Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Todays games - the World Cup edition.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Those who shout loudest shout longest and all that. Plus theyre only letting people on air who are falling in line with their narrative. Everything i’ve seen has been pretty even between him staying or leaving

The only person i’d take over Southgate (although i’d have to hold my nose as hes an Argie) is Poch. Maybe Tuchel.

I don’t see the point/ who else you could replace him with.

Someone who could get us to win a top 15 country in a World Cup competition. He has failed to do this in 2 World Cups.
Someone who has had mixed feelings about leading his country for the last 18 months, needs to resign and we need to get someone who can take the pressure and has no doubts.
Luis Enrique said the day after Spain were knocked out of the World cup, that he needed time to think about his future. He was sacked the next day.

W

WasStefan

Someone who could get us to win a top 15 country in a World Cup competition. He has failed to do this in 2 World Cups.
Someone who has had mixed feelings about leading his country for the last 18 months, needs to resign and we need to get someone who can take the pressure and has no doubts.
Luis Enrique said the day after Spain were knocked out of the World cup, that he needed time to think about his future. He was sacked the next day.
So who?

W

WasStefan

A few have been mentioned but you can't manage your country with doubts about doing so.
Agree with that, maybe he was speaking in haste after losing a game he thinks they should have won

I see the FA are worried he may walk, so maybe he will

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with that, maybe he was speaking in haste after losing a game he thinks they should have won

I see the FA are worried he may walk, so maybe he will

He could want to get the sack, so he gets paid. No reason to mention the doubts publicly. His job is now untenable.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Untenable? complete nonsense

Want to get the sack? doesn’t come across that type but who knows.

Saying that something like fans booing you and not feeling wanted has affected you for the last 18 months, makes a job as an English manager untenable.
It is an open admission that the pressure has got to you. You can't carry on after that statement.
You rather resign, or get sacked. Getting sacked will mean he will get paid till 2024.

W

WasStefan

Saying that something like fans booing you and not feeling wanted has affected you for the last 18 months, makes a job as an English manager untenable.
It is an open admission that the pressure has got to you. You can't carry on after that statement.
Admitting you are stressed makes your job untenable? Ok mate

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
0cddcdb4dd441699953905e290f8e78e652230b29252c17f8e08ad6b0c0b3562.jpg

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Admitting you are stressed makes your job untenable? Ok mate

No, admitting it has got to you for the last 18 months and it makes you doubt wanting to carry on , does make his job untenable.
Maybe to be given a job with less pressure by the FA, where he doesn't have to deal with the same pressure.

Last edited:

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Southgate is under pressure ? don't make me laugh, if his multi million pound job with massive perks is just a tad too much for his delicate persona perhaps he'd do better getting an ordinary job. I think he's a complete and utter berk.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry, but that's utter tripe.

Imagine ignoring brilliant managers on the back of one example/tournament. Roy Hodgson is English. Euro 2016 was equally as grim as 2010, if not worse. Same with 2014.

If Southgate walks and Tuchel is interested in the job it would be madness to ignore him on the basis he was born in Krumbach rather than Kettering.
You can't beat a spot of alliteration to solidify an argument. :smile:

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How is Southgate having the cheek to say 'the night at Wolves' as though the fans were in the wrong.

It has to be up there as one of the worst results in England's history. He was genuinely lucky not to get sacked that night and he's bringing it up in search for sympathy! Incredible.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How is Southgate having the cheek to say 'the night at Wolves' as though the fans were in the wrong. It has to be up there as one of the worst results in England's history. He was genuinely lucky not to get sacked that night and he's bringing it up in search for sympathy! Incredible.
TBF to him he said, "the night at Wolves" which could refer to the unacceptable result and performance from his players. Every fan at Molineux was justified in booing them, and they'd still have been booed off were the game at Wembley. It looked for all the world that Southgate had lost the dressing room around that six game winless streak - even if he managed to salvage team spirit for the World Cup, that may still be something that's playing into his deliberations.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not even sure Sven did. Only lost 1 game inside 90 minutes, to an exceptional Brazil side. And was ridiculously unlucky with an unplayable Rooney in 2004 getting injured, and again before the 2006 WC. Still only going out on bloody penalties both times. I certainly think we'd have won in 2004 had fate not intervened.

