Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

'We're in a relegation fight' - Lambert

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stunning negativity coming out from Lambert. Totally unimpressed.

So at the end of the season he can say he's done well if the club finishes 15th? Would Jackett have been able to get away with that sort of talk when he had far less talent at his disposal? Did Zenga get fired because the club was bottom 3 or because it looked more like he didn't have what it takes to land top 6.

Moyes did this at Sunderland, at least he had the excuse that they really are a poor squad, but even then it was a terrible message to send out and gives players 'permission' to achieve only the bare minimum.

Well, if these foreign lads have 'had their chance' the British lads had theirs too. Plenty of it, last season. How did that go again?

If Paul Lambert sat in two interviews with Shi and Thellwell and said 'well boys, I'm your man. I think I can keep you in the Championship this season provided we bin off the show ponies from Benfica and get back to some graft' then I'd be mighty surprised.

Call it as I see it and I've seen this sort of thing before. There is a division in the camp and I said right when Zenga was fired that this would be a sign as to whether the old (UK) guard or new era would win out. It looks like the old guard won and, if we're lucky, they might just about be good enough to stave off relegation.

I backed his appointment in the battle of who's the least worst manager Wolves can appoint from that shambolic shortlist they arrived at (coincidentally, all - at the time - out of work British managers) and I still think/thought he would have been the right fit for the job, which is to get Wolves in or very near the top 6. So this isn't about giving Lambert 'a chance'. This is about commenting on the specific things he saying and doing. So far, two horrible line ups, one point, no goals and some very unimpressive talk singling out the new players and bringing expectation levels to such a low that mere survival would be considered 'success'. Talk about changing the narrative. Front foot football eh? OK. Let's see it then. And here's a tip. The last two managers who picked teams filled with the players who've been here a while, you know, the ones who 'know the league' and understand the division? Well they both got fired.

Great post!

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought the job description of a manager was to manage? This means getting the best out of the players available. It is ludicrous to divide them into British and foreign. They have one thing in common - the play for Wolves and the manager’s job is to pick the best team to win games. Any manager dividing players in any way other than ability and how they play together is doomed to fail.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought the job description of a manager was to manage? This means getting the best out of the players available. It is ludicrous to divide them into British and foreign. They have one thing in common - the play for Wolves and the manager’s job is to pick the best team to win games. Any manager dividing players in any way other than ability and how they play together is doomed to fail.

He hasn't divided anyone along any such lines. This is the rest of the quote everyone is getting so worked up about.

“I’m trying to see everybody as best I can. The Championship is unforgiving. Costa's come in and done well. He's only young. Tex and Cavaleiro have come in. There are young lads there but you’ve got to grasp the league really quickly otherwise you find yourself in this position. Everybody’s in it together. There's no split or anything like that. You have to be ready for what's coming."

He was specifically talking about Tex and Cav and gave his reasons for it. Nowhere has he said he's picking Coady over Saiss or Iorfa over Silvio because they're British.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

So at the end of the season he can say he's done well if the club finishes 15th? Would Jackett have been able to get away with that sort of talk when he had far less talent at his disposal? Did Zenga get fired because the club was bottom 3 or because it looked more like he didn't have what it takes to land top 6.

Moyes did this at Sunderland, at least he had the excuse that they really are a poor squad, but even then it was a terrible message to send out and gives players 'permission' to achieve only the bare minimum.

Well, if these foreign lads have 'had their chance' the British lads had theirs too. Plenty of it, last season. How did that go again?

If Paul Lambert sat in two interviews with Shi and Thellwell and said 'well boys, I'm your man. I think I can keep you in the Championship this season provided we bin off the show ponies from Benfica and get back to some graft' then I'd be mighty surprised.

Call it as I see it and I've seen this sort of thing before. There is a division in the camp and I said right when Zenga was fired that this would be a sign as to whether the old (UK) guard or new era would win out. It looks like the old guard won and, if we're lucky, they might just about be good enough to stave off relegation.

I backed his appointment in the battle of who's the least worst manager Wolves can appoint from that shambolic shortlist they arrived at (coincidentally, all - at the time - out of work British managers) and I still think/thought he would have been the right fit for the job, which is to get Wolves in or very near the top 6. So this isn't about giving Lambert 'a chance'. This is about commenting on the specific things he saying and doing. So far, two horrible line ups, one point, no goals and some very unimpressive talk singling out the new players and bringing expectation levels to such a low that mere survival would be considered 'success'. Talk about changing the narrative. Front foot football eh? OK. Let's see it then. And here's a tip. The last two managers who picked teams filled with the players who've been here a while, you know, the ones who 'know the league' and understand the division? Well they both got fired.

I couldn't agree more with everything you've just said. And judging by the reaction to Spiers' E&S report on Twitter, I think people are beginning to see the wood for the trees.

The whole damn club machine needs to stop insulting the fans intelligence. We can see what's going on. How does a bunch of talented foreign recruits that played runaway leaders Newcastle and a resurgent Aston Villa off the park away from home go from that to being public enemies number 1? And as many people have now picked up, there appear to be several both stale and malign influences on the staff and in the dressing room – feathering their own nests instead of embracing change. Case in point, did you read that Mirror article on Zenga's sacking? Apparently there had been murmurs of discontent from the backroom team of Jackett's – and that of Saunders/Solbakken and McCarthy's for that matter, just to further my point!

Grim days ahead indeed. I predicted exactly what would happen as has been reported this morning. Flair players would be scapegoated and the badly needed changes to the playing personnel and the structures of the club (such as the recruitment of Andrea Butti to the board) would be halted. I know the Chinese proverb of a journey of a thousand miles beginning with a single step, but our Long March is now proceeding in the opposite direction.

The nature of the second division has changed massively since we went up and out of it. I could probably count every team that has been promoted since as one that has had millions of pounds thrown at it on talented, technical recruits. Look at Watford, Middlesbrough etc in recent years. And by the same token, looks at the clubs and managers employing dinosaur tactics and see how they're getting on: McCarthy at Ipswich, Jackett at Wolves. It is not rocket science to me. Then again, I'm only a paying supporter who watches them every home game, what do I know?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Totally agree.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more with everything you've just said. And judging by the reaction to Spiers' E&S report on Twitter, I think people are beginning to see the wood for the trees.

The whole damn club machine needs to stop insulting the fans intelligence. We can see what's going on. How does a bunch of talented foreign recruits that played runaway leaders Newcastle and a resurgent Aston Villa off the park away from home go from that to being public enemies number 1? And as many people have now picked up, there appear to be several both stale and malign influences on the staff and in the dressing room – feathering their own nests instead of embracing change. Case in point, did you read that Mirror article on Zenga's sacking? Apparently there had been murmurs of discontent from the backroom team of Jackett's – and that of Saunders/Solbakken and McCarthy's for that matter, just to further my point!

Grim days ahead indeed. I predicted exactly what would happen as has been reported this morning. Flair players would be scapegoated and the badly needed changes to the playing personnel and the structures of the club (such as the recruitment of Andrea Butti to the board) would be halted. I know the Chinese proverb of a journey of a thousand miles beginning with a single step, but our Long March is now proceeding in the opposite direction.

The nature of the second division has changed massively since we went up and out of it. I could probably count every team that has been promoted since as one that has had millions of pounds thrown at it on talented, technical recruits. Look at Watford, Middlesbrough etc in recent years. And by the same token, looks at the clubs and managers employing dinosaur tactics and see how they're getting on: McCarthy at Ipswich, Jackett at Wolves. It is not rocket science to me. Then again, I'm only a paying supporter who watches them every home game, what do I know?

Because those performances at Newcastle and Villa were the exception not the rule, the same group lost at home to Barnsley, drew with Burton, lost at Wigan, to Leeds too. Are they all bad? no, but we can't pick and choose the best games and treat that as the level.

You've decided the backroom staff wouldnt embrace change because the Mirror says so? They've hardly got a track record for access in our dressing room. It's not true, Rob Edwards had a much more prominent role under Zenga than he ever did under Jackett, why would he want him gone knowing a new head coach might demote him again?

Butti was never going to be on the board, his role was simply not necessary unless we had a foreign coach.

You say Watford and Middlesbrough, i say Leicester and Burnley, because the truth is there is no set rule to winning promotion, if there was it would be easy. Both Pearson and Dyche played 4-4-2 old school tactics with willing runners in midfield, big ugly defenders and the key thing, an out and out goalscorer. For all Watford played with the managers and players, Troy Deeney was arguably the largest part of them winning promotion. Southampton got up through a talented group of youngsters, Swansea through a set pattern of play, Bournemouth too. The point is it isnt always about one style of player or how much money, or one style of management over another. It takes the right combination and currently we don't have it

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's coming out with such negative crap that he could be charged with impersonating Dean Saunders.

The toxicity around the club is really starting to feel like the Championship relegation season of a few years back.

D

Deleted member 4023

Burnley have something we haven't (apart from Sean Dyche) - A team that plays with its heart & gives everything against the big boys

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's coming out with such negative crap that he could be charged with impersonating Dean Saunders.

The toxicity around the club is really starting to feel like the Championship relegation season of a few years back.

Totally agree.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Good post and I completely agree. Lambert is already treading on thin ice and another negative line up vs QPR with accompanying poor result is going to hot things up even more among fans who are coming to the end of their tether in terms of negative tactics and mindset when we are in absolute **** at the bottom of the table. It feels like we are already going back to the end of the Jackett and McCarthy eras all over again with managers gradually losing the plot. Another six matches like this and Fosun will have to have another look at whether Lambert is the right man for the job. Can things get any worse?!

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because those performances at Newcastle and Villa were the exception not the rule, the same group lost at home to Barnsley, drew with Burton, lost at Wigan, to Leeds too. Are they all bad? no, but we can't pick and choose the best games and treat that as the level.

You've decided the backroom staff wouldnt embrace change because the Mirror says so? They've hardly got a track record for access in our dressing room. It's not true, Rob Edwards had a much more prominent role under Zenga than he ever did under Jackett, why would he want him gone knowing a new head coach might demote him again?

Butti was never going to be on the board, his role was simply not necessary unless we had a foreign coach.

You say Watford and Middlesbrough, i say Leicester and Burnley, because the truth is there is no set rule to winning promotion, if there was it would be easy. Both Pearson and Dyche played 4-4-2 old school tactics with willing runners in midfield, big ugly defenders and the key thing, an out and out goalscorer. For all Watford played with the managers and players, Troy Deeney was arguably the largest part of them winning promotion. Southampton got up through a talented group of youngsters, Swansea through a set pattern of play, Bournemouth too. The point is it isnt always about one style of player or how much money, or one style of management over another. It takes the right combination and currently we don't have it

The point could be made that in those poorer games, it was the old guard mainly responsible for such performances. I'm not saying it was, but if the extreme reverse point can be made by Lambert et al that it is the foreign lads to pinpoint for such games, why cant we also blame the tried and tested bunch who have hardly shone in the games we have played well in.

Is Silvio really no better than Doherty? Is Saiss really no better than Coady or Price? Is Cavaleiro really no better than Saville? The difference is, one of two poor games for the latter results in immediate reaction, where as the former have been underperforming on a virtual weekly basis for years. Some of the new lads have barely played 10 games, some 5. For Lambert to come out and say such things like today is absurd, and you really do have to question where such a mentality is being fed from.

