Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves greatest ever come-backs

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yesterday was up there with the best, and especially so in front of a stadium full of yelping Veeela fans. Got me thinking about other great Wolves come-backs from the dead. There have been a few down the years, but the one at home v Leicester in 2003 was special. 0-3 down at half time and not a hope... until Colin Cameron with a brace, Alex Rae and Henri Camara made it 4-3. That's the ONLY time in 60-odd years of support I've seen us win after being three clear goals down. Any more great come-back memories?

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yesterday was up there with the best, and especially so in front of a stadium full of yelping Veeela fans. Got me thinking about other great Wolves come-backs from the dead. There have been a few down the years, but the one at home v Leicester in 2003 was special. 0-3 down at half time and not a hope... until Colin Cameron with a brace, Alex Rae and Henri Camara made it 4-3. That's the ONLY time in 60-odd years of support I've seen us win after being three clear goals down. Any more great come-back memories?
Man City and Southampton are the obvious ones.
Remember a 3-2 away against Barnsley when Dean Richards scored the winner

Nivada

Reaction score
Will never forget the Man City one around New Years Eve a couple years ago, never seen Man City look so torn, bruised and battle weary than after that match, Stones' shirt was literally hanging off him after being pulled and torn through the 90 minutes.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another I remember from way back was against West Ham, not long after Wolves sacked Stan Cullis in 1964. We hadn't won a single game in the first 10 or so and were 1-3 down with about 15 minutes left. We won 4-3 with a last minute long-range thunderbolt from Gerry Harris, our full-back. We still went down though

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Back in the 90's, 2-0 down to Sheff utd.. it was a terrible game and cold gloomy weather, coming up to full time the ground was half empty....Goodman clattered in the area, step up John de Wolf, then deep into injury time Neil Emblen heads in out of the keepers hands.. somehow its allowed.....2-2 full time!

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

The penalty shoot out win against Sheffield Wednesday (4-3 on penalties)
We were 3-0 down.

Wolves had missed their first two and Wednesday had scored their first three - meaning every single penalty had to go Wolves' way.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One I remember, though I didn't go, was away to Portsmouth in February 67. We were on the run in to promotion and it was extremely tight who would finish in the top two out of us, Coventry and Huddersfield. No playoffs back then. I think we were 2 down at HT and pulled it round 3-2 in the second half after a captain's display from Mike Bailey, who I think scored the winner. The Pompey fans moaned about the physicality of Wolves tackling, I seem to remember! I think that win was a turning point for us, and we went on a long unbeaten run.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back in the 90's, 2-0 down to Sheff utd.. it was a terrible game and cold gloomy weather, coming up to full time the ground was half empty....Goodman clattered in the area, step up John de Wolf, then deep into injury time Neil Emblen heads in out of the keepers hands.. somehow its allowed.....2-2 full time!
You're misremembering there a bit mate. Emblen scored the header but he was about 12 yards from the keeper!

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You're misremembering there a bit mate. Emblen scored the header but he was about 12 yards from the keeper!
Was he? Must be thinking of a different game....tbf it was nearly 30 years ago.
Still.....it was a great comeback

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3-0 down to Blackburn at half time.
3-2 at full time.
We didn’t win but we stayed in premier league at the expense of Birmingham.
Thank you Steven Hunt.
That was the most emotionally drained I've ever been! People around me in the South Bank going mental at the final whistle and I just sat in my seat, knackered!!

Could we class the penalty shoot out against Sheffield Wednesday as a comeback?! That was intense. I'd have to go with Man City two seasons ago for me though, atmosphere was incredible and to come back against that quality of opposition (I know they had ten men but they still tend to do ok with ten men!). We were just relentless

Edit: Just seen you've mentioned the shoot out in another post!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
30 years ago? I can remember them from 60 years back!
I know mate, never ceases to amaze me. I remember odd ones from 30+ years ago, for example Bully's winner at Bramhall Lane in a 3-2 was a particular favourite, some come back to me with a video, others (like this one) I was definitely at the game, but have no memory of. Expect there's a care home waiting!

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back in the late '67 we were at home to Stoke City and 3-0 down. Came back to 3-3 (Paddy Buckley got one or two I think) only for Stoke to get a last minute winner in thick, thick fog...

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One I remember, though I didn't go, was away to Portsmouth in February 67. We were on the run in to promotion and it was extremely tight who would finish in the top two out of us, Coventry and Huddersfield. No playoffs back then. I think we were 2 down at HT and pulled it round 3-2 in the second half after a captain's display from Mike Bailey, who I think scored the winner. The Pompey fans moaned about the physicality of Wolves tackling, I seem to remember! I think that win was a turning point for us, and we went on a long unbeaten run.
Was this the match that Peter Knowles kicked the ball out of the stadium after we scored the 3rd goal BSK?

I think he had to pay for the ball!

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seem to remember Chris Waddle missed one for them
He did, he also took dogs abuse for 120 minutes! I'd recorded the game and remember Martin Tyler's commentary after he took the kick, when Jones saved it he just screamed "HE'S FAILED!!"

Lots of memories about that game, not least how me and a school mate somehow got tickets for it when we actually went for tickets for a different game (we were in the big queue but asked for Middlesbrough, that was sold out, so asked for Bristol City instead, and got given cup tickets which had only just gone on sale!)

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know mate, never ceases to amaze me. I remember odd ones from 30+ years ago, for example Bully's winner at Bramhall Lane in a 3-2 was a particular favourite, some come back to me with a video, others (like this one) I was definitely at the game, but have no memory of. Expect there's a care home waiting!
I've always had a more or less photographic memory, especially for goals. But it works both ways -- I remember horrible losses from winning positions just as clearly. One of the worst was at Blues in December 66. We had played them off the park for 80 minutes and were cruising 2-0 up when we conceded a soft one and then it was all hands to the pump with the crowd really getting behind Blues. We let in 2 more horrible scrambled goals in injury time and lost 3-2 in the pouring rain and mud. It was almost a carbon copy in reverse of yesterday's win against the Villa.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I've always had a more or less photographic memory, especially for goals. But it works both ways -- I remember horrible losses from winning positions just as clearly. One of the worst was at Blues in December 66. We had played them off the park for 80 minutes and were cruising 2-0 up when we conceded a soft one and then it was all hands to the pump with the crowd really getting behind Blues. We let in 2 more horrible scrambled goals in injury time and lost 3-2 in the pouring rain and mud. It was almost a carbon copy in reverse of yesterday's win against the Villa.
The one that sticks in my mind is Oxford at home. Bully scored a hattrick in about 20 minutes and then missed a sitter. Everyone thought it was hilarious. We drew 3-3.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
He did, he also took dogs abuse for 120 minutes! I'd recorded the game and remember Martin Tyler's commentary after he took the kick, when Jones saved it he just screamed "HE'S FAILED!!"

Lots of memories about that game, not least how me and a school mate somehow got tickets for it when we actually went for tickets for a different game (we were in the big queue but asked for Middlesbrough, that was sold out, so asked for Bristol City instead, and got given cup tickets which had only just gone on sale!)
Remember Waddle walking up to take the pen. No way was he going to score.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's the 0-3 down at home to Leicester City at half-time for me. Quite simply the best game I've ever been present at and I had a Leicester fan sat with me. The banter that day was amazing, it was obviously all one way first-half but I spent all half-time deflecting it by telling him and anybody else around, that we were gonna win 4-3!....even I didn't believe it!
By the time Henri Kamara tucked in the winner, everybody in the Graham Hughes that day was taking the **** out of my mate and he was at the top of the stand and on his way, out before the ball even rolled over the line!!!
Amazing memories of a wonderful day, oh to be young again!!! Lol

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was this the match that Peter Knowles kicked the ball out of the stadium after we scored the 3rd goal BSK?

I think he had to pay for the ball!
I think you may be right, but like I say, I wasn't there and only heard the reports later. I do recall where I was though -- at Craven Cottage, watching Flum! Had gone there with a Flum-supporting mate, to see Albion get a 5-1 hammering, so it was an all round good day!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the examples above demonstrate this Villa win was up there. Not the biggest comeback, not the most crucial in terms of result, but at 2-0 down and 80mins, we never looked like getting anything. To go on and win the game with a Neves free kick at 94 mins, and Coady equalising against his mate in the 85th, and to do that against Villa at a packed Villa Park, well, that’s pretty special.

Just wished I’d been there to experience it first hand. Still, I enjoyed watching it on a stream, while in two other parts of the country, my father and son were also watching it on streams. Three generations all in happy disbelief!

I’ll add my one, really because of the way Nuno celebrated, and how Bristol responded!

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yesterday must have been so special, I wish so much I had of been there. One that always sticks in my mind was Mansfield away. 2-0 down and win it 3-2. The pitch invasion after the third was such a classic. Our own Stewards helping pull us up over a low wall, me included :).

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The one that sticks in my mind is Oxford at home. Bully scored a hattrick in about 20 minutes and then missed a sitter. Everyone thought it was hilarious. We drew 3-3.
Remember a couple more like that. Boxing Day 1963, 3-0 up at home against Villa at HT and ended up drawing 3-3. And Peter Knowles's last ever game for Wolves, September 69, home against Forest. Again 3 up and let it slip to 3-3.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
03/04 first season back in the prem after a few heavy defeats at start of season, ( 5-1 away against blackburn, Home 4-0 against charlton and 5-0 against chealsea) then 3-0 down at half time to Leicester came back to win 4-3, though we had beaten City 1-0 the previous home match)

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yesterday must have been so special, I wish so much I had of been there. One that always sticks in my mind was Mansfield away. 2-0 down and win it 3-2. The pitch invasion after the third was such a classic. Our own Stewards helping pull us up over a low wall, me included :).

Bloody hell, I remember what I was doing. Buying compost from a garden centre and following that game on the car radio!

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a comeback but the other match that sticks in the mind for late drama was the 1-0 against Cardiff where they had the 2 penalties late on

A great Neves free kick, ended Cardffs unbeaten run and Mike Dean failed to scupper us with 2 penalties to Cardiff. A good Save from Ruddy on the first and the second hit the bar

Last edited:

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a comeback but the other match that sticks in the mind for late drama was the 1-0 against Cardiff where they had the 2 penalties late on

A great Neves free kick, ended Cardffs unbeaten run and Mike Dean failed to scupper us with 2 penalties to Cardiff. A good Save from Ruddy on the first and the second hit the bar
Penalties awarded by... MIKE DEAN!!! I was following that game on the internet and couldn't make out what was happening from the comments posted, not realising he had given 2 pens in injury time.

Locks Heath Wolf

Reaction score
Some of my faves were:
sheff U home 2-0 to 2-2 (injury time)
pompey away 2-0 to 2-3 in last 15 mins
leicester home 3-0 to 3-4 second half
southampton away 2-0 to 2-3 second half
and yesterday but not in attendance myself…!!!

Super Ted

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The penalty shoot out win against Sheffield Wednesday (4-3 on penalties)
We were 3-0 down.

Wolves had missed their first two and Wednesday had scored their first three - meaning every single penalty had to go Wolves' way.
This was brilliant.

It was a replay and Paul Jones saved a last minute penalty up at Hillsborough to bring the fixture back to Molineux.

Back
Top Bottom