Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves greatest ever come-backs

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Another I remember from way back was against West Ham, not long after Wolves sacked Stan Cullis in 1964. We hadn't won a single game in the first 10 or so and were 1-3 down with about 15 minutes left. We won 4-3 with a last minute long-range thunderbolt from Gerry Harris, our full-back. We still went down though
Do you remember the following season ,1965 (or the next?) we played Southampton away and were 0-6 down at half time,?
although it finished 9-3 we seemed to click in the 2nd half. it was the starting point of a long run that nearly got us promoted are a terrible start to the season..
that was a long trip home that day, (probably got a few of the stats wrong but the memory is not so good now, )

Tonesterwolf

Reaction score
3-0 down to Blackburn at half time.
3-2 at full time.
We didn’t win but we stayed in premier league at the expense of Birmingham.
Thank you Steven Hunt.
As much as the scenes were fantastic when Hunt scored people always forget that we would have stayed up anyway as Blues lost in the end so we stayed up by having more points, nothing to do with goal difference.
3-0 down to Blackburn at half time.
3-2 at full time.
We didn’t win but we stayed in premier league at the expense of Birmingham.
Thank you Steven Hunt.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

As much as the scenes were fantastic when Hunt scored people always forget that we would have stayed up anyway as Blues lost in the end so we stayed up by having more points, nothing to do with goal difference.
Blues conceded after Hunt scored. If hunt had not scored then blues may have sat back and defended the draw. They were actually passing ball around centre of pitch after hunt had scored as they didn’t know that we had scored and they now had to score themselves. They then started to attack and conceded.
So you are correct that we did not stay up on goal difference, but hunts goal certainly influenced how blues approached the game in last few minutes when they conceded.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is right up there with the Leicester 4-3 and the Man City 3-2. For me, because we left it so late yesterday. 2-0 with 10 minutes + injury time. Where against Leicester we had 45 minutes and as I recall, Man City got the second early on, we had 40-ish minutes left in that one. I remember a few where we've come back to 2-2 from 2-0 with not long left, but not to wn 3-2. In the Premier League. And against our despised rival, too.

Carry on yesterdays rate of scoring and we will beat Leeds 18-0. :)

Tonesterwolf

Reaction score
Blues conceded after Hunt scored. If hunt had not scored then blues may have sat back and defended the draw. They were actually passing ball around centre of pitch after hunt had scored as they didn’t know that we had scored and they now had to score themselves. They then started to attack and conceded.
So you are correct that we did not stay up on goal difference, but hunts goal certainly influenced how blues approached the game in last few minutes when they conceded.
Totally true, the point I was trying to make (abliet badly) was years on many fans forget we actually had more points than Blues in the end.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was dodgy streaming that game, was the most sick I’ve ever felt during a game, the bottom had dropped out of my world.
Then that. The sort of ‘minute by minute’ MOTD afterwards was excellent, first time I remember them doing something like that with all the dramatic permutations.

Tonesterwolf

Reaction score
One I'll always remember was on my birthday in 88. We didn't win but came back from 3-1 down to draw with Port Vale at Molineux, Bully getting our third with just minutes to go. Years on I remember exactly where I was on the South Bank when we equalised. As a thirteen year old loosing on my birthday would have meant the end of the world lol.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yesterday must have been so special, I wish so much I had of been there. One that always sticks in my mind was Mansfield away. 2-0 down and win it 3-2. The pitch invasion after the third was such a classic. Our own Stewards helping pull us up over a low wall, me included :).

The steward must have had his three shredded wheat mate ;)

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Paul Devlin! Remember seeing him down at Stafford Rangers.

Unlike Collymore l never saw him having a good career when l saw him play, but he was decent and always did a number on us.

I often wondered why we never tried to sign him.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't have enough points to go yesterday but reminds me of the Pompey v Wolves night game in 2000 .2 nil down to score three late. Akinyibi in last min.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you remember the following season ,1965 (or the next?) we played Southampton away and were 0-6 down at half time,?
although it finished 9-3 we seemed to click in the 2nd half. it was the starting point of a long run that nearly got us promoted are a terrible start to the season..
that was a long trip home that day, (probably got a few of the stats wrong but the memory is not so good now, )
I ****ing well do remember it, September 1965! I had gone to watch the Albion with my best mate at school, our school (in Sedgley) was about 50/50 Wolves/ Albion. I think that day they won 6-2 against Stoke. Nobody could believe the Wolves 9-3 score when it came through. But you are right, we then won the next four games by the same score, 3-0.

Last edited:

Lyewolves

Groupie
Reaction score
I've got one. Wolves v Stoke in the anglo Italian cup preliminary round 1993. We were 2.0 and then 3.1 down big Cyril was playing for us and set up the first goal for David Kelly. No north bank at the time if I remember rightly.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here's one for the real oldies, and I'm not 100% sure of the exact details, but early September 1959 (I was 10, nearly 11) we played Man City at Maine Road and I think we were 1-3 down at HT but ran out winners, 6-4. The City centre forward, Billy McAdams, scored a hat-trick and was still on the losing side. A fortnight later we beat Fulham 9-0. If Carlsberg made football seasons....

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the game yesterday definitely joins the all-time list. Will be talked about for a long time and
hopefully has a devastating effect on Villaøs season.

Another one that stands out is the 5-1 win over Arsenal in the snow. We were a goal down at halftime,
only to pulverise them in the second half.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I honestly think yesterday is the best ever....it was AWAY AT VILLA!
Their fans must have been absolutely gutted. Dean Smith's face was priceless.
Amazing win

meeee67

Reaction score
After the Bhattis were gone... Been a very long comeback though but getting there....

