Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What shoould Wolves do next with Fabio Silva?

What should Wolves do next with Fabio Silva

• Sell Fabio for between 10 - 15 million with add-ons

Votes: 244 66.1%
  • Loan with an option to buy at 20 million

Votes: 27 7.3%
  • Dry loan to another club and assess in the summer

Votes: 31 8.4%
  • Keep Fabio at Wolves and use him in a meaningful way.

Votes: 51 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 16 4.3%

• Total voters

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Again, I don’t know why this negative attitude toward Fabio is warranted. It’s not like he has a terrible attitude and has a poor work ethic. In other words, he’s no Guedes. I’m rooting for him to regain his confidence and keep improving—whether or not he is in Gary’s current plans. His success on loan will either help him make the playing rotation next year or it will help us with a small profit if we move him on. Win, win.

As far as the club goes, it is turning out to be a mistake to bring in Fabio for that price…gamble backfired. But, it’s all hindsight BS as acquiring (young) players is not an exact science. And let’s not exaggerate—it wasn’t a disaster—poor, maybe, but not disastrous.

Football is littered with poor transfers and failed prodigies. Anyway, come on Fabio! Keep knocking them in!

It is money, the experts on the mix have spoken.

fleck1

Reaction score
I think we can all admit the most important thing for a young strikers development is to be playing games and scoring goals. He went out and did that last season, barely got a kick first half of the season with us and now back on loan with 6 goals already under his belt. Whether he stays or goes this is the ideal scenario for us and his development. Playing in a team competing for trophies and in Europe is good exposure for experience or a future fee.
It doesn't matter what side of the fence you are on we'd all happily have him back and be behind him if he came back and became an asset. Unfortunately he was a young kid being used as a pawn in a bigger game.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve spent the last 30 mins or so watching a re run of the second half of the Hibs Rangers Cup match…..Fabio scored a goal albeit Hibs were down to 9 men at the time.

I really don’t know what to say. The standard is appalling and Fabio runs around on the edge of things. He doesn’t look out of place unfortunately!

At one point he got the ball with some space in front of him and ran forward yet he was unable to get away from a lumbering Hibs Centre Half who eventually cleared the ball.

Sometimes he looks like he’s hiding. Other times he can be very static.

A scout would not have seen anything to write home about

Planty

Groupie
Reaction score
Fabio is a huge confidence player same as Podence, Guedes when they are up against it you can tell. Which is why we should do more to support players. Myself included

It can be frustrating sometimes but we must look at the bigger picture and players welfare more so these days.

It feels like the ship has sailed for them in the old gold but wish them every bit of luck with the next move. Sad really because they are all capable on their day.
Know what you mean but I actually don't think podence and guedes are 'confidence players' more like they play **** if they are in a sulk.

Channy is probably the biggest 'confidence player' I can remember for us in recent times. Bursts of form where he plays like prime aguero

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
From BBC tonight....

Fabio Silva sends a ball out of play under no real pressure.

The home fans vent a wee bit of frustration.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think that performance today against Benfica is a good indication of where he is at with his development...

So many times you think right this is a game where you can do something, he shows a couple of good small moments then spends the rest of the game not getting involved running around but not getting into good areas and never looking like a goal threat...

He has talent for sure but he still has real weaknesses in his all round game also not convinced he has the right attitude doesn't have drive to really push on!

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching Rangers is really weird, it's as if none of them trust each other enough to give them the ball

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course we would, none of the rangers players get in our first team.

I wouldn't be quite so arrogant. Benfica are levels above Braga, but our side a few years ago which was better than this one lost and drew with them. Rangers are no mugs and also reached a euro final just two seasons ago, losing on penalties.

TelfordWolf

Reaction score
I wouldn't be quite so arrogant. Benfica are levels above Braga, but our side a few years ago which was better than this one lost and drew with them. Rangers are no mugs and also reached a euro final just two seasons ago, losing on penalties.
He’s not wrong though? I wouldn’t want any of that Rangers team starting for us?

