Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

'We're in a relegation fight' - Lambert

Sutton

Reaction score
How can so much change in 3 weeks. Lambert's quotes seem to have gone from:

"Bar Newcastle, anyone is catchable. Top 6 is not out the question" >>> "We are in a relegation fight".
"Everyone starts with a clean slate" >>> "The new players have had their chance".
"Playing on the front foot" >>> "We need to grind out 0-0's"

I am dreading the team selection on Thursday. We seem to have waved the white flag already and think we will be lucky to get a 0-0 at the mighty QPR. I am just waiting for Lambert's pre-match interview when he bigs up QPR and says how we can only dream to be as good as them like he did for Sheff Weds.

The team selection seems blindingly obvious until Jan:

GK - Ikeme
FBs - Silvio/CBJ - both can play football, control a ball and pass to a team-mate 10 yards away
CBs - Batth/Stears - need experience in the middle. Sadly, the best we have at the min. Need two new CBs in Jan
Def mid - Saiss/Price - will be enough to provide a decent shield against most championship teams and can both find a man with the ball
Att mid - Cav/Prince/Costa - surely there is not much better attacking options than this in this league?
For - Dicko - will score given chances and a run of games

Play that team together for a run of games and we will climb the league. Sadly, I think Lambert will revert to his Villa days of dull, defensive, uncreative tactics where we always set up that way because the opposition is so much better than us. Heard it all before in his Villa days and he seems to think we are one of the worse teams in the league already after 3 weeks.

I was actually enjoying the season under Zenga despite the ups and downs...oh well....

Last edited:

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to Lambert, the new signings have already had their chance before he arrived.

Confirms my initial thought that he is getting crap advice from our backroom staff (and maybe Thelwell?) who have overseen mediocrity at Wolves for many years now. They clearly have their own agenda in keeping guys they're familiar and comfortable with in a job at Wolves. Mediocrity breeds more mediocrity.

The stats speak for themselves of course. Lambert is toast if he continues to follow the advice of those around him, they will see him lose their job one way or another, as they did with Zenga.

Attachments

• IMG_20161128_223538.jpg
    IMG_20161128_223538.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 19

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't believe what I've been reading. You have a new manager coming in and he just publicly disses half the squad because they're not British. Is this really happening ? Where the **** is our club heading?
It's heading to a place where our backroom staff and Thelwell will be comfortable with it.

FOSUN have to move quickly and bring in their own people to run the club once this season is done. Let's just hope we can stay up in the meantime.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

"Bar Newcastle, anyone is catchable. Top 6 is not out the question" >>> "We are in a relegation fight".
"Everyone starts with a clean slate" >>> "The new players have had their chance".

I am dreading the team selection on Thursday. We seem to have waved the white flag already and think we will be lucky to get a 0-0 at the mighty QPR. I am just waiting for Lambert's pre-match interview when he bigs up QPR and says how we can only dream to be as good as them like he did for Sheff Weds.

GK - Ikeme
FBs - Silvio/CBJ - both can play football, control a ball and pass to a team-mate 10 yards away
CBs - Batth/Stears - need experience in the middle. Sadly, the best we have at the min. Need two new CBs in Jan
Def mid - Saiss/Price - will be enough to provide a decent shield against most championship teams and can both find a man with the ball
Att mid - Cav/Prince/Costa - surely there is not much better attacking options than this in this league?

Play that team together for a run of games and we will climb the league. Sadly, I think Lambert will revert to his Villa days of dull, defensive, uncreative tactics where we always set up that way because the opposition is so much better than us. Heard it all before in his Villa days and he seems to think we are one of the worse teams in the league already after 3 weeks.

I was actually enjoying the season under Zenga despite the ups and downs...oh well....

Yes, I think that is what concerns many of us. PL has so quickly and easily waved that white flag and in so doing has spread his defeatism around the camp. None of your 'Cry God, for Harry England and St George' with PL. Not that he would anyway cos he's a Scot! :eek:

Last edited:

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's amazing init? The bloke is making Jackett look like a ****ing genius!

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've resigned myself to relegation. We badly need a complete overhaul on and off the pitch. I just don't see Lambert as the man to improve the team, and I don't see the inept Thelwell as the man to reinvent this football club.

Fosun need to go back to the beginning and start again by headhunting some people who know what they are doing. Start with Nicola Cortese please Jeff.

