Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

ToastedWanderer

Groupie
Reaction score
I have a feeling player prices are in flux, not as high as some were expecting and the market is adjusting. We may have wanted XX million for Neves, but seeing the likes of Haaland being bought for far less than the likes of Lukaku and you know a really high sale price is not going to happen for us.

I recall Palhinha was up for £24+ mil a month or so ago and we were all snapping that up, yet he could go to Fulham for less than £18 million, that's even got Mendes sweating and he's after a 2 million cut for what? Pouting and failing to get the job done, what a leach lol..

While I do not want to walk into the preseason tour with half our U23's getting an unexpected Algarve break, feels like shrewder business could be had when the market fully opens next week..

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As much as we will be delighted in Neves stays, I do wonder if Neves will be somewhat deflated that a (deserved) move to a bigger club, with genuine medal and European football prospects, has been scuppered by our valuation. The thought of another season trudging through treacle with our system of play may not be as motivating for him as it us for us.
If Neves felt priced out of a move then I don't see us getting him on a new deal, which presents a whole host of potential problems for us if he then starts to run his contract down. We need to cash in while we can, we can't afford to lose £20m+ just to keep him another season

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep I have and I’ll continue to do so. I’m more worried now though than I ever have been.

To repeat I’ve no issue with posters being negative, it’s the constant repetition of the same message everywhere!!!

Fair enough mate, I can understand that. Think the repetition is just a coping mechanism for the more anxious on here :D

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Pretty sobering read
Normal Brummie Mail article. Click-catching headline, normally with no actual reference to the main text, followed by stuff that anyone could have written after twenty minutes scanning Twitter or message boards. What's new here? Apart from the fact that the writer thinks Bruno is at Compton - which we on here know is not yet a fact!

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Normal Brummie Mail article. Click-catching headline, normally with no actual reference to the main text, followed by stuff that anyone could have written after twenty minutes scanning Twitter or message boards. What's new here? Apart from the fact that the writer thinks Bruno is at Compton - which we on here know is not yet a fact!
To be fair, we only "know" that because someone said they read it somewhere!

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Pretty sobering read
From the above link -

The head coach wants two players for each position. But Wolves’ hierarchy have always been reluctant to stockpile experienced players through fear of some being underused.
Doesn't this sum up our present owners who seem to think we can just get along fine on the bare bones. Every day that passes we become more and more the Poundshop club of the Premier league. It's not just players that they don't like signing either as we have hardly any of the usual backroom staff required to run a proper set up like all the other clubs. Shi seems to be in charge of everything and doing every job which is why we're so ****.

Last edited:

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Pretty sobering read
Not really, only if you're downbeat about everything. Really there's nothing to be worried about with that, here's the extent of it

Lage hoped to have actual new signings in the building for the start of pre-season, but that was wishful thinking from the Portuguese

Lage isn't in himself! So where's the problem?

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair to the Mail, they’re the only local journos calling out what we can all plainly see.

15 players who have played more than 10 games is shocking really, especially if it includes Moutinho. I thought it was a good point about the injuries to Kilman, Podence and Neves. Most players can’t put themselves out for 38+ games these days.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not claiming to know anything, just an observation.

There are snippets and rumours everywhere. How much truth is in them, who knows? Probably not much imo.

If there is any truth, at least on the face of it, we seem to be trying to sign quality. Yes, they might seem “out of our league” but if you don’t try, you’ll never know.

We have to remember that even if we had £200,000,000 to spend, we might still be in the same situation and by that, I mean the top players just don’t want to come here. Hypothetically, if we signed a real top player tomorrow for £100,000,000 and silly wages, would more want to follow? I wouldn’t think so.

With no CL, it is almost impossible to sign the top players unless you have a bottomless pit of money. Therefore, you have to shop in the bargain bucket. Problem there is, plenty of competition from other clubs who are in the same situation.

To add to that, I will say that regarding previous transfers, a lot came completely out of the blue. Fosun have always tended to be tight lipped in this area so I wouldn’t be surprised to see us sign a player who hasn’t even been mentioned yet.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have a feeling player prices are in flux, not as high as some were expecting and the market is adjusting. We may have wanted XX million for Neves, but seeing the likes of Haaland being bought for far less than the likes of Lukaku and you know a really high sale price is not going to happen for us.

