Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said weeks ago we need to invest this summer to refresh the squad. Get it right with some cheaper players that can improve and replace the likes of Neves and it’s quite possible in the future there will be windows where sales far exceed incoming transfers.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Weren't there rumours of investment, maybe they've managed to find some but aren't announcing it until after the transfer window for obvious reasons

To be honest, this is my thought. I am wondering if Collins was brought with the £20m of retained profits but they have had to wait for investment to refresh the rest of the squad in the absence of big sales.

Maybe when Guo came to the Sporting friendly it was to rubber stamp that investment?

All speculation of course, but with a £48m spend and Bruno saying 3 or 4 more to come, it does make you wonder where all this money is coming from?

If its true they are chasing that 6'6" striker from France, there is another £10m - £15m. Then there is the centre midfield which could be anything from £10m to £40m for Nunes.

And that is only two, even if you add a couple of quality youngsters that could be another £10m.

As soft as it sound if that came off you are looking at a £100m spend. I certainly didn't see that coming without selling Neves and a few others.

I might be letting my imagination run a way with me a little, but it's going to be really interesting to see what does happen.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be honest, this is my thought. I am wondering if Collins was brought with the £20m of retained profits but they have had to wait for investment to refresh the rest of the squad in the absence of big sales.

Maybe when Guo came to the Sporting friendly it was to rubber stamp that investment?

All speculation of course, but with a £48m spend and Bruno saying 3 or 4 more to come, it does make you wonder where all this money is coming from?

If its true they are chasing that 6'6" striker from France, there is another £10m - £15m. Then there is the centre midfield which could be anything from £10m to £40m for Nunes.

And that is only two, even if you add a couple of quality youngsters that could be another £10m.

As soft as it sound if that came off you are looking at a £100m spend. I certainly didn't see that coming with selling Neves and a few others.

I might be letting my imagination run a way with me a little, but it's going to be really interesting to see what does happen.

But, step back and view this from a hypothetical summer 2023, where Neves and Morgan both stayed through 22/23 and both did well, and we did land the players you suggested this summer. The club then has at least 3 players worth more than 50m each in Neto, Neves and MGW. Add to that Guedes and Nunes, and perhaps even Kilman. They could easily sell a couple of them, assume Neves plus one of Neto or MGW, pocket 120m, and only need to spend 30-40m to buy decent additions to maintain squad depth. The balance of 80-90m more or less covering the net spend in summer 2022, while the squad continues to look young and strong.

Of course, should the investment in summer 2022 pay out with European qualification, then the extra revenue from that in 23/24 could generate a similar amount to the sale of a couple of stars. If so, the club may well wish to keep the likes of Neves using the European revenue to cover the net spend from the prior year.

It’s still buy to sell, just not as risk averse as in recent years.

Kennedy

Reaction score
Don't know if this has been posted already, some interesting language, ' I make a lot of pressure' ...

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is my belief. Fosun aren't putting more in, the club are still operating within their means, but they are now using more of their means. For the last few years they've operated within a very tight budget, but right now they're willing to push closer to their limit. Why? Who knows. Personally I think Guo has asked for more ambition. He wants to own an elite club, not a mid-table club.
They have spent a lot of time and effort increasing income streams - and being slagged off for it. Maybe their financial forecasts show that work is starting to show growth so they can spend based on those forecasts. They have NEVER said they are Sell to Buy but that the model is self sustainable. The long term prep may be starting to pay off. Who knew long term planning could be effective?

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't know if this has been posted already, some interesting language, ' I make a lot of pressure' ...

Sellars used similar language.
I wouldnt read too much into it. In most clubs the Head coach or manager, are pressuring to board to get the signings he wants and more often than not, the board needs convincing before they splash the cash.
Having said that Lage has not received sufficient backing yet. Guedes and Collins are a huge step in the right direction though and hopefully more to come.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

As soft as it sound if that came off you are looking at a £100m spend. I certainly didn't see that coming without selling Neves and a few others.

The £20m surplus we've tended to be getting in the PL would cover both Collins and Guedes (about £9.5m amortised fees, maybe £7.5m ish combined wages, leaving around £3m of that yearly profit left over, so it'd be covered but would leave us tight), anything beyond that is where it'll get interesting. We're always a year behind knowing what the club has actually done regarding finances, it's unlikely but for all we know those revenue streams they've been building could be helping out and they could be playing with a £35m-£40m surplus rather than £20m and that'd give us some serious room for manoeuvre, that could indeed pay for Nunes and a couple of others without needing to sell.

