Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

WELCOME, João Gomes!!!

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What if Lyon then improve their bid to £20m? The goal posts could potentially keep moving. We will not get a fair negotiation at this point. Sadly Gomes is being let down very badly by his club.
You obviously need a price in mind you are happy to move to for him and what still represents good value. Sticking at one fee isnt a sign of weakness.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All this losing face is the biggest load of rubbish I've ever heard, how can you lose face when you've been outbid
Nobody loses face if we buy him for an undisclosed fee (as Wolves often do) regardless of the actual fee and which party has given in.

Bob Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
for 2 million? I hope if we don't get him that he sells in 3 years for 60 million.
It’s not the amount of money that matters. If you show you can be manipulated then every time we go in for players in these positions other teams will mess us around. Same reason why you don’t negotiate with terrorists or to a more extreme example give in to your toddler having a tantrum - it just breeds bad behaviour. Short term pain for long term gain.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Except it's usually the player that ends up bending, especially if they're younger.

Flamengo could play that off easily though and say we're fine keeping you. We already know Gomes doesn't want to stay in Brazil. He was quoted last year about wanting to go to one of the top 5 leagues and having a desire to play in each one.

And we know that Flamengo have recruited his replacement already, and spent plenty of money on him in the process.

It's just not as clear cut as you seem to think.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And we know that Flamengo have recruited his replacement already, and spent plenty of money on him in the process.

It's just not as clear cut as you seem to think.
Aren’t they selling another player to Newcastle?

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
None of us know what to believe with this story anymore. The player is an asset of Flamengo and they hold the cards really. Gomes can state his preference and refuse to join Lyon, but I expect Flamengo then make him see out his contract. Tbh I look at this and just think, ‘Whatever’ and hope it’s concluded one way or another soon.

I understand the views of those saying don’t fold to their new expectations as it encourages this kind of thing even more. But I can also see that if he’s worth it, and the player wants to play for us in the premier league, then providing it’s not a massive difference from agreed price, then we show the lad the faith and commitment to him that he is showing to us. Tough one really. Just needs putting to bed now. Lyon need to stump up or **** off and let the player be happy as I suspect most of it is something of a rouse to extort more money, playing with a players future.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everyone has different experiences with the same cultures due to the industries and circles they move in.

What I said is based upon the people I know who are of Chinese heritage and from speaking to people I know who work/worked in China in the sporting arena.

But yeah tech industry is the Wild West, not going to argue that lol
I wonder if it's a difference between sectors. Main issue we see are IP, botting, and employee/contractor 'fraud' (eg I interviewed someone last week who was supposedly in europe but was actually in a chinese offce pretending not to be - this happens a lot).

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
None of us know what to believe with this story anymore. The player is an asset of Flamengo and they hold the cards really. Gomes can state his preference and refuse to join Lyon, but I expect Flamengo then make him see out his contract. Tbh I look at this and just think, ‘Whatever’ and hope it’s concluded one way or another soon.

I understand the views of those saying don’t fold to their new expectations as it encourages this kind of thing even more. But I can also see that if he’s worth it, and the player wants to play for us in the premier league, then providing it’s not a massive difference from agreed price, then we show the lad the faith and commitment to him that he is showing to us. Tough one really. Just needs putting to bed now. Lyon need to stump up or **** off and let the player be happy as I suspect most of it is something of a rouse to extort more money, playing with a players future.

Problem is aside from us setting a precedent that we’re weak and will fold which will affect many future transfers.

It likely won’t make a difference. Clearly something dodgy between Landim and Textor who are friends.

We match the Lyon offer, Lyon raise the offer and so on.

I suspect the only way this deal happens is if both us and the player stick to our guns.

The closer we get to the deadline the more nervous Flamengo will get. However this is also gonna be the point the player will get nervous and may end up going to Lyon in a panic.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Problem is aside from us setting a precedent that we’re weak and will fold which will affect many future transfers.

It likely won’t make a difference. Clearly something dodgy between Landim and Textor who are friends.

We match the Lyon offer, Lyon raise the offer and so on.

I suspect the only way this deal happens is if both us and the player stick to our guns.

The closer we get to the deadline the more nervous Flamengo will get. However this is also gonna be the point the player will get nervous and may end up going to Lyon in a panic.

Like Tim Vickory said once a player in Brazil reaches 22, he value starts to fall off. Gomes turns 22 in 3 weeks time, realistically they need to flog him this window espeically when they've signed his replacement.

How I see it, Lyon and Flamengo are doing us dirty by trying to get us to pay more. Gomes will get his move to who though ? who the **** knows

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Like Tim Vickory said once a player in Brazil reaches 22, he value starts to fall off. Gomes turns 22 in 3 weeks time, realistically they need to flog him this window espeically when they've signed his replacement.

