Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The appointment of a manager. It’s the biggest indicator of our plans.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have always believed that the appointment of a manager is the single most clear indication of where a club is going
Because a competent manager at this rarified level will want the job sold to him, the future and the plan and the finances.
Don’t believe the posters who say a good manager would see us as a challenge . They don’t think like that. They will want support.
It’s a bit like saying Harry Kane would come to Wolves because he will see it as a challenge. That doesn’t happen.
What happens this month sets our direction for the next three years. And beyond

Anyone think differently ?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh good, another thread on the same subject.
No it’s a much broader subject . Which needs discussion. This is timely .
I am trying to open up a discussion involving other clubs. Their choices and the history of those choices.
Don’t bother to post if you can’t see the bigger picture. Just squabble over named individuals like Lopetegui and Tuchel
This is about where we are going as a club. Which for three years has been in reverse. And now we can see if that is to change.
The fact Chelsea have gone for Potter shows a complete change in direction from Abramovich .
Are Wolves just going to go for a manager that tinkers with an existing squad . Or are we pressing the reset button ?

Last edited:

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a good point though. Bringing in someone like Martins doesn’t scream ambition whereas a Lopetegui or Amorim does.
Yep, agree with OP as well.

It's a very, very attractive job and if we appointed Martins it would be underwhelming.

Not saying he isn't good but would any other club in the league want him? I doubt it. That's usually a good indicator.

Chriswwfc

Reaction score
Am expecting to be disappointed

Despite the summer window, me too.

I don’t believe the board view the manager as they do players (saleable assets).

The manager or shall we say head coach, come in to direct the clubs assets.

For this reason I cannot see us getting anyone currently in work or who may make demands (AVB, Poch, Tuchel etc.)

The Olympiacos chap sounds about what I’m expecting. Can’t say if he’d be a good or a bad shout.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just said on another thread, I think we need to remember that we’re after a head coach, not a manager.

Who ever comes in will be responsible for getting the best out of the players on the training field. I doubt they will have much of a say when it comes to big decisions like transfers.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, agree with OP as well.

It's a very, very attractive job and if we appointed Martins it would be underwhelming.

Not saying he isn't good but would any other club in the league want him? I doubt it. That's usually a good indicator.
Plus we are currently in the bottom 3 so it’s absolutely crucial they get this right.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plus we are currently in the bottom 3 so it’s absolutely crucial they get this right.
I get that but also a win of mid table. So crucial we get it right but also one hell of an attractive proposition for someone.

Come on Wolves, get us a top one.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are there any British managers worth a look? See what Steve Clarke has done with Scotland!

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just said on another thread, I think we need to remember that we’re after a head coach, not a manager.

Who ever comes in will be responsible for getting the best out of the players on the training field. I doubt they will have much of a say when it comes to big decisions like transfers.
I think that is the same with all but Liverpool and City

Bogota Wolf

Reaction score

And, just to reinforce that there were many occasions when Lage was stating or inferring that he wasn't behind a move OR that he needed more players. Isn't it on the record that Shi, Sellars and Head Coach Lage decided on the transfers? So who is responsible for insufficient goalscorers and for flogging off and not replacing with enough central defenders. A new Head Coach will be in the same power structure.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It depends how heavily they decide to lean on Mendes for the next appointment. Zenga, Nuno and Lage were all appointed through Mendes. Martins would immediately tell me we've done the exact same.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It depends how heavily they decide to lean on Mendes for the next appointment. Zenga, Nuno and Lage were all appointed through Mendes. Martins would immediately tell me we've done the exact same.
Yes when we were really hot we wanted Lopetegui. Wanted by Spain and Real Madrid .
When we were off it was an unproven Bruno.
This appointment will tell us a lot. Which could be nothing is changing.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Someone like Potter would have done better coming to us. With our links to Mendes he could go on to bigger things.
Don’t get me wrong Chelsea are big but I can’t help feeling he will fail unless the owners have big balls when the big names start bitching.
He could be out at the first sign of trouble.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Over the years I have come to the conclusion that you are rather a dour soul.
Cheer up mate.
After 60 years of travelling home and away bitter experience influences my mindset, fortunately this year has proved once and for all my time is up, no more 5hr train journeys, no more arriving home 2am in the morning, just can't be ***** anymore, well over 2k games attended and I'm out, just wish I hadn't renewed my ST.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IMHO any truly exceptional manager (e.g. Emery, Tuchel, Poch) wont come because of the Mendes influence. They will want greater control over player personnel and Wolves don't offer that, especially since the remit for the incoming manager will be Premier league safety. Our European chances are done and dusted SFAIC considering the injury list and lack of squad depth.