In general though, you make some good points about the promotion formula required. And the lack of so many of such necessities we have is quite depressing.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I backed his appointment in the battle of who's the least worst manager Wolves can appoint from that shambolic shortlist they arrived at (coincidentally, all - at the time - out of work British managers) and I still think/thought he would have been the right fit for the job, which is to get Wolves in or very near the top 6. So this isn't about giving Lambert 'a chance'. This is about commenting on the specific things he saying and doing. So far, two horrible line ups, one point, no goals and some very unimpressive talk singling out the new players and bringing expectation levels to such a low that mere survival would be considered 'success'. Talk about changing the narrative. Front foot football eh? OK. Let's see it then. And here's a tip. The last two managers who picked teams filled with the players who've
been here a while, you know, the ones who 'know the league' and understand the division? Well they both got fired.

Absolutely spot on.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
When asked if those new players, many of whom are out of the team, would be given a chance to impress soon, Lambert said: “They’ve had their chance. They played a lot of games before I came in."

Really Paul?

Jesus, I'm normally fighting the negativity on here but if he said that I am worried. Iorfa, Doherty, Coady, Batth et al have played a lot of games before he came in and are a lot more responsible for where we are than the new players.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jesus, I'm normally fighting the negativity on here but if he said that I am worried. Iorfa, Doherty, Coady, Batth et al have played a lot of games before he came in and are a lot more responsible for where we are than the new players.

Spot on!

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The point could be made that in those poorer games, it was the old guard mainly responsible for such performances. I'm not saying it was, but if the extreme reverse point can be made by Lambert et al that it is the foreign lads to pinpoint for such games, why cant we also blame the tried and tested bunch who have hardly shone in the games we have played well in.

Is Silvio really no better than Doherty? Is Saiss really no better than Coady or Price? Is Cavaleiro really no better than Saville? The difference is, one of two poor games for the latter results in immediate reaction, where as the former have been underperforming on a virtual weekly basis for years. Some of the new lads have barely played 10 games, some 5. For Lambert to come out and say such things like today is absurd, and you really do have to question where such a mentality is being fed from.

In general though, you make some good points about the promotion formula required. And the lack of so many of such necessities we have is quite depressing.

Oh i'm not saying the old guard haven't played badly, but for example Coady and Price didn't play in the defeat at Wigan and Saville was only a 65th minute sub. It's simply not true that they keep their places longer than the new players. Take the EFL cup out and Saville didn't feature from the 27th August (Huddersfield) to the 27th Sept (Wigan) and then again to the 5th November (Derby). Preston was his first league start since August and only his 4th appearance in any competition since that time.

Price coming in at Preston hadn't featured since the defeat to Barnsley on the 13th September.

Here's the list of appearances made by our squad so far in the league

18 - Matt Doherty
17 - Danny Batth
16 - Conor Coady, JDB, Dave Edwards, Helder Costa
15 - Joao Teixeira, Dominic Iorfa, Carl Ikeme
13 - Ivan Cavaleiro
11 - Joe Mason
10 - Prince Oniangue
9 - Kortney Hause, Jed Wallace, George Saville
8 - Romain Saiss
7 - Nouha Dicko
6 - Jack Price, CBJ
4 - Andy Lonergan, Lee Evans
3 - Richard Stearman
2 - Silvio, Ola John, Paul Gladon

D

Deleted member 3518

Welcome to the dark side, next thing you know you'll be in the Stile reffing an argument between Reans and Brightside!:D

For the record think @JuliusCaesar has articulated my opinion far better than I could ever dream of.

T

The Wolf of Willenhall

He hasn't divided anyone along any such lines. This is the rest of the quote everyone is getting so worked up about.

“I’m trying to see everybody as best I can. The Championship is unforgiving. Costa's come in and done well. He's only young. Tex and Cavaleiro have come in. There are young lads there but you’ve got to grasp the league really quickly otherwise you find yourself in this position. Everybody’s in it together. There's no split or anything like that. You have to be ready for what's coming."

He was specifically talking about Tex and Cav and gave his reasons for it. Nowhere has he said he's picking Coady over Saiss or Iorfa over Silvio because they're British.
Yes but that won't suit the agendas on here that have already made up their mind about Lambert. He's been here three weeks. The impatience and ignorance people are showing is staggering even for Wolves.

Floyd Man

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes but that won't suit the agendas on here that have already made up their mind about Lambert. He's been here three weeks. The impatience and ignorance people are showing is staggering even for Wolves.
Lambert hasn't exactly helped himself with some of the tosh he's been spouting. He started well - meeting with fans and talking in the press about playing on the front foot, but this last week he's ruined all that. He desperately needs a result on Thursday and he's put himself in that position. We'll see what he's made of.

D

Deleted member 4594

Welcome to the dark side, next thing you know you'll be in the Stile reffing an argument between Reans and Brightside!:D

For the record think @JuliusCaesar has articulated my opinion far better than I could ever dream of.
Myself and Reans don't argue, we have heated debates... :D

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

Thanks. My only solace is that I generally like managers when they start but I'm usually wrong so maybe the reverse will be true. I never liked Hoddle and Connor was just hapless, but I bought into Solbakken and Zenga and even Saunders fooled me for a game or two. Please God may my judgement be wrong again because if Lambert wants to play late Jackett era football while having far better options than Kenny ever had available to him I will have no pity for him.

I would have thought reffing an argument between reans and Brightside would be easy - stop it straight away to prevent Brightside from taking too much punishment :D

D

Deleted member 3518

So is the "impatience and ignorance" exclusively attributed to those posters who've expressed concerns about his team selections or more pertinently his public utterances, particularly today, perhaps you'd like to elucidate why any poster having concerns is judged as being "staggering even for Wolves"? As those who know me will confirm I'm Wolves through and through and would love nothing more than for Lambert to succeed , can you provide me with nothing more than blind faith to support him?

D

Deleted member 3518

Thanks. My only solace is that I generally like managers when they start but I'm usually wrong so maybe the reverse will be true. I never liked Hoddle and Connor was just hapless, but I bought into Solbakken and Zenga and even Saunders fooled me for a game or two. Please God may my judgement be wrong again because if Lambert wants to play late Jackett era football while having far better options than Kenny ever had available to him I will have no pity for him.

I would have thought reffing an argument between reans and Brightside would be easy - stop it straight away to prevent Brightside from taking too much punishment :D

We have Shorey on the sidelines to deal out "real" punishment.:D

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm almost certain we'd go down if we get rid of Lambert so soon.
Watching Wigan at uddersfield they play very neat football.
It takes time to get our bunch playing. Rome wasn't built in a day etc etc.

D

Deleted member 4594

How dare you :mad:
:D:D:D

M

Monkey Man

And some folks thought the playoffs were achievable under PL.

I can't imagine Fosun will be happy with just survival, although he did exactly the same thing Blackburn.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wigan played neat stuff when they beat us but didn't really have any cutting edge or quality, probably the reason that they sacked Caldwell.

S

ShropshireLad

Mate, I can't even begin to contemplate that FOSUN would get rid of Lambert so soon. If that happened no manager on Earth worth the wages would bother applying to us.

