Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What is it about Brentford?

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This team really does seem to get the goat of so many of our fans. I lived in West London in the late '80's and early '90s and they were my local club. At the time they were a 3rd division side and for much of the time I used to go to the ground they were being managed by Steve Perryman. As I used have to work half days on Saturdays it was a ground I went to regularly and used very much enjoy my visits to. I always found the fans friendly. I also attended our last two away games at the ground. I really love this little club and their fans, not as much as the Wolves of course, but enough to feel what a great season this one will be for them, even if they fail to make the play-offs/gain promotion.
What I don't get is what appears to be the hatred and contempt so many of our fans seem to have for Brentford. They have never been a threat to us. In a city of rich and powerful clubs their fans are genuine football supporters given their continued support for a less successful team. And as I say I've always found people from West London good humoured and friendly.

E

Essex Wolf

Can't speak for others WIL but I recall both last seasons game against them and from my POV thought many of their supporters were arrogant with a chip on their shoulders.

After Wolves beat them on their own patch it was as if Wolves as a club were the spawn of Satan. As I say just my POV.

Leigh72

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
CHIP? bloody hell more like a bag of potato's lol, hope we can ruin their hopes again as we did last year, its the un-warranted arrogance that gets my back up!
TINPOT CLUB if ever there was one!

In fairness they are good side, but for how long?

D

Deleted member 4436

Don't mind Brentford. If there's one team i despise, or at least this season, it's Bournemouth.

Yes, they play some lovely, exciting football, however they lose their credibility with their embarrassing sportsmanship, or lack of. I'd love to see them miss out on promotion.

Leigh72

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't mind Brentford. If there's one team i despise, or at least this season, it's Bournemouth.

Yes, they play some lovely, exciting football, however they lose their credibility with their embarrassing sportsmanship, or lack of. I'd love to see them miss out on promotion.

This 1000000%

Aylesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think part of the problem is their manager.

From what I recall last season he was never gracious in defeat and this has stuck in the throat of some.

Personally I enjoy watching Brentford who play some great stuff and score some wonderful goals, however, I don't have any time for their manager. I find him arrogant and never hear him complement the opposition no matter who it is.

Wolf Pack leader

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Could not agree more !!! Horrible little club

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I admire both Brentford and Bournemouth as clubs ... Punching well above their weight in both cases and deservedly so with clever managers. The managers have to be "different" arrogant asholes to make a difference. If they weren't like that it wouldn't happen - just admire them. They deserve the admiration even that arrogant $$$$ Warburton.

For the fans it's sadly just human nature ...

E

Essex Wolf

On the subject of Bournemouth, has anyone else noticed the amount of penalties they get?

In the league alone they have been awarded 12 this season. Dare say some were justifiably given but Wilson seems to fall over very easily. So easy in fact I watched him in one game recently and had to wonder if he was suffering intermittent bouts of Vertigo.

E

Edgmond Wolf

This in Spades

I have no problem with Brentford.....but I hate cheats

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't care about them. I'd take a few of there players but I don't care enough about the club to have an option.

But I'd love to sign Jota or Pritchard.

D

Deleted member 4456

I like Brentford. Bournemouth have no business being at this level though.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brentford seem to score a lot of goals in the last 10 minutes of a game. They must be super fit.

E

Essex Wolf

Brentford seem to score a lot of goals in the last 10 minutes of a game. They must be super fit.

Seem to recall it said Forest players weren't happy with the equaliser as it was scored in the 95th min even though the ref had only given 4 mins extra time. Know it's only a guideline but Brentford do seem to have scored some very very late goals in recent games into injury time but you have to keep going until the final whistle.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the subject of Bournemouth, has anyone else noticed the amount of penalties they get?

In the league alone they have been awarded 12 this season. Dare say some were justifiably given but Wilson seems to fall over very easily. So easy in fact I watched him in one game recently and had to wonder if he was suffering intermittent bouts of Vertigo.

With you all the way on this one Essex. The man is a cheat as was ably demonstrated in the recent game v Ipswich. He went down like he had been hit by Lennox Lewis, as soon as the big Ipswich centre back said something like "I say old chap would you mind not doing that" or words to that effect Wilson jumped up quicker than a grasshopper to square up to him. When ever I see that it suggests a cheat !

