Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

West Ham United Verdict

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Just got home....

Firstly Lage has lost the support of the away fans. It is time for him to go.

West Ham were poor and any decent team would have beaten them convincingly. We never looked like scoring until Costa came on and there was a slight improvement.

It was a lame performance lacking any threat. It was just so ****...

A word to the new manager please play our best player and captain in his rightful place.
This for me. West Ham were so poor, I bet they’re counting their lucky stars it was us they played today. Even someone as **** as Villa wouldn’t have lost to them today.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All I hear is cryptic bull**** on here, on Twitter by Wolves fans who are desperate to seem in the know.

If you don't wanna say, don't say and leave it at that, instead of all this hinting at what you supposedly know. (again, this is not just directed at you).

What I know is that Wolves bought a centre-back for the first time in five years and Coady ****ed off.

I know he was embarrassing in pre-season against lower league sides.

And since he departed all he has done is say how desperate he was to go. His kids who were Wolves fans now always loved Everton and the great fans we supposedly had have already been beaten by the mighty Everton fans.

My opinion, based on what I know, is that Coady comes across as a bit of a snake. He should still be at Wolves at third choice but his ego wouldn't allow it.

I'm absolutely all ears if you want to actually tell me something that has happened but as of now you just seem like all the others who are happy to hint that Lage has done something, and you all 'know' but you won't say.

You don't have to say by the way, I'm just stating my opinion is on what I know.
Hurt feelings aside.. what I know, is that we gifted a decent footballer, who would have certainly started today, to a competitor.

Poor man management. The rest is all a bit “Housewives of Wolverhampton” for my liking.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This for me. West Ham were so poor, I bet they’re counting their lucky stars it was us they played today. Even someone as **** as Villa wouldn’t have lost to them today.

They looked out of sorts against a 33 year old who hasn't played a game in nearly a year once he came on. West Ham were very poor they didn't even really outplay us but had a few players who can score a goal which helps.

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
It must be a tricky balance for the players to try hard enough so that the fans don't call them out, but not so hard that they end up winning the game and keeping the head coach they want rid of in his job.

JadeWolf

Reaction score
They looked out of sorts against a 33 year old who hasn't played a game in nearly a year once he came on. West Ham were very poor they didn't even really outplay us but had a few players who can score a goal which helps.
Even then they were helped by a deflection for the first goal and a loopy lucky bounce for the second. They didn’t really carve us open. It was two very poor out of sorts teams and unfortunately for us we wouldn’t score if we were still playing now.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will be relegated with this manager. Simple as, the players we have are better than this, he might be a great coach but he ain't a manager
Unfortunately I think you have both summed it up and got it all wrong!
He was and will never be a manager at wolves. His job is/was a head coach of a squad selected by Jeff and Sellers.
But yes, he is rubbish and has to go. Get the next stooge in to work with the squad that they have no say in (that isnt meant sarcastically).

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hurt feelings aside.. what I know, is that we gifted a decent footballer, who would have certainly started today, to a competitor.

Poor man management. The rest is all a bit “Housewives of Wolverhampton” for my liking.
I agree that we gifted a player to a competitor. It was poor business.

However, you have to ask why? Why would we do it? Seems to me we’d only do it if Coady was desperate to go and instigated it. Until someone actually tells me anything different, all I can see are comments that suggests Coady did just that.

we love jez moxey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just got back. Probably the worst stadium I've ever watched a game of football in. Half empty, Zero atmosphere. Just really crap!

West ham had 2 decent attempts at goal all game and scored them both, the were dire, but we were worse.

That team selection was absolutely baffling to me, couldn't decide whether it was a back 5 or 4, at times semedo was playing on the wing and Jonny rb, other times jonny was CD .

Either way, huge gaping holes were left on the left hand side when RAN was attempting to to get us forward. He and Podence were our best 2 players, for me Podence deserves huge respect for performing an impossible task admirably.

