Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What's up Doc?

Wildman

Reaction score
We've seen JL change formation mid second half or just after half time, Doherty would be a good option off the bench if he switches to a 3 at the back and wants to chase a game. Doherty for Semedo makes sense as an attacking sub in a system change.

Squads are so important now with regards to being able to change things around tactically, maybe he's in for that type of situation as we had no one who could do that role on the right side.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So you are logically saying that should we switch to a back five in a match, we would need to make 3 subs.
No I'm not saying that..
But we could need to make 2 if Doc is meant as a RWB to use when switching to a back 5.
However number of subs wasn't really my point

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What Doc does well, he does well. I'm surprised by this move as I don't think his strength is one the manager fully appreciates. We'll see. Welcome back Matt. I hope you silence me and your other critics.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
to be fair, Navas was a bloody good player, outstanding at dribbling and crossing - he’s a massively different (and better) player to Doc.

But crucially Doherty provides more assists and goals than Semedo who rarely runs beyond the opposing full back, more often than not choosing to stop and play inside. In that sense Doherty suits JL style far more than Nelson

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But crucially Doherty provides more assists and goals than Semedo who rarely runs beyond the opposing full back, more often than not choosing to stop and play inside. In that sense Doherty suits JL style far more than Nelson
Does he?
Doc was quite good at cutting inside (and once in a while it meant an assist), but I don't remember him taking on opposing fullbacks putting in lots of crosses.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does he?
Doc was quite good at cutting inside (and once in a while it meant an assist), but I don't remember him taking on opposing fullbacks putting in lots of crosses.
Anyone care to comment on his half-***** jog back to defend, not to mention his utter failure to defend, dreadful signing if it happens.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Only if he’s allowed to cut inside and someone else goes wide - as a wide full back/wing back, he’s terrible as he can’t cross.

JL traditionally plays wide full backs. Nuno only played doc as an underlapping full back because Traore was awful at going inside - they cancelled (some of) each others weaknesses out.

Last edited:

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does he?

11 Premier League assists and 8 goals in 2 seasons for us it’s not even an argument. That’s 19 goal contributions

Semedo has 4 premier league goal contributions in 3 seasons with us.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This was a balancer I'm sure for Mendes helping along the bumper Neves sale.

Either way, hugely depressing that we are trying to use the Summer to clear out the square pegs for round holes, only to sign another.

Hope for much better news soon.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People really like to get their knickers in a twist! If he's coming as cover and for only wages (which won't be crazy, he's had his pay day) then he's a good signing. Jonny was wrecked last season and this ensures we have experienced cover and a player who knows how to go forwards.

In fact, it's just the sort of signing we should have done more of in terms of squad filling.

If Semedo is sold and doc is expected to start every week at RB, I'll change my tone.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
11 Premier League assists and 8 goals in 2 seasons for us it’s not even an argument. That’s 19 goal contributions

Semedo has 4 premier league goal contributions in 3 seasons with us.
And how many assists and goals playing in a back 4 and/or by going past the opposing fullback out wide, whipping in crosses?
People who keep mentioning his goals and assists conveniently forget his record at Spurs and the fact that we now play a system completely different to when he played for us.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And how many assists and goals playing in a back 4 and/or by going past the opposing fullback out wide, whipping in crosses?
People who keep mentioning his goals and assists conveniently forget his record at Spurs and the fact that we now play a system completely different to when he played for us.

How many of them hit his backside and bounced off the corner flag? It’s irrelevant. The stats don’t lie, he is far more effective going forward than Semedo. Do only crosses from our wide count as assists now?

The point is we won’t be playing that different a system, as already discussed Lopeteguis Sevilla played with flying full backs and a deeper midfielder who dropped in to make a 3 at the back when in possession.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't say I want Doc to return BUT any scenario that means Semedo is dropped or preferably gone altogether I shall fully get behind. Would rather the tea lady than Semedo, a truly shocking waste of a shirt and the quicker he is gone the better for us.
Fair argument to question Semedo, but no justification for signing someone even worse.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Just to add he provided 6 assists and 3 goals for Spurs. So 9 goal contributions in 2 and a half seasons compared to 4 for Semedo in a full 3 seasons.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
About the same as Doc over the last 3 seasons then

Doherty provided 9 goals for Spurs in less time than Semedo has played for Wolves.

You can make an argument about their defensive capabilities, though I’d argue they’re roughly equal, but you can’t compare their attacking output

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone care to comment on his half-***** jog back to defend, not to mention his utter failure to defend, dreadful signing if it happens.
Why do you even bother supporting this team? Unless of course you look forward to moaning about everything about it?

That would explain it.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This was a balancer I'm sure for Mendes helping along the bumper Neves sale.

Either way, hugely depressing that we are trying to use the Summer to clear out the square pegs for round holes, only to sign another.

Hope for much better news soon.
Yes we really owe Mendes for the Neves sale, I'm sure it wasn't a bumper pay day for him at all.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do you even bother supporting this team? Unless of course you look forward to moaning about everything about it?

That would explain it.
So supporting a team which I have done since 1958, home and away season ticket holder and attended over 2k games means I have to stand on my toes and worship all they do then not for me, if that your definition of support fine, not mine.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair argument to question Semedo, but no justification for signing someone even worse.

Absolutely no way is Doc worse. Semedo is an absolute catastrophe at either end of the pitch. I can't stress enough how bad Semedo is, it says a lot when teams were targeting him ahead of either of Bueno or RAN or Toti on the other side and that happened often.

The Pie Poker

Reaction score
His lack of appreciation for us fans when he left, then creaming his pants over his new club, always left a sour taste for me.

But that said., we've been cack at RB since he left. His goal contribution under Nuno was immense for his position. Emotions aside, it's a great free signing for us.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That we don't owe Mendes for the Neves sale as he earned loads from it. At least that's what I think the other poster's point was.
I’m fairly sure Mendes is more than happy with what he made out the deal. It would have been double what he was expecting.

Makes me laugh how some have Mendes down as some kind of panto villain rather than the truth that he’s the most influential man in football.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely no way is Doc worse. Semedo is an absolute catastrophe at either end of the pitch. I can't stress enough how bad Semedo is, it says a lot when teams were targeting him ahead of either of Bueno or RAN or Toti on the other side and that happened often.

1000% spot on.

I have been watching football for 55 years and Semedo is a gutless waste of good oxygen and shouldn't be anywhere near a Premier league team.

I have said it before but 3/4 of the championship right backs would have better overall statistics.

Reaction score
If he's coming back on less wages than Jonny and allows him to leave to free up a spot for an overseas player, then no issues from me

If we're ending the window with Jonny and Doc in the squad then a few eyebrows will be raised

Back
Top Bottom