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s not wrong though? I wouldn’t want any of that Rangers team starting for us?
I mean with the greatest respect Todd Cantwell was struggling to get into the starting line up in the championship for both Norwich/Bournemouth and went to Rangers and became one of their better players straight away...

I Watch a fair bit of SPL and the standard is miles off the Premier League it has to be said.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean with the greatest respect Todd Cantwell was struggling to get into the starting line up in the championship for both Norwich/Bournemouth and went to Rangers and became one of their better players straight away...

I Watch a fair bit of SPL and the standard is miles off the Premier League it has to be said.
Exactly what rangers player would get in our team?? Not one. Poor league

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve spent the last 30 mins or so watching a re run of the second half of the Hibs Rangers Cup match…..Fabio scored a goal albeit Hibs were down to 9 men at the time.

I really don’t know what to say. The standard is appalling and Fabio runs around on the edge of things. He doesn’t look out of place unfortunately!

At one point he got the ball with some space in front of him and ran forward yet he was unable to get away from a lumbering Hibs Centre Half who eventually cleared the ball.

Sometimes he looks like he’s hiding. Other times he can be very static.

A scout would not have seen anything to write home about
you’ve answered your own point. you completely gloss over a well taken goal, you make it sound like a tap in!

poor.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hopefully Fabio kicks on the rest of the season and shows he can contribute consistently from this spot on the left even without the Europa League as a showcase.

Putting up some numbers would be useful for all parties.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Again, I don’t know why this negative attitude toward Fabio is warranted. It’s not like he has a terrible attitude and has a poor work ethic. In other words, he’s no Guedes. I’m rooting for him to regain his confidence and keep improving—whether or not he is in Gary’s current plans. His success on loan will either help him make the playing rotation next year or it will help us with a small profit if we move him on. Win, win.

As far as the club goes, it is turning out to be a mistake to bring in Fabio for that price…gamble backfired. But, it’s all hindsight BS as acquiring (young) players is not an exact science. And let’s not exaggerate—it wasn’t a disaster—poor, maybe, but not disastrous.

Football is littered with poor transfers and failed prodigies. Anyway, come on Fabio! Keep knocking them in!
Good post.
Yes it was a gamble to get Silva but it was an ambitious gamble. Also bringing JL and his assistants was also an expensive and ambitious gamble.
How yet many times do we read that Fosun/Wolves are not ambitious enough?

Bradstonian

Reaction score
Today's televised match between Dundee and Fabio Silva has just been called-off due to a waterlogged pitch.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
GON comes across as a very honest guy and I’d love to hear his answer to the question “with Cunha and Hwang injured, do you regret sending Silva out on another loan?”.
I have a feeling the answer would be “No”, which would surely seal the deal for a permanent move in the summer.
This would bring an end to a very expensive gamble on a player whose stats weren’t exceptional in a far less competitive league than ours. I have no doubt someone like Chris Wood would have contributed far more for half what we paid for Silva.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact is that he seems a lot happier at the clubs that he goes to on loan. He seems to be loving life at Rangers, and he said how much he liked working with Van Nistelrooy at PSV and how he would like to stay there. When he is at Wolves he seems incredibly miserable, culminating in that interview, in which he appeared very down, and actually breaking down in tears on the pitch. I know we have a lot of money invested in him, but I cannot honestly see how he is going to succeed here under the present manager, and for his own mental health it would be a good idea to move him on.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he can't settle down here and play a role GON wants him to, then we should sell him. In Belgium, he seemed to have more pace than we realise and his upper body development meant he held the ball up well with a defender at his back, but in his bride moments back here he looked far less good but maybe that was because he wasn't given enough time to settle into how the rest of the team play. I really don't know; he's an enigma.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he can't settle down here and play a role GON wants him to, then we should sell him. In Belgium, he seemed to have more pace than we realise and his upper body development meant he held the ball up well with a defender at his back, but in his bride moments back here he looked far less good but maybe that was because he wasn't given enough time to settle into how the rest of the team play. I really don't know; he's an enigma.
Great idea but it requires a buyer.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact is that he seems a lot happier at the clubs that he goes to on loan. He seems to be loving life at Rangers, and he said how much he liked working with Van Nistelrooy at PSV and how he would like to stay there. When he is at Wolves he seems incredibly miserable, culminating in that interview, in which he appeared very down, and actually breaking down in tears on the pitch. I know we have a lot of money invested in him, but I cannot honestly see how he is going to succeed here under the present manager, and for his own mental health it would be a good idea to move him on.