Whilst I have completely lost faith in Lage , I do also think our transfer policy for the entire time he has been here has been confusing.
We went from absolute poverty for the first 3 windows , to a mad, poorly thought out spending spree in the last window.
So poorly thought out that we were one defensive absence away from playing Ruben Neves Centre half, and 1 striker injury away from panickly defrosting Costa .

It all seems a bit of a mess at the moment, there should be plenty more of the hierarchy following Lage out of the door this weekend.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The argument that we give him the next 2 games is bloody mental.

We lose at Chelsea, obviously.

Then what? Potentially scrape past Forest. What the hell does that prove?

That fixture should be used as the perfect first game for a new manager to get going.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

However, you have to ask why? Why would we do it? Seems to me we’d only do it if Coady was desperate to go and instigated it. Until someone actually tells me anything different, all I can see are comments that suggests Coady did just that.
Yeah.. but I can only guess what might or might not have happened there. Maybe Connor was causing scenes.. but I can’t help but feel that’s just man management.

Nuno managed to keep Neves here even when he wasn’t always starting him.

JadeWolf

Reaction score
The argument that we give him the next 2 games is bloody mental.

We lose at Chelsea, obviously.

Then what? Potentially scrape past Forest. What the hell does that prove?

That fixture should be used as the perfect first game for a new manager to get going.
Agree all it would be is papering over cracks. He’s not the man.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We just look so clueless he cant stay in charge. Guedes he doesnt seem to know where he wants to play him, which isnt helping him at all. Neto he knows where he wants to play him but its in a role he isnt suited for. He loses one defender and he totally changes the team shape. Its comical from him.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It was not down to coady having an ego or downing tools, it was straight up awful management at management level which essentially pushed him out (so I'm told). Like constructive dismissal lite.

I can understand coady going if lage really felt he wasn't going to work but the above is deeply unfair and lage's actions, including formation today, and coady's performances at everton tell their own story.

I know nothing about the boly situation beyond the rumours here tho so won't add to speculation.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thoroughly depressed after watching the match on Sky.
We have to get rid of Lage now.
West Ham have not won at home for 6 months until they played our shambles of a team.
Moutinho has lost it and sad to watch - simply too old.
Sa seems nothing like he was last season.
Can't believe we paid £27M for Guedes - what a waste of money?
That's it - I am off to bed and will be in a bad mood all weekend and probably longer.
Our next match is against Chelsea who we will have to face without Neves, Collins and I presume Neto.
Please Wolves, cheer me up by getting rid of BL in the next few days...

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be clear, we didn't outplay West Ham whatsoever. They are not much cop either, but they deliberately soak up possession with an eye for a quick break (which they did for the first goal). The idea that we dominated or controlled that game is a comforting deception. Outside of a five minute spell where Costa put himself about, we barely troubled them defensively.
Spot on. Conceding 85% possession over a 15 minute spell without having to make a single save is the dream for a team like West Ham. It’s literally their game plan.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just got back. Probably the worst stadium I've ever watched a game of football in. Half empty, Zero atmosphere. Just really crap!

West ham had 2 decent attempts at goal all game and scored them both, the were dire, but we were worse.

That team selection was absolutely baffling to me, couldn't decide whether it was a back 5 or 4, at times semedo was playing on the wing and Jonny rb, other times jonny was CD .

Either way, huge gaping holes were left on the left hand side when RAN was attempting to to get us forward. He and Podence were our best 2 players, for me Podence deserves huge respect for performing an impossible task admirably.

Whilst I have completely lost faith in Lage , I do also think our transfer policy for the entire time he has been here has been confusing.
We went from absolute poverty for the first 3 windows , to a mad, poorly thought out spending spree in the last window.
So poorly thought out that we were one defensive absence away from playing Ruben Neves Centre half, and 1 striker injury away from panickly defrosting Costa .