M

Mr Wolf

We still haven't got a set team, formation & playing style it's just that simple. We haven't since Sako left. I refuse to believe that these new players aren't capable of winning the odd game.

Be organised, solid, work hard & get the ball to your better players who can make things happen.

Watching those failed players time after time playing the same failed way means I have very little patience right now.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hard to

GK - Ikeme

hard to disagree with any of that

we will see on Thu but I'm starting to have my doubts.

Rather have an exciting attacking line up, that shut up shop and go for a 0-0

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We still haven't got a set team, formation & playing style it's just that simple. We haven't since Sako left. I refuse to believe that these new players aren't capable of winning the odd game.

Be organised, solid, work hard & get the ball to your better players who can make things happen.

Watching those failed players time after time playing the same failed way means I have very little patience right now.

I sadly agree with you about the patience part, i'm usually quite tolerant with new managers even if i dont like them, but Lambert has really ticked me off, especially with his " they have had their chance " comment about the new blokes, which is just ludicrous when he hasn't applied that same logic to a core of players that have had more chances than the new boys. He says one thing, then seems to do the opposite. Hopefully i'm wrong, but all i see is him taking us down, i honestly dont think he is the right man for the job, and i dont think any of the others we interviewed are either. I wish we would think bigger and better.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hard to

hard to disagree with any of that

we will see on Thu but I'm starting to have my doubts.

Rather have an exciting attacking line up, that shut up shop and go for a 0-0

With Wigan winning last night it leaves 3 teams on 18pts including us and two others on 19pts. The only thing that can get us out of the situation is wins but I'm expecting another 0-0.

Trouble is, Lambert has now told everyone that we are fighting relegation. Such a dumb thing to say after only being here for two matches.

F

FLEET WOLF

Spot on. I agree that we have enough decent players to get a few wins.

F

FLEET WOLF

With Wigan winning last night it leaves 3 teams on 18pts including us and two others on 19pts. The only thing that can get us out of the situation is wins but I'm expecting another 0-0.

Trouble is, Lambert has now told everyone that we are fighting relegation. Such a dumb thing to say after only being here for two matches.
In his defence (rather than ours!), perhaps he is trying to wake up our players a bit and get them to pull their bloody fingers out!?

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What you need to strive for is consistency. When you have a bunch of players new to the league as well as a manager, you have to accept that consistency will more than likely take time to achieve. They showed the level of performance they can reach against Newcastle and Villa, surely, if you get that level seven times out of ten you're going to have a very good season. What we've seemed to do however, is focus on the lows rather than the highs, as you sum up yourself by saying those performances were the exception and not the rule. Well you know what? You try to make those performances the rule and the abject ones the exception.

A manager should be attempting to get the most out of what he has at his disposal, and Lambert has already set out to get the bare minimum with the same players who haven't been up to it for years (you could call them consistent in their own special way). He's taken two games to make me fully believe he's not the man to take us forward.

Problem was we werent getting it 7 times out of ten, we've won 4 games. At best we're getting 1 out of every 4.5 games. Now that may be simplistic but so was your statement about making them the rule not the exception, its much easier to say than do and i don't doubt they've been trying, but we have to be realistic.

Until Lamberts appointment we had kept 2 clean sheets all season, we had conceded something like 9 goals in the opening 15 minutes of matches (without scoring in the first 20 mins at all ourselves) and we've been behind at half time in about half of our games. That is unsustainable over the course of a season, whether we like it or not and as much as we want to see attacking play, if we had continued as was we would have been relegated, we had lost 7 of the last 11 matches when Zenga was sacked, those are the bare faced facts people are either forgetting or ignoring in this frankly insane treatment of Lambert after only two games where he delivered a clean sheet and a point away from home at a team who have only lost once in 10 games, yes it wasn't very good against Sheff Wed, yes it needs to be far better, but the answer is not to throw in a load of forwards, for the time being we have to be harder to beat.

We have to build a foundation for the more creative players to flourish. At no point has Lambert or anyone said they want to get goalless draws from all the games and the people who are insinuating that are being foolish. Much like last Christmas when Kenny went 4-1-4-1 after the shambles ironically away at Sheff Wed, it wasn't pretty but they won 4 on the bounce and grew in confidence, had Zyro not pulled his hamstring after 3 in his first 2 games we might have been able to have a push but as it was he got injured, as did Graham and Edwards and we reverted to damage limitation again because Kenny knew he didn't have the weapons.