I recall Palhinha was up for £24+ mil a month or so ago and we were all snapping that up, yet he could go to Fulham for less than £18 million, that's even got Mendes sweating and he's after a 2 million cut for what? Pouting and failing to get the job done, what a leach lol..

While I do not want to walk into the preseason tour with half our U23's getting an unexpected Algarve break, feels like shrewder business could be had when the market fully opens next week..

Haaland was a buy out clause, if there wasnt one he would have moved for a lot more

ToastedWanderer

Groupie
Reaction score
Haaland was a buy out clause, if there wasnt one he would have moved for a lot more
True, but it sets a benchmark and I've not seen any 100mil transfers, well, nothing I've seen has raised any eyebrows so far. Yet it seemed like you couldn't go a week or two last season without a massive fee hitting the headlines..

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
True enough. Conversely he likely wouldn't have signed the contract without the clause.
Raiola special that was. He got a 'cheap' move from Salzburg to Dortmund for around €20m, plus a load of money to his agent. Then after two years he would have a buyout of €60m or whatever it is Man City have paid, and I think Salzburg get another chunk now (might be wrong there). Man U were close to signing him from Salzburg but refused the release clause that was due this season, so he went to Dortmund instead

The influence of agents...

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Raiola special that was. He got a 'cheap' move from Salzburg to Dortmund for around €20m, plus a load of money to his agent. Then after two years he would have a buyout of €60m or whatever it is Man City have paid, and I think Salzburg get another chunk now (might be wrong there). Man U were close to signing him from Salzburg but refused the release clause that was due this season, so he went to Dortmund instead

I wonder if Haaland, because of the crap involving Keane and his dad, would ever have gone to ManUre.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Normally even 24/48 hours before we have a few things breaking about possible signings but nothing .

I think Shi is going to struggle big time next season if no backing from Fosun . As most fans were bored with the crap football at the end of the season. Don't really see that changing when we have a weaker squad with the free transfer players released .

Hopeful that Shi and Fosun prove me wrong but if it is sell to buy then it might be deadline day before we can do anything . As most clubs will wait and then put in silly offers for players like Neves and also Adama .

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The season starts a week earlier, not one month.

Five subs is fair, however I don’t foresee us now having a 25 man squad full of ready to go pros on the back of it.

I have no issue with anyone sharing how they feel. I have an issue with the same thing being said repeatedly which even WAW2 agreed with. If someone was like that in the pub they’d be told to shut up for being boring, not because of their viewpoint.

There’s a distinct difference between the two.

With it being a forum I’m well within my rights to voice my feelings too.

July isn’t a weak excuse. Villa aside who has made many signings? It’s a weak excuse in the eyes of fans looking for any reason to criticise. Nunes has said he’s on holiday so won’t be deciding til he’s back!!!
It is a weak excuse, many players know about their futures MONTHS before the end of the previous season.

I don’t care about other teams taking their time to get their targets.

I care that wolves who let a good centre back, good back up GK and then Marcal who had his good performances leave. We haven’t gotten their replacements lined up despite knowing we weren’t renewing?

How haven’t they sorted moutinho out before this week? They have known for a long time where his contract was……

We have a need to improve now, if we leave it late, we are then competing with more teams to sign the players teams where we are in the league need. That doesn’t take into account the European leagues.

Leeds have added to their midfield before the season, arsenal have added a quality player in Viera.

We need the players in/agreed to make sure they have the time to bed in and get up to speed. All this “wait and time will tell” nonsense failed in Jan, was a car crash last summer bar SA…… these numpties have shown nothing but incompetence the last few windows, but it’s ok, let’s give them time to **** it up even more…..

I wouldn’t back sellers and his merry men to sell water to a dehydrated person in a desert who is dying from thirst

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's only the end of June. Transfers will happen.

They won't be mega money signings, just in line with the past few transfer windows.
They don't have to be, Moutinho cost £5m, but they do have to improve the spine of the side if we are even to consolidate last seasons 10th, and that is something we have failed to do since the first summer after promotion.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
True, but it sets a benchmark and I've not seen any 100mil transfers, well, nothing I've seen has raised any eyebrows so far. Yet it seemed like you couldn't go a week or two last season without a massive fee hitting the headlines..

Theres only ever been 6 100 mill plus transfers in pounds, and ten if you convert to Euros.

