Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves greatest ever come-backs

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
7th February 1987. One-nil down at home to Stockport County. Won 3-1. This was more than just coming back from one-nil down, this was the true start (on the pitch) of the greatest comeback from any Wolves team.

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Glad you decided not to leave. Always staying until the end was one of the first things my dad thought me about football.

It's a shame Kachloul couldn't stay fit as he looked pretty useful that day.
Very good advice from your dad and this game was the example I used when teaching my son that same lesson.

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Talking about leaving games early I’ve just remembered when I was working in Manchester back in 2012 that there was a guy in the office who was jokingly known as “the Man City fan who left the play-off final early”. I asked him about it and he told me: 1999 play-off final v Gillingham and he left before full-time when they were losing 2-0 and he had no mobile and drove all the way home from Wembley to Manchester in a foul mood in the belief that they’d lost. He said he drove straight to his local pub and it was only then that he found out that they’d won on penalties and, 13 years later as it was at the time, he was still constantly reminded about it.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Talking about leaving games early I’ve just remembered when I was working in Manchester back in 2012 that there was a guy in the office who was jokingly known as “the Man City fan who left the play-off final early”. I asked him about it and he told me: 1999 play-off final v Gillingham and he left before full-time when they were losing 2-0 and he had no mobile and drove all the way home from Wembley to Manchester in a foul mood in the belief that they’d lost. He said he drove straight to his local pub and it was only then that he found out that they’d won on penalties and, 13 years later as it was at the time, he was still constantly reminded about it.
That's bad! I'd never let them live it down!

Same as I'd never let this guy live this down

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The 3-2 at Portsmouth was particularly sweet as Claridge had put them 2 up in the first half celebrating in front of us. Even better that the winner came off Akinbiyi’s knee :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:.

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That's bad! I'd never let them live it down!

Same as I'd never let this guy live this down

That’s fantastic :D Presumably “our” Leon Clarke who they mention as scoring the second goal?

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just looked up the Barnsley 3-2 game as I couldn’t remember who scored the second and the ref is listed as Mike Dean :eek::eek:.
Connolly got the second, Emblen the first and as already mentioned Deano got the winner.

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This was brilliant.

It was a replay and Paul Jones saved a last minute penalty up at Hillsborough to bring the fixture back to Molineux.
Did he?? I dont remember Jones saving a penalty in the first leg. Great if true!

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did he?? I dont remember Jones saving a penalty in the first leg. Great if true!
Chris Bart-Williams was the taker, also took an equally crap penalty in the replay's shootout which Jones saved

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly this. I remember going to the first home game of the following season and seeing some plum in front of me wearing a shirt with "Pavlyuchenko" on the back as if it was his goal that kept us up!

Blues and Spurs were 1-1 and just playing tippy tappy around the back, then they got word that we'd scored meaning we were staying up on goals scored (I think), attacked, and Pavlyuchenko scored for Spurs. Been trying to find the SSN film from the time but can't

As I remember it at the time, after Hunt had got our second, it took 4 or 5 minutes for the Blues bench to realise the implications and get it to the players. They were still tapping it around with their fans going bananas.

Eventually the bench realised what the fans were upset about and the players got moving

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The 3-2 at Portsmouth was particularly sweet as Claridge had put them 2 up in the first half celebrating in front of us. Even better that the winner came off Akinbiyi’s knee :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:.

At 2-0 Claridge got an “Injury “ at our end (open terrace) and was wasting time by getting treatment.

Him and the trainer were laughing at our fans.

He got dogs abuse later

Freeport wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think the game yesterday definitely joins the all-time list. Will be talked about for a long time and
hopefully has a devastating effect on Villaøs season.

Another one that stands out is the 5-1 win over Arsenal in the snow. We were a goal down at halftime,
only to pulverise them in the second half.
I agree, this is my favourite comeback. Although Arsenal were only one goal up it looked a big task to pull the game back. They had won the League and FA cup the previous season and had a good record against us. The atmosphere on the North Bank was electric and was made more dramatic by the snow which started at halftime. Arsenal completely fell apart, the memory of that game still seems like yesterday.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree, this is my favourite comeback. Although Arsenal were only one goal up it looked a big task to pull the game back. They had won the League and FA cup the previous season and had a good record against us. The atmosphere on the North Bank was electric and was made more dramatic by the snow which started at halftime. Arsenal completely fell apart, the memory of that game still seems like yesterday.
Remember 'Johnny Reggae' by the Piglets? It was in the top 10 at the time. After that game, on the way to the station, there was a chant of 'Waggy. Waggy, Waggy, here comes Waggy Waggy, Waggy, Waggy, Waggy, lay it on me!' Waggy masterclass that day, with that 30-yarder topping it off

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember 'Johnny Reggae' by the Piglets? It was in the top 10 at the time. After that game, on the way to the station, there was a chant of 'Waggy. Waggy, Waggy, here comes Waggy Waggy, Waggy, Waggy, Waggy, lay it on me!' Waggy masterclass that day, with that 30-yarder topping it off
think you can still find a film clip of the game.I was
behind the N,Bank goal.Bob Wilson(played for us as an amateur) need not have
bothered diving for Waggy`s goal.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember the day of the comeback against Leicester. Half time, 3-0 down. I was looking at the scores on teletext and my Dad said "we'll come back and win this". Never doubted him again!

