Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Today’s Games 2023-2024

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t watch England much, or even really care that much, but as an observation I do find lots of people tend to vastly overrate many of our players and how good/effective we are at this level. We never looked like scoring. Could have played another 90 out there and still be on 0. That was incredibly comfortable for a Brazil team missing key players too tbh. I get that we are missing a few, but I think people would be mad to put any money down on us winning the Euros.

Chilwell and Gallagher jesus wept.

The way the commentators were going on you’d have thought we were electric, and Bellingham was playing like prime Zidane. It was more like PR than analysis

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t watch England much, or even really care that much, but as an observation I do find lots of people tend to vastly overrate many of our players and how good/effective we are at this level. We never looked like scoring. Could have played another 90 out there and still be on 0. That was incredibly comfortable for a Brazil team missing key players too tbh. I get that we are missing a few, but I think people would be mad to put any money down on us winning the Euros.

Chilwell and Gallagher jesus wept.

The way the commentators were going on you’d have thought we were electric, and Bellingham was playing like prime Zidane. It was more like PR than analysis
The players care more about how big the holes are they cut in their socks and their hairstyles.

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think you could tell with some players that they just weren’t going to risk injury with such a big end to the season coming up. Whoever decided to have an international break with 10 games to go ain’t the sharpest.
Plus a lot aren’t on form or just coming back from injury .

I noticed Gordon looked the most lively and that was probably because it was his debut.

Having grown up watching the Brazil team of 82, that Brazil performance was as far from that as possible. How sad to see what they have become.

And they could still beat England :(.
Certainly seems to like kicking Bellingham!

Might have to get used to it .

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plus a lot aren’t on form or just coming back from injury .

I noticed Gordon looked the most lively and that was probably because it was his debut.

Certainly seems to like kicking Bellingham!

Might have to get used to it .
I'd imagine Bellinghams sliding tackle and yellow card early on didn't do him any favours. In fairness his treatment wasn't exactly classic 1970s. The definition of kicking lumps out of someone has definitely been watered down.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having grown up watching the Brazil team of 82, that Brazil performance was as far from that as possible. How sad to see what they have become.

And they could still beat England :(.

That 82 Brazil side remains my favourite all team international team. Zico ( the real one, sadly not Geoff Palmer ;) ) Socrates, Falcao, Cerezo and Eder were majestic players.

I remember that Friday night they ripped Scotland to bits 4-1 in Seville. Graeme Souness tells a great story about how hot it was that night with crazy humidity levels. He noted that as they lined up for the national anthems the Brazilian players stood like Gods / Hollywood film stars, not a hair out of place or a bead of sweat on them with chiselled physiques, while the his side looked like your typical Scots on a Spanish package holiday, streaming sweat, some with ginger hair, no teeth and various physical shapes and sizes :)

The game when they beat Argentina was also the day the main BBC News announced that " Wolverhampton Wanderers have gone into receivership " . So to watch Brazil thump Argentina 3-1 was something to brighten up a bad day. Eder unleashed what for me remains the greatest shot never to go in ( my bitter Scots mates tell " No Big Man that was Geoff Hurst at Wembley in 66 :D:D:D ) when he smashed a free kick from 35 yards that shook the bar, Zico scored from the rebound to put Brazil one up. On closer examination of the action replay Ubaldo Filliol the excellent Argentina goalie got a finger tip to Eder's blast making it one of the all time saves for me. Brazil won 3-1. The game saw some young Argentinian fella called Maradona get sent off, I don't think we ever heard from him again after that game ;)

The Monday afternoon saw what for me remains the greatest game of football I have ever seen ( sorry Sky it does not involve Liverpool / Manchester United or Arsenal ! ) when Italy beat Brazil 3-2 to end the tournament of that great side. In the end the things that were in the back of my and a lot of other people's minds came to the fore, the goalie Waldir Peres looked like when you played local football and the opposition have had to ask someone's Dad to go in goal ! He looked about 50 and played like it having already conceded a shocker versus The USSR in a Group game. Junior was a marvelous attacking Full Back but when it came to defending he was found wanting as this game showed. The Brazil defence was exposed but the biggest weakness was up front. Careca, who was the first man to do the aeroplane celebration in the 86 World Cup suffered a serious knee injury pre-tournament meaning Serginho was up front. Talk about the sublime to the ridiculous as a side with Socrates, Zico, Falcao and Eder who were truly world class, were in the same time team with a complete and utter carthorse who had the kicking technique of a three year old. If Careca would have been fit Brazil would have won the 1982 World Cup.