Our problem then was the drop off in quality from the first 11 in all areas other than CB.
Agreed

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All current English managers are crap. Maybe Eddie Howe is the exception.

Just because Capello and Sven under-achieved, doesn't mean foreign coaches can't succeed in the job. Correlation not causation.
This is a fair point but has any other major footballing nation had a foreign coach and has it worked (can only think of Belgium and that clearly didn’t)?

Can’t help but feel that a national will share and inspire that sense of national pride which can feed in to the performances eg: Morocco, and can make the difference in the big games and moments.

That said I can’t see Gareth doing that which is perhaps one of the problems.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure about the argument about a English manager
Does that mean we should only have a local lad to manage the Wolves Black Country boy or nobody. Makes no sense , pick the best candidate

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure about the argument about a English manager
Does that mean we should only have a local lad to manage the Wolves Black Country boy or nobody. Makes no sense , pick the best candidate

It is supposed to be a national team, the players have to be from that nation so why not the manager? Seems pretty sad that a country that invented the game can't find a candidate.

SingleMalt

Reaction score
It is supposed to be a national team, the players have to be from that nation so why not the manager? Seems pretty sad that a country that invented the game can't find a candidate.
Serious question, who was the last English manager to win a major trophy?

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I stand to be corrected but pretty sure I read a stat earlier that against top 10 ranking opposition Southgate has one 4 out of 24 matches.

If we ultimately want to win something, every other metric is largely irrelevant.

I have no idea who should replace him, but I simply ain’t buying this bull**** narrative that we over achieved the last few years. Every single meaningful game we were not favourites in we have lost. Even the 50/50 ones I can’t remember us winning one.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I stand to be corrected but pretty sure I read a stat earlier that against top 10 ranking opposition Southgate has one 4 out of 24 matches.

If we ultimately want to win something, every other metric is largely irrelevant.

I have no idea who should replace him, but I simply ain’t buying this bull**** narrative that we over achieved the last few years. Every single meaningful game we were not favourites in we have lost. Even the 50/50 ones I can’t remember us winning one.
If the bar is just clearing the previous, lower, bar, we will never win anything

SingleMalt

Reaction score
Wilkinson at Leeds?

Not sure if Roy Hodgson won anything whilst abroad but he was a good manager offshore
Good shout, he apparently won the danish league and supercup in 2001.

But we don’t want him back in charge. He was ****.

SingleMalt

Reaction score
I’ve been Googling…
The last six English managers to win a major trophy in England are:
Ron Atkinson 1994 League Cup
Roy Evans 1995 League Cup
Joe Royle 1995 FA Cup
Brian Little 1996 League Cup
Steve McLaren 2004 League Cup
‘Arry Redknapp 2008 FA Cup

What a load of dross!

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good shout, he apparently won the danish league and supercup in 2001.

But we don’t want him back in charge. He was ****.
He managed that great inter team too with R9 Baggio and Vieri, think he may have got Swiss to first World Cup but may be wrong

Woy was woeful for England but overall I think he’s an underrated English manager he did well at Palace too

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve been Googling…
The last six English managers to win a major trophy in England are:
Ron Atkinson 1994 League Cup
Roy Evans 1995 League Cup
Joe Royle 1995 FA Cup
Brian Little 1996 League Cup
Steve McLaren 2004 League Cup
‘Arry Redknapp 2008 FA Cup

What a load of dross!
Foreign manager it is then

SingleMalt

Reaction score
He managed that great inter team too with R9 Baggio and Vieri, think he may have got Swiss to first World Cup but may be wrong

Woy was woeful for England but overall I think he’s an underrated English manager he did well at Palace too
I actually liked him at club level. I remember hoping we’d sack Mick and get Hodgson in when he left Fulham.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just do not get the need for a poor manager cause he is English, must be me

Back
Top Bottom