Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

U18 & U23 news and info...

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My mate said he didn't touch the ball once all game...he was so wide....he coped for quite a few elbows as well ......he said he was properly schooled in the fine arts of centre forward play....
As a big guy myself and a forward too, albeit in a different sport, I've used my bountiful belly and broad shoulders to great effect on many an occasion!!

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you will find that before this match they had recently picked up a few good results. Their form before that was dire.

Not sure about that, the previous 6 games read as 2 wins and 4 losses (one of those wins in a Friendly), but anyway an aside.

Lets be honest, 8/9 out of 10 times, our lads should be beating them. That said you don't win games on paper and we didn't play our best all round game, so put ourselves under pressure.

To be fair to Wolves though, they kept fighting, and the penalties under pressure (after the first 2 and the obvious crucial misses), were calm and of good quality considering the circumstances/pressure - all positives

Its also worth pointing out that this crop of u18s are also slightly younger than the crop from 2021/22 when we made it to the semis, a lot of those were 18 already at the same point in the season, 6 of the starting 11 last night were 17 or younger and the bench was younger still.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a big guy myself and a forward too, albeit in a different sport, I've used my bountiful belly and broad shoulders to great effect on many an occasion!!
Me mate laughs about it but he was quite complimentary about Quinn as a player.....He says I went from winning everything as a kid footballer to being chucked into a wolves reserve game at 17/18 and having to mark him and quickly realising that maybe football wasn't going to be this easy.....he said I was bruised and battered and left the pitch not touching the ball.....and this was a player coming back from injury......

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Palmi Arinbjornsson joining Vikingur on a perm 1st Jan

Not a surprise to be honest. I've never been overly confident when he's been in goal since he moved up to the u21s. Injuries and a loan with just a couple of appearances haven't helped.

Joe Young has done really well this season, James Storer & Stan Amos will be ok back ups and looking for game time to see how they can kick on. Behind them (in age) is the really promising Lewys Benjamin who is currently blocking the way of Lucas Kibrya & George Hardy in the u18s, so wouldn't be surprised if there is still more shuffling to be done, possibly with another loan for Joe Young

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Not a surprise to be honest. I've never been overly confident when he's been in goal since he moved up to the u21s. Injuries and a loan with just a couple of appearances haven't helped.

Joe Young has done really well this season, James Storer & Stan Amos will be ok back ups and looking for game time to see how they can kick on. Behind them (in age) is the really promising Lewys Benjamin who is currently blocking the way of Lucas Kibrya & George Hardy in the u18s, so wouldn't be surprised if there is still more shuffling to be done, possibly with another loan for Joe Young
Agree with that assessment

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saturdays win put the U21’s 12th out of 26 in the League Phase of PL2 and out of the 16 PL clubs involved, we stand 8th.

That is decent stuff all round.

Saturday's game was u18s @Kashmire Hawker. The u21s haven't played in the league since 4th December. However, you are correct the u21s are 12th (top 16 qualify for the end of season knockout)

Blackburn tonight who are bottom but not to be under estimated. They also haven't had a competitive fixture since 5th December so will either be well rested or a little rusty.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saturday's game was u18s @Kashmire Hawker. The u21s haven't played in the league since 4th December. However, you are correct the u21s are 12th (top 16 qualify for the end of season knockout)

Blackburn tonight who are bottom but not to be under estimated. They also haven't had a competitive fixture since 5th December so will either be well rested or a little rusty.
Thanks for clarifying.

Will keep an eye on this evening!

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've got the bham senior cup tomorrow so it'll be interesting to see who plays in which games.

I'd prefer u21s tonight and then u18s tomorrow

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thoughts on Chirewa playing but johnny otto omitted? No handshake and make up.

Footymum

Reaction score
Chirewa I'm sorry but training with the first team I expect a bit more from him but obviously he hasn't been playing any matches so can't be too harsh but I would expect to see him be able to do something in PL2 against bottom of the league

SuziQ

Reaction score
At least they are playing the same way as the first team..... sadly....

Yes. It's very slow with lots of wayward passes and they're trying to walk it into the net.

Just as I came to reply, they have actually scored.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I only saw the second half and usually I try to look for something positive but this time NOTHING. We were absolutely pathetic. I know a lot of time some of you praise James Collins but this was down to him and the poor coaching. Our body shape spells defeat. There only ever looked like one team wanted to play and it was not us. Never on the front foot, never in control of the ball, needing one or even two touches to slow the ball down to enable Blackburn to win it. Hardly threatening their goal. Overpasses, underpasses, loosing the ball.
Yes that is all down to poor coaching.
Sorry if I seem to be sitting on the fence on this one.:rolleyes:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I only saw the second half and usually I try to look for something positive but this time NOTHING. We were absolutely pathetic. I know a lot of time some of you praise James Collins but this was down to him and the poor coaching. Our body shape spells defeat. There only ever looked like one team wanted to play and it was not us. Never on the front foot, never in control of the ball, needing one or even two touches to slow the ball down to enable Blackburn to win it. Hardly threatening their goal. Overpasses, underpasses, loosing the ball.
Sounds just like the first team.....

Footymum

Reaction score
It wasn't our usual team, there's lots of changes no Jordao or Whittingham in the middle Essen is new to that position & Hesketh is usually more attacking as the 10 & obviously had to move out for Chirewa to come in but the usual team should have beat these & would have beat these but it's about development & learning let's hope the first team finish this year with a win

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It wasn't our usual team, there's lots of changes no Jordao or Whittingham in the middle Essen is new to that position & Hesketh is usually more attacking as the 10 & obviously had to move out for Chirewa to come in but the usual team should have beat these & would have beat these but it's about development & learning let's hope the first team finish this year with a win
Sorry but I dont think that is an excuse for poor running, sloppy passes, weak challenging etc.
If we want to maximise the potentialo of our youngsters we need a top class coach not a lower division journeyman.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Collins is an excellent coach for development football. Doesn’t always get it right but he’s done a very good job with our U21s. In my opinion of course.

Back
Top Bottom