Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The appointment of a manager. It’s the biggest indicator of our plans.

GV Wolf

Reaction score
From reading through all these threads everybody seems to want a different manager so a lot of people will be unhappy when the next appointment is made. How I look forward to all the new threads about how underwhelmed people are when the new head coach is announced.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can I just say this? Whoever gets the job, right now I am just so relieved that Bruno has gone. I am getting on a bit (74 a couple of days ago) and I was seriously thinking I would stop going if he continued in the job. The nights are drawing in and the attractions of night games that mean I get home at 11.30 are wearing thin,specially if what I am likely to have witnessed in the previous two hours is a borefest of low intensity sideways passing and one goal if I'm lucky. There has GOT to be more to football than that. My first Wolves game was in 1954, and I must have seen over 1000 games. I have never felt as turned off from football as in the last couple of years. Please, Wolves management, gives us back a bit of EXCITEMENT, DRAMA and ENTERTAINMENT before I get too knackered to make the fortnightly pilgrimage. BSK
Agree, my first game was in 1945 and I am so disappointed now despite the Bhatti brothers and other misfortunes. What's up with a company as large as Fosun that they can't get some quality football advice?

TriumphWolf

Reaction score
In my view, the Club ownership have recognised the need to invest in playing quality, hence the latest additions of Guedes, Nunes and Collins - they were not cheap options. Holding onto Neves also counts as a positive (rather than cashing in)
I suspect they will do the same with their next managerial (coaching) appointment and pay the going rate for someone capable of moulding the individuals into an effective team.

A decent appointment with nearly 80% of the season still to run, currently one win off mid table and 2 wins off 6th spot is not going to put off a good coach

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you have £200 million of assets surely they should be managed well.
But then we did employ Bruno and he was almost the cheapest manager in the Premier League . Crazy IMO

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree, my first game was in 1945 and I am so disappointed now despite the Bhatti brothers and other misfortunes. What's up with a company as large as Fosun that they can't get some quality football advice?
I don't think they realised how expensive it is. They try to cut corners and they are finding out that it's a false economy. Lage was appointed because he was cheap. Sellars is also very run of the mill considering the role he has. Both were a waste of money in my opinion and have taken /are still taking the club backwards.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are there any British managers worth a look? See what Steve Clarke has done with Scotland!
I'd absolutely love a British manager. They can do it - Eddie Howe at Newcastle and Potter at Brighton are stand-out examples. Really can't think of any others though who could match the brief at Wolves.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd absolutely love a British manager. They can do it - Eddie Howe at Newcastle and Potter at Brighton are stand-out examples. Really can't think of any others though who could match the brief at Wolves.
Rodgers will be out of work soon

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No matter who we get in appointing a coach is always a kind of gamble. Mourinho excellent at Porto & Chelsea hopeless at Man U and there are plenty of other examples where well known coaches with good CV’s have failed. Fosun don’t want to fail or sully their investment so hopefully they will have had their fingers burnt with Bruno and appoint a much better fit for the club. In that I mean someone who can connect with the fans and players and get this squad playing a much better brand of football. The big one for me though is the new coach must have Premier experience and I don’t mean big Sam or some other dinosaur I mean more like AVB or Emery.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have not put a manager down on here . But there's two questions that Shi ( wish Guo would fire him ) needs to ask .

Withe the current set of players where do you think we should be .....

What brand of football do you play ....

Then the answers if it is not top half and Attacking I wouldn't ask anymore questions. We want to be entertained not boring boring wanderers

This game is for entertainment. Cricket you tell me a test team playing like England have . Go out and attack the other team if we lose 5-3 and the players are blowing on their backs after 90 minutes I bet the fans will appreciate it more than of we lost 1-0 and had no shots .

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
Reading all the conjecture and debate around "who should become our next manager?", I can't help but feel that's not the real question we need to be asking.
Given what we know and what we've experienced, I feel we have additional parameters in place that render the likely question to be "Which of Jorge Mendes' managerial clients should become our next manager?"

While Mendes' influence on our club has brought largely positive outcomes over the past 5-6 years, the decision to appoint Lage must now be considered a genuine miss. Without his ties to Mendes, was Lage considered a shrewd appointment given the sea of more credentialed & experienced "non-Mendes" managers available? Certainty not. Lage ticked the important boxes of being a Mendes client and available. The fact he had a title winning season (with a powerhouse team in a league lacking competition I might add), at least gave Wolves supporters the glimmer of potential success.