It all seems a bit of a mess at the moment, there should be plenty more of the hierarchy following Lage out of the door this weekend.
Issues with lage aside, agree here. We signed a striker we knew would spend a big chunk of the season injured instead of others who could have done a job. I'm sure he's a good player but as soon as his injury record came out, yikes.

We fluffed our lines with dawson, doncks, and the villa saga whilst letting two other cbs (inc club captain) go. And saiss. Not sure how much of that was lage and how much the club but the board have final say. Good big signings but still a squad without the 1-2 journeymen backup you need.

Even so, lage wont play his own reserves and it was his job to manage the squad, keeping then happy. He'a failed to do that for almost all of 2022 so that's on him. As is the mishandling of hwang (not that we should have signed him). And silva too.

Lots of blame to go around but lage has done a terrible job for more than 6 months now and has no track record other than the same thing happening in his short previous stint.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve just got home and I’m still fuming.

Sat on a coach since 11am. 4.5 hours there, and the same back after some horrendous traffic. £70 of precious money in tickets and travel during a financial crisis to watch that pile of ****, and then they have the NERVE to walk off without clapping us.

Neves came over, but that **** Bruno couldn’t get down the tunnel quick enough. That’s it for me, no more wasted time or money while that clueless ***** is there.

He’s obviously lost the players, and today he lost most of the fans. First time I’ve heard boo’s and chants of Bruno out / you don’t know what you’re doing.

**** off Bruno

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve just got home and I’m still fuming.

Sat on a coach since 11am. 4.5 hours there, and the same back after some horrendous traffic. £70 of precious money in tickets and travel during a financial crisis to watch that pile of ****, and then they have the NERVE to walk off without clapping us.

Neves came over, but that **** Bruno couldn’t get down the tunnel quick enough. That’s it for me, no more wasted time or money while that clueless ***** is there.

He’s obviously lost the players, and today he lost most of the fans. First time I’ve heard boo’s and chants of Bruno out / you don’t know what you’re doing.

**** off Bruno
Sounds brutal mate.. hope your wishes come true tomorrow.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score

Podence had a go despite playing against Zuma who is twice his size. RAN didn't hide either. Sa should have done better with the second goal.
Our main problem is just that we can't score though. Other teans can fight back but with us a goal against is a game ending event.
Bottom line is that the players are not playing to their full potential, be it lack of game plan, on pitch leadership, confidence. motivation, poor coaching, or some other reason; it's s not working. Something different is needed.
As a wise man said, a sign of madness is when you keep doing the same thing but expect a different result every time.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Bruno Lage issues apology to Wolves supporters after West Ham defeat​

Source; E&S

Absolute least he could do. Doesn't exonerate him and the players, but at least he seems to recognise they were wrong not to applaud our fans.

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Source; E&S

Absolute least he could do. Doesn't exonerate him and the players, but at least he seems to recognise they were wrong not to applaud our fans.
Fair play that he's apologised, he really isn't a bad person but on the other hand he really isn't a good manager.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It seems an age ago, but it was last season when a fan of an opposition side asked me what was the system we were playing to because he hadn't been able to identify one. The long and the short of it being we play attractive football in the neutral zone knocking the ball about to one another, but have nothing going forward. I've read similar comments on here this morning - nothing has changed! Lage simply has to go and few expensive players read the riot act or moved on with him.

MikeH68

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This is a verdict about todays game not the last year (those should be on another thread IMO) Wolves deserved a draw IMO, 16 attempt by West Ham 15 by Wolves.. one attempt more than Wolves.

First goal a deflection which was going right into Sa's belly.

West Ham had their first corner at the end.

Mouts should be on the bench if that.

Toti should have been CB.

I really enjoyed the game, end to end stuff

I'm not a Lage supporter if he goes he goes .

PS ignore Townsend!
IMO None of that is incorrect apart from the 3rd but last sentence. It might have been okay but for his record prior to this game. Taken in isolation yes, but not in the context of our current position. It wasn’t good enough.

