Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Watford Verdict

• Thread starter Deleted member 4184
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Supported them for 52 years thanks. But like loads more I’ve spoke to since the final whistle we are not convinced about struggling to keep such a poor side as Watford at bay
We are missing the spark we had last season. Too ponderous in possession and although it’s great to see Doc back I’m afraid the cutting edge up front is poor.
As I said it was all about the 3 points today but we still need incremental improvements in all departments to make sure we don’t get dragged into a relegation battle
No rose tinted faff here I’m afraid.
Utterly full of ****. So glad i am not forced to interact with you regularly. Completely clueless, negative *****.

Coops

Reaction score
Rui - Good saves but, bar that one chance they had, didn’t have much to do
Boly - Great all round
Saiss - Amazing considering last week
Coady - didn’t have much to do which I suppose is great
Doc - good runs and showing some of the form he had last season coming back from his injury
Jonny - one of the better performances he’s had this season
Donk - average, gave the ball away too much for me but did manage to generally bring the ball back when he lost it
Joao - round Watford and didn’t give them any chance for a pass and generally passed well
Neto - promising going forwards, probably deserved to play 90 mins and linked up really well with Jonny
Traore - has he been re-machined? Through balls? Defending well? Keep it going and mix what he’s done in previous games and we have player on our hands.
Raul - Alright, think he needs some time off.

Can’t be ***** to do the subs but thought they were all decent.

Looks good going forwards if we keep it going, we’re on our way up?

Last edited:

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A much better performance, though we almost let Watford come back into the game at one point until the own goal finished them off.

Good to get 3 points on the board, but if we have higher aspirations then we're going to need to control games and put teams to the sword instead of handing it over to our opposition to give them a chance of getting back into it.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
3 points was important for so many reasons. After Huddersfield last season, so nice to beat the bottom team.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn't last week his first ever red card in English football? Complete myth about him being a "walking red card". He's an excellent footballer, hard as nails too, with a never-say-die attitude. :)
He's been hooked off half a dozen times once he's had a yellow and still looked a liability for a second yellow. That's why

GeoffPalmersLeftBoot

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
AND we’ve just beaten a bottom half (rock bottom) team!

(We usually lose against those!!):rolleyes:

So we must be on the up now.:D

Come on MEE BABBIES!!

R

reanswolf

Watford aren't poor. They absolutely battered Arsenal the week before getting hammered by City and had some respectable performances before that. This is the same Watford side that gleefully put us to the sword twice last season.

And again, unless I watched a total different Wolves last season, this was literally a prime performance from us, like our victories over Southampton and Bournemouth. Strike, be clinical, let them make the mistakes in front of us.

Were people worried today?
Exactly. Watford are a very good side caught in a rut.
They need to get a win under their belt, just like we had too.
Doucoure is really underperforming for me, that's a key reason.

R

reanswolf

Saiss, Jonny and Moutinho the stand outs. Doc doesn’t look fit to me still.

If we’d have been Burnley I would think our points tally would be have been more respectable.

Our formation still isn’t clicking. Too much of a gulf between the midfield and the forwards.

A bit early I know hit we need a box to box midfielder, to compete or replace Dendoncker who is resembling a headless chicken this season.
Good post. Doc never looks fit, but that's what I like about him. He drifts into excellent positions from nowhere.
He's a fabulous player.

Dendoncker is a funny one. I do feel (sadly) that a better box to box player would improve us no end, but he's still got a role in the squad for us. He was better last season I accept, changing the season in effect by being brought into midfield, but he's looked more laborious and less mobile this season, and its his off the ball work that is so effective usually, but not this season so far.

Agree with others, Boly, Coady, Saiss, Johnny, Moutinho all also superb yesterday, Traore was very good 80% of the time too. Take him out of the team and you wonder where any threat would come from. Neto was bright as well.

All in all a fantastic win yesterday - well done lads.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
My morning after verdict! :)

Relieved to get that first league win but I think actually over the 90 minutes it was a very deserved win. Reminded me a lot of a few of our wins last year, where the other team had more shots, possession etc but actually it was a comfortable win. I never really felt like Watford were going to hurt us, they had little spells of pressure but I can only think of one tricky save for Rui.

I thought defensively that was back to where we were last year, very strong, very compact. All the back three played well, and I thought Jonny was brilliant defensively.

Impressed by Neto shame he went off injured, he’s definitely got something about him! Him and Traore caused problems whenever they got the ball our problem was probably not getting the mall out wide quick enough or early enough. Still a bit worried about Raul think he’s looked off the pace for a while, wouldn’t mind seeing Cutrone start the next couple.

I ain’t saying all our problems are fixed but the last two performances have been a big step in the right direction. Things look a bit better, more positive anyway. Still things to work on and improve but I think that first win is huge. Bring on Besiktas!