Our next managerial/head coach appointment becomes the ultimate and transparent litmus test for FOSUN & Mendes inclinations. Like any football club, we need to consider the best candidates available, agnostic to their agency representation. Will we though? Or will we once again lean into the Mendes carousel? I personally don't have confidence of process driven by full meritocracy and assume it will be a Mendes driven appointment.

And if it is, I really hope we get a good one. If we end up with Pedro Martins, god help us.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I may as well join the other OAP posters on this thread, I have turned 70 this year and like others have said its no longer so easy getting to games though Im relatively local, when you get to a certain age it doesnt get any easier having to walk to and from the ground from wherever you need to park, personally what Nuno and his backroom team gave fans like me was hope, hope that we could take on the big boys again and beat them the FA Cup Semi Final was my best recent memory of the glory days coming back, it was also the biggest disappointment in that IMO we threw away in what was it 15 minutes what we had achieved in the previous 75, but we still qualified for european competition something I had not seen for many years and the younger fans had never even seen up the Molineux, that was the hope we all had with Nuno.
Wolves ie S & S need to appoint someone who can once again give us the hope that we can again take on the big boys, give us hope we can get to Cup Finals therefore qualify for Europe via that easier route not just pick up the crumbs by League position that the Super 6 or is it 7 now Newcastle have money to burn, Wolves should be aiming for a top 10 finish and strong runs in the FA and League Cups, those are achievable aims with this squad, we just need the right Coach with a bit of backing from Fosun to get back on track, Jeff dont mess up this appointment because some of us are running out hope and of years to see us win something worthwhile.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Think any manager we get, in a worst case scenario, could move on quite quickly as well so there will be some consideration on how that could pan out if both Neves and Moutinho have also left the club by then. So I could see a preference for one that would use Moutinho as part of his coaching staff than one who brings in his own team so Moutinho could at least hold the fort if things turned sour. Also keeps the benefits he brings for the respect he has from the Portuguese contingent and potential recruitment of others in the future.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think they realised how expensive it is. They try to cut corners and they are finding out that it's a false economy. Lage was appointed because he was cheap. Sellars is also very run of the mill considering the role he has. Both were a waste of money in my opinion and have taken /are still taking the club backwards.
Correct. In order to get in players they balanced the wages by shipping out Doherty, Traore, Silva, Boly, Coady. We are now very close to a crisis at the back as well as the front, it's obvious what that will spell no matter who comes in to manage us.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This is such a mad thought process to me.

It would be the equivalent of saying "I'd absolutely love a Welsh midfielder. They can do it - Gareth Bale or Aaron Ramsey are stand-out examples. Really can't think of any others who could match the brief at Wolves though."

Hugh Jarse

Reaction score
We've arguably had our best transfer window under Fosun.

I know we're struggling due to injuries and suspensions at the minute but we're only a couple of players off a really solid squad.

I feel we need to be bold with this appointment rather than take an easy option. Show we mean business.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The shortlist (and my rating)

1. Amorim (Main target 8.5/10)

Pros
Why, rising upcoming star from Portuguese league, proven ability in the league and got an amazing tune out of nunes. Plays a 3-4-3 mainly but has showed like the results against spurs that he can get a team moving forward.

Mendes client and Portuguese

Cons
Only managed in the Portuguese league, big 30m release clause, going to be extremely hard to persuade into the project. Still a gamble as was lage, to see if he will adapt quickly and to the squad.

2. Lopetugi (8/10)

Pros

Previous champions league experience, proven record in la liga with sevilla.

Struggling with Sevilla but still in management, prefers a 4-3-3 attacking formation which is probably the second best formation for the current squad.

Most experienced and most "winningest" manager on the list - also mendes client.

Cons

Notoriously plays a defensive style of football, will still require prying from Sevilla, although looks like he may be out the door.

3. AVB - (8.5/10) (my personal choice over Amorim due to his experience - in prem)

Pros

That he is outspoken and will want to get **** done, previous premier league experience. Portuguese speaker as well as good English, plays a 4-2-3-1, best formation for the current squad in my opininion.

Free agent

Cons

Been out of work for a while, appeared to fall out of love with football, very outspoken and could easily go to war with fosun and unharmonized the club

4. Martins (6/10)

Pros -

Won in the greek league, and again a Portuguese speaker, also managed Rio AVE, tends to play a 4-2-3-1, which is probably the best formation for the current squad.