Lambert does have the weapons, but he needs the solid base first, for goodness sake let him do what needs to be done, if we're still like this after christmas then theres a problem, but give him time.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He sets up to be hard to beat though, and we were still very easy to beat sadly. It's not difficult to be solid and still play with an attacking front 4

F

FLEET WOLF

Problem was we werent getting it 7 times out of ten, we've won 4 games. At best we're getting 1 out of every 4.5 games. Now that may be simplistic but so was your statement about making them the rule not the exception, its much easier to say than do and i don't doubt they've been trying, but we have to be realistic.

Until Lamberts appointment we had kept 2 clean sheets all season, we had conceded something like 9 goals in the opening 15 minutes of matches (without scoring in the first 20 mins at all ourselves) and we've been behind at half time in about half of our games. That is unsustainable over the course of a season, whether we like it or not and as much as we want to see attacking play, if we had continued as was we would have been relegated, we had lost 7 of the last 11 matches when Zenga was sacked, those are the bare faced facts people are either forgetting or ignoring in this frankly insane treatment of Lambert after only two games where he delivered a clean sheet and a point away from home at a team who have only lost once in 10 games, yes it wasn't very good against Sheff Wed, yes it needs to be far better, but the answer is not to throw in a load of forwards, for the time being we have to be harder to beat.

We have to build a foundation for the more creative players to flourish. At no point has Lambert or anyone said they want to get goalless draws from all the games and the people who are insinuating that are being foolish. Much like last Christmas when Kenny went 4-1-4-1 after the shambles ironically away at Sheff Wed, it wasn't pretty but they won 4 on the bounce and grew in confidence, had Zyro not pulled his hamstring after 3 in his first 2 games we might have been able to have a push but as it was he got injured, as did Graham and Edwards and we reverted to damage limitation again because Kenny knew he didn't have the weapons.

Lambert does have the weapons, but he needs the solid base first, for goodness sake let him do what needs to be done, if we're still like this after christmas then theres a problem, but give him time.
Well said really. If we can stay hard to beat for a few games (picking up points and avoiding defeats), then perhaps we can move on to a more attacking game. I think Lambert and the team can do that and we have to stick by him and support him-the fact that the football might be dire, is, frankly, neither here nor there. QPR have their own problems as well, so a 0-0 looks on the cards (and I will take that now!).

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

So since Zenga had the sack we've scored 3 goals and conceded 6. Paul Lambert's team haven't scored a goal and conceded 2 so the same ratio. Can you explain to me how we are setting up to be difficult to beat?

If you think setting up this team to be difficult to beat will allow a platform to work with, you are deluded. If you think that we will not concede goals with this defence, you are delude, in short you are off your tits deluded if you think that Jackett's old guard can provide any sort of base to work from.

Paul Lambert has had an abysmal start to his managerial career here at Wolves and he is already under pressure because of the things HE is doing and saying.

JuliusCaesar

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sadly football doesn't work in the way that some people want it to. The idea that you grind out a few 0-0s then push on to a more attacking game. It just doesn't happen like that. The opposition is the problem, they won't play ball and let you grind out a 0-0 just because you want to and, equally, when you've decided today is the day we attack, the opposition will have their own view on that too.

In the simplest terms, if you have players who can keep the ball better then your defence has less to do. Whether that's players who can run with it or pass it and pass it back. My big problem against Sheff Wed was the very obvious 'tactic' of lumping it. I ended up counting how quickly, from a lump up field from the keeper' or a defender it took for Wednesday to have the ball back and start building an attack. On average, it was four seconds. In that line up, where were the goals supposed to come from? I'll bet their manager couldn't believe his luck when he saw that team and he'd have been even happier when he saw the extent of the tactics. This is why a player like Costa is so important. If he's running at their defenders it means their attackers are not running at yours.

Even in the second half, for all the tempo step up, their keeper' never had a significant save to make.

I believe if you play well you should get to keep your place. Nothing, absolutely nothing, will demotivate a player more than having a good game and then being dropped. Cavaleiro has had, at best, cameos, but can anyone honestly say that against Derby he wasn't the only Wolves player to actually play well? Dropped. Replaced by a non winger.

