Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Todays games - the World Cup edition.

Middlesex Mixer

Groupie
Reaction score
I see Southgate is "conflicted" about continuing .He has done an outstanding job picking us up after the Iceland ✓Euros 2016 debacle.So turning us into genuine contenders is a massive achievement.

However I hope he stands down - the only advance in this world cup was to pick Bellingham but only a blind Villa supporter wouldnt have found room for him.Imo he needed to find a system to accommodate greasy and he was way too cautious for that.His loyalty to Sterling was another blind spot.

I would also have picked Ramsdale over Pickford.

Defensively he had a weak hand to play -a major priority for the next four years.

So give him his knighthood and let's move on (staying with an English manager is a given).

Come on Morocco.
Just read in today’s online Telegraph that Southgate is seriously considering his position. He is quoted as mentioning reasons to quit: “What’s been said and what’s been written, the night at Wolves, there’s lots of things in my head that’s really conflicted at the moment.” Is he blaming us???!!!

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There IS no English manager to step in if he goes, though. Potter won't leave Chelsea, Howe won't leave Newcastle. Lampard, Gerrard? Gary O'Neil? Rooney? It's a wasteland. It's Southgate or a foreign manager. To be honest, if he decides to step down we're a bit stumped.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ironic that it's us who have made him go, after the turgid ****e we've watched all season with Wolves, with barely any unrest against a manager/ Fosun.
England was a breath of fresh air in comparison.
The 2 people we have forced out, is the England manager, and someone with absolute no control at the club,

Last edited:

George AlooGobi

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just read in today’s online Telegraph that Southgate is seriously considering his position. He is quoted as mentioning reasons to quit: “What’s been said and what’s been written, the night at Wolves, there’s lots of things in my head that’s really conflicted at the moment.” Is he blaming us???!!!

I nearly lost a job once because of a night out in Wolves

What happened with Southgate?

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i might be seeing it wrong - but all the other countries that have gone out, managers immediately chopped/leaving/mutual consent etc

we are letting him choose (i know he has a deal through 2024 but still...)

am i wrong in thinking if we had a more elite mentality we wouldnt be allowing him to make the decision? i just feel its weak on the FAs part

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There IS no English manager to step in if he goes, though. Potter won't leave Chelsea, Howe won't leave Newcastle. Lampard, Gerrard? Gary O'Neil? Rooney? It's a wasteland. It's Southgate or a foreign manager. To be honest, if he decides to step down we're a bit stumped.
Disagree -Southgate managed Middlesboro who got relegated from the prem and then was the England u21 manager so Howe,Gerrard or Lamps are at least on a par .The current u21 manager is Irish (Carsley with Ashley Cole as the assistant).I

It would be an embarrassment to appoint a foreign manager unless you want a rerun of the Eriksson pantomime or the disaster that was Capello the spitter(allegedly spat in Lofty Parkes face in our Eufa cup qf with Juventus).

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disagree -Southgate managed Middlesboro who got relegated from the prem and then was the England u21 manager so Howe,Gerrard or Lamps are at least on a par .The current u21 manager is Irish (Carsley with Ashley Cole as the assistant).I

It would be an embarrassment to appoint a foreign manager unless you want a rerun of the Eriksson pantomime or the disaster that was Capello the spitter(allegedly spat in Lofty Parkes face in our Eufa cup qf with Juventus).

It'll be Poch if it's a foreign manager (personally don't rate him)

Maybe Dyche if you're staying English

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How about Beale.....or is he waiting for the France, Brazil or solar system jobs?

W

WasStefan

I said earlier in this thread, on balance Southgate should probably stay on till 2024 which is only in 18 months. It will be the same cycle of players bar 1 or 2 breaking through.

The real cycle change comes in readiness for 2026, with many players ageing, Walker, Henderson, Stones, Maguire and maybe Shaw being replaced or retiring. That’s 5 new players in the outfield that need moulding and that should be the new managers objective.

The rest of the front 5 we should be fine with as theyre either young or dont rely on pace (Kane, Grealish) with Sterling being the only one that may not be in that 2026 squad.

And with a likely UK & Ireland euros in 2028 would mean a new manager from now being in place for 6 years. Not ideal. From 2024 is more logical, giving him the world cup 2026 and then euro 2028.