Mendes Client

PPM 1.72

Cons

Just turned down the hull city role, been out of management, and managed an olympiakos side which basically could easily roll the league.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gratefully knocked away games on the head and only bothered with 2 home games so far, health also an issue but far easier to just watch at home, turn off and pour another glass of whisky.. Feel for you, as from my time on here know you're one of the good guys despitre your politics!;)
You will feel a lot better when we start winning

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mendes is our strength and our weakness.
Fosun must decide if they can limit his weaknesses and play to his strengths.
That’s what an investment company should do.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Since Cullis when have Wolves had a top manager?
We have had decent ones average ones and down right awful ones aplenty, but i cant name what you would call a top top manager
Probably closest would be Taylor and that ended well
So expecting anything different is more in hope than expectation isnt it?

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have had decent ones average ones and down right awful ones aplenty, but i cant name what you would call a top top manager
Bill McGarry ?

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The shortlist (and my rating)

1. Amorim (Main target 8.5/10)

Pros
Why, rising upcoming star from Portuguese league, proven ability in the league and got an amazing tune out of nunes. Plays a 3-4-3 mainly but has showed like the results against spurs that he can get a team moving forward.

Mendes client and Portuguese

Cons
Only managed in the Portuguese league, big 30m release clause, going to be extremely hard to persuade into the project. Still a gamble as was lage, to see if he will adapt quickly and to the squad.

2. Lopetugi (8/10)

Pros

Previous champions league experience, proven record in la liga with sevilla.

Struggling with Sevilla but still in management, prefers a 4-3-3 attacking formation which is probably the second best formation for the current squad.

Most experienced and most "winningest" manager on the list - also mendes client.

Cons

Notoriously plays a defensive style of football, will still require prying from Sevilla, although looks like he may be out the door.

3. AVB - (8.5/10) (my personal choice over Amorim due to his experience - in prem)

Pros

That he is outspoken and will want to get **** done, previous premier league experience. Portuguese speaker as well as good English, plays a 4-2-3-1, best formation for the current squad in my opininion.

Free agent

Cons

Been out of work for a while, appeared to fall out of love with football, very outspoken and could easily go to war with fosun and unharmonized the club

4. Martins (6/10)

Pros -

Won in the greek league, and again a Portuguese speaker, also managed Rio AVE, tends to play a 4-2-3-1, which is probably the best formation for the current squad.

Mendes Client

PPM 1.72

Cons

Just turned down the hull city role, been out of management, and managed an olympiakos side which basically could easily roll the league.
Great post .

I wont grumble at the names on that list. I prefer AVB because I think the unbalanced squad would feel like the shackles had been taken off them and they were allowed to be more attacking. Its ridiculous that with our attacking potential we are so bloody bad at scoring. He would tweak it nicely to 4-1-4-1 or 4-2-3-1 either of which would play to our strengths.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
one thing on this, we need permission to speak to loeptugi and amorim, from sevilla and sporting respectively.

If they are targets it will be quickly in the media that we have been given permission.

I do see AVB and thwn Martins leading the way, being free agents

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have so many winnable matches over the next month .
Lovely start for a new manager.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
conceicao another name alluded to and one that was suggested prior to brunos appointment.

It wont be today but im sure we will have a better idea of who might be interviewed by Wednesday

Vinny1971

Reaction score
Get Emery in and as part of backroom get Stowell from leicester & Rob Edwards who is currently out of work. Promote collins aswell in some 1st team capacity..And whilst we are at it get Kevin Philips in to work with the forwards......nurse

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why would we want a British manager? Most of them are trash and we don't benefit in any way over having a foreign manager

I couldnt care less where the manager comes from or whether he's a " name" if he can bring success and an attractive brand of football to Wolves.
We all know it will be a Mendes client with Portuguese connections though!

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It depends who wants to come though really, we may will be targeting some big names but they have got to fancy it.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
John Barnwell and Richie Barker. Two FA Cup semi finals, a League Cup win and 6th place in the League, all in three seasons.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
John Barnwell and Richie Barker. Two FA Cup semi finals, a League Cup win and 6th place in the League, all in three seasons.
Again good at the time for us but never what id call a top manager did nothing prior or since

Back
Top Bottom