Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What shoould Wolves do next with Fabio Silva?

What should Wolves do next with Fabio Silva

• Sell Fabio for between 10 - 15 million with add-ons

Votes: 252 66.7%
  • Loan with an option to buy at 20 million

Votes: 27 7.1%
  • Dry loan to another club and assess in the summer

Votes: 31 8.2%
  • Keep Fabio at Wolves and use him in a meaningful way.

Votes: 51 13.5%
  • Other

Votes: 17 4.5%

• Total voters

DJLWolf

Reaction score
I dont get that at all the Championship is far more competetive than the SPL and apart from Celtic/Rangers there are bigger clubs than the SPL I'd much rather be playing against the likes of Leicester, Leeds, Sheff Wed, Norwich, Ipswich etc than the likes of Kilmarnock, Ross County and Hibs.

The standard of player is also much higher I couldn't see celtic or rangers beating Ipswich, Leeds, Southampton, Leicester if I'm honest.
Agreed

Silva would get absolutely bullied in the championship.

A lot of the centre backs in that league are big and very physical.

He wouldn't stand a chance and it would negatively impact his value even more so than this stint in Scotland.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just had a peek at Twitter and, uh, I don't think people were impressed with Fabio in the first half against Dundee.

Sounds like the whole team has been ****, mind.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just had a peek at Twitter and, uh, I don't think people were impressed with Fabio in the first half against Dundee.

Sounds like the whole team has been ****, mind.
Just done the same… yikes. Getting absolute pelters isn’t he.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio taken off for Rangers and he doesn't look very happy with Ross County going ahead 2-1

Rangers will not pay £10 for him on this showing never mind £10 million
Same again Fabio taken off tonight early second half against Dundee at 0-0 making no impact at all in the game at this low level!

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he is not setting that league alight, then he won't make it in the Premier league. The likes of Boyd and Larrson have looked world class in Scotland and been average elsewhere. Our Oscar Wilde lookalike has flattered to deceive, but he hasn't got it. Any money we get fir him is better than paying his wages. Nice lad I'm sure, but not a proper premierleague striker
Larsson average elsewhere is total BS pal.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Larsson average elsewhere is total BS pal.
If you look back I owned up to that not long after I posted it. I thought he spent longer at united than he did and had little impact. Didn't remember him leaving so soon and just being there as a stop gap.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The loan to Rangers surely has to be the last throw of the dice before we cut our losses in the summer, moving Fabio on permanently, saving on his salary + whatever fee we can get for him. All clubs make poor choices in the transfer market and the skill is to know when to cut your losses. Can honestly say I think Che Adams would add more value to our squad than Silva.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Player ratings for Fabio against Dundee tonight.
Fábio Silva average rating 2.03

How the heck can a £35 million footballer sink so low against Championship opposition ?, more to the point who would want to buy him ?, Cradley Town might take him on a free.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s getting to the point where I wonder what on earth we are going to do with him.

Fabio is on loan to Glasgow Rangers, currently and for a long time, the second best club in the whole of Scottish football. He would be scoring goals for fun if he was any good.

The football level in Scottish Premier League is probably the equivalent of the English championship at best, yet our £35million striker has been substituted against Ross County and Dundee in the last 2 matches, where Rangers have picked up 1 point out of 6. He’s not scoring goals or creating chances despite starting games and Rangers fans seem to have nothing good to say about him.

What on earth are we going to do with him? GON doesn’t want him, otherwise he would have kept him due to our awful injury problems. He’s had numerous loans, which don’t seem to have worked out or are working out at Rangers and his career seems to be going nowhere

I have no idea what is value is or what club would permanently sign him. I really don’t. Does anybody else?

Maybe he needs someone to put their arms around him and tell him what he’s doing wrong, which is a hell of a lot imo, otherwise he may drift into obscurity.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Turning into a really sad story all in all isn't it?

The fee is the killer here though isn't it, if you were to say he is 22 and has scored goals in the prem and various other top flight leagues you wouldn't think badly of him at all, but that 35 million price tag is the kick in the nuts.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A sad heist story? A solemn caper?