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He walked down the tunnel instead of leading by example. It reads as him blaming the players only for the lack of respect.
Fair one TBH I haven't read it just saw that he apologised, tbh at the moment I'm not that bothered in what he's got to say anymore

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Source; E&S

I think it wasnt good enough from the players, but at the same time i'm not sure you have a pop at them in the press for it either. Lage seems to have this habit of trying to deflect blame from himself by throwing others under the bus.

MikeH68

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bruno deflected things onto external factors: no strikers, injuries, players not brought in soon enough to allow time to adapt etc.

Bruno may feel he has never really gotten what he needs and some of the the players he has been given are crocks, not to mention at least two important players he inherited who are also crocked.

Neves seems to suggest the training is not prepping them for match day and the players must also take responsibility.

Bruno apologised to the fans because only 5 players came over to the fans at the end.

Three goals in eight. One win in eight. One win in fifteen PL games including last season.

Bruno was brought in because of his attacking style at Benfica and bringing through young players. Apart from his first 3 games last season our attacking play has generally been turgid, particularly in the final third, and he won’t put younger players in to help at CB.

Doesn’t seem a happy camp.

I still think the Forest game at home will be the key game.
Your last sentence, I really hope it’s now. We cannot afford to wait. Unfortunately I see nothing positive from him staying.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only just managed to calm down after last night. That was as predictable a result and performance as I can ever remember tbh. Had a poor 1 or 2 nil defeat written all over it. Lage should have gone after the City game, he looks completely out if his depth. I’d be amazed if Fosun kept the faith any longer, that is unless they really fancy another crack at the Championship? The players look they can’t be *****, we are tactically awful and can’t score goals, its quite a combination.

Lage talks a lot about finding solutions and right now investing in a one way ticket to Lisbon should absolutely be top of our list. The man’s a complete clown.

Last edited:

Himleywolf

Reaction score
I’m actually an Adama fan!!! I just don’t want to heap too much of the blame on Moutinho. But…
I'm also a big Adama fan but the trouble is Bruno doesn't want him there IMO.
If and when we get a new manager I wouldn't at all be surprised if he signed a new contract, I hope so.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why can´t we put a decent cross in?
I mean,every now and then at least.
We are the worst crossers of a football I´ve ever seen.There is more quality crosses in the National League compared to what our squad manages.
When we win a corner for example,I know we won´t be able to score from it..my main concern is that opposition will have the opportunity to counter us instead.I therefore regards a corner for us like a goal scoring opportunity for our opponents.
How crazy is that?
Why can´t anyone(bar Adama in special moments..Costa should have scored yesterday,he knows it)hit a decent cross in?
Does my head in..for example give Semedo 10 decent opportunities for hitting a decent cross.He will probably miss 10 times.
It does my head in,and it must be down to subpar training this area.It is Premier League football and we will have at least Costa in there.

Collins..one for the future and hoefully for the present when coming back.There is certainly a decent defender here,but he is prone to mistakes as we have allready seen at this stage in his career.
Nunes..an enigma for me.He was suppoosed to be this creative midfielder linking our midfield to our attacking line.
I see very little of that indeed.On the contrary,Nunes looks more and more like Keith Andrews for every time I see him play.
Looks like a player with zero confidence,mi****s passes and doesn´t seem up to playing in Prem surroundings.
Needs more time on the ball,but he won´t get that against Premier League opponents.Must up his overall quality massively.
Overall,Matheus Nunes has been a big disappointment thus far.
We need the REAL Matheus Nunes playing for us..we don´t need another Keith Andrews!

Guedes..simply doesn´t start for me.I´ve seen people saying he has been playing good.Personally I have failed to detect this thing.
Brings absolutely nothing to the table at present for me.Behind Pod and Chem Campbell for me.
Must up his quality and contribution to the squad performance massively.Looks all wrong thus far.

Overall,the table does not lie.We are a **** team at present in Prem surroundings and the squad has a long way to go before becoming truly competitive again.I fear the worst..fact is that I have seen better teams than us getting relegated.

