Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
Not claiming to know anything, just an observation.

There are snippets and rumours everywhere. How much truth is in them, who knows? Probably not much imo.

If there is any truth, at least on the face of it, we seem to be trying to sign quality. Yes, they might seem “out of our league” but if you don’t try, you’ll never know.

We have to remember that even if we had £200,000,000 to spend, we might still be in the same situation and by that, I mean the top players just don’t want to come here. Hypothetically, if we signed a real top player tomorrow for £100,000,000 and silly wages, would more want to follow? I wouldn’t think so.

With no CL, it is almost impossible to sign the top players unless you have a bottomless pit of money. Therefore, you have to shop in the bargain bucket. Problem there is, plenty of competition from other clubs who are in the same situation.

To add to that, I will say that regarding previous transfers, a lot came completely out of the blue. Fosun have always tended to be tight lipped in this area so I wouldn’t be surprised to see us sign a player who hasn’t even been mentioned yet.
I suppose when you put it like that I agree with you, I mean fancy living in Portugal, Italy, France, Holland, and coming to wolvo

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is a weak excuse, many players know about their futures MONTHS before the end of the previous season.

I don’t care about other teams taking their time to get their targets.

I care that wolves who let a good centre back, good back up GK and then Marcal who had his good performances leave. We haven’t gotten their replacements lined up despite knowing we weren’t renewing?

How haven’t they sorted moutinho out before this week? They have known for a long time where his contract was……

We have a need to improve now, if we leave it late, we are then competing with more teams to sign the players teams where we are in the league need. That doesn’t take into account the European leagues.

Leeds have added to their midfield before the season, arsenal have added a quality player in Viera.

We need the players in/agreed to make sure they have the time to bed in and get up to speed. All this “wait and time will tell” nonsense failed in Jan, was a car crash last summer bar SA…… these numpties have shown nothing but incompetence the last few windows, but it’s ok, let’s give them time to **** it up even more…..

I wouldn’t back sellers and his merry men to sell water to a dehydrated person in a desert who is dying from thirst
While I think you make some good points, I also think you’re extreme in your views. We didn’t let a good CB leave, he left as he wanted a better deal than we felt he deserved. He was by far the weakest of the three. Same goes for Marcal, not one poster on here mourned his leaving.

I wish we did have our players in by now, but we haven’t. No club has concluded their business and most have barely begun. You don’t care about other teams as it allows you forget that no other team has completed their signing for the summer yet.

For all we know moutinho is sorted!

By all means come the end of the window if we have a weaker squad than last year than that is clearly unacceptable. But let’s deal in facts rather than hyperbole.

ToastedWanderer

Groupie
Reaction score
Theres only ever been 23 signings by English clubs over 50 million pounds.

You have to take the big clubs out of it. The likes of Palace, Brentford, Leeds, Brighton, Southampton have never paid over 30 million for one player, some of them have never spent more than 20 mill

Where does 50, 30 or even 20 million come into the equation when you're calling out the figure 18 million? Where does this sit in Fulhams list?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So the one thing we've learned over the years is that Fosun hate any leaks on the deals they do before they are done and dusted. Then they control the announcement as much as they possibly can.

Also any deals already "done" internationally to date can't be formally ratified until 1st July even if other teams have announced them as done!

There is a distinct possibility we already have deals almost in the bag except for the International deadline/contracts end by date, and are waiting until the right hour to tell the world.

Oh and we still have a second and third change strip to release!

Since Fosun took over, we have signed players on 1st July every season.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think we may get some movement next week. However this works both ways. There seems to be a general feeling on the forum now that Neves is actually staying, in contrast to the resignation to his departure a few weeks ago. However, if this is based simply on the fact that nothing has yet happened we might be in for even more angst. A quiet start to the window can have its up side. How are we going to feel if a realistic bid for Reuben comes in next week? Not too late, but late by the standards being set by many here and bringing the need to find a replacement back into focus rather than building the squad around him.

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So the one thing we've learned over the years is that Fosun hate any leaks on the deals they do before they are done and dusted. Then they control the announcement as much as they possibly can.

Also any deals already "done" internationally to date can't be formally ratified until 1st July even if other teams have announced them as done!

There is a distinct possibility we already have deals almost in the bag except for the International deadline/contracts end by date, and are waiting until the right hour to tell the world.