How I see it, Lyon and Flamengo are doing us dirty by trying to get us to pay more. Gomes will get his move to who though ? who the ****s knows

I think we need to hold firm. As you say quite rightly, his value will depreciate and Flamengo will be getting nervous. The player could technically say “no I won’t go anywhere except wolves”.

He does hold the cards here to be fair.

I actually feel really sorry for him at the moment.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It’s not the amount of money that matters. If you show you can be manipulated then every time we go in for players in these positions other teams will mess us around. Same reason why you don’t negotiate with terrorists or to a more extreme example give in to your toddler having a tantrum - it just breeds bad behaviour. Short term pain for long term gain.
People negotiate with terrorists all the time

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

But if it is a ruse, friend owner at Lyon being used to bid up the price agreed with Wolves, then they won’t just pay up or shut up. They will play the ruse as long as they think they can or until Wolves cave in. If Wolves hold firm, and the player is committed to joining Wolves and sticks to his guns, then at some point Lyon will withdraw from the game, when it’s clear the ruse has failed, and likely Flamengo will contact Wolves to seek to finish the deal previously agreed. As long as the player sticks to his guns, any ruse will fail, whether he joins Wolves or not.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like we or the player will get our wish if it's down to personal relationships between the other clubs. Probably best if we put this on the back burner and move on... At least the Twitter hashtag was fun.

Last edited:

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There is a very specific way transfer bids have to be submitted. Both FAs have to be sent the paperwork of the bid and then the subsequent response.

All of that is with the Brazilian and English FA. The bid is official and is officially accepted.

I don’t understand this side of things all that well. You clearly seem to have a knowledge of the process.

So in this situation what next?

The bids official, accepted and it’s all with the relevant FA’s and the player wants to come to Wolves.

What’s the next stage and can it be pushed to happen?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People negotiate with terrorists all the time

Some do, and as a result, the extortion of others continues.

The post was quite right, you don’t give in to a toddler with a temper tantrum, or they will continue to try to use the trick for the rest of their life, and the cost of drawing a line will get ever greater as the behaviour becomes more and more deep seated. Unfortunately some people don’t understand this. The parents suffer ever more bad and demanding behaviour, and the toddler later in life comes a cropper when faced with other people unwilling to bend to their demands.

If you draw a line and stick to it, eventually in future negotiations, clubs will not try this tactic once they’ve agreed to a deal.

Wolvesfcneil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Enough is enough. I say we send in a strike team and bust Joao out of there!

Step one: we send Sellars in as a drunken decoy, maybe disguised as a woman, Bugs Bunny style. “Ehhh im your best friend, hic! I transformed Wolves from a back 5… im
A girl Bunny’

Step two: JosWolf abseils through the window and chins the Lyon representative. TAKE THAT GARÇON. He then delivers an extensive lecture on where our transfer dealing went wrong, the guards flee.

Step three: Podence sneaks in through the air conditioning system whilst Costa battles through the main defences Commando style. Guedes sulks in the escape helicopter.

Step Four: An assault unit led by an enraged Wolfie, fully greased Adama and Doris the tea lady take out the remaining Flamengo dancers and get Joao to the chopper.

They take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.
It's the only way to be sure

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is a very specific way transfer bids have to be submitted. Both FAs have to be sent the paperwork of the bid and then the subsequent response.

All of that is with the Brazilian and English FA. The bid is official and is officially accepted.

So you are saying that it’s somewhat, albeit not exactly, like exchanging contracts on a house purchase in England, or having a binding offer accepted in Scotland?

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
33 pages of bull**** about a player very few had heard about before page 1.

MacTrizzle

Reaction score
Now thats interesting ...
Yes agreed. The fact that Gomes posted in the first place would suggest that, if related to the transfer, he is happy. Then the journalist wishing him good luck and that he deserves it? . The saga continues and I may be reading more into his than I should, but that to me sounds like he’s got his wish

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Some do, and as a result, the extortion of others continues.

The post was quite right, you don’t give in to a toddler with a temper tantrum, or they will continue to try to use the trick for the rest of their life, and the cost of drawing a line will get ever greater as the behaviour becomes more and more deep seated. Unfortunately some people don’t understand this. The parents suffer ever more bad and demanding behaviour, and the toddler later in life comes a cropper when faced with other people unwilling to bend to their demands.

If you draw a line and stick to it, eventually in future negotiations, clubs will not try this tactic once they’ve agreed to a deal.
But you have to bring the toddler up and have many more situations. Plus you care about what the toddler becomes. None of those things are true here.

It's very unlikely we deal with Flamengo again so paying up isn't necessarily the wrong way to go.

For me, the key is whether the Lyon bid is genuine. Given they have flown representative to negotiate with the player, it would seem it is. So Flamengo might feel he is worth a bit more than they could get a week ago.

If we feel its all smoke and mirrors to get an extra £2m, we could wait it out

Back
Top Bottom