Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Today's Games 2022-23.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What does that say about us in 19/20? 7th best team in England, we went mental when we beat bottom of La Liga Espanyols reserves, couldn’t beat Braga despite having 2 goes, were outplayed by Olympiakos and lost to Sevilla in the QF hardly having a kick.

Yet some act like it was one of the most incredible achievements in football history.

The sour grapes are off the scale.
Of course we did, it was new and exciting! Like it is for West Ham.

The two things can be right - it's great for the fans, the best nights a generation will have, but it's also not that big an achievement in a sporting sense.

You're right, we did only beat a poor Espanyol side, and we were second best against Olympiacos, but this is Europa League now.

West Ham didn't come up against anyone like Olympiacos or Sevilla. They've had bang average teams up until AZ who are decent and Fiorentina who are good.

I'm like you though, I would do anything for Wolves to be in this position, so I'm not trying to criticise the fans.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For the fans, it must be brilliant, and ultimately football is for the fans. Don’t mind West Ham either, proper club not too dissimilar to ourselves in many ways.

The belittling of people belittling the achievement though is silly. It would be harder for the English entrants not to win this, such is the level of competition.

Would I be bothered what other fans thought though if this was Wolves, I’d be back down Wenceslas square on my 27th Staropramen of the day so wouldn’t really give a ****.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a brilliant time for the fans, but it's not a great achievement for a Premier League side to win this.
Exactly, it's a great excuse for a fans ****-up abroad, nothing more.
But with a 400 million quid squad it's a bit OTT to call them 'legends'.....they should have just shook hands like Bobby Moore would have done, given a wave and walked off, not making a big deal out of it.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course we did, it was new and exciting! Like it is for West Ham.

The two things can be right - it's great for the fans, the best nights a generation will have, but it's also not that big an achievement in a sporting sense.

You're right, we did only beat a poor Espanyol side, and we were second best against Olympiacos, but this is Europa League now.

West Ham didn't come up against anyone like Olympiacos or Sevilla. They've had bang average teams up until AZ who are decent and Fiorentina who are good.

I'm like you though, I would do anything for Wolves to be in this position, so I'm not trying to criticise the fans.
The fact that all the money in European football is in England means you are right, the premier league has probably spoiled European football a bit.

I take your point, but it’s ok knowing you should win, you’ve still got to go and do it.

To be honest, winning anything with Antonio up front is an achievement.

Dorbelflunk

Reaction score
The belittling of people belittling the achievement though is silly. It would be harder for the English entrants not to win this, such is the level of competition.

I'm sure there will be a fair bit of banter about them winning the 'Johnstone's paint of Europe' in the coming weeks, but to go straight to the 'mickey mouse tournament' line within minutes of it finishing feels like sour grapes rather than an impartial view.

Plus the tournament has been run a grand total of twice, and English clubs have won it once, so the jury is still out on the 'harder to lose' thing.

Leigh72

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Roma made the Europa league final this season and it was mentioned every week that they won the conference last season.

If you didn’t know that then clearly you have little interest in these competitions which is fair enough but plenty have really enjoyed them and value their worth.

I’m struggling to see how you can offer an opinion for other people?
Struggle on, I don't care either way

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just got in from work so missed the game. What a night for West Ham. What a way to win it. Qualification for the Europa League too.

*******s

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry folks but if I was a hammer I would be chuffed to **** tonight. Great result and a trophy in the cabinet . Fair play to them. Genuinely pleased in the year they lost David Gold . A fitting legacy

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What worries me most is Villa are in this next season. Please…no….
All we can do is hope to match them . We ****ed it against Sevilla by spunking a pen. Score that we win the Europe’s league in my view but thems the breaks

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it fair to say that it's a far greater achievement to qualify for this competition in the first place than it is to win it.
No. Perhaps the hardest part was qualifying for it but that'll count for nothing unless you go all the way.

It's fair to say getting to the semi's was a bit of a cake walk but AZ and Fiorentina were worthy opponents.

West Ham have won one of only six major annual trophies available to them.

All credit to them, I wish it'll be us one day.

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
Fuorentina have had a decent season in Serie A and we're in the better form and for me on the night if they had a finisher would of a should of won.

It's a great achievement for West Ham but makes me think how good is this competition? Especially when league wise West Ham finished below us in the league and we have had an awful season. But, you have to be in it to win it and can only beat what's in front of you I suppose.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dawson gets a winners medal!
Brilliant! He deserved something for his season

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Folks if we had won a trophy , any trophy I would be crowing away like a good un

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great how the players went over to remonstrate with those few fans who thought it funny to chuck plastic jugs at the Fiorentina player and assistant ref at corners. With all the tv coverage and CCTV, and it being West Ham’s biggest opportunity in 40 odd years to win something, it takes a special kind of thick and stupid to do such things.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amazed at some of the comments about European trophies. I remember a thread on here last year and some saying that they wouldn't like us to finish 7th as it would mean we would be in this competition. Look at us now.

Rangers got to the Europa Final last season. With some of the views on Scottish football would that make the Europa League a tinpot trophy?

When we finished 7th and qualified for the Europa League, I decided I would get to as many games as possible as being Wolves it could be a lifetime before it happened again. Many didn't bother as they reckoned it was only a stepping stone to Champions League.

Thoroughly enjoy all the trips and can only dream of when it will happen again.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amazed at some of the comments about European trophies. I remember a thread on here last year and some saying that they wouldn't like us to finish 7th as it would mean we would be in this competition. Look at us now.

Rangers got to the Europa Final last season. With some of the views on Scottish football would that make the Europa League a tinpot trophy?

When we finished 7th and qualified for the Europa League, I decided I would get to as many games as possible as being Wolves it could be a lifetime before it happened again. Many didn't bother as they reckoned it was only a stepping stone to Champions League.

Thoroughly enjoy all the trips and can only dream of when it will happen again.
The attitude that people would rather finish 13th and look forward to a bore draw with Palace than winning a trophy is madness. I'd take finishing 17th for a decade if it meant Wolves could life a major honour.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As an aside, I thought that the Fiorentina sub striker Cabral looked as though he could handle the PL. A better inverstment at 14 million than (e.g.) Gyokeres.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
And you wouldn't enjoy Wolves winning a trophy? I know most of us don't the feeling as it has been over 40 years but still.we
I loved watching us win the Asia Trophy Final v Man City 3-2 on penalties in 2019. Rui saved three pens that day!
That trophy is not listed in the Wolves Official Programme Honours list. The Sherpa Van Trophy is but not our Texaco Cup win in 1971. Perhaps, not enough space to include them all.

Back
Top Bottom