Last edited by a moderator:

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Ironic that it us who have made him go, after the turgid ****e we've watched all season with Wolves, with barely any unrest against a manager/ Fosun.
England was a breath of fresh air in comparison.
The 2 people we have forced out, is the England manager, and someone with absolute no control at the club,
Weird night that one. Only a Nations League game but the fans that went treated the team and Southgate like crap. Thought at the time the reaction was well over the top.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Weird night that one. Only a Nations League game but the fans that went treated the team and Southgate like crap. Thought at the time the reaction was well over the top.
Thankfully I didn't go, but if the crowd having a moan after a 4-0 defeat to Hungary is enough to make him jack it in, then maybe he should go. He won't have great offers though, so I very much doubt he'll jump or be pushed. I think the managers who have left knew before hand that they were going without a good performance. Belgium and Spain definitely underachieved for example. England went out exactly where most would have predicted, although getting closer to beating France than many would have imagined. I'd definitely give him the Euros.

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Thankfully I didn't go, but if the crowd having a moan after a 4-0 defeat to Hungary is enough to make him jack it in, then maybe he should go. He won't have great offers though, so I very much doubt he'll jump or be pushed. I think the managers who have left knew before hand that they were going without a good performance. Belgium and Spain definitely underachieved for example. England went out exactly where most would have predicted, although getting closer to beating France than many would have imagined. I'd definitely give him the Euros.
Same, missed that one. They can have a moan but "you don't know what you're doing" and a few other unsavoury comments and chants is a bit personal for a glorified friendly. Should've just supported the team even if it was a wretched performance on the day.

I think he's earned the right continue but if he's already having second thoughts, might be best to call it a day.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s a weirdo to say the least. Messaged me some random stuff, clearly has issues in his personal life
Thank god it’s not just me I thought I was special for a :cool: minute

I dont think I’ve ever blocked anyone on here, I may have to make an exception for asthmatic though!

Used to be a great site this did, but the petty sniping is indicative of today’s society

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just re use the classic one we sang to Pearce for hours at forest in the 3rd round obviously replacing Pearce with Harry
Harry lost the world cup
Harry lost the World Cup
Na na na
Na na na
Harry lost the World Cup
He's thick, he dives, his pens still in the sky Harry Kane, Harry Kane

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

TBH I don't think he'd leave because he wants better offer.

Hopefully he goes back into the youth development/ players director role he did before.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think it's time for change, especially if Southgate's motivation to continue is in doubt. He's a limited manager when the desire is there. Yes, a final and semi-final are tangible achievements, but he has squandered perhaps the most generous run of fixtures of any England manager, and what was virtually a home tournament in 2020. Beating Colombia, Sweden, Ukraine, Denmark, Senegal and a German side in massive decline, is little to write home about. Saiss' lot have bested tougher nations in one tournament! Whenever we faced a competent side we've inevitably lost, and usually through poor in-game management.

That said, I don't think he did an awful lot wrong this time. But I was struck by old-school 'nostalgic' disappointment on Saturday that I hadn't felt for several years, the sort that heralded the end of Erikssen, Capello and Hodgson - the feeling that the manager has taken England as far as he can.

Last edited:

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The problem with Southgate is that he does not seem to learn from his mistakes. All three big games we have lost against Croatia, Italy and now France were due to his negative tactics.

In all three games when we attacked the opposition we looked the stronger side, but he is just too cautious. He cannot take us to that next level.

So yes it’s a gamble, but we need to make a change.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem with Southgate is that he does not seem to learn from his mistakes. All three big games we have lost against Croatia, Italy and now France were due to his negative tactics. In all three games when we attacked the opposition we looked the stronger side, but he is just too cautious. He cannot take us to that next level. So yes it’s a gamble, but we need to make a change.
I'm not so sure that he was negative per se against France. We dominated every attacking statistic (albeit France's plan is to counter attack). The problem with Southgate is it's always predictable, like-for-like subs and tactical inflexibility; he doesn't have a Plan B as such.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Feel like banging my head against a brick wall listening to Danny Mills on TalkSport.

Utter, utter moron.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Southgate has to go now imo.

What an incredible opportunity to get tuchel in - a quality, proven manager.

W

WasStefan

Don't know where to start.

Just blind loyalty to his big mate Southgate. A total lack of context and reasoning.
From what i’ve heard TalkSPORT has offered literally no balance against the Southgate should go argument. So it’s about time they had someone on who backs him.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From what i’ve heard TalkSPORT has offered literally no balance against the Southgate should go argument. So it’s about time they had someone on who backs him.