Oh and we still have a second and third change strip to release!
Over the last 5 transfer windows Fosun have avoided leaks and let nothing slip .
We have signed virtually nobody. So I suppose we can take our lead from that.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its an interesting thought in this thread that those positive about the transfers are deemed happy clappers while those critical are seen as angry and overly worried.
Personally I think we're much the same in that we know following Wolves comes with ups and downs and that no matter the state of the team or whatever league we're in, we'll be as passionate as any time when matchday comes around.

Not saying the state of the team is secondary. We all want Wolves to do well. And seeing the teams progression in recent years makes it difficult to accept stagnation or even regression.

But in the end, following Wolves about so much more than league position and succes. Personally I'll support whatever team we put out in August, even a 514 formation with busy lonely midfielder...

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So they've paid higher in the past, a good deal for a promoted team..

Only time will tell if its a good deal, as we all know they've spent a lot of money in the past and gone down. He'd be the 3rd most expensive player they've ever signed, he would be the 5th most expensive player we'd ever signed. The original point, the market is not as bloated as you might think it is outside of the big clubs, and as much as it pains some people to hear it, we are highly unlikely to spend that kind of money on a back up for Neves, especially when we've been burned in recent years on some of our biggest deals

Kennedy

Reaction score
Over the last 5 transfer windows Fosun have avoided leaks and let nothing slip .
We have signed virtually nobody. So I suppose we can take our lead from that.
Trincao was widely reported to be a probable signing before it happened as was Lage to name just a couple...

We are ultra secretive but you also have to factor in the selling club and leaks from that end.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's interesting that it appears Barcelona are selling De Jong to United for £56m (plus add ons). There is no way Barcelona will be paying any more than £45m max for Neves if that is the case.

It looks to me that there just isn't the market for him we all expected - well certainly not at the price they need to fund a major rebuild.

I think this is why we have not moved into the market yet. If they knew for sure he was going they may have jumped in to secure his replacement.

If Neves is not going they need a different type of midfielder to provide the drive. That is why they are trying for Nunes.

I guess the biggest issue is Barcelona saying yes we want him, but you can have £30m that's your lot!

Obviously, Neves is not going to care about the fee he is just going to want to play for Barcelona. Makes it very difficult to keep the player, but we get strong armed on price.

ToastedWanderer

Groupie
Reaction score
Only time will tell if its a good deal, as we all know they've spent a lot of money in the past and gone down. He'd be the 3rd most expensive player they've ever signed, he would be the 5th most expensive player we'd ever signed. The original point, the market is not as bloated as you might think it is outside of the big clubs, and as much as it pains some people to hear it, we are highly unlikely to spend that kind of money on a back up for Neves, especially when we've been burned in recent years on some of our biggest deals
Yeah, I was initially saying we probably aren't going to get as much for Neves as we think and needs an adjustment in strategy. Whether 18 million is cheap or not, it's becoming more the figure to acclimate to for clubs aiming higher than relegation fodder and not a figure that feels unattainable in the prem anymore..

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Grasshoppers have kawabe, sang bin and bolla from us so no more loans, unless they can have another as sang bin is under 21.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While I think you make some good points, I also think you’re extreme in your views. We didn’t let a good CB leave, he left as he wanted a better deal than we felt he deserved. He was by far the weakest of the three. Same goes for Marcal, not one poster on here mourned his leaving.

I wish we did have our players in by now, but we haven’t. No club has concluded their business and most have barely begun. You don’t care about other teams as it allows you forget that no other team has completed their signing for the summer yet.

For all we know moutinho is sorted!

By all means come the end of the window if we have a weaker squad than last year than that is clearly unacceptable. But let’s deal in facts rather than hyperbole.
Oh I know and fully aware other clubs haven’t completed their signings. I don’t say I don’t care to forget about them, I actually do look at the other teams and their activity! What I don’t care for is using others not being active as a good defence for the apathy ours are showing… we need to improve or we fall behind and we can forget repeating the last few years till their is big investment again. To use other teams activity as a defence is rubbish, we need to set our own standards and set ourselves apart from the pack and not be part of it and scrapping around the same players late in the window. Get them done early so others cannot get to them.

If we didn’t offer him the contract, that means We did let him leave….. also the noises he was making was if he wanted to stay. You summed up his season by his post AFCON form…. Before the AFCON he was fantastic, I think that plus Ramadan affected him and his form and we are significantly weaker with our defensive options with him gone. We had the second best defence in the league with him in it before he went away. But let’s forget the fantastic performances he put in and important goals he scored because it doesn’t fit your views.

