Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Tommy Doyle

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A brief look at the Sheff Utd forum - seems that their fans would prefer to sign McAtee over Doyle...
I live in Sheffield. They're unanimous in wanting McAtee over Doyle. But I don't know which player is necessarily better, it might just be that Doyle is more of a holding whereas McAtee is an attacking midfielder and so catches the eye more?

Not the sort of player we're crying out for but probably a good acquisition. Welcome to the mad house kidda.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ormstein saying it’s a LOAN with a £5mil option.
A £5m loan option for a player reportedly valued at £15m seems like great business, not even an obligation so we can send him back if he's crap and / or we get relegated and need to cut our cloth accordingly.

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
city aren't stupid. if he was good enough pep would have kept him but i am sure he is OK
Nah, citeh’s academy is for generating funds. This is absolutely their model. Foden is the one exception in a long line of players who will be sold to help pay for some of their superstars. Look at how much Citeh just made from the Lavia deal - another kid that apparently a year ago was “never gonna be good enough for Citeh”

T

TheConcourse

From various youtube highlights he looks like an intelligent, tidy midfielder, with a good ability on the ball and an eye for a good pass. Apparently has got a good shot on him and can score from a free kick. Not a ball carrier though... Wonder if and how we're going to replace Nunes' ability in that matter.
Curious about whether we’ve been hoodwinked into thinking a ball carrier is necessary. It would be great to have, but I’m not sure there are many in the PL tbh.

Even looking at Guimares and Joelinton at Newcastle. Combative, great energy, strong runners, good passers of the ball. Don’t recall either beating players for fun.

Kamara, McGinn, Luiz at Villa are feel like they’re in a similar mold.

We really need CM’s who can move forward to support attacks, and do the progressive stuff on the ball that gets us into promising positions.

That’s my two cents anyway.

Give me a strong passer of a ball who is athletic over a guy who beats four men once or twice a game every day of the week.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Curious about whether we’ve been hoodwinked into thinking a ball carrier is necessary. It would be great to have, but I’m not sure there are many in the PL tbh.

Even looking at Guimares and Joelinton at Newcastle. Combative, great energy, strong runners, good passers of the ball. Don’t recall either beating players for fun.

Kamara, McGinn, Luiz at Villa are feel like they’re in a similar mold.

We really need CM’s who can move forward to support attacks, and do the progressive stuff on the ball that gets us into promising positions.

That’s my two cents anyway.

Give me a strong passer of a ball who is athletic over a guy who beats four men once or twice a game every day of the week.
Theres a good sky article detailing how due to changing systems Pep is looking to be one step ahead of the game.

Expect Nunes to thrive for Pep and everyone else to follow suit a year later as they did with the whole full back sitting in front of the back 3 tactic.

Pep did it with Cancelo, Arteta started using Zinchenko the same way, Klopp with Trent by which point Pep has sold Cancelo and moved to a back 3.

The man is a genius like it or not

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A £5m loan option for a player reportedly valued at £15m seems like great business, not even an obligation so we can send him back if he's crap and / or we get relegated and need to cut our cloth accordingly.
We got gomes, we got boubs....Who here really thought this squad was missing another young holding player?
I'd be the same about if we'd have got McAtee as we're full to the brim of left footed wide forwards/attacking midfielders/wingers.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's probably the best statement to sum up our current transfer strategy .

Least promising prospects . A little like Gary O'Neil a least promising manager ( just my opinion )

It is like some people shopping at Next for clothing where as we have a £5 gift card for Pep and Co at Poundland.
Ooh next! Classy.

T

TheConcourse

Theres a good sky article detailing how due to changing systems Pep is looking to be one step ahead of the game.

Expect Nunes to thrive for Pep and everyone else to follow suit a year later as they did with the whole full back sitting in front of the back 3 tactic.

Pep did it with Cancelo, Arteta started using Zinchenko the same way, Klopp with Trent by which point Pep has sold Cancelo and moved to a back 3.

The man is a genius like it or not
I’m not entirely sure he’ll use Nunes as anything other than a CM. I also expect he’ll be surprised about how much awareness he lacks on the ball.

You can definitely press Nunes and win the ball back. He’ll have to learn a lot at City.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably mentioned already but the Grandson of Mike Doyle and Glyn Pardoe-
City legends who played against us in the League Cup Final in 1974
Didn’t Glyn Pardoe score the winner in the final against the **** in 73 ?
Still , at least they didn’t lose to 3rd division opposition at Wembley that day

D

Deleted member (smith)

city aren't stupid. if he was good enough pep would have kept him but i am sure he is OK
It’s the old catch 22…we are only able to get them if they aren’t good enough for a top six side. If they are good enough they will leave.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That should always be the plan for us. We’re not a club in a position to be buying finished articles.. unless their potential isn’t all that great in the first place.
We were? Much of Nuno's team were 'finished articles' when they arrived: Patricio, Boly, Saiss, Jonny, Neves, Jota, Jimenez, Traore, Moutinho - that's pretty much a full team. Your comment, which sadly is pretty much true, shows just how far we've declined as a Club. Gone in a few short seasons from Europe to relegation candidates. Sad.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were? Much of Nuno's team were 'finished articles' when they arrived: Patricio, Boly, Saiss, Jonny, Neves, Jota, Jimenez, Traore, Moutinho - that's pretty much a full team. Your comment, which sadly is pretty much true, shows just how far we've declined as a Club. Gone in a few short seasons from Europe to relegation candidates. Sad.
I wouldn’t say Saiss, Boly, Neves, Jota or Traore were finished articles when we signed them.. maybe for the Championship, but they all made the step up.

Moutinho and Patricio will always be the signings that blew my mind the most.. having just won the Euro’s also that summer.. Halcyon days.

Raul.. I think although he clearly was the finished article, was a risk because he hadn’t been starting much Benfica.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say Saiss, Boly, Neves, Jota or Traore were finished articles when we signed them.. maybe for the Championship, but they all made the step up.

Moutinho and Patricio will always be the signings that blew my mind the most.. having just won the Euro’s also that summer.. Halcyon days.

Raul.. I think although he clearly was the finished article, was a risk because he hadn’t been starting much Benfica.
Nit-picking there Wolf? We'd be beside ourselves if we were signing these types of players today? We just can't anymore.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nit-picking there Wolf? We'd be beside ourselves if we were signing these types of players today? We just can't anymore.
Not on purpose no.. I just don’t think those players arrived with much more pedigree than the signings we’ve been making the last 12 months.. Cunha is a Brasil international.. Gomes has been touted as a future one.. Nunes and Guedes came with far more supposed pedigree than Neves and Jota when they came.

I just think we had a top coach, a togetherness and a way of playing back then that got the best out of players. Plus - Jota and Neves in the Championship was ridiculous. But Doyle was also deemed “too good for the championship” last season also.. so he’s not a huge risk for us.

And as I said.. Moutinho and Patricio blew my mind when we signed them. For a moment, I believed we were serious about top 4 ambitions.

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Not exactly nit-picking is it though, you named 9 players and he disagreed with 5 of them (a couple of those are arguable admittedly). Maybe all those people who slag Mendes off at every opportunity should remember why all those players came though.

Back
Top Bottom