Because they couldn't find a caller who wanted him to stay.

I don't mind a counter argument, but Mills has sprouted non stop *******s.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still scarred by that Capello 2010 World Cup.

England Job for the English.

Sorry, but that's utter tripe.

Imagine ignoring brilliant managers on the back of one example/tournament. Roy Hodgson is English. Euro 2016 was equally as grim as 2010, if not worse. Same with 2014.

If Southgate walks and Tuchel is interested in the job it would be madness to ignore him on the basis he was born in Krumbach rather than Kettering.

W

WasStefan

Because they couldn't find a caller who wanted him to stay.

I don't mind a counter argument, but Mills has sprouted non stop *******s.
Those who shout loudest shout longest and all that. Plus theyre only letting people on air who are falling in line with their narrative. Everything i’ve seen has been pretty even between him staying or leaving

The only person i’d take over Southgate (although i’d have to hold my nose as hes an Argie) is Poch. Maybe Tuchel.

I don’t see the point/ who else you could replace him with.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Sorry, but that's utter tripe.

Imagine ignoring brilliant managers on the back of one example/tournament. Roy Hodgson is English. Euro 2016 was equally as grim as 2010, if not worse. Same with 2014.

If Southgate walks and Tuchel is interested in the job it would be madness to ignore him on the basis he was born in Krumbach rather than Kettering.
I wouldn't disagree. But what I would suggest is that with the money they've put into St George's and trying to develop coaches, it's seen as a failure to appoint a foreign one. Not saying that's a good reason, but it's probably a big factor at the FA.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Those who shout loudest shout longest and all that. Plus theyre only letting people on air who are falling in line with their narrative. Everything i’ve seen has been pretty even between him staying or leaving

The only person i’d take over Southgate (although i’d have to hold my nose as hes an Argie) is Poch. Maybe Tuchel.

I don’t see the point/ who else you could replace him with.

There's zero chance the FA sack him, but if he walks then obviously we have to replace him.

So hypothetically speaking for now - Pochettino/Tuchel are the stand out candidates and would be a clear upgrade.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i might be seeing it wrong - but all the other countries that have gone out, managers immediately chopped/leaving/mutual consent etc

we are letting him choose (i know he has a deal through 2024 but still...)

am i wrong in thinking if we had a more elite mentality we wouldnt be allowing him to make the decision? i just feel its weak on the FAs part
Not everyone sees it as you do. I'd be perfectly happy to let him see out his contact.

Maybe those allowing GS to make his own mind up have looked at the last 6 years and seen a Nations League SF, a World Cup SF, a Euro Final and an unfortunate narrow exit in the QF v the World Champions... and thought, it could be a lot worse.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't disagree. But what I would suggest is that with the money they've put into St George's and trying to develop coaches, it's seen as a failure to appoint a foreign one. Not saying that's a good reason, but it's probably a big factor at the FA.

Pretty grim thought process if true. Surely picking the best overall candidate is priority number 1?

I've a feeling Southgate will walk. Which means we'd almost have to appoint a foreign coach on the basis there is no English coach right now realistically available/good enough unless I'm forgetting someone.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All current English managers are crap. Maybe Eddie Howe is the exception.

Just because Capello and Sven under-achieved, doesn't mean foreign coaches can't succeed in the job. Correlation not causation.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All current English managers are crap. Maybe Eddie Howe is the exception.

Just because Capello and Sven under-achieved, doesn't mean foreign coaches can't succeed in the job. Correlation not causation.

Not even sure Sven did. Only lost 1 game inside 90 minutes, to an exceptional Brazil side. And was ridiculously unlucky with an unplayable Rooney in 2004 getting injured, and again before the 2006 WC. Still only going out on bloody penalties both times. I certainly think we'd have won in 2004 had fate not intervened.

Our problem then was the drop off in quality from the first 11 in all areas other than CB.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not everyone sees it as you do. I'd be perfectly happy to let him see out his contact.

Maybe those allowing GS to make his own mind up have looked at the last 6 years and seen a Nations League SF, a World Cup SF, a Euro Final and an unfortunate narrow exit in the QF v the World Champions... and thought, it could be a lot worse.
oh absolutely, everyones opinion is valid :)

i also dont disagree with your points, absolutely right as well. i always try to look at both sides of the coin which leads to my initial post

Back
Top Bottom