You wouldn’t think badly of Fabio but you wouldn’t expect him to succeed in a top-5 league either, there’s no attribute or production to indicate that he would. Top-10 could be a stretch. If he weren’t a Wolves player, every time you saw him it would be, “Oh yeah this guy exists.”

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another day, another Fabio's value has reduced story. :(

loppers86

Reaction score
it’s actually starting to look like paid £35m for a future Doncaster Rovers bench warmer isn’t it.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s getting to the point where I wonder what on earth we are going to do with him.

Fabio is on loan to Glasgow Rangers, currently and for a long time, the second best club in the whole of Scottish football. He would be scoring goals for fun if he was any good.

The football level in Scottish Premier League is probably the equivalent of the English championship at best, yet our £35million striker has been substituted against Ross County and Dundee in the last 2 matches, where Rangers have picked up 1 point out of 6. He’s not scoring goals or creating chances despite starting games and Rangers fans seem to have nothing good to say about him.

What on earth are we going to do with him? GON doesn’t want him, otherwise he would have kept him due to our awful injury problems. He’s had numerous loans, which don’t seem to have worked out or are working out at Rangers and his career seems to be going nowhere

I have no idea what is value is or what club would permanently sign him. I really don’t. Does anybody else?

Maybe he needs someone to put their arms around him and tell him what he’s doing wrong, which is a hell of a lot imo, otherwise he may drift into obscurity.
It’s fairly obvious what we’re going to do with him …

Make a great big loss!

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It seemed to start fairly well for him at Rangers, when he was sharing/alternating in the 9 role. Doesn’t seem to have suited him since he’s played that wider left role. Which I’m not actually surprised about.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I have got my fingers crossed that our best hope for moving on from this sorry saga is Braga. They have had Rodrigo Gomes out on loan, we have had Fabio out on loan. Hopefully there is a chance of a swap deal so we can all just move on.

Fabio clearly needs to go back to Portugal and get back to basics for a few years. Braga could have interest in a Portuguese u21 with 10 goals in 20 games in exchange for a player they haven't used all season.

I just can't see anyone paying a fee and can't see any other place but Portugal being the right fit for Fabio himself.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have to ask serious questions of why we allowed him to go to Rangers. It was never going to work and the physicality of the league was always a real concern.

I still don't think we need to do anything though because there's no need.

We're not getting the book value for him, and we're probably not even going to get a proper offer of more than £5m truth be told. So, selling him should be out the question, and that's fine.

He still effectively has three years left on his deal, but we just need to treat him as what he is now - a young player who will head out on loan.

He's a Portugal U21 international, he scores goals for them, so there will be takers.

I still think his big issues are mentally, so if he sorts that out, maybe he can become a good player. I know it's hard to believe now, but that's still so young, he's just been around for ages.

Wolves deserve a lot of blame for sending him to Rangers but ultimately it's on Silva. He needs to sort his attitude out.

He may have felt after doing reasonably well with Anderlecht and PSV that he warranted more opportunities this season than he had, which is fair enough, but this Rangers spell is a bump back down to earth.

He needs to get himself right, go out on loan next season and see what happens. And we need to hope something clicks.

DJLWolf

Reaction score
We have to ask serious questions of why we allowed him to go to Rangers. It was never going to work and the physicality of the league was always a real concern.

I still don't think we need to do anything though because there's no need.

We're not getting the book value for him, and we're probably not even going to get a proper offer of more than £5m truth be told. So, selling him should be out the question, and that's fine.

He still effectively has three years left on his deal, but we just need to treat him as what he is now - a young player who will head out on loan.

He's a Portugal U21 international, he scores goals for them, so there will be takers.

I still think his big issues are mentally, so if he sorts that out, maybe he can become a good player. I know it's hard to believe now, but that's still so young, he's just been around for ages.

Wolves deserve a lot of blame for sending him to Rangers but ultimately it's on Silva. He needs to sort his attitude out.

