Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

WELCOME, João Gomes!!!

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
33 pages of bull**** about a player very few had heard about before page 1.
Mostly because of the unusual circumstances (at least for it to be in the media. I suspect crazy **** like this happens regularly, we just don't know).

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But you have to bring the toddler up and have many more situations. Plus you care about what the toddler becomes. None of those things are true here.

It's very unlikely we deal with Flamengo again so paying up isn't necessarily the wrong way to go.

For me, the key is whether the Lyon bid is genuine. Given they have flown representative to negotiate with the player, it would seem it is. So Flamengo might feel he is worth a bit more than they could get a week ago.

If we feel its all smoke and mirrors to get an extra £2m, we could wait it out

I agree the toddler analogy is not perfect for the reasons you describe. However if you treat this as a transactional relationship as you imply, even if Wolves never deal with Flamengo or Lyon again, this drama is playing out in full view of other clubs, agents and players. If Wolves cave in, then others may be tempted to play the same games. It would be like me going to buy a house, and giving in to the estate agent’s patter about another interested buyer, to force me to raise my bid. Now I may never buy another house via that agent again, but if the agent’s ruse and my name were then shared with other estate agents, I will likely find other agents trying the same tactic next time I bid for a house.

Agree on the final couple of statements, and it’s maybe impossible to determine whether Lyon’s interest is real or not, since that trip could also be part of the ruse. Maybe Mendes or our well connected technical advisor has some insight via their channels.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What’s the relevance can some one educate me?
A journalist replying to his 'God is marvellous' tweet with "good luck, you deserve it"

Some are interpreting it as 'you're getting your wish, which you deserve', the rest of us are interpreting it as 'you're getting a move somewhere in Europe yet to be determined, which you deserve'

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Football ceased to be a game in which fairness & principles were applauded when The Corinthians fell out of the football league. We may be more ‘principled’ than some, but I expect we have pulled a few stunts in our time.

Pay the money, welcome the lad, and move on.
As has been said already, the Corinthians were never in the Football League, ever!

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not the amount of money that matters. If you show you can be manipulated then every time we go in for players in these positions other teams will mess us around. Same reason why you don’t negotiate with terrorists or to a more extreme example give in to your toddler having a tantrum - it just breeds bad behaviour. Short term pain for long term gain.
Seems a bit over the top.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And we know that Flamengo have recruited his replacement already, and spent plenty of money on him in the process.

It's just not as clear cut as you seem to think.
You've clearly only read one post so you're last line doesn't really make sense.

I'm just looking at all the outcomes. As I said yesterday, we're still in the driver's seat as long as the player holds firm.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves still confident they will get him is being reported
Then again Flamengo say they will not sell to Wolves lol
I have no idea whether he will be good for us or not even if he does come but its been fun either way

Gasman

Reaction score
Yep that’s interesting to be fair.

This is the craziest transfer link I’ve known.

I’ve never wanted somebody I’ve never heard of so much.

An unknown fan favourite before we’ve even signed him…… wolves only wolves haha
Surely talisca was wanted more!

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In life , succesful companies make it happen.
Anyone that thinks the world of football is principled needs to get real.
If Wolves want this guy they should have tied the deal up - other clubs manage it without Mendes !

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
So if this does result in positive news and Gomes is on his way here, what does the hashtag change to?!

#wefreedjoaogomes
#joaogomesisfree
#joaogomesiswilliamwallace
#godfreedgomes

Just to get us started!

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The twists and turns of this saga do help to pass the time. I am particularly fond of the interpretations based upon flimsy evidence.
"He finished his last message with "love" - defo. coming to us"
"The journalist used the word "happy" - defo. going to Lyon.
Personally, I am leaning heavily on what time the frost on my car windows disappears. If it is before noon, he has joined the Pack.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In life , succesful companies make it happen.
Anyone that thinks the world of football is principled needs to get real.
If Wolves want this guy they should have tied the deal up - other clubs manage it without Mendes !
Although your right in what you say i think this has become a matter of principle for us
Obviously we think we have an agreement in place and Flamengo think otherwise
We as fans have no idea whats going on,but i dont blame Wolves for standing firm if indeed they think its a water tight case, but if its like half a million to get it done and theres some doubt about the agreements validity then yeah pay it and get your man

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thing is none of us know if he’s any better than Boubacre Traore

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Flamengo saying they will not deal with Wolves, they acting like they're the wronged party and we are the ones that have been ****s

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Please explain. Why would we regret this deal not happening? We've just seen a player we wanted loaned out to Benfica because it didn't work out. Transfers are always something of a gamble.

Of course, but some far more of a gamble than others.

Because of his age, reputation and actually the position he plays, I see very little risk factor. It's not like a striker, whereby if he can't get going his value is going to suffer.

Football is greedy. Shocking news to no one. Hence why we put ST prices up every year simply for the sake of it.

I understand our stance but you just know we'll end up regretting it.

Last edited:

Woolywolf

Reaction score
Any negotiating training focuses on being able to avoid creating win/lose scenarios. Exactly what has now been created. All outcomes require one of the parties losing face. Guess our South American counterparts have a different manual

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very frustrating for the ordinary fan. This type of situation does seem to happen to us more than most.

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bugger this Flamenco lot.....trying to lead us on some merry dance,!

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Although your right in what you say i think this has become a matter of principle for us
Obviously we think we have an agreement in place and Flamengo think otherwise
We as fans have no idea whats going on,but i dont blame Wolves for standing firm if indeed they think its a water tight case, but if its like half a million to get it done and theres some doubt about the agreements validity then yeah pay it and get your man
It should have been tied up legally , to avoid this open bidding process .
I suppose I feel it’s our naïveté again. We are being played .

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So this guy is the next coming of “Sergio Busquets”

Potentially Neves replacement.

Wanted by Lyon & looked at by Liverpool.

But we won’t pay them the extra 1 million?

Either this is sorted out asap or he really isn’t the attributes above. Simple.
Nothing is ever simple with transfers approaching end of January for a player who is in high demand. Selling clubs hold out for more money. Buying clubs often bluff what their best offer is until the deadline. The player can veto a move to somewhere he doesnt want to go. If we offered an extra million now it would make absolutely no difference in getting it over the line any quicker. This situation nearly always goes to the wire.
I think Gomes objective will be moving to the Premier League and getting game time to build his reputation. If he wants to come to England then Wolves is a great option unless a top 6 club came in who will actually give him first team football. If a non elite Premier League club like Forest came in late on and splashed money on a higher fee offer then Gomes might opt for them rather than lose his move to England. Wolves would probably be Gomes's choice as we have so many players who speak his language. The selling club or the player can block a move if it doesnt suit them so if Forest were offering 20m and Wolves were offering 15m with Wolves as Gomes preferred destination he would be under pressure to move to Forest rather than not move to England at all.

Back
Top Bottom