I still think too many fans cant get past the fee we payed for him and seem to have very little patience. I do agree though, i think its best for everyone if he moves on.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still think too many fans cant get past the fee we payed for him and seem to have very little patience. I do agree though, i think its best for everyone if he moves on.
I don’t see how the fee is not relevant. Not his fault as he did not set the fee but it the combination of the fee and phrases like “generational talent” attributed to Jeff Shi (I think) set the (not unreasonable) expectations which have not been realised.
If we had paid £10M for him I don’t think many (I) would be so critical.
I have been prepared to be patient and wanted him to have a chance to develop ( same with Cutrone actually) but that time is now up and it’s time for both parties to move on.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because he knows he gets slated here. There's a reason he was in tears when that penalty was given against him at Bramall Lane and it wasn't because he knows he has the full support of the fans. When he's gone away he's played with a freedom he just doesn't have here. That version of Fabio Silva would be a regular player for us, but when he puts on a Wolves top it may as well be a millstone

Whether he can get over that I've no idea, it seemed like he was getting there last summer then Lopetegui left and he didn't get up and running with O'Neil. I think this summer will be last chance saloon either way. He's a good player and will go on to have a good career, but it can't be underestimated how bad his move here has turned out for his development

Mel Eves on a bike

Reaction score
Because he knows he gets slated here. There's a reason he was in tears when that penalty was given against him at Bramall Lane and it wasn't because he knows he has the full support of the fans. When he's gone away he's played with a freedom he just doesn't have here. That version of Fabio Silva would be a regular player for us, but when he puts on a Wolves top it may as well be a millstone

Whether he can get over that I've no idea, it seemed like he was getting there last summer then Lopetegui left and he didn't get up and running with O'Neil. I think this summer will be last chance saloon either way. He's a good player and will go on to have a good career, but it can't be underestimated how bad his move here has turned out for his development
I disagree. I think he’s been well supported. You always get loads of idiots on social media but at the ground he got great support when he played with the fans singing his name, desperate for him to do well.

I think it’s the weight of the price tag and his desire to repay that with goals that is the issue. At other clubs he won’t have that. It’s been too much of a burden at a young age IMO.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t see how the fee is not relevant. Not his fault as he did not set the fee but it the combination of the fee and phrases like “generational talent” attributed to Jeff Shi (I think) set the (not unreasonable) expectations which have not been realised.
If we had paid £10M for him I don’t think many (I) would be so critical.
I have been prepared to be patient and wanted him to have a chance to develop ( same with Cutrone actually) but that time is now up and it’s time for both parties to move on.

The fee just isnt relevant with Silva's development as a player. The only criticism of the fee should be leveled at the ones who bought him. People have been at Silva from very early on simply because he was an 18 year old we paid too much money for and then threw him in the team way, way before he should have been .

Anyone with any kind of intelligence doesn't judge an 18 year old based on his transfer fee, let alone an 18 year old who was ( no pun intended ) thrown to the Wolves because our squad was too thin. Fraser is getting the same as a 19 year old being forced to play before he is ready and he's a home grown player. Its just impatient fans who dont have a clue that not every young player is going to come into a Premier league side and play like Wayne Rooney.

Back
Top Bottom