men's game...

FFS, can’t get to either with work, gutted! :grimacing: :mad:

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really annoying - according to the FA Full Time website the game on Sunday has been moved to Tuesday night and now clashes with the men's game...

I don't know about at national level, but in Leicestershire, all youth games scheduled for a 2pm kick off have either been brought forward to a 12/12.30 kick off or postponed due to the World Cup final.

NAG

Groupie
Reaction score
Club confirmed this game has been moved and now clashes with the men's game....

NAG

Groupie
Reaction score

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Wolves Women Pod have recorded an episode discussing the draw.... Some interesting points made...

The Cup Game now confirmed at New Bucks Head for 1pm on Sunday January 29th.

If we get into Round 4 of the Men’s comp, I hope to lord it doesn’t clash with this, this is a fabulous opportunity to pack out New Bucks Head!

NAG

Groupie
Reaction score
The league have chucked a game in on Sunday against Fylde at the New Bucks Head 1400 KO.... Short notice and disappointing from the league.... Hope plenty of people are still able to get down to the New Bucks Head...

NAG

Groupie
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom