Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

'We're in a relegation fight' - Lambert

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After all the money spent and big promises, just what we need to hear from a new manager less than half way into the season.

This sets the scene for more turgid 0-0s.

Granted, we are in a mess but come on, Mr Lambert: instil some fire and belief.

Derby Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe this is in effect Lambert admitting that he now knows **** like Doherty, Saville, Lonergan etc aren't the answer and we're in relegation battle whilst these players are still here? We can but hope anyway.

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He knows the defence is a mess & there's too many young players in key positions making mistakes

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hes correct in what he says . He is telling the truth , we are in a deep dire position . Whats the point in dressing it up as something the realists on here know not to be true . He would be slated for lying , dressing things up , being too optimistic yet he says it as it is and still gets stick ! Strikes me he can't win either way .
He has inherited this bag of *******s and the creators of that are the the new owners - simple as that . For Christ sake give the guy a chance .

Last edited:

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
Lambert is just trying to cover his ass and make out he inherited a relegation battle so that he is in the clear when the post mortem is done on our season. The fact is that the squad is good enough to be challenging for the playoffs and just needs someone with a bit of sense to get the balance right. The top end of the Championship is packed with mediocre teams and 28 games is plenty of time to turn things around. No matter how much Lambert might want to criticise the squad that he inherited, he needs to remember that under Zenga we played 3 of the current top 4 teams (Newcastle, Reading and Birmingham) off the park and although we may have been underperforming towards the end of Zenga's reign, we were not in the mess that we are now under him.

Lambert should have made it clear that he will be judging players on their ability, not just picking Rob Edwards' mates and sucking up to Thelwell by blaming the new recruits (i.e. the ones recruited by his 'rival' Mendes) for everything. Perhaps if he spent less time slagging off some of his players in the press then he might have more time to actually build a settled team.

D

Deleted member 4594

After all the money spent and big promises, just what we need to hear from a new manager less than half way into the season.

This sets the scene for more turgid 0-0s.

Granted, we are in a mess but come on, Mr Lambert: instil some fire and belief.
What do you want him to say?!
We ARE in a relegation fight, at least he realises it, too many on here don't.
We can't go 90 minutes without a mistake at the back, we can't score goals. If he'd come out and said he was aiming for the play offs I'd have been worried.
You are right though, we can all get ready for more anti football. In a dog fight he's going to call on the British players.
You can blame whoever was in charge of our laughable summer recruitment for it.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lambert is just trying to cover his ass and make out he inherited a relegation battle so that he is in the clear when the post mortem is done on our season. The fact is that the squad is good enough to be challenging for the playoffs and just needs someone with a bit of sense to get the balance right. The top end of the Championship is packed with mediocre teams and 28 games is plenty of time to turn things around. No matter how much Lambert might want to criticise the squad that he inherited, he needs to remember that under Zenga we played 3 of the current top 4 teams (Newcastle, Reading and Birmingham) off the park and although we may have been underperforming towards the end of Zenga's reign, we were not in the mess that we are now under him.

Lambert should have made it clear that he will be judging players on their ability, not just picking Rob Edwards' mates and sucking up to Thelwell by blaming the new recruits (i.e. the ones recruited by his 'rival' Mendes) for everything. Perhaps if he spent less time slagging off some of his players in the press then he might have more time to actually build a settled team.

Totally agree.
A lot of fans getting fed up with Lambert already and I can see why to be honest.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its the truth and the reality, we are right in it, individual errors at the back, no goal threat, little leadership, we are right in it. I do think Lambert is quickly realising who is and isnt good enough or up for it. Just have to grind out results till the transfer window opens, it means boring 0-0s so be it

Derby Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lamberts words are only realistic if he starts binning the players making mistakes.

We arent short of options for Doherty or Iorfa to go out of the side because Hause and/or Silvio could come in.

We know we have Cav waiting in the wings for Saville.

We know we have Saiss, Evans (if fit) to replace Coady.

Edwards see Tex, see Bright.

Bod see Dicko

Lambert can keep talking but if he keeps persisting over players flatly not good enough without trying the alternatives then hes making a rod for his own back and deserves the stick going his way.

I PREY he's underestimated how **** some of the pre-fosun players are and hes now acutely aware they need to go but these comments about the foreign players having their chance already worry me he isnt.

As far as im concerned Saville, Doherty and Lonergan (in particular) can have no complaints about being dropped on Thursday. Conversely Dicko is deserving of a start for his efforts onn Saturday. If all three keep their places and dicko isnt started then serious questions MUST be asked.

Lambert has been parachuted into a **** fest of that im in no doubt but he must be seen to be actively attempting to change it.

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The manager is correct. Good luck to him in the fight for survival ...

Reaction score
I agree Summer Wolf he seems to imply our current situation is down to the new players as they have their chance and won't be using them again. If this is so we really are in the mire, IMV it is them that are more likely to get us out of the mess if they are used correctly and given a proper run unlike recently where they have been given a sparse chance then discarded.

R

reanswolf

He's right - think of it this way - he has recognised the severe limitations of the squad, which means he must have identified the many obvious weaknesses.

Hopefully too he will rectify that.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2 games 2 games FFS This mad even by our standards
We badly needed something radically different though, and as crazy as as the time length makes it seem, all Lambert has come in and done or said so far is "don't get excited, expect more of the same".

He's cosying up to the regime that has been so incompetent for so long.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What do you want him to say?!
We ARE in a relegation fight, at least he realises it, too many on here don't.
We can't go 90 minutes without a mistake at the back, we can't score goals. If he'd come out and said he was aiming for the play offs I'd have been worried.
You are right though, we can all get ready for more anti football. In a dog fight he's going to call on the British players.
You can blame whoever was in charge of our laughable summer recruitment for it.
Spot on. He is just reflecting reality.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you look at how Bolton played last season, especially at Molineux we haven't got a chance of surviving, especially if we start games like we did Saturday. The quality and more importantly, the confidence is not there.

The back line will send us down.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is correct, but his initial starting line ups don't help his cause when he is keeping better players on the bench and it hardly inspires everyone at the club to hear things like that

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wrote a thread about whether it could partly be down to the fans. As i expected i got slaughtered. But, i think it is. We are collectively mad
Because the manager of the Grand Theatre would come out and slag off the theatre goers in the Express & Star after he'd sold them £50 tickets, promising them a host of stars on the posters only to put on a play with the Castlecroft am dram society, half of whom can't remember their lines.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2 games 2 games FFS This mad even by our standards

Maybe but looking on all Wolves forums and social media and speaking to several other fans I know it seems many are getting ****ed off with his comments about the new players and style of football. It stems from last season if you ask me. A season full of dirge and now this season is becoming the same. Of course last season is by no means Lamberts fault but he really hasn't helped himself since he got the job with his comments on the new players. It almost seems he has made his mind up without giving them a fair chance and this is really ****ing off a lot of fans as quite a few seem sick of the old guard that have been failing time and time again for over 18 months now but for some reason they are exempt from criticism and its all the new lads fault.
This is what is really getting a lot of fans backs up with the club and now Lambert as it seems like a never ending cycle whereupon certain players never seem to get dropped despite consistently below par and poor performances.
Didn't Saturday prove just how poor most of them are when eight of them lined up in that dreadful performance?
I am certain Lambert would be getting cut far more slack if he was being more adventurous and trying different formations and combinations but all he seems to have done is bring back most of the old guard who have been awful for some time and play Saville on the left wing. This has yielded us one point at PNE in what most said was a very poor game and no points in one of our worst performances of the season add to that not one goal scored.
Lambert may have only just got here but he needs to get his skates on and show a lot more to me and others as time is something we don't have given our league position.
Rant over!

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When asked if those new players, many of whom are out of the team, would be given a chance to impress soon, Lambert said: “They’ve had their chance. They played a lot of games before I came in."

Really Paul?

So, PL does not rate the newbies at all. Which might explain why he is sticking with last season's cloggers.

I agree with Norwegian Wolf: within the current squad there is enough talent to be challenging for a top six place. But all Lambert has done is set the club's mindset to relegation, which has a detrimental effect on everyone. And his comments about the newbies will hardly encourage them to embrace the Championship. Weren't Villa looking odds on for double relegation until Bruce stepped in?

I would wonder whether this is what FOSUN had in mind when appointing PL.

S

Staten Island Wolf

well said lambert. we were still seeing threads on here about where we would finish until recently as though the obvious that we are one of the worst teams in the division wasn't apparent. Yes! we are a mess. We are scrapping to survive. Fosun will have to wait, like the rest of us. Ship out the garbage
Because the manager of the Grand Theatre would come out and slag off the theatre goers in the Express & Star after he'd sold them £50 tickets, promising them a host of stars on the posters only to put on a play with the Castlecroft am dram society, half of whom can't remember their lines.
LOL. They can't remember their lines because the crowd makes them nervous. We are "triggering" the players. They need a "safe place" to play. QPR should do. No Wolves fans to rattle em.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In reply to PL. No ****! I would never have known lol!

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree.
A lot of fans getting fed up with Lambert already and I can see why to be honest.
Part of the problem arises from the shock of RE ditching anyone who can control the ball. Many were hoping for something different from PL but it never came.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
well said lambert. we were still seeing threads on here about where we would finish until recently as though the obvious that we are one of the worst teams in the division wasn't apparent. Yes! we are a mess. We are scrapping to survive. Fosun will have to wait, like the rest of us. Ship out the garbage

LOL. They can't remember their lines because the crowd makes them nervous. We are "triggering" the players. They need a "safe place" to play. QPR should do. No Wolves fans to rattle em.

They can make things better for themselves by taking in a Syrian refugee each. Like Bob Geldolf and Lily Allen did. Come on Wolves players - let's have some hardcore virtue signalling. That'll make you feel better when those nasty fans criticise you.

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
he's sending a message to the players that they need to knuckle down & cut out the mistakes, we can't afford them

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He speaks the truth. We need to consolidate our position in the league this season, then look to push on in the next and target promotion with a PL team. Lambert has a big task ahead of him, the last thing we need is fans getting on his back because their favourite foreign prima donna isn't playing. I might remind you Costa has started every game under Lambert, the others are clearly yet to convince.

We have a shocking defence, and I really hope he sorts it out in January, because it's the same players costing us games time and time again. If West Ham want Iorfa for £5 million, I'll drive him there. The only ones I believe have a future here are Hause and Doherty, even those have been culpable of late.

JuliusCaesar

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Stunning negativity coming out from Lambert. Totally unimpressed.

So at the end of the season he can say he's done well if the club finishes 15th? Would Jackett have been able to get away with that sort of talk when he had far less talent at his disposal? Did Zenga get fired because the club was bottom 3 or because it looked more like he didn't have what it takes to land top 6.

Moyes did this at Sunderland, at least he had the excuse that they really are a poor squad, but even then it was a terrible message to send out and gives players 'permission' to achieve only the bare minimum.

Well, if these foreign lads have 'had their chance' the British lads had theirs too. Plenty of it, last season. How did that go again?

If Paul Lambert sat in two interviews with Shi and Thellwell and said 'well boys, I'm your man. I think I can keep you in the Championship this season provided we bin off the show ponies from Benfica and get back to some graft' then I'd be mighty surprised.

Call it as I see it and I've seen this sort of thing before. There is a division in the camp and I said right when Zenga was fired that this would be a sign as to whether the old (UK) guard or new era would win out. It looks like the old guard won and, if we're lucky, they might just about be good enough to stave off relegation.

I backed his appointment in the battle of who's the least worst manager Wolves can appoint from that shambolic shortlist they arrived at (coincidentally, all - at the time - out of work British managers) and I still think/thought he would have been the right fit for the job, which is to get Wolves in or very near the top 6. So this isn't about giving Lambert 'a chance'. This is about commenting on the specific things he saying and doing. So far, two horrible line ups, one point, no goals and some very unimpressive talk singling out the new players and bringing expectation levels to such a low that mere survival would be considered 'success'. Talk about changing the narrative. Front foot football eh? OK. Let's see it then. And here's a tip. The last two managers who picked teams filled with the players who've been here a while, you know, the ones who 'know the league' and understand the division? Well they both got fired.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He speaks the truth. We need to consolidate our position in the league this season, then look to push on in the next and target promotion with a PL team. Lambert has a big task ahead of him, the last thing we need is fans getting on his back because their favourite foreign prima donna isn't playing. I might remind you Costa has started every game under Lambert, the others are clearly yet to convince.

