Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Verdict - Brighton V Wolves

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The first half was pretty abject and it was starting to look like our usual (recently) away performance until a moment of sheer class from Neves and Saiss.

Second half I think we started to take advantage of a makeshift Brighton team/system and should have put the game to bed by the hour mark.

What last night has showed is that we need to close the gap between the front 3 and the rest of the team in order to create more chances. How? I'm not sure. Some athleticism in midfield would 100% help and we need to play higher up the pitch to start with, does this mean a CB with pace too?

Not sure we need a CB with pace. When we play like we can, they’re already up around the half way line, and increasingly Kilman is playing it out to add variety to Coady’s ability to pass it long. I think the key is the midfield and forwards. After the first 20 mins first half, we started to weave them together and get the ball up the pitch. Second half, that was even more evident and effective. Just as our defence seem to have drilled an incredibly effective formation, so our midfield and forwards need to do the same. I think part of that will come from continuity in the starting 11 outside of defence, but longer term, from everyone knowing their part instinctively.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great 3 points. Solid defence but! We should be murdering **** sides like Brighton. Their only player for me that was a problem was Cucurella. Podence should have killed it.
Our hanging on to a one goal lead in the best of games makes a very nervy ending for players and fans alike .
I personally don't think that we were hanging on at the end, it was more that they were going for it, which put us under pressure and which was handled superbly, by our well drilled defensive formation.
This was excellently hilighted by Glen Hoddle, during his post match analysis, of our extremely well drilled squad.

Beer Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Terrible first 35 (both teams), sublime pass and good finish for the goal. Second half thought we played well, especially early on. Front 3 linked up really well, bit of luck and better finishing we win comfortably. Best Traore has played for ages and linked up superbly with Podence. Thought Trincao did well enough going forward but also helped Semedo out defensively well. Our defence is so good, keeper, back 3 and WBs all excellent.
Could you please post anything positive about Trincao on the unpopular opinions thread in future, to please some of our more myopic fans.

Admittedly he should have scored, but I thought he had a decent game, and tackled harder than we've been used to seeing. I think I saw an improvement.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Two injury and Covid depleted teams, with Brighton having the worst of it with 7 first team players out.

Awful first 30 minutes or so. Much better second 45 and should have been out of sight but, yet again, our forwards couldn’t score if they had free passes in a brothel. If we can’t score more than one v last night’s Brighton team then it still is a big problem for us.

Still, the most important thing is the scoreboard says 3 points.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could you please post anything positive about Trincao on the unpopular opinions thread in future, to please some of our more myopic fans.

Admittedly he should have scored, but I thought he had a decent game, and tackled harder than we've been used to seeing. I think I saw an improvement.
Trincao much like Podence and to a lesser point, Raul and Silva are players that need bodies in and around them. Trincao and Podence need to play with players close to them. When our back five have the ball, just glance at the final third. They are so isolated. Despite the solidarity we have built, we really need to transition into a back four side and get more bodies in the final third. We have too many good attacking players that can hurt teams to play as safe as we do.

Traore is the only one that I think gets away with it and probably allows us as a team too (certainly turned the game last night) because at times he has superhuman powers. Literally. And within seconds as a team we can transition further up the pitch.

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My reasoning on and after this match:-
1. It was a very satisfactory performance considering we played on Saturday the league leaders and had to travel a long way to the South. Saiss being the MOTH. The other players should get around 7, except Potence who should have made the match safe to Wolves.
2. After the match, I thought, that Wolves just need another 16 points from a total of 63 points still available, this would guarantee Wolves place in the premiership next season. After the collection of these 16 points than Wolves can focus on challinging for a place in the Europa or Conference Cup.
3. Considering that in 17 matches Wolves have only 14 goals against, and of which 4 of these goals came from penalties (Brentford, Spurs, Leeds, and City), therefore our defence has only been beaten 10 times from open play in these 17 matches. This shows the strength of our defence. We are just missing a few goals ourselves.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really dont get the negativity its crazy. 8th in the prem when people thought we could be relegated this season. See pundits from BT sport to TIFO youtube channel all saying Lage clearly a good manager who knows how to set a team up (while there views shouldnt be taken as gospel, when its a number of sources it is probably going to be accurate).
I cant believe we have reached the spoilt fanbase level already. Over the last 30yrs Wolves average position is midtable championship now fans are moaning we are 8th in the premier league.