So it will be someone from the Mendes stable, Lopetegui or Martins. I would be satisfied with the former, concerned with the latter.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After 60 years of travelling home and away bitter experience influences my mindset, fortunately this year has proved once and for all my time is up, no more 5hr train journeys, no more arriving home 2am in the morning, just can't be ***** anymore, well over 2k games attended and I'm out, just wish I hadn't renewed my ST.
Yes all that time all that money and for three goals and sluggish football. It’s a bugger .

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Someone like Potter would have done better coming to us. With our links to Mendes he could go on to bigger things.
Don’t get me wrong Chelsea are big but I can’t help feeling he will fail unless the owners have big balls when the big names start bitching.
He could be out at the first sign of trouble.
We'd have not paid the £20M release clause, so a moot point.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Huge, huge appointment
We need someone who is strong enough not just to change the mindset of the players, but also to say, "the recruitment team isn't good enough." And quite possibly, "the medical team isn't good enough."
I want Fosun to be really ambitious - someone like Martins and I'm going to worry about our survival
My personal preference is to pay the money for Amorim. I have worries about Lopetegui, simply because (like players) I think managers (with one or two notable exceptions like SAF) peak, and I fear he might be approaching his sell-by. Plus whether (at 56) he'd want to go straight from one job to another must be open to doubt.
Please, Jeff, be exciting, be ambitious, and get someone who'll make it a pleasure to watch Wolves again

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sure . And he wouldn’t have joined us.
But he would have been a good fit and I don’t think Chelsea is .
I can definitely see him with us in the future. If he's at Chelsea more than two years he'd be doing remarkably well.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This appointment will tell me whether it’s worth renewing next year.

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I expect Moutinho at least in the shirt term

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Good luck mate. Was out for 11 hours yesterday and I reckon there were 10 seconds of joy at the game when we briefly thought Podence had scored. Normally I don't even mind too much if the away end is jumping, but we never got behind the team once, not blaming anyone, there's just nothing to believe in. New beginnings next week,you'll be glad of that ST when we make the Cup Final. :rolleyes:

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is a massive appointment. Need to get it right.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You have to remember one thing though we are a project that is to build the brand and move players around Europe at profit imo. So they will try and get the next up and coming manager to make profit from mendes portfolio.

This is why we now are stuck in progressing any further.

Hope I am proven wrong but can see yet another yes man coming in and us still dithering.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good luck mate. Was out for 11 hours yesterday and I reckon there were 10 seconds of joy at the game when we briefly thought Podence had scored. Normally I don't even mind too much if the away end is jumping, but we never got behind the team once, not blaming anyone, there's just nothing to believe in. New beginnings next week,you'll be glad of that ST when we make the Cup Final. :rolleyes:
Gratefully knocked away games on the head and only bothered with 2 home games so far, health also an issue but far easier to just watch at home, turn off and pour another glass of whisky.. Feel for you, as from my time on here know you're one of the good guys despitre your politics!;)

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Using logic, I think we will go for somebody that’s proven at the required level.

The logic being based on spending a lot more money than most thought we would, this summer.

To not appoint someone who is capable of getting the best out of those players would be unforgivable. Akin to buying the best machinery available but not employing anyone capable of operating it.

It would just make no sense from a business point of view, to get a cheap unproven replacement. May as well have stuck with Bruno if that turns out to be the case. Can’t see it though, someone decided to get back on track this summer and this was probably part of the change.

Absolutely imperative that we get it right. I mean, a coach/manager that can come in and improve the talent we have and get them to gel, perhaps reignite the enthusiasm of Adama and one or two others and we may have some team. We have managed to build a good ship. We just need someone capable of sailing it.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You have to remember one thing though we are a project that is to build the brand and move players around Europe at profit imo. So they will try and get the next up and coming manager to make profit from mendes portfolio.

This is why we now are stuck in progressing any further.

Hope I am proven wrong but can see yet another yes man coming in and us still dithering.
If a guy like unai emery got an interview and came out and said " the recruitment team and medical staff aren't good enough" , he wouldn't be hired.
If its another yes man we may as well just forget about moving forward.
I'd love a director of football , a good one. ...he'd surely change things.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can I just say this? Whoever gets the job, right now I am just so relieved that Bruno has gone. I am getting on a bit (74 a couple of days ago) and I was seriously thinking I would stop going if he continued in the job. The nights are drawing in and the attractions of night games that mean I get home at 11.30 are wearing thin, especially if what I am likely to have witnessed in the previous two hours is a borefest of low intensity sideways passing and one goal if I'm lucky. There has GOT to be more to football than that. My first Wolves game was in 1954, and I must have seen over 1000 games. I have never felt as turned off from football as in the last couple of years. Please, Wolves management, gives us back a bit of EXCITEMENT, DRAMA and ENTERTAINMENT before I get too knackered to make the fortnightly pilgrimage. BSK

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom