Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Will Jorge Mendes Pull us a few Rabbits Out of his Hat?

lycophilos

Reaction score
People are still living in dreamland if they dont think Mendes is the driving force behind us getting our best players. Said it when thelwell was here, and its the same now with him gone. As good for us as Uncle Jorge has been, we need better recruitment outside his stable of players. We are hopless without him.
Nuno is the main driving force behind Wolves getting the players he thinks good enough, and at the right price. Mendes is very important, but I doubt that he is the controlling force, as you and some others seem to think.

If Nuno doesn't want a player, then I don't think Mendes would force Jeff/Fosun into buying him. And if Nuno wants a player who isn't in Mendes' stable, I am pretty sure the club would still go out and try to get him. Nuno has the main say in Wolves' recruitment, not Uncle Jorge.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno is the main driving force behind Wolves getting the players he thinks good enough, and at the right price. Mendes is very important, but I doubt that he is the controlling force, as you and some others seem to think.

If Nuno doesn't want a player, then I don't think Mendes would force Jeff/Fosun into buying him. And if Nuno wants a player who isn't in Mendes' stable, I am pretty sure the club would still go out and try to get him. Nuno has the main say in Wolves' recruitment, not Uncle Jorge.
Absolutely agreed...but are there anymore bunnies in pipeline coming out of uncle Jorge's hat?

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I never said he was a controlling force, dont know where you have made that up from. Same as i dont know where you are getting all this nonsense about him forcing Jeff/Fosun into buying players. Never said anything of the sort.

Is he the driving force behind our success? I'd say he is. If Fosun didnt have the connection they do with Jorge Mendes, we dont get Nuno for a start. Then you have the knock on effect from all the players he has helped bring to us. I've said it before and i'll say it again, we rely on him way too much, but at the same time, facts are facts, he has been the driving force behind us getting in some of the quality we have. Mendes opinions and advice to these players are what bought them to Wolves. Do you really believe Joao Moutinho, Ruben Neves, Rui Patricio etc would have turned up on our doorstep if it wasnt for Mendes? Would they have come here down to the persuasion of Paul Lambert and Kevin Thelwell? I think that would be a resounding no.

Like i said, the proof is in the pudding. The backbone behind our resurrection is Jorge Mendes because he has the clout to make the Fosun investments work. He doesn't control us, but his influence is fairly significant.

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still say no, his job is doing the best for his clients. Staying in poor league with a few Champions League games cannot compare with the Prem. or even, the right time, the physicality, tactics and grind of the championship. The receiving club just needs to be right.

This is why WBA et al will always whinge; they are never the right club for quality.

lycophilos

Reaction score
I never said he was a controlling force, dont know where you have made that up from. Same as i dont know where you are getting all this nonsense about him forcing Jeff/Fosun into buying players. Never said anything of the sort.

Is he the driving force behind our success? I'd say he is. If Fosun didnt have the connection they do with Jorge Mendes, we dont get Nuno for a start. Then you have the knock on effect from all the players he has helped bring to us. I've said it before and i'll say it again, we rely on him way too much, but at the same time, facts are facts, he has been the driving force behind us getting in some of the quality we have. Mendes opinions and advice to these players are what bought them to Wolves. Do you really believe Joao Moutinho, Ruben Neves, Rui Patricio etc would have turned up on our doorstep if it wasnt for Mendes? Would they have come here down to the persuasion of Paul Lambert and Kevin Thelwell? I think that would be a resounding no.

Like i said, the proof is in the pudding. The backbone behind our resurrection is Jorge Mendes because he has the clout to make the Fosun investments work. He doesn't control us, but his influence is fairly significant.
I agree absolutely on the importance of Mendes. Wolves are very astute in having this connection to him. Of course his influence has had a great part to play in Wolves' success over the last three seasons.
What I was saying was that his influence is there at the choosing of the club. While he understandably has a great influence, the final decision on transfers rests with Jeff/Fosun, and I am sure that in that respect, it is Nuno who is, rightly, allowed the final say on transfers, not Mendes. Nuno is Mendes' client, and seems to be a great friend of his as well, but that does not mean that he and Jeff are Uncle Jorge's puppets. I didn't accuse you of actually saying that, but that would be the implication behind some of the complaints that Mendes has too much influence at Wolves, complaints which are also widely voiced by fans of other clubs. Martin Samuel (the only good reason to read the Daily Mail) has eloquently defended Wolves from these complaints.
Wolves' fans can be grateful for the way Mendes has been involved in changing the fortunes of the club in such an astonishingly quick time, but in the end it is Nuno who has been the key figure in the transformation.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This report that I've put on Nuno's contract thread also. Does point out how Mendes with Fosun regarding Fabio Silva transfer. They do keep their cards closely to their chest.. Plus Jorge Mendes does not let any of his rabbit's out of his hat too quickly to the media as well :)

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like another Mendes client / rabbit is about to come out of his rather big hat for us soon ;)

"Nelson Semedo is represented by Gestifute, the agency run by Jorge Mendes, who plays a key part in many Wolves deals."

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And possibly Douglas Costa.
@waggys left foot Yes with Nelson Semedo and if this happens does that make it 3 or 4 bunny's so far this window?

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like Uncle Jorge is trying to arrange for another young starlet to follow Rayan Ait Nouri into the Wolves pack.

D

Deleted member 11332

Went to watch the 'holy war' at cracovia in march when we had a weekend away in Krakow. The standard is appalling, equivalent of league 2 and Buksa didn't even get a run out off the bench.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Prob be €mega with Jorge and Zinhavi sharing a fair bit.

Will he get past Priti Patels new football.immigration rules.?

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Went to watch the 'holy war' at cracovia in march when we had a weekend away in Krakow. The standard is appalling, equivalent of league 2 and Buksa didn't even get a run out off the bench.

Sometimes it gets better but you're right. The general level of the Polish Ekstraklasa is appalling. It is verified year after year in European cups. Ok, once in a while some club has a decent campaign (Lech Poznan or Legia mainly) but these days our clubs get beaten by pretty much everybody including the powers like Luxembourg, North Macedonia, Lithuania or Latvia. The clubs from Slovakia, Belarus, Kazakhstan or Azerbaijan are miles ahead.

That said, the youth development has improved recently. There are some exciting young players coming up and Buksa is one of them. He is nowhere near Premier League standard though. I'd say he's another Leonardo Campana - a talented lad who may become very good but also may not. The price should be nominal for a club like Wolves, so there is no big risk involved. It would be nice to see a Polish player succeed in the Old Gold but I'm not holding my breath :)

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sometimes it gets better but you're right. The general level of the Polish Ekstraklasa is appalling. It is verified year after year in European cups. Ok, once in a while some club has a decent campaign (Lech Poznan or Legia mainly) but these days our clubs get beaten by pretty much everybody including the powers like Luxembourg, North Macedonia, Lithuania or Latvia. The clubs from Slovakia, Belarus, Kazakhstan or Azerbaijan are miles ahead.

That said, the youth development has improved recently. There are some exciting young players coming up and Buksa is one of them. He is nowhere near Premier League standard though. I'd say he's another Leonardo Campana - a talented lad who may become very good but also may not. The price should be nominal for a club like Wolves, so there is no big risk involved. It would be nice to see a Polish player succeed in the Old Gold but I'm not holding my breath :)
We've had, l believe, four Polish players in the first team in the last decade. None of them, for varying reasons, ever really became regulars.

D

Deleted member 11332

I'll add the atmosphere was electric. We sat in the main Kracovia end with their ultras and it was an experience. I've been all over the world to derbys and that was up there for me.

Back
Top Bottom