Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Todays games - the World Cup edition.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Defenders:
Luke Mbete - City
Levi Colwill - Chelsea
Luke Thomas - Leicester
Callum Doyle - City
Livramento - Southampton

Midfielders/Wingers
Sam Edozie - Southampton
Harvey Vale - Chelsea
Aaron and Jacob Ramsey - Villa
Carney Chukwuemeka - Chelsea
Leo Castledine - Chelsea
Kobbie Mainoo - Utd
Jobe Bellingham - Blues
Harvey Elliot - Liverpool
Cole Palmer - City
James McAtee - City
Noni Madueke - PSV

Forwards
Liam Delap - City
Joe Gelhardt - Leeds

Dont know anything about any good keepers coming through, only 3 names I could think of would be James Trafford on loan at Bolton, Joe Bursik at Stoke and Etienne Green at Saint Etienne (who can play for France)

Our striker situation like at Wolves is more or less dire.
Out the lot Harvey Vale and Leo Castledine are ment to be amazing talents. Whether or not they get the right game time at Chelsea is the key thing there.

Edozie looked great against us for Southampton earlier this season.

Charlie Patino (Arsenal midfielder on loan at Blackpool) is another real talent.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our xG was 2.36 to 1.03 I think. But 1.6 of ours is the two pens, neither of which came from our great play. Their first goal had an xG of 0.02. Pickford made a couple of pretty good saves though and I would say Lloris only really had to save the early Kane one (where he did well). So not much in it for me, none of our open play chances were great.

So all in all it was two well matched teams, they got the rub of the green off the ref, scored a great strike, took advantage of a couple of defensive lapses from us (for the winner in particular). That's football, just when it all looked so winnable it's tough to take.
Our first penalty came after Saka cut in from the wing, played a one-two (backheeled) with Bellingham and slalomed through the French defence who panicked and took him out - looked like great play to me.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Your so called evidence is flawed as SYHO has shown. But you carry on insulting people whose opinion differs to yours. Who was it you accused of talking out of their backside.

Anyway, Grealish should have been on earlier, giving him two minutes was pointless. We all know he wins soft free kicks, but apart from Bellinghams' effort, that was the only way England looked like scoring, apart from penalties and corner kicks.
You're arguing that Grealish who wins soft freekicks should have been on in place of Mount who WON a soft penalty.

I can't see how Grealish could have improved things more than Mount did.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No chance. Morocco have one way to play but they won't be able to keep France out and once they concede the game plan is dead and they will get beat comfortably. Going with 3-0
I would have expected the same from all of their European opponents to be fair.

Hence the Greece '04 vibes. Who were one slip-up that never happened, away from elimination in all their knock-out games.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm torn between wanting to watch a decent Final between Argentina and France, or to see Morocco get through even though it would likely be pretty dull as a spectacle. Croatia can do one, can't be ***** with them. And I don't want France to win overall. So... Argentina, then. Put my card on the 'villain' pile.
My preference would be Croatia v Morocco. Unless you can guarantee a France victory v Argentina.

George AlooGobi

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You're arguing that Grealish who wins soft freekicks should have been on in place of Mount who WON a soft penalty.

I can't see how Grealish could have improved things more than Mount did.

From my perspective, I could see the trouble Saka was giving them and thought Grealish running at them too would cause more problems - I'd have brought Rashford on as well with 30 mins to go

France were always capable of scoring at any moment given their forwards, but while England were on top I thought they should have rolled the dice. Plenty of options on the bench if England took the lead and wanted to shut up shop later

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From my perspective, I could see the trouble Saka was giving them and thought Grealish running at them too would cause more problems - I'd have brought Rashford on as well with 30 mins to go

France were always capable of scoring at any moment given their forwards, but while England were on top I thought they should have rolled the dice. Plenty of options on the bench if England took the lead and wanted to shut up shop later
With hindsight we should have tried something different as we lost.

However the subs were made with the intention of making something happen to get back in to the game.