Front three next game Lambo. Cavaleiro, Costa, Dicko. Try it. You might like it.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly football doesn't work in the way that some people want it to. The idea that you grind out a few 0-0s then push on to a more attacking game. It just doesn't happen like that. The opposition is the problem, they won't play ball and let you grind out a 0-0 just because you want to and, equally, when you've decided today is the day we attack, the opposition will have their own view on that too.

In the simplest terms, if you have players who can keep the ball better then your defence has less to do. Whether that's players who can run with it or pass it and pass it back. My big problem against Sheff Wed was the very obvious 'tactic' of lumping it. I ended up counting how quickly, from a lump up field from the keeper' or a defender it took for Wednesday to have the ball back and start building an attack. On average, it was four seconds. In that line up, where were the goals supposed to come from? I'll bet their manager couldn't believe his luck when he saw that team and he'd have been even happier when he saw the extent of the tactics. This is why a player like Costa is so important. If he's running at their defenders it means their attackers are not running at yours.

Even in the second half, for all the tempo step up, their keeper' never had a significant save to make.

I believe if you play well you should get to keep your place. Nothing, absolutely nothing, will demotivate a player more than having a good game and then being dropped. Cavaleiro has had, at best, cameos, but can anyone honestly say that against Derby he wasn't the only Wolves player to actually play well? Dropped. Replaced by a non winger.

Front three next game Lambo. Cavaleiro, Costa, Dicko. Try it. You might like it.

You're posts on this subject have been superb and spot on.

D

Deleted member 3751

And as I said, consistency, with new players, is something that can take a long time to achieve. The new lot bar Costa and Bod have probably started half a dozen games each, and Lambert ostracised a large group of them before he'd even stood on our touchline! So I can pretty confidently say no, they're not trying to hit the heights of performance that they did against Newcastle and Villa on a regular basis because they're leaving key players from those games out.

Despite the awful performance on Saturday (you need to see it again if you just think it was "not very good") the thing that has done it for me is Lambert singling out the new signings as not having done enough and then peddling out the same players that have never done enough... ever. On Saturday, the result may well have been the same had it been under Zenga, but we'd have had a much better go at it.

I expect to see the same turgid line up out on Thursday but with Batth returning. I don't expect him to play our best defensive midfielder, Saiss, again (just the kind of person you'd want to build a stable base around, ironically enough), and I expect a performance that indicates from the off that we're happy with a 0-0, and if that's the case, we'll probably lose again.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And as I said, consistency, with new players, is something that can take a long time to achieve. The new lot bar Costa and Bod have probably started half a dozen games each, and Lambert ostracised a large group of them before he'd even stood on our touchline! So I can pretty confidently say no, they're not trying to hit the heights of performance that they did against Newcastle and Villa on a regular basis because they're leaving key players from those games out.

Despite the awful performance on Saturday (you need to see it again if you just think it was "not very good") the thing that has done it for me is Lambert singling out the new signings as not having done enough and then peddling out the same players that have never done enough... ever. On Saturday, the result may well have been the same had it been under Zenga, but we'd have had a much better go at it.

I expect to see the same turgid line up out on Thursday but with Batth returning. I don't expect him to play our best defensive midfielder, Saiss, again (just the kind of person you'd want to build a stable base around, ironically enough), and I expect a performance that indicates from the off that we're happy with a 0-0, and if that's the case, we'll probably lose again.

He didn't ostracise anyone, this is crazy, read the whole quote, he was talking about cav and tex, who have been involved in 13 and 15 league games each, check out this page https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/161 for stats including minutes played and see where they are, especially compared to some of the old guard. And in any regard, Lambert has only been here for 2 games, so whats the excuse for not reaching the levels of Newcastle and Villa in the other games? Lamberts point was that a lot of the new players have played a lot of the games recently (Saiss 8, Prince 10) and that he wanted to look at some of the others who hadnt featured as much this year (Saville 7 before Lambert arrived, Price 4) considering the stats i gave you before about the amount of games we'd lost and our performance in them i'm amazed people are so angry/surprised that he wanted to try something different. Zernga's way was pretty fun but it wasn't working

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Great post Julius!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's his way of saying "I'm playing the same XI on Thursday"

I have this horrible feeling the only changes will be Batth and Ikeme coming back in. We will be stuck with that God awful midfield that would struggle to impose itself against Newport!