Ratings:
:hearteyes:- Boly, Saiss, Jonny, Moutinho
:blush:- Patricio, Doherty, Coady, Neto, Traore
:expressionless:- Dendoncker, Jimenez, Gibbs-White, Neves, Cutrone
:worried:-
:weary:-

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While I like the balance of right footed Boly on the right and left footed Saiss on the left, and Coady between, there is a major pace problem on the left of those three, as even I could outpace Coady and Saiss!!!

Any coach worth his salt would target that area and Pep won’t have missed it for sure!

Vicious Sid

Reaction score
Utterly full of ****. So glad i am not forced to interact with you regularly. Completely clueless, negative *****.

the stats support rosehill

shots on target 2-3
shots off target 3-5
corners 1-6
possession 41-59

at home against the team now bottom

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2-0 and room for improvement.
For me,this match was all about the result..so mission accomplished with three points.
Glad to see us getting a clean sheet and satisfied with our current 3-4-3 system.
We still have problems midfield especially,but this has allready been highlighted in the thread.
My MOTM was Joao Moutinho..back to his majestic old self.He might play another five years.
We see the importance of Matt Doherty,the underwhelming signing made by Mick all those years ago.
The way he has developed as a player is simply astonishing.

I´d play the same starting lineup against City apart from giving Raul what it seems a much needed rest.
We will automatically reach another level as a team when Raul is back firing on all cylinders.

We are currently thirteen in the table.It says something after seven rounds.
We´ll be allright..let´s beat Besiktas.

D

Deleted member 5635

It was relentless prior to the game... shocking team selection... nunos got formation wrong... midfields gonna get over run... etc. Not really cherry picking. Not saying there wasnt praise after the game and so should be after a win. But prior it was as if we were gonna get spanked.

But to cherry pick a half time comment... 'we make watford look like man city' o_O
It could of been posters commenting on the fact that the team sheet released had us as 3-5-2 with traore upfront and when we kicked off it was a clear 3-4-3 with traore and Neto either side of raul. You can only comment on what evidence you have at the time though so I can understand posters saying it was a strange lineup to start with. It's easy to cherry pick comments but I thought I'd have a look at why they may have been said rather than just slating people.

Last edited by a moderator:

JadeWolf

Reaction score
It could of been posters commenting on the fact that the team sheet released had us as 3-5-2 with traore upfront and when we kicked off it was a clear 3-4-3 with traore and Neto either side of raul. You can only comment on what evidence you have at the time though so I can understand posters saying it was a strange lineup to start with. It's easy to cherry pick comments but I thought I'd have a look at why they may have been said rather than just slating people.
They posted the team last week as 3-5-2 but it was clearly 3-4-3, if some people were having a tantrum based on a graphic on Twitter then there’s no helping some people!

D

Deleted member 5635

They posted the team last week as 3-5-2 but it was clearly 3-4-3, if some people were having a tantrum based on a graphic on Twitter then there’s no helping some people!
So you should never ever comment on team selection until kickoff?

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Really pleased with the result and although I couldn't watch the game, sounded like we played well in parts and the first goal on motd was excellent, Watford are in deep sh##, allowed us to play our game.
I'm not sure why this season people are banging on about possession, we've never played a style under Nuno that relies on dominating possession (except against really poor teams) Nuno has spent over 2 seasons building a squad, choosing players and coaching a defensive style where we hit teams on the break, up until this season it has served us very well and the main reason we have been so poor is that we just haven't played it very well, plus a few individual errors. We may have to change our style at some point, but it won't happen over night

Tezthewolvesfan

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it me or does the Donk run like Chris Marsden?, would have loved to have seen those two in a 100mtr sprint.

Great win yesterday.....onwards and upwards

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My morning after verdict! :)

Relieved to get that first league win but I think actually over the 90 minutes it was a very deserved win. Reminded me a lot of a few of our wins last year, where the other team had more shots, possession etc but actually it was a comfortable win. I never really felt like Watford were going to hurt us, they had little spells of pressure but I can only think of one tricky save for Rui.

I thought defensively that was back to where we were last year, very strong, very compact. All the back three played well, and I thought Jonny was brilliant defensively.

Impressed by Neto shame he went off injured, he’s definitely got something about him! Him and Traore caused problems whenever they got the ball our problem was probably not getting the mall out wide quick enough or early enough. Still a bit worried about Raul think he’s looked off the pace for a while, wouldn’t mind seeing Cutrone start the next couple.

I ain’t saying all our problems are fixed but the last two performances have been a big step in the right direction. Things look a bit better, more positive anyway. Still things to work on and improve but I think that first win is huge. Bring on Besiktas!