Pompey Wolf

Reaction score
2-0 down at Portsmouth in pouring rain in 2000. 3 late goals to win it including a last minute Akinbiyi deflection. Yesterday was even better.
My mate had bought me a ticket for that game as a birthday present.
At H-T I was telling him it was the worst present I’d ever received!!!

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One I remember, though I didn't go, was away to Portsmouth in February 67. We were on the run in to promotion and it was extremely tight who would finish in the top two out of us, Coventry and Huddersfield. No playoffs back then. I think we were 2 down at HT and pulled it round 3-2 in the second half after a captain's display from Mike Bailey, who I think scored the winner. The Pompey fans moaned about the physicality of Wolves tackling, I seem to remember! I think that win was a turning point for us, and we went on a long unbeaten run.
25 Feb 1967. Peter Knowles got the equaliser at 2-2, went into the net to grab the ball and then hoofed it out of the ground in sheer adrenaline powered joy! I was there! :D

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pressman. Hammered it top bins. Unstoppable.

I seem to recall Andy Gray was the commentator and said something like “you could have had 3 keepers in goal and they wouldn’t have stopped that.

That was the last one they scored!

To this day, still the best penalty I have ever seen.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One I remember is vs Norwich 1998 when we came back from 2-0 down to score 2 goals in the last 5 minutes (Robbie Keane). Roberts played for them and scored and I think it was the Muscat tackle on Bellamy game. I know my brother left with 5 minutes to go and hear the roar of the first goal just as he stepped out the John Ireland.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't we beat Portsmouth ? or Plymouth ? 8 - 1 that same season, sorry a bit off topic,
You are right. We beat Portsmouth 8-2 at Molineux on 27 November 1965. Woodruff2, Wagstaffe. McIlmoyle 2, Flowers and Holsgrove 2 scored for the Wolves. Attendance was only 17,199.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
25 Feb 1967. Peter Knowles got the equaliser at 2-2, went into the net to grab the ball and then hoofed it out of the ground in sheer adrenaline powered joy! I was there! :D

Try this

I was in The South Bank as a 12 year old.
thanks for that.
we always get rubbish refs
the guy in the studio mentioned a kenny wagstaffe
a lot of noise throughout from the crowd

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In my 60+ years of supporting this club, I honestly think Saturday does and will take some serious beating in answer to the OP.

That has and will hurt those sensitive brummies. We have a real hold on them now for that, I am honestly not sure how you topple that.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In my 60+ years of supporting this club, I honestly think Saturday does and will take some serious beating in answer to the OP.

That has and will hurt those sensitive brummies. We have a real hold on them now for that, I am honestly not sure how you topple that.
Make sure we beat them in the return. Then we will have a hold on them until next season. Let them turn us over at our place and last Saturday will be erased apart from what it was at the time. Oh yes, finish above them as well.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Off topic slightly, as this wasn't Wolves, but for the come-back of all come-backs, how about what happened at the Valley, 21 December 1957:

Charlton 7 Huddersfield 6

With 73 minutes of the match gone, Charlton were losing 1-5. They had been down to 10 men since the 17th minute through injury to their captain and centre half, Derek Ufton, who dislocated his shoulder and was taken to hospital (no subs in those days). As the match drifted towards its end, Charlton's left winger Johnny Summers moved to centre-forward and took charge. He had already scored for Charlton, but he then scored 4 more and made another in the space of 16 minutes. So with a couple of minutes remaining, Charlton were now leading 6-5, but Huddersfield equalised via a Charlton own goal in the dying seconds: 6-6! Then, Summers put in brilliant cross and with virtually the last kick of the match, Johnny Ryan scored for Charlton, who won the game 7-6.

Huddersfield remain the only team to score 6 goals in a professional football match and lose. Three other facts about this extraordinary match: the Huddersfield manager was.... Bill Shankly, soon to become the legendary Liverpool manager. Ray Wilson, who played in the 66 WCup Final, was playing for Huddersfield. And also playing for Huddersfield and scorer of their fourth goal, a penalty, was.... Bill McGarry, who would later be one of Wolves most successful managers. So there is a Wolves connection!

Last edited:

Lawndog

Reaction score
Great comebacks I've witnessed....

April 1979......2-1 down at home to Spurs....but win 3-2 with King Kenny's winner 30 seconds from fulltime...

March 1996.....2-1 down at home to Blues.....Bully's winner, as already mentioned!

December 2016.....Fulham at home, 3-1 down at H-T.......claw it back to 3-3 , then Edwards scores what surely HAS to be the winner!...ends 4-4!

Back
Top Bottom