Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Verdict - Brighton V Wolves

stevev53

Reaction score
I dunno what to write. A win is a win. I think Brighton are gonna be right near the bottom, I am glad that they can be taken off the list of teams that are definitely better than us.

Lovely pass from Neves for the goal. Some good counter attacks, but to not score from any of them shows why we don't get many goals.

Our 6 man defence did well, helped out by Mwepu being the best of the bunch. Seriously I don't think Brighton would have scored if we played for 200 minutes.
Saiss my man of the match. He's completely proved me wrong this season. Neves lovely pass, good work rate. Some nice counters, but we should have a goal from one of those chances.
This is the first time I have been disappointed with our approach under Lage. I think how we ended the game was pointlessly negative. We are up against a covid hit defence, a team that doesn't look scoring and we spend the last 15 minutes putting men behind the ball? I can take this approach against man city but Brighton? We Great to have the points but dear God, please let this not be the future.
Sorry I think you were watching a different match to what I saw. We managed the game superbly and they never really looked like getting a goal

Wolvessince63

Reaction score
It’s the great debate isn’t it. It’s as clear as day that our shape is defensively heavy which is massively impacting our attacking play. How long can we continue to defend well and hope to nick the odd goal to grab a 1-0 win. Unfortunately we won’t progress that way so we have to find the balance.
Yes we have yet to find the fine balance or get in better players, but we are currently sitting eighth in the best league in the world so all is not so terrible.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They had a really good chance from 3 yards out which they really should have scored from

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa 7
Kilman 7
Coady 7
Saiss 8
Semedo 7.5
Neves 7
Moutinho 7
Marcal 7
Podence 7
Adama 8 MOTM
Trincao 6.5

Decent second half. Adama on crackling form, Saiss had a superb game, and Semedo is starting to win me over. We're in 8th place, and if you look at the clubs above us they're all minted and most (with the exception of Chelsea) are playing in >50k stadiums... we'm doing alright!

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry I think you were watching a different match to what I saw. We managed the game superbly and they never really looked like getting a goal
You see it as good game management. But I see it as a reason why we don't score many goals.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Made hard work of beating a very poor understrength Brighton although we did deserve to win overall. Thought Marcal played well considering he's been out for so long, Coady a rock again and Saiss M-O-M of course. An appalling miiss by Podence which would have settled the nerves a bit and Trincao the usual liability. Good games from Adama & Neves.

Last edited:

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where are all the negative posters from the first half, running down the team and individual players and the manager. You know who you are, makes me sick.
I made a comment "Hoddle Mk2". It was warranted in the first half, even despite the goal. Second half was much better.

Ironically, we couldn't score in the second half though, go figure.

But for a moment of brilliance from Neves, it would have been another awful corner that threatened nothing.

Like I said, much better second half. A thoroughly deserved W, defended stoutly which I've come to expect.

However we were painfully boring in the first half. We seem to have lost our identity entirely now. I couldn't tell you what our style is other than being tight at the back.

Even when we have the impetus going forward, the attacking players seem impotent when provided with an opportunity. If we could take our chances, we'd be a force but I can't see how that's gonna change.

Negatives: first half, weird short goal kicks to CB's who then lump it forward, Podence's finishing, Trincao's first half.

Positives: Trincao's second half, Adama's decision making, Neves' pass, Saïss' finish, defence tight as a drum, three points.

Merry ****ing Christmas.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good result. Poor first half but excellent goal by Saiss and assist by Neves. Good to see us attack so much better in the second half. Traore and Podence excellent and Trincao was decent. I thought Marcal did well and our defence looks very good. Good to get a much needed win. Saiss MOM.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great result. No wonder Adama's stats look poor if we can't take the sort of chances he created tonight. Pod was woeful. He missed several great chances and, at the end, didn't play in Fabio when he was in space having moved for the 1-2....

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First league game I’ve made in person for yonks and my son and I had to watch it from the home end in silence. However we were sat very close to the Wolves end, so our fantastic away support kept us thoroughly entertained. They were great but I hope those on trains are ok as the Southern services between Brighton and London are thoroughly ****ed up tonight.

As for the game, it was well worth sitting in the home end. After the first 30 mins or so I thought we played very well from front to back. Had a great view of the crossbar and post shots and the saves in between, and we should have won by 3-4 goals.