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Worrying that when asked at the end about what's needed to get up the table he talks about effort and commitment (surely that's a given?) but implies we lack quality. We can all see that but the few quality players he has (all forward players) need to be played and pray the defence can get back to something like they used to be, both collectively and individually.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just cant help but not be convinced by him. I know its only been two games but I am not impressed by most of what he is saying and has been saying. I hope he proves me wrong, starting on Thursday.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He hasn't divided anyone along any such lines. This is the rest of the quote everyone is getting so worked up about.

“I’m trying to see everybody as best I can. The Championship is unforgiving. Costa's come in and done well. He's only young. Tex and Cavaleiro have come in. There are young lads there but you’ve got to grasp the league really quickly otherwise you find yourself in this position. Everybody’s in it together. There's no split or anything like that. You have to be ready for what's coming."

He was specifically talking about Tex and Cav and gave his reasons for it. Nowhere has he said he's picking Coady over Saiss or Iorfa over Silvio because they're British.

Why pick on Tex and Cav though? Saville, Doherty, Batth, Iorfa and Wallace have also had chances and performed equally poorly.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why pick on Tex and Cav though? Saville, Doherty, Batth, Iorfa and Wallace have also had chances and performed equally poorly.

In some cases Wallace has been far worse than either Cav or Tex. At least they have shown some quality what the hell has Wallace shown? Same can be said for Saville.

B

Benson

He didn't ostracise anyone, this is crazy, read the whole quote, he was talking about cav and tex, who have been involved in 13 and 15 league games each, check out this page https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/161 for stats including minutes played and see where they are, especially compared to some of the old guard. And in any regard, Lambert has only been here for 2 games, so whats the excuse for not reaching the levels of Newcastle and Villa in the other games? Lamberts point was that a lot of the new players have played a lot of the games recently (Saiss 8, Prince 10) and that he wanted to look at some of the others who hadnt featured as much this year (Saville 7 before Lambert arrived, Price 4) considering the stats i gave you before about the amount of games we'd lost and our performance in them i'm amazed people are so angry/surprised that he wanted to try something different. Zernga's way was pretty fun but it wasn't working

Some stat about Cavaleiro to add. Might be interesting.
Games started: 4. 0-1-3, 1p. (but to be fair he was substituted at 1-0 v Burton).
Games as sub: 9. 2-3-4, 9p.
Games when not played at all: 5. 2-2-1. 8p.
Goals when on the pitch (518 minutes): 7-10.
Goals when not on the pitch (1102 minutes): 12-13.

Not enough data to make conclusions but as it looks we defend better without him and create more with him. I some ways typical stats of a super sub, but not a starter. I think he will be great for us later on, but where we are now not a starter for important games in a negative trend.
Safety first, Cava on the bench, Nothing incorrect in that Lambert decision, in my opinion.

edit:
Saville stat before Saturday:
Goals when on the pitch (460 min), 6-5
Games started: 1-2-1
Games as sub: 1-1-2
Games when not played: 2-3-4
(not much better than Cava, but maybe explains why he was picked before Cava Saturday - safety first)

Last edited by a moderator:

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In some cases Wallace has been far worse than either Cav or Tex. At least they have shown some quality what the hell has Wallace shown? Same can be said for Saville.

Wallace isn't playing? He's made 4 fewer league apps than cav and 6 fewer than tex, tex has had more than double the amount of minutes on the pitch as him too. No one is suggesting Wallace play ahead of them so not sure what the point is here

B

Benson

Cava, Tex and Costa playing together: appx 300 minutes. Goals: 3-9.
2 of them playing together: appx 450 minutes. Goals 8-4
1 of them or less: appx 870 minutes: Goals. 8-10

Play them all = bad choice
Play two of them = success both attacking and defending
Play one of them or less = average/no good

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wallace isn't playing? He's made 4 fewer league apps than cav and 6 fewer than tex, tex has had more than double the amount of minutes on the pitch as him too. No one is suggesting Wallace play ahead of them so not sure what the point is here

The point is he was brought on as sub at PNE which amazed most seeing as how dreadful he was against Blackburn. To be fair to Lambert at least he dropped him for the game at the weekend.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The point is he was brought on as sub at PNE which amazed most seeing as how dreadful he was against Blackburn. To be fair to Lambert at least he dropped him for the game at the weekend.

So thats a positive for lambert right?

Back
Top Bottom