Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sacking the manager 2 games into the season is rarely a clever move.
We've played well in presason, created lots of chances and scored goals. Injury to Raul messed up things a bit as Podence or Hwang up front are far from ideal. Completely different types of players, and not very good playing up front on their own. Having Raul back, and hopefully another striker coming in, will change the picture.
Also, we did have a chances today. Not a lot, but enough to win. Even having Guardiola on the sideline wouldnt have made those chances go in.

As others have said, I'd agree with you 100%, if it wasn't for the context of the final quarter of last season.

Sacking him now would be massively harsh, but there's no doubt in my mind that this will all end in tears in the not too distant and the longer it goes on, the less margin for error we will have.

I'm not sure the players are fully with him tbh.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As others have said, I'd agree with you 100%, if it wasn't for the context of the final quarter of last season.

Sacking him now would be massively harsh, but there's no doubt in my mind that this will all end in tears in the not too distant and the longer it goes on, the less margin for error we will have.

I'm not sure the players are fully with him tbh.

Fair points...
I'd agree to an extend if he wasnt so eagerly trying to fix what was wrong for most of last season. Changing formation is a step in the right direction. Signing Collins and Guedes as well. I dont think he should be given another full season if things dont change, but finally getting some of his players in, and trying to finally change things has earned him a bit of credit here.
But of course we've to improve.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well Bruno said hopefully we can convince the players we want to join, I don’t think today will have helped with that.
You convince them by painting the picture of what this team can do with 'you' in that side. We have enough in this squad for them to see with a couple of good additions what could be acheived.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

All starts in the midfield for me, we obviously need a forward but we are so easy to play against in the middle of the park.

Just press Neves back to goal and then sit deep when we have ball and we'll play it in front of you 100x a game.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Made that point Neto podence and mgw are dare I say it overrated (Neto potentially excluded)
Neto is overrated in terms of the player he is now but the player he can be we have it correct he can be absolutely world class.

He really needs to fix his decision making though pronto. Again today head down dribble, dribble, dribble.

People fairly bag Adama for that but Neto is just as bad.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You convince them by painting the picture of what this team can do with 'you' in that side. We have enough in this squad for them to see with a couple of good additions what could be acheived.
Fingers crossed ay.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neto is overrated in terms of the player he is now but the player he can be we have it correct he can be absolutely world class.

He really needs to fix his decision making though pronto. Again today head down dribble, dribble, dribble.

People fairly bag Adama for that but Neto is just as bad.
And that is why we need top coaches so that players like Neto, MGW and Ait Nouri can achieve their potential.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In fairness Ait-Nouri has improved a lot under Lage. Neto has been injured and MGW loaned out, so difficult to judge their development.
If I remember correctly it was John Ruddy who said that he thought Lage was a good coach but questioned his man management skills. I think like a lot he is good for some and bad for others. I certainly did not like how he handled Hoever.
I hope that Lage does well but I think we also need to look at the management above him if we are to move towards our otiginal Fosun adventure to the top.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Raul bought 28th June 2018 . Injured 29 November 2020.
6ft 3 in tall scored 40 goals for WWFC.
Not one players signed in over four years capable of playing the part of goalscoring focal point.
Hardly half a dozen matches since the injury worth watching .
It needs sorting out now.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I remember correctly it was John Ruddy who said that he thought Lage was a good coach but questioned his man management skills. I think like a lot he is good for some and bad for others. I certainly did not like how he handled Hoever.
I hope that Lage does well but I think we also need to look at the management above him if we are to move towards our otiginal Fosun adventure to the top.

Yes I agree..

And yes Ruddy said this, quoted below, which is interesting but also more nuanced than just him being poor or good at manmanagement.

Obviously it can't be that poor, with former players like Guedes wanting to work with him, and Felix telling Neves "You'll love to work with him".

But Ruddy probably has a point about him wearing his heart on his sleeve being both good and bad.
"
He’s a very good coach on the training pitch. Very thorough, very meticulous. His man management I think could be improved. I think in terms of the way he communicates with the players.

“I think he can be a little more approachable, if you like. But he’s very passionate as well and he’s very emotional. He wears his heart on his sleeve. You know exactly what he’s thinking, which is sometimes a good thing, sometimes a bad thing"

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes I agree..

And yes Ruddy said this, quoted below, which is interesting but also more nuanced than just him being poor or good at manmanagement.

Obviously it can't be that poor, with former players like Guedes wanting to work with him, and Felix telling Neves "You'll love to work with him".

But Ruddy probably has a point about him wearing his heart on his sleeve being both good and bad.
"
He’s a very good coach on the training pitch. Very thorough, very meticulous. His man management I think could be improved. I think in terms of the way he communicates with the players.

“I think he can be a little more approachable, if you like. But he’s very passionate as well and he’s very emotional. He wears his heart on his sleeve. You know exactly what he’s thinking, which is sometimes a good thing, sometimes a bad thing"
With so many of the great managers it was a collabaration so they all brought something different to the table to balance things out. Shanks and many, Joe Mercer and Maalcolm Allison, Brian Claough with Peter Taylor and Fenton, etc. Ulitmately though it is the Board that create the means that they football side of the club can work with.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still cannot believe how bad some of these reporters are and do not get called out for it.
Alex Crook
Now as far I know Ruben has a contract until 2024 which when I was at school added up to two years and yet this so called reporter gets the vital part of his article completely wrong.twice.

However, Wolves still find themselves in a difficult position as Neves has less than 12 months to run on his £50,000-per-week contract and has failed to put pen-to-paper on fresh terms.

What has Alex Crook said about Neves?​

Neves has made 213 appearances since becoming Wolves’ then-club record signing in 2017 and, in that time, he has become a fan favourite and an integral part of the midfield.
Conor Coady’s loan move to Everton has also seen the Portuguese step up to become the West Midlands side’s new captain, with him wearing the armband at Leeds on the opening day of the season.
However, Wolves desperately need to negotiate a new deal with Neves as, otherwise, they are running the risk of seeing the star, who featured for Porto close to 100 times before his switch to Molineux, depart as a free agent next summer.

However, Wolves still find themselves in a difficult position as Neves has less than 12 months to run on his £50,000-per-week contract and has failed to put pen-to-paper on fresh terms.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got to hope they realise that we need a quality finisher, and ideally, an attacking midfielder. After watching us this afternoon, will they think "2 players and it will be a side challenging at top end"? Or "OMG that's a total lost cause, mustn't waste any more money on it"?

With a real striker, someone of the level of pre-injury Raul, we'd be sitting on 4 points today. 100% guaranteed. And not unimaginable that we'd be on 6 points. Yes, there have been problems all over the pitch, but none as chronic and points-draining as the poor finishing that has dogged us for 2 years.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
we need a big ****house in midfield and a batshuayi type striker. over to u jeff

I thought our midfield two of Donk and Neves did well, but Podence was a complete passenger, didn't do what he needed defensively and kept losing the ball in the middle of the pitch. I'm hoping Geudes starts there soon.

We do need a CM though!

T

TheConcourse

Not sure how many times it needs to be said but we have nothing different in the middle of the pitch. All of our options are the same.

They’re all happy to take the ball off a defenders foot and make a comfortable pass out wide, get it back, go sideways. It’s only really Neves who has the ability to pick a pass forward.

Please please please can we sign a CM that’s got the ability to move up the pitch with a football.

Back
Top Bottom