Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What's up Doc?

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like this transfer. It's low risk on a free. Not the end of the World should it go wrong, which it might...

But if it goes well, he'll be a useful addition to the squad.

My perspective is coming purely from looking to improve on last season and hopefully finish in the top half...

I don't for a second believe he's the "final piece of the jigsaw", but can hopefully be at least as "good" as Semedo and ship him out.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully Lopetegui's training times are slightly different to Nuno's so he doesn't keep trying to book my usual slot at the barber again!

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we were linked with a player who'd scored 8 goals from right back in 2 PL seasons, had an injury affected year at a top 6 club, then moved to a top 3 club in Spain, on a FREE, we'd all be saying gerrim in.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Serviceable back up on a free.

If he went to Everton or Palace and we go into the season with Hoever, Bolla or Jonny as back up RB, they'll be people complaining we didn't bring him back.

I think the main backlash he's getting is because we haven't brought anybody to start or improve the starting 11 yet.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jonny was truly shocking last season!

In fairness he had injuries and didn’t really get a run of games to get match fit. He did ok for a period it was just that last Leeds game where he was awful as many of them were and that was that

Personally if we’ve got Doherty, Jonny, Semedo & Bueno as full backs I wouldn’t be too upset

JimB

Groupie
Reaction score
When Spurs were in a decent run of form doc seemed to be playing quite regularly, he just suffered from injuries that hampered his progress.
I’m not adverse to seeing him come back, and hope he offers something like he did before, especially with assists and goals.
Welcome back Doc.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In fairness he had injuries and didn’t really get a run of games to get match fit. He did ok for a period it was just that last Leeds game where he was awful as many of them were and that was that

Personally if we’ve got Doherty, Jonny, Semedo & Bueno as full backs I wouldn’t be too upset
I don’t think we want Jonny and Doc.
Would far rather keep RAN or Giles for one spot.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jonny was truly shocking last season!

I'd have to disagree. Jonny looks completely finished. Doubt he'd get a game at most league 1 sides anymore.

Although he is right footed , Jonny has actually never looked as good on the right hand side. (Bit like Boly). Maybe this is a factor in bringing in Doc.

Narfolk Wolf

Reaction score
Maybe good for the odd goal contribution, never been convinced about his defensive quality just not capable of tracking back.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not a fan if this one to be honest. I was shocked when he left, but couldn't care less any more. Especially after his interview after he left came out when he spoke about pushing for a move away, yet in his final video for Wolves was talking about how he's looking forward to his future here.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
No one has mentioned salary I don’t think. He got himself a big wage rise at spurs and I doubt now he’s a free agent he’s going to be wanting to drop too much especially at his age. I’d be steering clear of giving him a big wage as potentially a part time player
Didn't Doc's wages jump from 60k to 180k a week when he went to Spurs? Whatever it was, I recall it was a big pay rise like you say.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The likely upshot of this signing is we will move Jonny on, which means we will make a little bit of money, add a homegrown player to the squad and free up a international spot. So it seems sensible if unspectacular. And I'd be lying if I said I didn't think it's nice to see one of the old boys back (all the way back to the days of Mick). Questions for me are: is Doherty the same player who left us (he was butchered by Matty Cash while playing for Spurs) and how does he fit into JL's gameplan? As a very advanced full back, TAA style, or will he only play from the bench when we seek to see out a lead and go to a back three?

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really unsure about this. As a full back in a 4 he will struggle in my opinion.
I don't know what to think either. Part of me thinks the negativity is a bit OTT, part of me recalls he hasn't really done anything for quite a while now and never looked especially comfortable outside a 5-3-2/3-4-3.

The biggest part of me reserves judgement because often we are completely wrong about how successful a signing will anyway.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We needed an improvement at RB, not a RWB. That is unless we are suddenly reverting back to 3 at the back, which personally I don't see. Although to be honest, I wouldn't have a big issue with. The reason it became unstuck last time was down to personnel, not system.

I am against the signing and I worry we will have a similar attitude on the other flank. left back and right back were two big areas that needed addressing this summer imo.

wolveslegend

Groupie
Reaction score
poor by wolves, his wages could go towards someone who will play a lot more, people thinking they are getting the doc under nuno are deluded, he was poor before nuno and hasn't been any good since he legged it for a better wage (look how that turned out) . Bad call in my opinion. surely we have someone in the youth setup who could do the job he will.

zedkiel60

Groupie
Reaction score
Not for me, yes hes scored the odd goal here and there but defending was mediocre at best.At the wages he probably wants in my opinion signing him shows a complete lack of ambition. He was allowed to leave for a reason, can anyone think he's improved since.

Back
Top Bottom