Marcal for me was a solid squad player for us and it was correct to let him leave, but he was a champions league semi or finalist… we haven’t replaced that experience and also he played a lot of the matches where we had the second best defence in the league and played the majority of games where more defensive discipline was needed. Was correct to let him go, but that spot needs to be replaced and we just let Giles, Hoover and the lad who has gone back to grasshoppers go on loan so we have taken 3 current contracted options away from Lage ontop of the one who left so we have weakened the number available significantly….

If they sorted moutinho…. YOU ANNOUNCE IT! They know a large section of the fans aren’t happy, so release good news he is our player so there isn’t this “the window isn’t officially” open nonsense that can be trotted out here. The ITK’s have said the club are/have been dicking around with this and he wants to stay. So I am sorry, the silence doesn’t fill me with confidence that they have given a modern great of our club the respect he deserves.

Sorry but the club need to up their game and dismiss those who feel they need to be given time and excuses are allowing the club to sleep walk into a relegation dogfight in the next few years.

They are clearly woeful negotiators if uncle Jorge isn’t involved and that is very very worrying

D

Deleted member sbk12944

Botman has been signed by Newcastle hasn’t he? Sure I saw him in their shirt?
Technically it’s only official 1st July so just being a pedantic ****, but Botman has signed in everything apart from registration transfer.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's interesting that it appears Barcelona are selling De Jong to United for £56m (plus add ons). There is no way Barcelona will be paying any more than £45m max for Neves if that is the case.

It looks to me that there just isn't the market for him we all expected - well certainly not at the price they need to fund a major rebuild.

I think this is why we have not moved into the market yet. If they knew for sure he was going they may have jumped in to secure his replacement.

If Neves is not going they need a different type of midfielder to provide the drive. That is why they are trying for Nunes.

I guess the biggest issue is Barcelona saying yes we want him, but you can have £30m that's your lot!

Obviously, Neves is not going to care about the fee he is just going to want to play for Barcelona. Makes it very difficult to keep the player, but we get strong armed on price.

Like the rubbish which happened with Traore in January.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Can't see that Fosun will get what they want for Neves this summer. Rumours that Richarlison is off to Spurs for £60m, if that's the price for a proven PL goalscorer and Brazilian international then I doubt anyone is going to be paying a similar amount for a defensive midfielder.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
So summary so far is:

Nunes - we allegedly have a package of €50M on the table seems legit but player may not be keen
Icardi - Tenuous Mendes link that would contradict the ‘no ********s’ policy but doesn’t seem much in this one
Enzo Fernandez - Alleged done deal which Jeff didn’t pull the trigger on for vague reasons from not wanting to wait to shared ownership
Palhinha - player we’ve been linked to for 3 seasons, in demand so much so the almighty Fulham may get him, Mendes now wants €2M from Sporting because he wasn’t involved.
Minamino - tenuous link at best, gone to Monaco
Swanseas Flynn Downes rumour perhaps coming from a flimsy Wales link to our goalkeeping coach
Josh Brownhill - lazy journalism linking him to pretty much every ‘mid table’ PL club

I guess it beats the absurd rumours like Diego Costa we’ve got frothy about in previous seasons

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So summary so far is:

Nunes - we allegedly have a package of €50M on the table seems legit but player may not be keen
Icardi - Tenuous Mendes link that would contradict the ‘no ********s’ policy but doesn’t seem much in this one
Enzo Fernandez - Alleged done deal which Jeff didn’t pull the trigger on for vague reasons from not wanting to wait to shared ownership
Palhinha - player we’ve been linked to for 3 seasons, in demand so much so the almighty Fulham may get him, Mendes now wants €2M from Sporting because he wasn’t involved.
Minamino - tenuous link at best, gone to Monaco
Swanseas Flynn Downes rumour perhaps coming from a flimsy Wales link to our goalkeeping coach
Josh Brownhill - lazy journalism linking him to pretty much every ‘mid table’ PL club

I guess it beats the absurd rumours like Diego Costa we’ve got frothy about in previous seasons
I actually think the Nunes link is even more absurd and unlikely than Diego Costa to be honest.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People do love a good panic don't they. Judge transfers when it's time to judge them, not when hardly anyone has done any business.

There is no good or bad at this point. By late july we can make an early call and end of the window a complete one. It's not even possible to make any judgement today though.

Some of you have lost perspective after a tricky season - take a break from the forum and from football. If you don't have a break and are feeling down about wolves, all you'll do is make it worse.

Football should be fun.

Back
Top Bottom