There are a few possibilities, we could be operating with a bigger profit, we might have some investment, we might have decided to borrow a bit now and recoup by selling a player either now or at the end of the season (I also happen to think that with a World Cup shop window and a six week break just before the January transfer window opens that the January window could be a pretty exciting one this season). As you say, it'll be really interesting to see how it all pans out

Edit: when you think about it, a bigger surplus is quite a realistic possibility even without major revenue growth because of trimming other things. Ruddy, Saiss and Marçal all left, so maybe about £1m off your amortisation costs for the year but probably £5m off your wage bill. Coady has been loaned out with Everton paying his wages, and Anderlecht are paying Silva's wages, so that's probably another £5m or so off the wage bill. Silva signed a contract extension before leaving, so his original £7m a year amortisation cost will now be just over £5m, saving another £2m. That's somewhere around £13m saved on your yearly 'bills' there with nothing more than a bit of refinancing, add it to the regular profit we seem to make and we could have fairly serious spending power

Last edited:

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds like there is money to spend
I'm pretty sure Jeff keeps a lid on things so he can sit back and laugh uproariously at the fun and games of transfer window time Mix

If they spend a few more quid on top of what they have already there will be more egg on face on here than a John Prescott election rally

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Jeff keeps a lid on things so he can sit back and laugh uproariously at the fun and games of transfer window time Mix

If they spend a few more quid on top of what they have already there will be more egg on face on here than a John Prescott election rally
He should stop sitting back and laughing and give the manager a proper striker in his squad. Then maybe allow him to go into a game where he will actually want to make more than one sub.

Even though you and a few others are delighted by this talk, which we all would be if it's true, the reality is Shi is in charge of giving the manager a suitable squad and right now it's a joke.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Does the need for Barca to “free up salary mass” provide an opportunity - much as I’d rather not deal with this club - with a L2B. Nico is the obvious one but not certain how they are stocked in areas we could do with cover assuming we buy a CM and Striker. FB and CB I’d like cover - so long as they can defend (not a dig at Semedo who can defend).

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where has the money come from all of a sudden?

Everyone is always quick to ask where its gone, but we have spent £20m on Collins and now £27m on Guedes - £47m in total.

But today Bruno has said he wants "3 or 4 more top players"

That could mean anything, but you have to think that means at least £20/30m - taking our summer spending to £70m.

We may well sell Adama for £10m to off-set some of the cost, but still unless there is a surprise sale of Neves or RAN we could well have a nett spend of £60m or more.

So where has this come from? I know we probably have £20m of retaining profit but with no big sales where has it come from?

Has Fosun financed it or are they keeping some external investment quiet?
From what I understand - and without betraying anyone's trust - this is new money. It's not external investment. The plan for this window was to have a 0 net spend. That plan has changed markedly.

Here's hoping this pans out....and that we can get past Fulham today

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Does the need for Barca to “free up salary mass” provide an opportunity - much as I’d rather not deal with this club - with a L2B. Nico is the obvious one but not certain how they are stocked in areas we could do with cover assuming we buy a CM and Striker. FB and CB I’d like cover - so long as they can defend (not a dig at Semedo who can defend).

I stil think Barca have a big part to play in this window regarding Wolves. If they get Neves off us by any chance at the last minute, we would need a very good young midfielder in return, one of their best 2 youngsters who they rate very highly. That might be needed to satisfy Wolves fans...no point in banking 50 mill if we can't spend it.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think we definitely get Ramos ....just got that feeling.... it will also free us up to accept late bids for Gibbs but definitely adama ...

Obviously Nunes is still tricky.....but hopefully we have a decent back up option in case....be chuffed with Aouar....

We might sign a centre back I reckon.....is Verrisimo fit yet at benfica....

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He should stop sitting back and laughing and give the manager a proper striker in his squad. Then maybe allow him to go into a game where he will actually want to make more than one sub.

Even though you and a few others are delighted by this talk, which we all would be if it's true, the reality is Shi is in charge of giving the manager a suitable squad and right now it's a joke.
We are getting there, and if we don’t sign any more players then by all means have a go. £57m so far spent, on the right players in Collins and Guedes for sure, shows they deserve a little respect and time.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

As the fancast show, it's the same as last year. Actions speak louder than words and all that.
To be fair, they are supposed to have attempted to sign Botman for £25m and Sanches on L2B for £30m last summer. I know some believe that they were never really going to commit to those however if they actually were then that money should be available still plus whatever we’d budgeted for this summer too.

Don’t get me wrong, you could be right, last year could have been a smokescreen and this summer turns out the same way, it could also have been genuine and they just ballsed it up and so are in a position to double down this summer instead.

We’ll find out in the next few weeks I’d imagine.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t see why we can’t bring in quality youngsters like Traore and Almeida at this point ? We could find ourselves rooted towards the bottom early on.
They are not first team players ...if we can replace say cundle, Campbell and say Bueno with first team players , allowing them to go out on loan our squad and team massively improve...don't think either of these players do that..

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Jeff might've been telling the truth when he said, money is available for the right player.

Maybe they need to convince him the player could be a real difference maker for us to buy them. Then the issue of convincing them starts

There might be geopolitical shifts that affect spending, there might not, but it does indeed seem he was always telling the truth along those lines ‘money is available for the right player’.

They only do deals that they deem ‘value’. And in reality, the vast majority have been.
Raul pre-injury, same for Jonny, then Collins, Moutinho, Guedes, Jota, Neves, Neto.
That’s quite the list of players that we’ve got for market value at absolute most really.
Even Fabio is starting to look far more likely to be worth his investment.
So for all the ‘shambles, clowns and liars’, they really haven’t deviated from much they’ve said apart from ‘taking on Citeh’.