As Graeme Souness says when discussing that Brazil side that lost to Italy and were therefore eliminated, as he so rightly puts it " It was the day the beautiful game died "

Last edited:

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'd imagine Bellinghams sliding tackle and yellow card early on didn't do him any favours. In fairness his treatment wasn't exactly classic 1970s. The definition of kicking lumps out of someone has definitely been watered down.
Fair point .

Tackle was pretty wild .

Agree - they were more little taps .

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That 82 Brazil side remains my favourite all team international team. Zico ( the real one, sadly not Geoff Palmer ;) ) Socrates, Falcao, Cerezo and Eder were majestic players.

I remember that Friday night they ripped Scotland to bits 4-1 in Seville. Graeme Souness tells a great story about how hot it was that night with crazy humidity levels. He noted that as they lined up for the national anthems the Brazilian players stood like Gods / Hollywood film stars, not a hair out of place or a bead of sweat on them with chiselled physiques, while the his side looked like your typical Scots on a Spanish package holiday, streaming sweat, some with ginger hair, no teeth and various physical shapes and sizes :)

The game when they beat Argentina was also the day the main BBC News announced that " Wolverhampton Wanderers have gone into receivership " . So to watch Brazil thump Argentina 3-1 was something to brighten up a bad day. Eder unleashed what for me remains the greatest shot never to go in ( my bitter Scots mates tell " No Big Man that was Geoff Hurst at Wembley in 66 :D:D:D ) when he smashed a free kick from 35 yards that shook the bar, Zico scored from the rebound to put Brazil one up. On closer examination of the action replay Ubaldo Filliol the excellent Argentina goalie got a finger tip to Eder's blast making it one of the all time saves for me. Brazil won 3-1. The game saw some young Argentinian fella called Maradona get sent off, I don't think we ever heard from him again after that game ;)

The Monday afternoon saw what for me remains the greatest game of football I have ever seen ( sorry Sky it does not involve Liverpool / Manchester United or Arsenal ! ) when Italy beat Brazil 3-2 to end the tournament of that great side. In the end the things that were in the back of my and a lot of other people's minds came to the fore, the goalie Waldir Peres looked like when you played local football and the opposition have had to ask someone's Dad to go in goal ! He looked about 50 and played like it having already conceded a shocker versus The USSR in a Group game. Junior was a marvelous attacking Full Back but when it came to defending he was found wanting as this game showed. The Brazil defence was exposed but the biggest weakness was up front. Careca, who was the first man to do the aeroplane celebration in the 86 World Cup suffered a serious knee injury pre-tournament meaning Serginho was up front. Talk about the sublime to the ridiculous as a side with Socrates, Zico, Falcao and Eder who were truly world class, were in the same time team with a complete and utter carthorse who had the kicking technique of a three year old. If Careca would have been fit Brazil would have won the 1982 World Cup.

As Graeme Souness says when discussing that Brazil side when the lost to Italy and were therefore eliminated as he so rightly puts it " It was the day the beautiful game died "
The 82 team and of course the that superb1970 team are by far my favourite Brazilian teams of all time.
Losing to Italy (and Paolo Rossi in particular) left me as numb as the Wolves dis-appointments we've had to endure along the way.

There's a good book dedicated to that 82 team called (strangely enough), "1982 Brazil, The Glorious Failure" by Stuart Horsfield. Well worth a read if you havn't already. Some good colour plates in it too.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to Guardian it may have been Rice but still not sure. In the premier they'd still be drawing lines
You’re right there. I think the fact Endrick was masking Rice made it look closer than it was judging by the mown lines.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

As Graeme Souness says when discussing that Brazil side when the lost to Italy and were therefore eliminated as he so rightly puts it " It was the day the beautiful game died "
For ages after, if someone missed a sitter or completely mis-kicked one of my mates would shout ”Serginho”. :tearsofjoy:

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The 82 team and of course the that superb1970 team are by far my favourite Brazilian teams of all time.
Losing to Italy (and Paolo Rossi in particular) left me as numb as the Wolves dis-appointments we've had to endure along the way.

There's a good book dedicated to that 82 team called (strangely enough), "1982 Brazil, The Glorious Failure" by Stuart Horsfield. Well worth a read if you havn't already. Some good colour plates in it too.