There is no urgency,no desperation when we play.It´s like we accept going a goal down,then a second.
The whole mentality seems wrong.I is like watching a young and inexperienced Stefan Edberg(Tennis) getting behind.
The neck goes down a little bit and the spirit with it.

It simply has to change.I feel desperation creeping on...

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Enough is enough ! I've pointed out before the litany of excuses that Lage has come out with to explain poor performances. Last night he added another - 'how many matches have we lost when we've had striker on the pitch'. Quite a few, mate.
I looked at our line-up last night and could hardly believe that his solution to a team unable to score goals was to add an extra defender whilst moving his most creative midfielder into a deeper position.
Whilst I could understand the substitution of Semedo for Campbell (Adama was giving us width on the right, so lets get some on the left) to replace Nunes was ridiculous as he had given us some degree of control in midfield (even if it didn't lead to chances created).
Looking at both teams/squads I honestly believe we have better players than West Ham in almost all positions. So why are we not able to beat not only them but also the likes of Fulham and Bournemouth (bloody Bournemouth FFS !)
If he stays not only will we be relegated but the quality players in this squad (and there are a LOT) will be gone, probably in January as they will push for moves (like Boly and MGW).
It is time for Guo/Shi/Fosun to take decisive action.

Madmalc

Reaction score
Bruno says things to placate people but carries on regardless.
To hear him speak is to listen to utter nonsense.
To watch his team is to witness he's utterly clueless.
Bruno rates all his players but will never play some of them unless half of his favourites are dead. (He's slowly killing them with lack of substitutes)
Then he will field players out of position to show that his judgement of them is correct.
The apology he's given should be thought of with the above in mind.
I don't trust a word he says.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
Will save my comments on Lage for the appropriate threads.

Lets not give West Ham any credit here, they were genuinely awful, but did deserve the win.

A deflection helped with their first but Bowen finished his chance well, (though you could argue Sa shouldn’t be getting beaten at his near post, nor Bowen shouldn‘t be given the space) but other than that they barely created anything, couldn‘t keep the ball, wet themselves on the rare occasions we were direct, and looked like they could be opened up by a butter knife.

Unfortunately we were worse. Plenty has been said already what the issues are, don’t need to repeat any of that.

Trying to find some positives:

Neves yet again showed what a class player and professional he his by actually doing a decent job at CB despite the fact it was a criminal waste of his ability, he tried many times to create things, but being separated 40 yards from the front line you could see him getting frustrated.

Thought Guedes did way better than some are making out and ditch the Joao and Neto show I‘d actually like to see more of Guedes at set pieces, his corners were massively better than what we’ve been seeing and that free kick in the first half was superb and deserved someone getting on the end of it (Jonny was close).

Podence showed some bottle last night, great to see that back in him, needed more support.

RAN ran his socks off, but little outlet for the final ball.

Costa could be a real ringer for us if we can get him the service he deserves. His quality on and off the ball was immediately obvious and was always looking to create something. Hope he can build up his match fitness and if we can get an hour out of him each game he will help out season immensely.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

Glad it's not just me. All I keep reading is Jonny at CH, well he didn't play CH for me. Semedo didn't play like a WB at all, it was like the left hand side was playing with RAN as a WB, but the right side had Jonny as a FB. One effect of this was Kilman ending up defending wide, which was a bit tricky when a cross then came in against our tiny defence.

Only positives for me were that Neves is an absolute legend and Costa still knows how to lead the line.

I think we're all agreed now that Lage can't do this job, I just hope we're right that these players are plenty good enough with the right coach.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
I'm also a big Adama fan but the trouble is Bruno doesn't want him there IMO.
If and when we get a new manager I wouldn't at all be surprised if he signed a new contract, I hope so.
Traore has been offered a new contract since Nuno was here , he doesn’t want to be here. But no one else wants him either. But you only have to look at his stats .

Back
Top Bottom