Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The mediocre manager merry-go round

C

Calufur

I personally cant see how people tar Big Sam as a mediocre Manager. He's as good as they come at keeping you in the Premiership and what he did with Bolton shouldn't be dismissed. Ok its not pretty but it's effective. Also look how Blackburn have plummeted since Venkys sacked him.

K

kaohsiungwolf

View attachment 2880
This about sums it up. Manager's nationality by virtue of league position. Top two are naturally Spanish and Portuguese

That tells me more that the top clubs don't take on British managers than the bottom are stifling young British managers by hiring the same old names.

Perhaps adding the wage bill of each club would demonstrate why the top two are 'naturally' Spanish or Portuguese.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Big Sam has negotiated a contract worth £6m a season.

He earns more than Zidane.

Unbelievable.

That tells me more that the top clubs don't take on British managers than the bottom are stifling young British managers by hiring the same old names.

Perhaps adding the wage bill of each club would demonstrate why the top two are 'naturally' Spanish or Portuguese.

Mm, can see it from both point of views. What British manager would a top club go for though?

K

kaohsiungwolf

@kaohsiungwolf tell me a British manager you'd rather have instead of Nuno.

It's not the issue of 'what I want' for Wolves or a criticism of foreign managers.

It's people complaining that there's no young British managers coming through and blaming it on the likes of Allardyce, Hodgson and Moyes - the reason we have no real up and coming young British managers is because the teams with cash won't take them on, and why would you when you can 'buy' the best managers from overseas, most of whom are more than willing to come.

This is what's indirectly stifling English football at all levels. The decline of English managers, players and the national team directly correlates with the rise of English football on the global stage, you could say we haven't managed things effectively, and that's a fair point, but we are where we are.

Whether having such an unrepresentative number of foreign managers and players relative to the popualtion is a good or bad thing is entirely subjective, it's great to be enjoying the riches of football mega-capitlaism, but I'm not sure you can have it both ways.

portugaletc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
@kaohsiungwolf Why don't young English managers move abroad? Portuguese players and managers move everywhere, all continents.
Is it arrogance? Or just laziness to learn a new language?

Back
Top Bottom