Lage has had no backing from the board, had to take over directly after a popular manager, has had to adapt to a defensive style despite his only other job being extremely attacking (which shows great adaptability and pragmatism as a manager).
Brighton fans booing Potter when they were midtable prem. BRIGHTON!! they hadnt been in the top league forever and fans already booing. The modern football crowd is demanding titles all the time and every time, no patience or any kind of realism and understanding. Its all now now now.

While the attacking football is lacking at the moment when we are 3 on 1 in multiple occasions and the players cant score, what can the manager do?

We are 8th in the premier league, way higher than i thought, we were extremely unlucky against the two best teams in the world, so much so that they are slandering us in the media as they didnt enjoy playing us that much.
Cheer up people.
Very thoughtful and thought provoking.

Beer Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He means Ergo, the dynamic central midfielder that’s just about to transform our season when he joins us in the January window.

Res ipsa loquitur… obviously!!
I thought Ergo was a gorilla from Planet of the Apes.

He may prove useful when defending corners and hanging from the crossbar.

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got the result we wanted but the general style of play is the same as Nuno was having to play last year when jimenez wasn't available.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The first half was a tough watch until the last 5 minutes when we scored a cracking goal from a poor corner which rebounded to Neves who then made a 9 iron wedge pass to Saiss who casually volleyed home into the far corner with his weaker right foot, well taken and a typical Ruben inch perfect pass which took out the whole Brighton defence.
Second half we sterted brightly with Adama putting a ball through to Trincao who on his weaker right foot shot low to the goalies left but to close to find the net, Then it was that man again when Romain on his favoured left foot hit a wonderful strike against the near post with the goalie beaten, Then Daniel had a chance which he took a stride to far to make the angle to tight he really should have done better, Then Adama broke forward made a great pass to Daniel who again shot to close to the goalie, and our final what should have been a chance for Fabio who wanted a return ball from Daniel who opted to head towards the corner and lost the ball, had Daniel played in Fabio he woud have had only the goalie to beat who was yards off his line having been upfield.
All in all a good 3 points away from home not easy on the eye but its a results game, Defence was its usual organised self, midfield again hardworking which was not helped by what I consider to be our biggest failing which is we need to hold the ball up more when we clear our lines probably 70% of the time it comes straight back which puts us straight back in defensive mode. Up front nothing came off in the first half, second half much better Podence had a good game with very inteligent use of the ball apart from the final ball on the occasions mentioned above but he was creative, Now onto the two players who divide opinions most amongst us fans, Trincao I saw some small shoots of improvement from him holding onto the ball like it was on a string, running behind the defence ready for a through ball and tracking back well at times, give this kid time he is still young and learning a mans game in a foreign country in the toughest League in the world, now on to Adama the enigma, last night he used the ball well which is what we have been asking him to do for years and should have had at least 1 assist, also he tracked back well numerous times to help Marcal out when Brighton tried to overload on our left side if he produces more of last nights performance he will become undropable. Finally a word for the Ref who I thought had a good game for his first Premiership game he was a step up from the usual dross that we get from the more established men in the middle.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Average performance.

Great win.

I maintain we only ever look like creating a chance when Traore is on the pitch which is a worry.

Surprised by the scores Trincao has got off some people on this thread, I thought he was rubbish (again) and offered nothing. Gave the ball away so many times and missed a sitter, really struggling to see what he offers.
Really?
Neves made the goal Traore had no input there
His pass to Podence was awful really should have been 2 yards in front of him to run on to
I thought he had a decent game btw,but some of the comments are way off the mark for me
Trincao also played well second half,i thought all 3 of the forwards gelled much better in the half hour after the interval
Yes they maybe should have done better with the finishes but no one missed a sitter imo,Brighton on the other hand........