Thank you for that but I already have that excellent book. Outstanding book as he really describes how special that team was. Like you I was left at the final whistle and for a good few days afterwards.

The four best international footballing sides that captured my imagination have been that Brazil side, France 1998-2000 , West Germany 1972 to 1974 and Holland 1974 to 78.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks to Ian Dennis on the Radio 5 commentary mentioning it last night I have found myself singing the Arrested Development hit " Mr Wendal " as he mentioned the link between that 1992 hit song and the Brazil and Porto full back who pronounces his name the same but spells Wendell :D

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

A Mate of mine who was only just 3 at the time of the 1974 World Cup had heard about but never seen Holland v Brazil in the second stage group game. It was shown on ESPN Classic a few years back and he could not believe just how brutal that game was. The two sides literally kicked lumps out of each other. That was the thing about that Dutch side, they could play beautiful football but they players on that team who could more than look after themselves !

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not ashamed to admit that the 3-2 loss to Italy was the first game that left me in tears ( was aged 13) the beautiful game had indeed died.

I did buy and read the book, I think it was your recommendation on the OT forum thread @Golden Arrow , it’s a great read and tells the story of the team and recreates the atmosphere of that tournament so well.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

As Graeme Souness says when discussing that Brazil side that lost to Italy and were therefore eliminated, as he so rightly puts it " It was the day the beautiful game died "
Great post. I agree the current Brazil side are a far cry from the exceptional sides they had when I was a kid back in the late 70’s and 80’s.
What still impresses me with Brazil and did last night was the incredible fluidity and incisive passing they possess, breaking from defence to the opposition box so quickly. I feel England have fallen short under Southgate in the key matches because he favours too many players who lack the technical ability to really press and slice through the opposition. For me Ben White should start ahead of Maguire, no question. Ben White is at a different level skill wise and it’s not uncommon to see him ghosting past the opposition in the final third. Also feel Gallagher and Rice in the centre of midfield overloads us with holding midfielders and would prefer to see Rice only in the holding role, providing the platform for others to get forward.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, the long post I made moaning about Gallagher was actually before I’d watched any of the match, as I’d got it on delay/record due to work. Never been less happy to be proven completely right.
He was doing the one thing he’s good at, running about, pressing high…but he’s absolutely useless on the ball. I never, ever, want to see him put on an England shirt again.
Chilwell was equally awful, but at least he has the excuse of being a perma-crock, always seemingly working his way back to fitness, that’s probably the best version of Gallagher that he has.
Can see Maddison being the next one to ‘do a Ben White’, because I’d be genuinely offended to see someone like that get picked ahead of me.
He’s playing as a more rounded midfielder now at Spurs, no reason whatsoever it couldn’t have been 4-3-3 with Rice as lone DM and 2 proper, all action 8s with him and Bellingham.

Wanting the extra security of a second holder is a false economy when they can’t use or keep the ball. When you have more of the ball, there’s less work for Rice to do by himself, which he’s perfectly capable of.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That's a good read, NB.
Any team with a player called "Socrates" in their line up should be worthy trophy winners alone.

But my favourite who just pipped the aforementioned was Eder. What a class act!
In the Potteries and District Sunday league I tried by best to emulate that precocious talent but sadly lacked the attributes of the player from Atletico Mineiro. No 35 yard screamers from me, but more the odd six yard tap in (although I did score with a flying header as the girlfriend watched on from the touchline).

Those poignant words of Mr Souness really did sum things up at the time.

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Anyone watch my local team Worthing’s Nat League South home game against Bath City on tnt sports 3 this afternoon. Entertaining 2-2 draw which I thought was a good advert for lower league football.
No as I subscribe to Sky who have no interest in non-league or lower than Championship football. Instead, 3 womens games of no interest and a Scottish Cup Final ffs. Love to know viewing figures.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching Georgia vs Greece. Good open game , but with 8 mins of ET left it’s still goal less

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Georgia qualify on pens for their first ever major tournament.
However there will surely be repercussions on fans shining laser pens in the Greek players faces as they were taking their penalties

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pickford and Chilwell conspire to gift a goal to Belgium. Pickford succeeds with a shocking clearance . We look awful again

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Pickford and Chilwell conspire to gift a goal to Belgium. Pickford succeeds with a shocking clearance . We look awful again
Chilwell, Dunk, Konsa, Gomez. England can’t have had many worse back fours than that.

Back
Top Bottom