It did happen, we won a penalty. Perhaps the something different that should have happened is someone else taking the penalty...

But then that's very easy (and obvious) to say, in hindsight.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just re use the classic one we sang to Pearce for hours at forest in the 3rd round obviously replacing Pearce with Harry
Harry lost the world cup
Harry lost the World Cup
Na na na
Na na na
Harry lost the World Cup
That was brave of you, considering how hard Stuart Pearce is

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Our first penalty came after Saka cut in from the wing, played a one-two (backheeled) with Bellingham and slalomed through the French defence who panicked and took him out - looked like great play to me.
Yes, fair point, what I meant was they didn't bring either player down in imminent fear of a goal, both pens were reallt just naive defending.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree. England played well but with 30 minutes to go and us on top I thought introduce Mount and Rashford now. He left the subs much too late and I think ultimately that cost us.

R

reanswolf

If you honestly think Ireland is jealous of England then i suggest you get some counseling as you are very out of tune with life.
I'm not seriously suggesting it - I'm part Irish anyway like much of Wolverhampton is, but support England - the place I was born and live. We all have human blood but it where you are born that dictates what you actually are, in my humble opinion. Wolves come first of course.

Jealous as being not involved in a World Cup. That's all. And yes, some Irish are bitter, as I said understandably so, for deeper reasons. Can I be any more conciliatory?

But you are right, I probably do need counselling but not about that.

George AlooGobi

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
With hindsight we should have tried something different as we lost.

However the subs were made with the intention of making something happen to get back in to the game.

It did happen, we won a penalty. Perhaps the something different that should have happened is someone else taking the penalty...

But then that's very easy (and obvious) to say, in hindsight.

I think your second line is key - I wanted to see England make changes to try and win the game rather than changing things later on to get back into the game

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, fair point, what I meant was they didn't bring either player down in imminent fear of a goal, both pens were reallt just naive defending.
And the Xg stat is a nonsense. I'm guessing the one France should have scored was Girouds volley from inside the 6 yard box.

So the Xg's discount the two they actually scored which is ridiculous. Meanwhile the two England should have scored were both from the spot? one of which, the ball landed in Saudi Arabia.

It discounts Kane's attempted chip and Bellingham's which forced a good save. I just can't get on board with Xg's, it means next to nothing.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fine, you cheer your way, I'll cheer mine. Please though, if you're going to be clever, be original.
i have looked back through your posts and you seem to be very immature so, should I need any advice from you, I will ask for it, otherwise it will be ignored.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No chance. Morocco have one way to play but they won't be able to keep France out and once they concede the game plan is dead and they will get beat comfortably. Going with 3-0
I think you’re right but I do hope that Morocco can at least keep a clean sheet until well into the second.
Let the hope, thrill and fun still shine within their fans as long as possible.

Gawd, I’d luvvvvvvvvv to see them beat France……..( but, sob, I never get what I want, sniffle).

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you’re right but I do hope that Morocco can at least keep a clean sheet until well into the second.

Gawd, I’d luvvvvvvvvv to see them beat France……..( but, sob, I never get what I want, sniffle).
Whatever the result, it will be kicking off in Paris afterwards

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even in this tournament he's had an incredibly lucky draw. Imagine getting to a SF and playing Morocco. Just had to win one 50/50 game against a French side with 5 first team players injured, and of course we don't.
Nothing to do with the draw really.. Morocco dumped out the much fancied Spain and Portugal.. I don’t think anyone would have been saying anything if we had to beat France, Spain and Argentina to win..

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's such a good point about squad depth. You look at the bench during the Sven years and it's a huge drop off isn't it.

Unless Southgate walks, he 100% won't be sacked. And when he does leave, they'll be a queue of absolutely zero PL sides wanting him.
I looked at our starting lineup against Portugal in 2004.. incredible team..