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Did anyone think we played better without Raul? Thought Podence was marvellous
Not necessarily because Raul didn’t play but it’s interesting to hear Bruno after the game say he didn’t play Fabio because he thought it might be too easy for Brighton to defend with a target striker. Playing three forwards instead of two forwards and a striker does work for us with the players we have.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really?
His pass to Podence was awful really should have been 2 yards in front of him to run on to
I thought he had a decent game btw,but some of the comments are way off the mark for me
Trincao also played well second half,i thought all 3 of the forwards gelled much better in the half hour after the interval
Yes they maybe should have done better with the finishes but no one missed a sitter imo,Brighton on the other hand........
I personally think that if the so called Brighton bad mid miss had been struck lower Sa would have saved it as the player had either to sky it or keep it low at a good height for Sa to save.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really?
Pod ****ed up completely and you blame Adama. Agenda much? Complete and utter *******s in my view.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
Pod ****ed up completely and you blame Adama. Agenda much? Complete and utter *******s in my view.
That limp shot right at the keeper when we had a 3-on-1 was terrible--right decision by Traore and a decent ball to him. That said, I like having Podence in the team--he really provides more attacking flair and impetus to our play. Some of it comes off and some of it doesn't, but he is always trying to get the ball moving into dangerous areas. Several times, he was frustrated by his teammates for not being braver and having an attacking mindset.

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Some guys behind me kept persevering with a song I hadn’t heard before. Using the tune of the old Karl Henry song:

He comes from Portugal
He’s better than Neville
Oh oh oh oh Semedo
Oh oh oh oh Semedo

It made me smile.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great 3 points. Solid defence but! We should be murdering **** sides like Brighton. Their only player for me that was a problem was Cucurella. Podence should have killed it.
Our hanging on to a one goal lead in the best of games makes a very nervy ending for players and fans alike .
They’ve only lost 2 of their last 10, before is. Very very stubborn team. Don’t talk about missing players as I’d say we had more vital players out when Hwang goes off that’s our top scorers from the last 4 seasons missing

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some guys behind me kept persevering with a song I hadn’t heard before. Using the tune of the old Karl Henry song:

He comes from Portugal
He’s better than Neville
Oh oh oh oh Semedo
Oh oh oh oh Semedo

It made me smile.
Like it but I dislike Neville too much to sing his name on a Matchday.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really dont get the negativity its crazy. 8th in the prem when people thought we could be relegated this season. See pundits from BT sport to TIFO youtube channel all saying Lage clearly a good manager who knows how to set a team up (while there views shouldnt be taken as gospel, when its a number of sources it is probably going to be accurate).
I cant believe we have reached the spoilt fanbase level already. Over the last 30yrs Wolves average position is midtable championship now fans are moaning we are 8th in the premier league.

Lage has had no backing from the board, had to take over directly after a popular manager, has had to adapt to a defensive style despite his only other job being extremely attacking (which shows great adaptability and pragmatism as a manager).
Brighton fans booing Potter when they were midtable prem. BRIGHTON!! they hadnt been in the top league forever and fans already booing. The modern football crowd is demanding titles all the time and every time, no patience or any kind of realism and understanding. Its all now now now.

While the attacking football is lacking at the moment when we are 3 on 1 in multiple occasions and the players cant score, what can the manager do?

We are 8th in the premier league, way higher than i thought, we were extremely unlucky against the two best teams in the world, so much so that they are slandering us in the media as they didnt enjoy playing us that much.
Cheer up people.

Well said Sir

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Cheer up people.

Good man !!

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Cheer up people.
Excellent post and SPOT ON!!!

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More than anything else, I’d love to know what Jeff’s verdict is on this game and this season in general.
Is he satisfied?
Having watched us win some great games in the first two PL seasons, makes me wonder if he likes what he’s currently seeing?
Surely he didn’t bring Bruno in just to watch us not score goals, etc. Is he having second thought or doubts with Bruno?
Ergo, what does he want?
He must be disappointed……..at least to some extent.
If he’s disappointed with this squad being 8th in the league but struggling to score goals then he needs to look at himself, not Bruno.

Back
Top Bottom