We have a shocking defence, and I really hope he sorts it out in January, because it's the same players costing us games time and time again. If West Ham want Iorfa for £5 million, I'll drive him there. The only ones I believe have a future here are Hause and Doherty, even those have been culpable of late.
I very much agree with you re our "defence", if you will pardon the misnomer. Iorfa and Hause may have a future here but it ain't any time soon based on their performances over the past 12 months. Doherty cannot defend and should be shipped out in January IMV, at least Hause and Iorfa have age on their side. The bottom line is we really need a whole new defence. 2 decent CBs is the minimum required in the January window. Silvio is a seasoned international so if fit and then played regularly ought to be an automatic starter at FB but then who will play in the other FB position? Hause, Iorfa CBJ and Doherty have all cost us games this season with their silly errors, Deslandes is still a kid and, as he showed on Saturday, Stearman is not match fit having spent most of the season on the bench. The January transfer window cannot come soon enough and will be crucial for us, I think.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Stunning negativity coming out from Lambert. Totally unimpressed.

So at the end of the season he can say he's done well if the club finishes 15th? Would Jackett have been able to get away with that sort of talk when he had far less talent at his disposal? Did Zenga get fired because the club was bottom 3 or because it looked more like he didn't have what it takes to land top 6.

Moyes did this at Sunderland, at least he had the excuse that they really are a poor squad, but even then it was a terrible message to send out and gives players 'permission' to achieve only the bare minimum.

Well, if these foreign lads have 'had their chance' the British lads had theirs too. Plenty of it, last season. How did that go again?

If Paul Lambert sat in two interviews with Shi and Thellwell and said 'well boys, I'm your man. I think I can keep you in the Championship this season provided we bin off the show ponies from Benfica and get back to some graft' then I'd be mighty surprised.

Call it as I see it and I've seen this sort of thing before. There is a division in the camp and I said right when Zenga was fired that this would be a sign as to whether the old (UK) guard or new era would win out. It looks like the old guard won and, if we're lucky, they might just about be good enough to stave off relegation.

I backed his appointment in the battle of who's the least worst manager Wolves can appoint from that shambolic shortlist they arrived at (coincidentally, all - at the time - out of work British managers) and I still think/thought he would have been the right fit for the job, which is to get Wolves in or very near the top 6. So this isn't about giving Lambert 'a chance'. This is about commenting on the specific things he saying and doing. So far, two horrible line ups, one point, no goals and some very unimpressive talk singling out the new players and bringing expectation levels to such a low that mere survival would be considered 'success'. Talk about changing the narrative. Front foot football eh? OK. Let's see it then. And here's a tip. The last two managers who picked teams filled with the players who've been here a while, you know, the ones who 'know the league' and understand the division? Well they both got fired.

Just saved me writing a very long and almost identical post. Thankyou!

I still feel Lambert will turn things around but the statement about the foreign players having had their chance is patently ridiculous.

The only other thing I'll add is what happened last time we reverted to primarily a limited old guard with plenty of Championship experience but not enough ability and a mentality of having been beaten consistently for a long period of time.

Ikeme
Foley, Johnson, Gorkss, Ward
Edwards, Henry, O'Hara, Sako/Hunt
Doyle, SEB/Sigurdarson

Championship experience and a British passport aren't pre-requisites to success. Ability, quality, heart, a collective and positive team-spirit (which can't be helped by comments like PL's about the foreign players) are.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's not what we'd ideally like to hear but I'm afraid it's the reality we face and I'd far rather he acknowledges it.

Many fans were still talking about a surge for the playoffs after the Preston game, but there's been absolutely nothing this season to suggest we're anywhere close to that level and most of the top 6 squads are far, far stronger than us. Our form for an extended period of time now is relegation-form and we need to face the reality I'm afraid.