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Man City and Southampton are the obvious ones.
Remember a 3-2 away against Barnsley when Dean Richards scored the winner
Unbelievable game at Oakwell. Can still remember the ball hitting the net

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly this. I remember going to the first home game of the following season and seeing some plum in front of me wearing a shirt with "Pavlyuchenko" on the back as if it was his goal that kept us up!

Blues and Spurs were 1-1 and just playing tippy tappy around the back, then they got word that we'd scored meaning we were staying up on goals scored (I think), attacked, and Pavlyuchenko scored for Spurs. Been trying to find the SSN film from the time but can't

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
Didn't have enough points to go yesterday but reminds me of the Pompey v Wolves night game in 2000 .2 nil down to score three late. Akinyibi in last min.
Pretty sure it was a Saturday afternoon game. I’m certain getting up about 6am on the day to travel to that.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I ****ing well do remember it, September 1965! I had gone to watch the Albion with my best mate at school, our school (in Sedgley) was about 50/50 Wolves/ Albion. I think that day they won 6-2 against Stoke. Nobody could believe the Wolves 9-3 score when it came through. But you are right, we then won the next four games by the same score, 3-0.
Didn't we beat Portsmouth ? or Plymouth ? 8 - 1 that same season, sorry a bit off topic,

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unbelievable game at Oakwell. Can still remember the ball hitting the net
Great game,and the first time I'd seen us come from 2-0 down to win.

Can still see Deano striding into the box,wondering who he was going to pass to,and instead he belted it into the bottom corner,sparking wild celebrations behind the goal. At 2-1 down Bruce Dyer hit the inside of the post for Barnsley,after an error by Keith Curle,if he'd scored then I think that would've been game over.

The Leicester 4-3 match was quite simply unbelievable,I think a lot of people forget that Hassan Kachloul seemed to turn things for us after coming on as a half time sub,I think that was his only appearance in a Wolves shirt,but he definitely made it count.When we got 1 goal back the Leicester fans were taking the mick,dancing along to the Tom Hark goal music,then we got another and you thought we could be on to something.

Then bizarrely Mickey Adams had a bit of a hissyfit on the touchline and took off Les Ferdinand,Keith Gillespie and I think Ricardo Scimeca in a triple substitution,which seemed to completely unsettle Leicester. Alex Rae equalised and then Camara turned in the winner.

I was physically shaking for about an hour after the match from the adrenaline rush.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
, I remember a great come back up at Hillsborough yonks ago, were 0-2 down with not long to go and drew 2-2. Alun Evans scored the equaliser on his debut I think, went to the match with a Wednesday fan, don't think he spoke all the way home LOL.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
, I remember a great come back up at Hillsborough yonks ago, were 0-2 down with not long to go and drew 2-2. Alun Evans scored the equaliser on his debut I think, went to the match with a Wednesday fan, don't think he spoke all the way home LOL.

debut v.west ham a couple of weeks earlier
gave bobby moore a very hard time if I remember.
Knowles scored the other goal at sheffield

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Great game,and the first time I'd seen us come from 2-0 down to win.

Can still see Deano striding into the box,wondering who he was going to pass to,and instead he belted it into the bottom corner,sparking wild celebrations behind the goal. At 2-1 down Bruce Dyer hit the inside of the post for Barnsley,after an error by Keith Curle,if he'd scored then I think that would've been game over.

The Leicester 4-3 match was quite simply unbelievable,I think a lot of people forget that Hassan Kachloul seemed to turn things for us after coming on as a half time sub,I think that was his only appearance in a Wolves shirt,but he definitely made it count.When we got 1 goal back the Leicester fans were taking the mick,dancing along to the Tom Hark goal music,then we got another and you thought we could be on to something.

Then bizarrely Mickey Adams had a bit of a hissyfit on the touchline and took off Les Ferdinand,Keith Gillespie and I think Ricardo Scimeca in a triple substitution,which seemed to completely unsettle Leicester. Alex Rae equalised and then Camara turned in the winner.

I was physically shaking for about an hour after the match from the adrenaline rush.
Wow, that’s some memory you have there! Hassan Kachloul, I’d forgotten that he ever played for us but you’re right, he was the catalyst that day.

I had a load going on in my life that season and as a result I only attended one game but thankfully it was that Leicester game. I’d driven down from Leeds on my own and was sat there at half-time with quite a few around me leaving and I was so despondent I considered it too but I was tired, it had been my only “me time” for weeks and weeks and I couldn’t face driving home and so I stayed. Thankfully.

I learnt a valuable lesson that day about staying to the end of games.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Leicester 4-3 game is the one for me still.
Certainly this. Yesterday's for me will probably be in at no 2 due to time left, venue and opponents. Was at Bristol and whilst just the 2 goals the significance of the game and the timing of the winner is my personal no 3. When you consider all the games mentioned in this thread you get 1 turn-around game perhaps every 5 years. Always worth the wait and why we love the game.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wow, that’s some memory you have there! Hassan Kachloul, I’d forgotten that he ever played for us but you’re right, he was the catalyst that day.

I had a load going on in my life that season and as a result I only attended one game but thankfully it was that Leicester game. I’d driven down from Leeds on my own and was sat there at half-time with quite a few around me leaving and I was so despondent I considered it too but I was tired, it had been my only “me time” for weeks and weeks and I couldn’t face driving home and so I stayed. Thankfully.

I learnt a valuable lesson that day about staying to the end of games.
Glad you decided not to leave. Always staying until the end was one of the first things my dad thought me about football.

It's a shame Kachloul couldn't stay fit as he looked pretty useful that day.

Back
Top Bottom