It may not impress you anymore but that Haaland move and Liverpool signing Darwin Nunez for 75 mill euros are still mega deals. Tchouameni went to Real for 80 mill euros

Maybe its just the world we live in, but still strikes me as crazy that a club can spend 20 mill on one player and some on here wouldn't be impressed by it, theres even some that describe 18 mill for a midfielder from the portuguese league as "cheap" :tearsofjoy:

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They don't have to be, Moutinho cost £5m, but they do have to improve the spine of the side if we are even to consolidate last seasons 10th, and that is something we have failed to do since the first summer after promotion.
Absolutely right
If our main signing is say £20 million, and we bring in a few in the £10 million range ,or loans to buy its fine ,as long as they are as good if not better than what we have or have lost,or at least have the potential to be better but not in 5 years time,we need ready to play next season signings preferably

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And meanwhile two agents ,one being Mendes,are fighting over the commission and transfer of Palhinha . Not forgetting the £10 million of the £35 million transfer fee being paid by Porto to Mendes and Silva senior for the transfer of Fabio .ie effectively we paid it and Fosun earn their divi from Gestifute's profits.

Time for Fifa to act ,impose some common sense rules and increase the transparency on this charade .

ToastedWanderer

Groupie
Reaction score
Maybe its just the world we live in, but still strikes me as crazy that a club can spend 20 mill on one player and some on here wouldn't be impressed by it, theres even some that describe 18 mill for a midfielder from the portuguese league as "cheap" :tearsofjoy:
Well I didn't say that, the point was £24m plus was being touted not long ago and the real figure is now more like £18m, how much would you pay for him? Edit: and further to that, what are you expecting for a midfielder from Wolves?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And meanwhile two agents ,one being Mendes,are fighting over the commission and transfer of Palhinha . Not forgetting the £10 million of the £35 million transfer fee being paid by Porto to Mendes and Silva senior for the transfer of Fabio .ie effectively we paid it and Fosun earn their divi from Gestifute's profits.

Time for Fifa to act ,impose some common sense rules and increase the transparency on this charade .
FIFA, very probably the most corrupt sports body in the world, to act? Yeah, right!

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how urgent our need is, if the selling club don't want to sell yet or the player doesn't want to move until after his holidays.

Every single manager in the league will have wanted incomings sorted out ASAP, but it's only really Villa and Liverpool who have multiple significant deals done, and Haaland at City.

Oh it's the holidays we've to wait for now..
And then what? Oh yeah and then transfer deadline...and then January.

But taken your point on board its obvious a problem that our need is urgent, if the selling club doesn't want to sell or the player doesn't want to move.
I wonder how we could've avoided being in such a needy situation this window....

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well I didn't say that, the point was £24m plus was being touted not long ago and the real figure is now more like £18m, how much would you pay for him? Thirty quid and a pack of roasted nuts lol..

I'm not questioning Palhinha's ability or worth, for what its worth i'd like us to sign him. I'm just saying its weird there are some that think 18 million pounds is cheap. It would still make him the joint 5th most expensive player in our history

ToastedWanderer

Groupie
Reaction score
I'm not questioning Palhinha's ability or worth, for what its worth i'd like us to sign him. I'm just saying its weird there are some that think 18 million pounds is cheap. It would still make him the joint 5th most expensive player in our history
While I agree with you being a long term fan, but it certainly wouldn't be anywhere near the 5th most expensive in the premier league, in fact it would be quite scary how far down that list it would be..

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While I agree with you being a long term fan, but it certainly wouldn't be anywhere near the 5th most expensive in the premier league, in fact it would be quite scary how far down that list it would be..
He said in OUR history

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With no CL, it is almost impossible to sign the top players unless you have a bottomless pit of money. Therefore, you have to shop in the bargain bucket. Problem there is, plenty of competition from other clubs who are in the same situation.

A European league place, never mind Champions League, can be a real tempter for prospective signings. If only we had acted in January, and not sat there with our fingers crossed that we wouldn't get injuries, and would just somehow limp across the line. But for a bit of ambition, we might just not have had quite the capitulation we saw in those last 10, or so, games and be better placed going into this season. Hey-ho, we are where we are now.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Theres only ever been 23 signings by English clubs over 50 million pounds.

You have to take the big clubs out of it. The likes of Palace, Brentford, Leeds, Brighton, Southampton have never paid over 30 million for one player, some of them have never spent more than 20 mill

Back
Top Bottom