M

Mr Wolf

Bolton, Cardiff, Leeds we have scored some late goals.

As for Brentford they are a small time nothing club whose fans should just lay down & accept that we are a bigger & better club, that is why people don't like them.

E

Essex Wolf

With you all the way on this one Essex. The man is a cheat as was ably demonstrated in the recent game v Ipswich. He went down like he had been hit by Lennox Lewis, as soon as the big Ipswich centre back said something like "I say old chap would you mind not doing that" or words to that effect Wilson jumped up quicker than a grasshopper to square up to him. When ever I see that it suggests a cheat !

I clearly recall the non penalty penalty NB they were award against Wolves. Wilson involved again and it wasn't even in the box.

Not saying it doesn't happen at other clubs with other players as we all know it does but Wilson seems to be perfecting the art of falling over far better than any other player I can think of right now.

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bolton, Cardiff, Leeds we have scored some late goals.

As for Brentford they are a small time nothing club whose fans should just lay down & accept that we are a bigger & better club, that is why people don't like arrogant fans like us.

Correction Mr. W and normally I agree with you ...

W

Wolfgang Wolf

will always hold them in the highest of regard

they sold us the greatest wolves player i've ever seen ....... peter broadbent

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I never gave 2 figs for Brentford, but over the last couple of seasons where we have been fairly close in the league I think that they seem to have been getting a bit above themselves in their imagined "rivalry" with us. A bit like Reading. As others have said Warburton is an ungracious $$$$ too. I'm pretty sure normal service will be resumed soon and we can forget all about them for another 25 years.

Bournemouth are another jumped up club. They also have a decent team and an ungracious manager at the moment and are resorting to some pretty underhand tactics on the pitch. Also they are getting so many decisions this season. Both our games with them have been turned in their favour by reffing decisions but this seems to be going on week in week out, with opposing players sent off and 15 penalties awarded this season almost double the amount of any other team! See the following link.

http://www.statbunker.com/competitions/ForPenalty?comp_id=488

Since Mike Jones awful performance at Molineux (and his linesman) I have been very concerned about the degree of bias officials seem to be showing in Bournemouth's favour and I've been regularly checking on their match reports. For example I saw that Gary Rowett was complaining that his players were given offside several times yesterday and in one case he claimed his player was positioned "4 yards onside" and it was an unfathomable decision. As a one off you just accept that officials make mistakes but it just seems to be happening way too often for my liking with Bournemouth this season to the point where I am quite suspicious about it.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have a friend who's a Brentford fan, very respectful and knowledgeable about football, for that reason only, I don't mind them at all. He has 2 Wolves players in his all time favourite England team, Bert Williams and Peter Broadbent.
Generally a fan of a smaller team that is surrounded by bigger teams, deserves some kudos.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I read that ****end Warburton was again talking to the press like he had been watching a different game on Saturday. The arrogance of this man astounds me.

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ungracious in defeat. Their forum is an interesting site, I appreciate we're a pessimistic bunch at times but although the mood has started to turn, there was post after post about when they'll be an established PL side.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't mind Brentford fans or the club it's just the manager i don't like. As for B'mouth... well if they go up it will be the oh what wonderful football they play, a breathe of fresh air bla bla. Never seen a team get so many pens and go down so easy in this division

J

Jackfoxy

Brentford are a great local club who do lots in the community. Pleased they are doing well. Managers come and go - Wharburton is a good manager IMO. Glad for Bournemouth as well - Eddie Howe is a good young manager and has got them playing well. They get penalties because they attack. None of us would be too worried if we were getting the same kind of results...

Glad two smaller clubs are in the mix. Wish we were a bit higher!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brentford and Bournemouth are both clubs whose natural level having regard to history, size of ground, fan base etc is probably League One. Every now and then such a club enjoys a brief spell when it punches above its weight in a higher division. The likes of Oldham, Colchester, Tranmere and Oxford come to mind. Their relative success is inevitably short lived as they lack the resources to maintain life at a higher level and they all return to whence they came. In the meantime let them have their taste of glory as that's the reason why all of us fans keep turning up every Saturday afternoon. And if they get a bit carried away during their temporary stay in a higher division, well that's okay with me - they'll be back down to earth soon enough.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's great for small teams like Brentford to have their moment in the sun. If they don't go up, which they won't, I think they could easily fall away next season as have Orient in Lg 1 after their heroics last season. Small teams have a limited shelf life at the top; some hang about longer than others, notably Wigan who are now about to re-enter their real level and Wimbledon and Blackpool. Good luck to the Bees I say and enjoy your brief spell near the top - it won't last!