Ratings:
:hearteyes:- Boly, Saiss, Jonny, Moutinho
:blush:- Patricio, Doherty, Coady, Neto, Traore
:expressionless:- Dendoncker, Jimenez, Gibbs-White, Neves, Cutrone
:worried:-
:weary:-
I think with Raul, the international break and him not being called up by Mexico will be huge in him fully recharging the batteries.

JadeWolf

Reaction score
So you should never ever comment on team selection until kickoff?
Of course you can but you risk looking very silly. I don’t think Nuno sits with the guy who does the graphics and says “yeah so it’s 3-4-3, Neto on the left, Raul in the middle etc”. Just because the Wolves twitter account posts a picture of 3-5-2 doesn’t mean it’s certain. Watford’s twitter just posted the 11 players in a row but I didn’t expect them to kick off with them all lined up behind each other.

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course you can but you risk looking very silly. I don’t think Nuno sits with the guy who does the graphics and says “yeah so it’s 3-4-3, Neto on the left, Raul in the middle etc”. Just because the Wolves twitter account posts a picture of 3-5-2 doesn’t mean it’s certain. Watford’s twitter just posted the 11 players in a row but I didn’t expect them to kick off with them all lined up behind each other.

Spot on, I never take that graphic as gospel. Whoever does it is guessing who will play where based on the names released on the sheet. Last week it had Boly on left and Saiss on right.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think with Raul, the international break and him not being called up by Mexico will be huge in him fully recharging the batteries.
Raul was running around like a madman yesterday!

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From the personnel we have at our disposal.....my midfield 3 would be Moutinio ,Neves and Neto . Needs an attacking minded player in there to link up with the front two more

Tipton Wolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Neto said he wants to be the best in the world. Keep going like that young man. Rest him for citeh now or game against besiktas?

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Neto said he wants to be the best in the world. Keep going like that young man. Rest him for citeh now or game against besiktas?

Personally, I think Beskitas is a far more important game so I’d go as strong as possible for that one. Then see how everyone pulls up for the City game.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really pleased with the result and although I couldn't watch the game, sounded like we played well in parts and the first goal on motd was excellent, Watford are in deep sh##, allowed us to play our game.
I'm not sure why this season people are banging on about possession, we've never played a style under Nuno that relies on dominating possession (except against really poor teams) Nuno has spent over 2 seasons building a squad, choosing players and coaching a defensive style where we hit teams on the break, up until this season it has served us very well and the main reason we have been so poor is that we just haven't played it very well, plus a few individual errors. We may have to change our style at some point, but it won't happen over night

Agree, but it must still be true that it is easier to prevent goals being scored against you, when you have possession of the ball and not the opposition! We don’t seem to be passing and moving with the ball as well as we did last season.

D

Deleted member 4184

Think Jimenez needs a long rest, looks knackered. Send him on holiday until the international break

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love that photo on your emoji, Bailey, Hibbitt, Richards.
I've got a mug with that photo on. Class!
Yeah it’s nice, when I chose it I had a feeling that someone else had used it on here years ago, not sure who though..

D

Deleted member 5635

Ah I love a bit of sarcasm, might as well list them in any order then if it doesn’t matter, Patricio left of a front 3 as he has the number 11. Shall we also not bother with the pre match thread as we don’t know anything until kickoff so no point discussing anything.(yes it’s silly and childish I know)

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Agree, but it must still be true that it is easier to prevent goals being scored against you, when you have possession of the ball and not the opposition! We don’t seem to be passing and moving with the ball as well as we did last season.
this is all true, like I said we just haven't been as efficient this season, although we seem to be getting there over the last 3 or 4 games, but the style isn't going to change any time soon. I like how we seem to be able to transition from 3-4-3 to 5-3-2 at will and back again atm

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought we were comfortable all afternoon. Great first goal and build up for the second.

Jonny, Boly, Saiss, Traore, Moutinho were all absolutely fantastic. Doherty had a very good game and still doesn't look fully fit IMO.

Neto went off because he was limping.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
AND we’ve just beaten a bottom half (rock bottom) team!

(We usually lose against those!!):rolleyes:

So we must be on the up now.:D

Come on MEE BABBIES!!

Or..as some mused during the close season, we could be beating the bottom teams but not doing so well against the top teams! ;)

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was during certain passages of play in the second half when, but for Rui, they could have got a goal and then who knows how it would have ended up. We let them have far too much possession at times - yes I know they did **** all with it for the most part - but it's not a tactic I like - although don't think we have a choice at the mo.

A common tactic this season for some reason. Great to get the 3 points but it could all be put back into terrible perspective against Man City if we try the same thing, sitting so deep. Although I don't think they will put 8 past us!

Back
Top Bottom