But then I scrolled down and saw that when Rooney got injured early, he was replaced with Darius Vassel.. and that, was our problem.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
And the Xg stat is a nonsense. I'm guessing the one France should have scored was Girouds volley from inside the 6 yard box.

So the Xg's discount the two they actually scored which is ridiculous. Meanwhile the two England should have scored were both from the spot? one of which, the ball landed in Saudi Arabia.

It discounts Kane's attempted chip and Bellingham's which forced a good save. I just can't get on board with Xg's, it means next to nothing.
Well I'm losing track of what the argument is about! I think Frank said we weren't creating much from open play. Given that our xG apart from the pens was 0.56 and that was mostly Kane's excellent play when he nearly lifted it over Lloris, Maguire's header (set piece) that hit the post Rashford's (set piece), I'd say that's true. Not that I'd have bothered with Grealish myself.

Mostly his point was not 'ridiculous', although I think that would be a fair word to use for your interpretation of the statistics of xG. It's just a better version of saying England had 16 shots to 8 or 8 on target to 5.

Last edited:
T

TheConcourse

The argument with Southgate will always be whether he gambles enough to win games.

There was a moment yesterday from 55m > where the game was there for us. We were well on top, and we had the chance to bring on another attacking player to get the job done and get Kane in the box.

The failure this time, and it is an absolute failure, hinges on two things for me:

The obsession with playing Kane so deep.

Not getting enough out of this attacking unit, which is frightening on paper.

I don’t see how anyone can say Southgate has done anything other than an average job when you analyse the teams we’ve played across three tournaments.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

oh it would be awesome if they can do the french

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well I'm losing track of what the argument is about! I think Frank said we weren't creating much from open play. Given that our xG apart from the pens was 0.56 and that was mostly Kane's excellent play when he nearly lifted it over Lloris, Maguire's header (set piece) that hit the post Rashford's (set piece), I'd say that's true. Not that I'd have bothered with Grealish myself.

Mostly his point was not 'ridiculous', although I think that would be a fair word to use for your interpretation of the statistics of xG. It's just a better version of saying England had 16 shots to 8 or 8 on target to 5.
How did the set pieces come about though? The freekicks from which good efforts were had were won in open play.

Xg is *******s. How many times under Lage did Xg favour Wolves? It was quite often, but there was no one capable of hitting the target.

How can France who scored two actual goals have an Xg of 1.04? Meaningless toss. The Tchouaneni goal was brilliant, hit through bodies, limiting the GK's view of the ball, struck hard, low, curling away and towards the post making it hard to get near. It was deemed to have had a 2% chance of going in. Absolute toss statistic.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No real losers once you hit the Semi finals though France would certainly see it as a failure if they don't get past Morocco.

Golden boot is close as well, Mbappe 5, Messi 4 and Giroud 4

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How did the set pieces come about though? The freekicks from which good efforts were had were won in open play.

Xg is *******s. How many times under Lage did Xg favour Wolves? It was quite often, but there was no one capable of hitting the target.

How can France who scored two actual goals have an Xg of 1.04? Meaningless toss. The Tchouaneni goal was brilliant, hit through bodies, limiting the GK's view of the ball, struck hard, low, curling away and towards the post making it hard to get near. It was deemed to have had a 2% chance of going in. Absolute toss statistic.
Because tRex Pickford should have saved the first and Maguire should have been stronger on the second. Both were preventable goals. Our pen was the easiest chance we had percentage wise for xg. You score 4 out of 5 min. We just spannered the second pen

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score

OK, you're getting a bit silly now. Set pieces are won in open play, I think most people will be able to work that out! Frank's point was that we might win more set pieces (in open play) and have chances from them. I'm not even sure I agree, it was just that you chose to call his point 'ridiculous'.

You really need to think harder about xG. It doesn't tell you how many goals you're going to score, it tells you about the chances to score you've created. So if you underperform relative to xG you're like Wolves, crap at finishing. If you smash one in from 25 yards then you didn't make a great chance, but you hit a great shot.

Back
Top Bottom