wolf97

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it is because of the attitude of Warburton after we won 3-0 at their place last year. And their fans' gloating when they beat us 4-0 in November was laughable, it was like they thought there'd been a rivalry with us for decades! I think it's just a case of small club syndrome; they like to think we care about them but we (well, I, anyway :D ) don't. Very similar to Walsall.

Last edited by a moderator:

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it is because of the attitude of Warburton after we won 3-0 at their place last year. And their fans' gloating when they beat us 4-0 in November was laughable, it was like they thought there'd been a rivalry with us for decades! I think it's just a case of small club syndrome; they like to think we care about them but we (well, I, anyway :D ) don't. Very similar to Walsall.

He was such a ******* , so ungracious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seem to recall it said Forest players weren't happy with the equaliser as it was scored in the 95th min even though the ref had only given 4 mins extra time. Know it's only a guideline but Brentford do seem to have scored some very very late goals in recent games into injury time but you have to keep going until the final whistle.

to be fair essex - they always say "a minimum of x minutes....", as it's up to the ref then a) if he adds on time during extra time for any other time lost / wasted during that period, or b) if the team is attacking at the time the 4 minutes is passed, he can decide to add on some additional time (at his discretion, I believe) to allow the attack to happen, and even then a corner or two if necessary (like he did with Wolves at the end of the first half against Leeds, where he added over a minute more I seem to recall)

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
Don't mind Brentford, I'm really keen to see how their new footballing philosophy works out going forward. They're going to be recruiting players based largely on stats, sort of like the Moneyball scenario. If they're successful, could bring about big changes in the way clubs are run. Don't like Warburton though, something about the way he conducts himself doesn't sit right with me. I know we're spoilt by having Kenny Jackett, but still.

As for Bournemouth, there's a lot to like. Bought a lot of young players from the lower Leagues, play some lovely football, and even though they have a really rich Russian bloke in charge, they don't feel like a club that's lost its soul, yet. But, all that said, I don't know why they feel they have to cheat. It's not just the penalties, the behaviour of their players at Molineux in particular left me feeling very uneasy, they basically took advantage of an incompetent referee to steal three points. And then Eddie Howe had the audacity in his post match interview to suggest that it was his tactical decisions which turned the game...

C

Chch Wolf

I'm pretty ambivalent towards Brentford, but I do have a certain amount of respect for their fans. If you're a Brentford local it would be all too easy to support one of the 'big clubs' that are within easy reach.

I like fans who support their local team (or the team they grew up with) as opposed to jumping on a Manchester/Liverpool/London club bandwagon.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Glad for Bournemouth as well - Eddie Howe is a good young manager and has got them playing well. They get penalties because they attack.

The top 3 clubs for goals scored in the championship are:
Watford - scored 77 excluding pens - 8 pens awarded
Bournemouth - scored 76 excluding pens - 15 pens awarded
Norwich - scored 75 excluding pens - 6 pens awarded

Clearly Watford and Norwich attack too as they average the same number of goals (excluding pens) as Bournemouth yet they average less than half the penalties that have been awarded to Bournemouth. There is more to it than Bournemouth just getting penalties "because they attack".

E

E is for idiot.

Don't forget Wilson and his standing in front of the keeper act he does every $$$$ing game. I hate that, why not just stop being a $$$$ and play your natural game. Good player, bit of a $$$$.

D

Deleted member 4436

The top 3 clubs for goals scored in the championship are:
Watford - scored 77 excluding pens - 8 pens awarded
Bournemouth - scored 76 excluding pens - 15 pens awarded
Norwich - scored 75 excluding pens - 6 pens awarded

Clearly Watford and Norwich attack too as they average the same number of goals (excluding pens) as Bournemouth yet they average less than half the penalties that have been awarded to Bournemouth. There is more to it than Bournemouth just getting penalties "because they attack".

That's an incredible stat. Maybe it's just 'one of them seasons' for Bournemouth.

Back
Top Bottom