He may have felt after doing reasonably well with Anderlecht and PSV that he warranted more opportunities this season than he had, which is fair enough, but this Rangers spell is a bump back down to earth.

He needs to get himself right, go out on loan next season and see what happens. And we need to hope something clicks.
Agree that for financial reasons he'll far more likely just keep getting loaned out and then perhaps sold with a year left on his deal.

Unfortunately, I don't think his issues are just mentally, although his confidence is shot for sure.I think there is just a real lack of ability as the root cause (especially at the top level).

He will end up spending his career in B grade European leagues like Holland, Belgium or Portugal where he'll probably build a reasonable career for himself, but evidence suggests that's his ceiling.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He didn't impress Nuno. He didn't impress Lage. He didn't impress Steve Clark (I know, I know). He didn't impress Lopetegui. He hasn't impressed GON.

Except for the finances involved, he's an irrelevance. He'll never play for us again.
And now he's not impressing anyone in Scotland.

Ebbo

Reaction score
The way I look at it, is we were very much on the Mendes carousel, so you get favours and deals that work well for you…and some payback when required.

So within the carousel of teams within his sphere of influence (let’s call it that) we benefitted from so many deals for players to get us promoted and then to 7th place twice…

Without him the likes of Neves, Jota, Boly, Moutinho etc wouldn’t have signed for us and certainly not for the low fees we secured.

So, not surprising that when another club on the carousel needs money… Porto for instance in the case of Fabio… the favours are called in. We wasted money on others too, on that carousel, but Fabio's age makes this one really stand out!!

Now we are less reliant on Mendes it’s unlikely to happen so much but imho we need, as a fan base, to stop overanalysing the Fabio fee and the signing. It was a deal that wasn’t necessarily in our interest, but it was a result of others that were... IMHO...

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need to stop letting him dictate where he goes for a start.

He seems to want to just go somewhere he'll get to play European football of some sort, rather than what'd actually best for his development or for us to recoup some of our outlay.

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
I'm all Fabio'ed out. Have a feeling he won't be sold anytime soon and will remain a perennial problem / dilemma. I really would like to read Shi's opinion? He's become a figure of derision for Celtic fans and one of anger, by fans from the other side of Glasgow. It wasn't supposed to be like this? We won't be the first club to be had-over in a hefty transfer fee and certainly won't be the last.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i still stay keep him, he's a player i think will look and be a lot better with better players supplying him, he makes a lot of good runs
The problem is, he doesn't seem to want to be here, or at least be here whilst needing to fight for a place.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
To be fair to Fabio, I had a peek at a Rangers forum and it sounds like they have been playing a very direct, long ball style that doesn't really suit any of their attackers. It obviously will never suit Fabio, whose only notable skill that I can see is finding space with good movement in a more static game.

Not sure Clement is helping is my point. To be honest, I expected Rangers would play a more possession style domestically. Obviously this isn't working for them!

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair to Fabio, I had a peek at a Rangers forum and it sounds like they have been playing a very direct, long ball style that doesn't really suit any of their attackers. It obviously will never suit Fabio, whose only notable skill that I can see is finding space with good movement in a more static game.

Not sure Clement is helping is my point. To be honest, I expected Rangers would play a more possession style domestically. Obviously this isn't working for them!
I watched a couple of games and it seemed like they avoided the left side which is Fabio's wing.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is what it is with Fabio. I have gave him pelters for his ability and stand by that, but it goes beyond that

It is the Mendes system. Let's pretend we paid £35m for Pedro Neto, £15m for Fabio Silva - would the latter deal hurt so much? Would the former sound about right?

I remember being told when it first became apparent Mendes was going to be a big part of our recruitment, fees quoted meant absolutely nothing. And for much of that period of 2017-2020, you could argue it is about right. Even at the age of 31, João Moutinho for £5m was nothing short of stupid really.

For the good of the club and Fabio, this needs to come to an end in the summer. I don't even doubt he won't have a decent career of some sort. But it will never come in a league of any high credibility.

Back
Top Bottom