Loved the celebration at the end with the players and the crowd. UTW!

Bob Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
First thing I did when I woke up this morning was drop my (now ruined) phone down the toilet.

In the ensuing 15 hours, I've passed my driving test on the fourth attempt and FINALLY seen Wolves score!

I think we JUST about deserved the win. The 15 minute spell at the beginning of the second half was brilliant after a very damp opening. Thereafter we really weren't troubled. This was a million miles away from the Norwich and Leeds away games.

Delighted.
Congrats

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I made a comment "Hoddle Mk2". It was warranted in the first half, even despite the goal. Second half was much better.

Ironically, we couldn't score in the second half though, go figure.

But for a moment of brilliance from Neves, it would have been another awful corner that threatened nothing.

And most likely, the match would have ended 0-0.

Like I said, much better second half. A thoroughly deserved W, defended stoutly which I've come to expect.

However we were painfully boring in the first half. We seem to have lost our identity entirely now. I couldn't tell you what our style is other than being tight at the back.

Even when we have the impetus going forward, the attacking players seem impotent when provided with an opportunity. If we could take our chances, we'd be a force but I can't see how that's gonna change.

Negatives: first half, weird short goal kicks to CB's who then lump it forward, Podence's finishing, Trincao's first half.

Positives: Trincao's second half, Adama's decision making, Neves' pass, Saïss' finish, defence tight as a drum, three points.

Merry ****ing Christmas.

One of those matches where the 1-0 and 3 points masks much of the peformance. Not a total disaster, but keep that performance level going and it doesn't get you that many wins. Brighton totally off form, players out with Covid and injury. No sign of the handbrake being released, other that the first 10 or 15 minutes of the second half, mostly a sit back and counter kind of performance.

That first half, really was bad though, the commentators said it, media reports said it. It looked like two completely off form teams scared to take risks in order to avoid being caught out. And Brighton had looked the most likely, though they hadn't really threatened. It's common knowledge they have a goals scoring problem, too and much of the match did pan out like that, it wasn't pretty and barring that awful corner (in a match of many bad set pieces) that for once, we got a luck run of the ball on, would have been 0-0 as many suspected it would.

I think Brighton gave us more space in the second half as they pushed forward looking for the equaliser. And his helped our front 3 as they were crowded out for most of the first half. Second goal would have nice, but we mustn't get greedy.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As for the last few years we continue to play 8+3
The eight defensive players are a very good unit , but seem disconnected from our front three players .
This disconnect is all the more obvious without Jimenez.
Almost all of those front three are not good enough to score,
Hwang, Podence, Traore, Trincao and Silva could all be on the pitch for 24 hours and not score.
Whether that is the disconnect or the individual is difficult to tell. But not one of those arrived at Wolves with a decent recent past goal tally.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First league game I’ve made in person for yonks and my son and I had to watch it from the home end in silence. However we were sat very close to the Wolves end, so our fantastic away support kept us thoroughly entertained. They were great but I hope those on trains are ok as the Southern services between Brighton and London are thoroughly ****ed up tonight.

As for the game, it was well worth sitting in the home end. After the first 30 mins or so I thought we played very well from front to back. Had a great view of the crossbar and post shots and the saves in between, and we should have won by 3-4 goals.

Loved the celebration at the end with the players and the crowd. UTW!
So were Thameslink. Thankfully the staff weren't arsey so l am about to arrive into Victoria.... A quick ride up the Vic line and bed before midnight...

Hope that your son enjoyed the game.

waltononthehillwolf

Reaction score
good win and good performance 3 points during a spell when we need as many points as we can get - who cares about the shots and blah blah blah - its all about points... this team work hard against every team - its the premier league FFS - no team is a pushover or an easy game - we battle through as a unit... COYW

Merry ****ing Christmas :)

Bruno

Reaction score
Personally didn’t see much different from the last few matches, apart from we scrapped a goal. Great win though

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Think this game proves more than any game against city and liverpool ever could do, we lack finishing touch and being clinical. Fantastic result but had more than enough chances to finish the game. Had a number of 2 on 1s but didnt finish. Yet people think we should of played that way against city and Liverpool and should be scoring. This aint brunos fault. If they cant finish the chances we had this evening then what can you do

Back
Top Bottom