Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Tommy Doyle

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember when people on here were having an absolute meltdown that we didn't sign Alex Scott for £20m......

Turned out alright didn't it?

We got Doyle for £5m, whereas Scott has been injured and done bugger all for Bournemouth.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember when people on here were having an absolute meltdown that we didn't sign Alex Scott for £20m......

Turned out alright didn't it?

We got Doyle for £5m, whereas Scott has been injured and done bugger all for Bournemouth.
Harsh and maybe a little unfair in my opinion. He's played 6 matches with 1 goal and 1 assist which is not a bad return.
From the recent highlights I've seen of him - looks impressive but a different type of player to Doyle.

Redrockwanderer

Reaction score
scott looks class hes been a good part of Bournemouth's positivity
I’ve watched a number of Bmth games and have to disagree a little… he’s a good player and no doubt has potential. However, I don’t think he’s played a massive role yet. Very raw talent.

Whereas, Doyle looks a more established player with equally the same potential. At an absolute bargain! He is developing more and more in each game… the Bmth game was turned by his substitute appearance in my view.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Harsh and maybe a little unfair in my opinion. He's played 6 matches with 1 goal and 1 assist which is not a bad return.
From the recent highlights I've seen of him - looks impressive but a different type of player to Doyle.
Not harsh at all. As you've said he's managed 6 matches. One of of which he was subbed off after being subbed on...

He may turn in to a great signing, but so far this season he's not been.

With our current lack of midfielders due to AFCON, Lemina's dad and Joao's suspension, relying on Scott would be far from ideal.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve watched a number of Bmth games and have to disagree a little… he’s a good player and no doubt has potential. However, I don’t think he’s played a massive role yet. Very raw talent.

Whereas, Doyle looks a more established player with equally the same potential. At an absolute bargain! He is developing more and more in each game… the Bmth game was turned by his substitute appearance in my view.
Thats fair, just feel the last 2 i have watched of scott, as he is coming back from a run of injuries he looks good. He will come good by end of next year there will be sure a lot of noise about him

Redrockwanderer

Reaction score
Thats fair, just feel the last 2 i have watched of scott, as he is coming back from a run of injuries he looks good. He will come good by end of next year there will be sure a lot of noise about him
Yeah I have no doubt he will be a good player. Being slightly biased… I would say we got the better deal with Doyle. Same potential but only for a steal at £5mil.

Loojay

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm happy with Doyle, but Scott is class. If he can stay injury free.

For the record, I think Doyle suits us better as we have loads of ball carriers already e.g. Cunha, Neto, Bellegarde

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Getting better and better all the time.

Has a lot more energy than I initially thought, to go with his great passing range.

Be interesting to know if there's anyone who thinks we shouldn't take up the £4.3m option?!?

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s become a really valuable player in this team. Some of his interceptions were pretty similar to how Ruben used to play in a low block.

He’s only going to get better and better at this rate.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The last 2 games he's had a habit of losing the ball in key areas. I actually thought he was poor first half last night, but much improved in the second.

He's almost a hybrid of Moutinho and Neves.

Gomes and Lemina still first choice IMO but he's certainly staked his claim

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The last 2 games he's had a habit of losing the ball in key areas. I actually thought he was poor first half last night, but much improved in the second.

I thought Lemina was more guilty of giving the ball away last night than Doyle. Especially first half but I guess that’s always going to happen when we are looking to move the ball quickly in tight defensive areas.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He's brave with his passing and it won't always come off, I agree he's behind Gomes and Lemina, but is a great understudy!

Reaction score

In the more difficult fixtures I think a midfield 3 of Lemina, Doyle, Gomes would work, with the pace of Cunha and Neto ahead of them for the counters.

I agree though, very impressed with Doyle, but Gomes and Lemina are my first choice

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
I thought Lemina was more guilty of giving the ball away last night than Doyle. Especially first half but I guess that’s always going to happen when we are looking to move the ball quickly in tight defensive areas.
This, it is so refreshing to see us trying to pass ourselves forward now, instead of the old way of backpassing ourselves forward :).

Sometimes it doesn't work naturally, but when it works... ooh-la-la...

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I thought everyone seemed in a bit of a rush to move the ball on, often resulting in us immediately losing possession again.

To me though, Doyle was much better at remaining a bit more composed second half and was the big difference to how we started to get more chances.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting fact from the commentator last night.....

Doyle's paternal grandfather, Mike Doyle, and maternal grandfather, Glyn Pardoe, were former professional footballers and long-time teammates at Man City.

Both men played in the 1974 League Cup Final against Wolves.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought everyone seemed in a bit of a rush to move the ball on, often resulting in us immediately losing possession again.

To me though, Doyle was much better at remaining a bit more composed second half and was the big difference to how we started to get more chances.
I thought the same last night about rushing, I suppose it’s a fine line against a Brighton team with a high line and slow centre backs, you want the ball moving early and quickly to get the likes of Cunha and Neto onto it quickly.

optimuswolf

Reaction score
He’s become a really valuable player in this team. Some of his interceptions were pretty similar to how Ruben used to play in a low block.

He’s only going to get better and better at this rate.
He has a lot of similarities with ruben. Not quite the same passing range, but similar 360 vision and decision making. And similar lack of pace!

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting fact from the commentator last night.....

Doyle's paternal grandfather, Mike Doyle, and maternal grandfather, Glyn Pardoe, were former professional footballers and long-time teammates at Man City.

Both men played in the 1974 League Cup Final against Wolves.
But like a pedigree dog or race horse, who was he 'out of'? We need to know.

:cool:

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've got to disagree with a few on here. For me, he's done enough the past few games to keep his place. It's now Joaos to win back off the bench. With Hwang and air nouri back, I really see this team being at its peak for this season, he really brings an other dimension to our play.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has a lot of similarities with ruben. Not quite the same passing range, but similar 360 vision and decision making. And similar lack of pace!
Hes not the quickest i agree but hes not slow either and covers a lot of ground
I think hes done a great job filling in for Gomes ,who will always be a rash challenge from a red,hes just that type of player
Doyle is much calmer and just does the simple things very well

optimuswolf

Reaction score
He's got some similarities to Ruben, but his all-round game is a lot closer to Moutinho.
Yes i guess thats where I was going with the 360 vision.

Honestly mouts was the first midfielder I can recall wolves having in my 40 years who was genuinely aware of everything around him.

If doyle can be anywhere near as good as moutinho....

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Getting better and better all the time.

Has a lot more energy than I initially thought, to go with his great passing range.

Be interesting to know if there's anyone who thinks we shouldn't take up the £4.3m option?!?
Probably Pep

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see any way on this planet we don't take up the option on him so relax. He's going to turn out to be the bargain of the decade

Ditton Wolf

Reaction score
I've got to disagree with a few on here. For me, he's done enough the past few games to keep his place. It's now Joaos to win back off the bench. With Hwang and air nouri back, I really see this team being at its peak for this season, he really brings an other dimension to our play.
Got to agree with you there. He has been consistent in his performances since Gomes suspension. Good engine and always looking to move the ball forward. Thought he was MOM for us last night.

It will be harsh if he's dropped when Gomes is back.

Back
Top Bottom