For balance, it could be fair to level the accusation that they’ve been complacent regarding how brutal the PL can be, and how quickly it could go wrong by leaving gaps and waiting for those players that are of high enough quality but exceptional value.
But again…we haven’t been in genuine danger at any point, even at the lowest ebb of this squad refresh, and there is young talent in a number of positions that should be shining for years to come.

Maybe, just maybe, the short term reactionary perspective of fans doesn’t marry up well with long term planning and budgeting that you need at a progressive club.
Which, Jeff may also have mentioned once or twice.

Still, ‘CM or we riot!’ Which would also be fair to an extent.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, they are supposed to have attempted to sign Botman for £25m and Sanches on L2B for £30m last summer. I know some believe that they were never really going to commit to those however if they actually were then that money should be available still plus whatever we’d budgeted for this summer too.

Don’t get me wrong, you could be right, last year could have been a smokescreen and this summer turns out the same way, it could also have been genuine and they just ballsed it up and so are in a position to double down this summer instead.

We’ll find out in the next few weeks I’d imagine.
Yep, not disputing that.

As someone who didn't believe the Botman/Sanches stuff I'm unsurprisingly in the same boat now.

To be fair, I'm surprised we've spent the money we have so far, so I'm certainly not expecting us to go out and spend more. Obviously we need 2/3 players minimum but if they're cheap or loans then fine by me if I look at it realistically.

Obviously hope they've do spend more but as you say we'll see!

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are getting there, and if we don’t sign any more players then by all means have a go. £57m so far spent, on the right players in Collins and Guedes for sure, shows they deserve a little respect and time.
As I've just posted above, I'm surprised and happy with the money spent so far.

I think it's stupid to have loaned Silva out before a replacement has come in and it's ridiculous the situation we find ourselves in with midfielders and strikers. It's pretty embarrassing to be honest and reflects really badly on those in charge. Hopefully today can buy them a bit of time but if we do lose they deserve the stick they will inevitably get.

But, yeah, get the midfielder and striker we need (as a minimum) and it can be viewed as a good window. Don't really care on the prices or whatever with those players. We just need experienced players in those positions. If they have to be cheap or loans then I totally get that because of the outlay already.

Last edited:

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This transfer window reminds me off the excitement of getting a lucky bag from the suck shop.

Uncle George has cranked up the carousel and it's finally on the move. Next song playing in the background on the hurdy gurdy is 'Those were the days' followed closely by 'I was born under a wanderers scarf'. Get ready to hold those osses.

HessonWolf

Reaction score
Just took my lad to Birmingham airport, we were standing on the old side when the fosun jet landed. Guo was there, i didnt know any others.
Left in 2 silver mercs

Attachments

• 0D1CE83E-8BFD-45A3-95A8-051592F21C83.jpeg
    0D1CE83E-8BFD-45A3-95A8-051592F21C83.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 200
  • 421FFB44-2E56-4CFB-8DAA-D36894C84A78.jpeg
    421FFB44-2E56-4CFB-8DAA-D36894C84A78.jpeg
    17.5 KB · Views: 196

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, not disputing that.

As someone who didn't believe the Botman/Sanches stuff I'm unsurprisingly in the same boat now.

To be fair, I'm surprised we've spent the money we have so far, so I'm certainly not expecting us to go out and spend more. Obviously we need 2/3 players minimum but if they're cheap or loans then fine by me if I look at it realistically.

Obviously hope they've do spend more but as you say we'll see!
I think Traore in CM and someone like Batshuayi without losing anyone would make this a good window, considering they could probably do those deals now if they wanted to though leads me to think they’re aiming higher. We’ll see though, I’m happy to wait if that gives us a chance at a higher calibre of player but they have to get some additions in by the time the window closes otherwise same as last year I’ll freely admit they’ve ****ed it up again.

Last edited:

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maupay to Forest.

More mediocre players ... I rate Steve Cooper but bringing all those players together will be a challenge. Honestly the only players I really rate their is Brennan Johnson who is from their academy and experienced in the prem and Lingard who will lose interest in favour of TikTok after a few bad results.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I've just posted above, I'm surprised and happy with the money spent so far.

I think it's stupid to have loaned Silva out before a replacement has come in and it's ridiculous the situation we find ourselves in with midfielders and strikers. It's pretty embarrassing to be honest and reflects really badly on those in charge. Hopefully today can buy them a bit of time but if we do lose they deserve the stick they will inevitably get.

But, yeah, get the midfielder and striker we need (as a minimum) and it can be viewed as a good window. Don't really care on the prices or whatever with those players. We just need experienced players in those positions. If they have to be cheap or loans then I totally get that because of the outlay already.
The times today suggests not loans

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No idea why we can’t go for a striker or midfielder from the championship. Forest agree 20m fee for Dennis meanwhile we want an unknown from France
Just reading that the Dennis fee is actually £12.5 plus £7.5 add-ons. Seems a good deal if the same as their concept of MGW add-ons.
Difficult to believe they will still shell out on MGW now unless it is a back to back deal after losing someone like Brennan Johnson for a large fee.

Back
Top Bottom