T

The Wolf of Willenhall

So is the "impatience and ignorance" exclusively attributed to those posters who've expressed concerns about his team selections or more pertinently his public utterances, particularly today, perhaps you'd like to elucidate why any poster having concerns is judged as being "staggering even for Wolves"? As those who know me will confirm I'm Wolves through and through and would love nothing more than for Lambert to succeed , can you provide me with nothing more than blind faith to support him?
Having concerns is one thing. Truncating what he said, i.e his public utterances today, to suit an agenda is exactly that, an agenda. Calling for him to be sacked after two games is impatient. Saying that the British players are **** and the reason we are where we are is ignorant and just not true. I'm also wolves through and through and they are the only thing I blindly follow anywhere. My faith in Lambert comes from his previous record in this league, keeping up a ****e Villa side and stopping a Blackburn team from turning up their toes. I think that slating a manager, and there are plenty doing this already, that has been here three weeks and quite clearly has a mammoth task ahead is staggering and embarassing and we have a habit of doing it.When we are in the ascendency our fans are some of the best snywhere and our away support is magnificent wherever we go but also I see no fans turn on a side as quickly as we do when we concede, or boo their own captain when he misplaces a pass or comes out at half time to present a football (yes he was booed on Saturday). Like you I desperately want us to succeed but Lambert needs time and transfer windows before he can be judged effectively. Just because he didn't pick the player we want or expect in a certain position doesn't mean he is wrong, and I'd rather put my trust in the plans of a former player and now manager with some pedigree, than the opinions of some hysterical armchair supporters.

Lupo Italiano

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not just his woeful team selections so far it's the fact that he appears to be effectively writing off the chances of the new guys getting a chance. Since being appointed he has banged on about the size of the squad and the agenda seems to be to ship out the newbies and stick by the old dross. This is coming from Thelwell. It feels like the takeover never happened.

We would lose all credibility if we were to get rid now and would look like a basket case club in the mould of Leeds but he needs to buck his ideas up sharpish, he is losing the crowd in record time and freezing out the flair in favour of 'graft' will do him no favours whatsoever both in terms of league position and support of the fans

D

Deleted member 3518

Having concerns is one thing. Truncating what he said, i.e his public utterances today, to suit an agenda is exactly that, an agenda. Calling for him to be sacked after two games is impatient. Saying that the British players are **** and the reason we are where we are is ignorant and just not true. I'm also wolves through and through and they are the only thing I blindly follow anywhere. My faith in Lambert comes from his previous record in this league, keeping up a ****e Villa side and stopping a Blackburn team from turning up their toes. I think that slating a manager, and there are plenty doing this already, that has been here three weeks and quite clearly has a mammoth task ahead is staggering and embarassing and we have a habit of doing it.When we are in the ascendency our fans are some of the best snywhere and our away support is magnificent wherever we go but also I see no fans turn on a side as quickly as we do when we concede, or boo their own captain when he misplaces a pass or comes out at half time to present a football (yes he was booed on Saturday). Like you I desperately want us to succeed but Lambert needs time and transfer windows before he can be judged effectively. Just because he didn't pick the player we want or expect in a certain position doesn't mean he is wrong, and I'd rather put my trust in the plans of a former player and now manager with some pedigree, than the opinions of some hysterical armchair supporters.

So blind faith and who are you calling an armchair fan?

Alienwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If (when) we lose on Thursday we drop into the relegation zone. I really want to be wrong but who's putting money on anything other than a 0-0 or a defeat. Saturday has really left me deflated!!!

Lupo Italiano

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If (when) we lose on Thursday we drop into the relegation zone. I really want to be wrong but who's putting money on anything other than a 0-0 or a defeat. Saturday has really left me deflated!!!

Pick a similar side to Saturday and it's a banker

D

Deleted member 3751

What you need to strive for is consistency. When you have a bunch of players new to the league as well as a manager, you have to accept that consistency will more than likely take time to achieve. They showed the level of performance they can reach against Newcastle and Villa, surely, if you get that level seven times out of ten you're going to have a very good season. What we've seemed to do however, is focus on the lows rather than the highs, as you sum up yourself by saying those performances were the exception and not the rule. Well you know what? You try to make those performances the rule and the abject ones the exception.

A manager should be attempting to get the most out of what he has at his disposal, and Lambert has already set out to get the bare minimum with the same players who haven't been up to it for years (you could call them consistent in their own special way). He's taken two games to make me fully believe he's not the man to take us forward.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pressure growing by the day. We are in a dreadful position and the worst thing is can anyone see us winning on Thursday when we all know deep down what sort of side will be wheeled out?

Back
Top Bottom