Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Tommy Doyle

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doyle could probably play in front of Gomes & Lemina in a 4231/ 4213 sort of formation….

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought the same last night about rushing, I suppose it’s a fine line against a Brighton team with a high line and slow centre backs, you want the ball moving early and quickly to get the likes of Cunha and Neto onto it quickly.
Just to reassure everyone - that detailed pundit research did not come from the mouth of that tool Jenas!

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't know much about Doyle before we signed him, but I'm massively surprised how easily he's settled into life as a Premier League footballer. Doesn't look out of place one bit. His passing ability, range, vision, awareness, good set-pieces, can hit them from range, outstanding engine. Not the most combative or mobile midfielder you'll find, but certainly not afraid to put a foot in. Very much a Neves-lite, and at 22 has plenty of time to grow and become even better.

For £4m, incredible business really.

Let's hope Hobbs can continue to pull rabbits out of the hat!

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Getting better and better all the time.

Has a lot more energy than I initially thought, to go with his great passing range.

Be interesting to know if there's anyone who thinks we shouldn't take up the £4.3m option?!?
C'mon people, there must be someone out there.

We're waiting...

you know you want to admit it...

you'll feel better getting it off your chest ...

And your fellow Mixers will be gentle with you.....

honest.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doyle could probably play in front of Gomes & Lemina in a 4231/ 4213 sort of formation….

I was thinking the same, only way Doyle plays is if we switch to a back 4 and go 3 in midfield. Gomes and Lemina will always start ahead of him which seems unfair but that's how it's going to be while we're stuck with a 3.

I feel like 4-3-3 would also suit him well.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Funny … I’d have him in the middle of the three … but sitting a tiny bit deeper than the other two.
Lots of ways you could set up 3.
I’d always thought Lemina would be the natural central sitting midfielder, but now I’m actually thinking that role would be for Gomes.
I was just hypothesising that to get all 3 in you could play Doyle as almost a deep 10.

However we set up I think Doyle would be hard done by to not be a regular starter.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Interesting fact from the commentator last night.....

Doyle's paternal grandfather, Mike Doyle, and maternal grandfather, Glyn Pardoe, were former professional footballers and long-time teammates at Man City.

Both men played in the 1974 League Cup Final against Wolves.
That’s the new “did you know Kilman played futsal” comment!

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I couldn’t have been more impressed with Doyle, two footed, composure on the ball, crisp passing, spots a forward pass and a hammer of a shot off two feet.

£5m and £50+m in return for Nunes is daylight robbery!
Yes great deal. Hope the club have McAtee in mind to join him in the summer.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst he’s no box to box midfielder he’s suprised me with the engine on him. On the ball, he’s a rolls Royce of a player and as others have said he’s more Moutinho than Neves but what a pair of players to be compared to at his age.

I think with the 4 centre mids we have (excluding hodge) we have a nice mix of attributes in there.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I may have mentioned it on another thread, but a Manchester City supporting friend of mine thinks we took City to the cleaners with the deal that saw Nunes go there and Doyle join Wolves. He would rather have kept Doyle and give him a few games to see what he could do. Instead they have paid £50m for a bench warmer.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I may have mentioned it on another thread, but a Manchester City supporting friend of mine thinks we took City to the cleaners with the deal that saw Nunes go there and Doyle join Wolves. He would rather have kept Doyle and give him a few games to see what he could do. Instead they have paid £50m for a bench warmer.
Just proves that even Pep isn’t infallible

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doyle was my MOTM at Brentford (FA Cup) and Brighton. He's exceeded my expectations.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

A City mate of mine says the same

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's been very good for us in recent games, but, let's be real, he's nowhere near Man City level.

In terms of value, we've obviously got the better of the deal, but Nunes is a better player, and money doesn't really matter to City.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's been very good for us in recent games, but, let's be real, he's nowhere near Man City level.

In terms of value, we've obviously got the better of the deal, but Nunes is a better player, and money doesn't really matter to City.

Nunes a better player? Really.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nunes a better player? Really.

Yes, if you're judging them only on ability - by quite a distance as well. Not getting into the best midfield in the world doesn't mean he's a bad player.

If you're judging on what's the better deal - Nunes for £50m, Doyle for £4.5m, then obviously we have the better end of it, by some distance.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Yes, if you're judging them only on ability - by quite a distance as well. Not getting into the best midfield in the world doesn't mean he's a bad player.

If you're judging on what's the better deal - Nunes for £50m, Doyle for £4.5m, then obviously we have the better end of it, by some distance.
They are good at different things; Nunes better at carrying the ball and Doyle the better passer. On their day both can be match winners. On the other hand both can go missing. For value, Doyle wins hands down.

BrierleyHillWolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
They are good at different things; Nunes better at carrying the ball and Doyle the better passer. On their day both can be match winners. On the other hand both can go missing. For value, Doyle wins hands down.
nunes was very good at carrying the ball but didn't do it for 90 minutes

doyle i think is a 90 minute player

Topcat

Groupie
Reaction score
So, in a short space of time Tommy has got to be worth 20 mil currently and that’s being conservative. Not a bad piece of business at all if we trigger the deal.

The vultures will be circling!

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You feel with Tommy Doyle that he's genuinely committed to the cause, whereas Nunes would not leave it all on the pitch (to coin a phrase).

For me, Tommy Doyle can kiss the badge whereas Nunes can kiss my **** (to coin another one).

JJ59

Reaction score
Tommy reminds me of Johny Giles of Leeds Utd, not the biggest, superb passer and scored some cracking goals. Tommy for England!

Back
Top Bottom