Make no mistake Lambert has inherited a complete mess. He's been in the new role a few weeks now and knows what he's up against (an unmanageably large squad, a lack of experience and character in the dressing room, a split dressing room).

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Part of the problem arises from the shock of RE ditching anyone who can control the ball. Many were hoping for something different from PL but it never came.

Pretty sure Rob Edwards is the only one to start Costa, Cav and Tex all in the same team in their proper positions.

JuliusCaesar

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just saved me writing a very long and almost identical post. Thankyou!

I still feel Lambert will turn things around but the statement about the foreign players having had their chance is patently ridiculous.

The only other thing I'll add is what happened last time we reverted to primarily a limited old guard with plenty of Championship experience but not enough ability and a mentality of having been beaten consistently for a long period of time.

Ikeme
Foley, Johnson, Gorkss, Ward
Edwards, Henry, O'Hara, Sako/Hunt
Doyle, SEB/Sigurdarson

Championship experience and a British passport aren't pre-requisites to success. Ability, quality, heart, a collective and positive team-spirit (which can't be helped by comments like PL's about the foreign players) are.

Agree.

We look at a midfield consisting of Saville, Coady (that's £3m worth right there btw) then various rotations including Wallace, Price, Edwards et al. These are players who know the division. Players who Thellwell would have recruited. And my stance is, so?? Diego Costa didn't 'know the division' when he went to Chelsea. In fact we can come up with masses of players who don't or didn't 'know the division' in citing success stories and equally many players who have simply moved from one club to another in a division they did know but were relatively successful or unsuccessful at different clubs. When people talk about buying players who 'know the division' I ask them to be specific and name the players or, more to the point, what type of players? Players who 'know the division' tend to needed to have played in it for a long time - players like, erm, Wolves have plenty of. So what they really mean is players who are good enough to get out of the division. Players who are therefore good enough to be Premier League players then? Players like Jordan Rhodes? And how much money do they cost, and that's even if they are willing to move back down? So, if not that type of player, we're talking about players who are good enough to perhaps play in the Premier League but aren't currently in it? That gives you the star players at other Championship clubs (who Premier League teams will be in for) or.....foreigners.

If Wolves want players who 'know the division' they can take their pick from a pool of about 400 players. And they can get to know the division even better, as they stay in it for yet another season and then scratch their heads and wonder how and why it happened. Good players are good players, regardless of division. We'll only know if these new signings are any good if they actually get a run of games in the team.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why can't Wolves sign players who know the division that are actually worth a damn? Why are these mythical Chump experts such ****?

D

Deleted member 3604

I don't go for the theory that you should only buy certain players because it's the Championship and in all fairness I haven't noticed any of these 'new' players sulking and looking pathetic like the others. Super Dave has told them to 'Man Up' and he's spot on but those consistent and persistent defensive errors that go back a long time even during the honeymoon period are a sign of poor players or more likely average Championship players. We've seen it before and it's always apparent when players are on their way out. These players should have been identified as surplus a long time ago and as such the blame lies far beyond Lambert. It's like discarding some very good ingredients because you've forgotten how to make a cake. We've played the top teams when they too had a crisis of confidence but whereas teams like Newcastle, Blues or Reading have quality in abundance or in the latter organisation and spirit we are a sulk and a bunch of pampered wimps.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's just so depressing to watch us splurge £14 million pounds on players in the summer to then still find ourselves still watching the likes of Batth, Doherty, Iorfa, Stearman, Saville, Edwards and Coady. Absolute ineptness both on and off the field.

We were abysmal last season under Ken, to the point where on a number of occasions I found myself forgetting we were even playing. I was literally beyond apathetic. Somehow Wolves have contrived to make this worse with new billionaire owners and significant investment. I just can't believe this club at times.

Right now I have a very bad feeling about the current situation and its long term implications. We're already pinning our hopes on the notoriously difficult January window and on Lambert to demonstrate some nous just to stay in the championship. I would genuinely fear the worst for us if the unthinkable happened. It looks like a distinct possibility to me.

Back
Top Bottom