Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The all new reverse-reverse Gary O’Neil humble pie safe space thread

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just about every club in the league do this to varying degrees. There have been many pieces written about it for a few years now.

It's cynical, but that's the culture of the game now.
Is it cynical though? It seems to me that the game in England, is on another level now, with teams full of some of the worlds best players managed by some of the best coaches, the pace, fitness and technical ability is off the charts, margins are narrow and tactics can make a bigger difference than ever.

Bondi Wolf

Reaction score
My take on Gary O’Neil is that he will never be truly loved by Wolves fans during his time here.

I don’t feel he has the charisma to be a complete crowd pleaser. Personally I feel he’s doing better than I hoped, which is very commendable, but I’d be neither gutted or happy if he were to stay or leave as things stand.

Caveat - Clearly I’ve not moved on from Nuno, although I knew this already, as I’m actually jealous/ resentful of the Notts Forrest fans for the bond they’ll likely end up forming with our former Portuguese hero.
I will love him. He has done really well. I care about results and progress.

Nuno got us up, and that was amazing. So did Mick and Jones. Keeping up us when we don't spend much is what matters.

I am happy with us being here forever.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just about every club in the league do this to varying degrees. There have been many pieces written about it for a few years now.

It's cynical, but that's the culture of the game now.

Part of nearly every team sport for decades…….

Nothing wrong with “gamesmanship” or the “dark arts”’when it is something like this.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, agree with next season. This year is an anomaly in terms of such terrible sides at the bottom of the table; it’s ideal for GON to put his stamp on the team… but it has to be a good stamp.
Can we stop with this ‘we’re luck the bottom 3 are so uniquely bad’ narrative. Taking the last 10 seasons the average points total for the bottom 3 (rounded up) is 36 so the current 3 are only 1 win from the average and our average league position for the points we are on would be 12th. The worst bottom 3 at this point were in the 20/21 season. At no point in the last 10 seasons would we be in relegation trouble.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
My take on Gary O’Neil is that he will never be truly loved by Wolves fans during his time here.

I don’t feel he has the charisma to be a complete crowd pleaser. Personally I feel he’s doing better than I hoped, which is very commendable, but I’d be neither gutted or happy if he were to stay or leave as things stand.

Caveat - Clearly I’ve not moved on from Nuno, although I knew this already, as I’m actually jealous/ resentful of the Notts Forrest fans for the bond they’ll likely end up forming with our former Portuguese hero.
I quite like him actually. Certainly as much as I liked all the other head coaches before Nuno.
If he keeps us up this season given the hand he was dealt with, I would say he’s done his job.
If he has funds in the summer and builds his own squad, then he will be fairly judged.
But so far, I like his honesty. He’s also getting a tune out of a limited squad.
He isn’t the “name” that some people think we deserve but he’s exceeding expectations right now and deserves a fair chance. Whether he will be loved or not will be more obvious after seeing what he achieves at the end of the season and perhaps the next. Who knows in football? Win us a trophy- we’ll all love him.

loppers86

Reaction score
He’s done much more than expected. Against Chelsea he proved very visibly that he can change tactics mid-game. He really is an excellent young manager.

Having said that, i still don’t like him. i don’t know why, but the sooner he’s gone the better as far as I'm concerned.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can we stop with this ‘we’re luck the bottom 3 are so uniquely bad’ narrative. Taking the last 10 seasons the average points total for the bottom 3 (rounded up) is 36 so the current 3 are only 1 win from the average and our average league position for the points we are on would be 12th. The worst bottom 3 at this point were in the 20/21 season. At no point in the last 10 seasons would we be in relegation trouble.
Fair enough but I can’t see a multi team relegation battle to the death this season.

Im not in the camp of saying it’s lucky because we would go down, I’m saying it’s lucky for us because we should be safe early and then GON can experiment a little more with players and systems.

Wolf79

Groupie
Reaction score
He’s done much more than expected. Against Chelsea he proved very visibly that he can change tactics mid-game. He really is an excellent young manager.

Having said that, i still don’t like him. i don’t know why, but the sooner he’s gone the better as far as I'm concerned.
‘He really is an excellent young manager.
But the sooner he’s gone the better as far as I am concerned’

What are you talking about?

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
‘He really is an excellent young manager.
But the sooner he’s gone the better as far as I am concerned’

What are you talking about?
Look mate, just because he's an excellent young manager whom many people (wolves and other supporters) find likeable doesn't mean loppers86 has to like him when the option to Not Like Him is sitting right there waiting to be taken.

A siren's call, the opportunity to not like the excellent young manager of the club you support. That so many other supporters on here can resist this temptation speaks to either being tied to the mast of self-negation or else having their ears plugged by all the propaganda the club pushes out.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Look mate, just because he's an excellent young manager whom many people (wolves and other supporters) find likeable doesn't mean loppers86 has to like him when the option to Not Like Him is sitting right there waiting to be taken.

A siren's call, the opportunity to not like the excellent young manager of the club you support. That so many other supporters on here can resist this temptation speaks to either being tied to the mast of self-negation or else having their ears plugged by all the propaganda the club pushes out.
Very interesting response…….in a good way. Perhaps a pro?
edit….you a writer, editor, etc?

Last edited:

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

"I still don't like him, I don't know why.."

Who are you kidding? Everybody on the mix, and their ****ing dogs knows why!!

The House of Wolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I recommend seeing a psychiatrist asap.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you ever support a manager?
Of course. Chelsea was the first time we played well in weeks. Questions must be asked

If we go back to the Fulham/West Ham performance again today all our hard work is undone. We need to improve. It’s great Molineux is a fortress. Without away form we will never be anything more than bottom half. The recent away performances illnesses or not have been unacceptable.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you ever support a manager?
in fairness, MEW doesn’t strike me as one of the perennial moaners, i could be wrong!
i was against GON and made some stupid statements at the start which i regret.
i’m not sure he’s the right man long-term and he also has a lot to learn, but he’s humble, willing and a hell of a nice guy too.

He’s a damn sight better than Saunders or Solbakken were for us!!
He’s also far more likeable than Lopetegui, and doing a similar job considering the resources available too.
there’s nothing to be gained from not accepting we will have up and downs, considering the lack of pre season, the ridiculous politics and selling spree that occurred and change in approach to fit with ffp.

Bondi Wolf

Reaction score
Of course. Chelsea was the first time we played well in weeks. Questions must be asked

If we go back to the Fulham/West Ham performance again today all our hard work is undone. We need to improve. It’s great Molineux is a fortress. Without away form we will never be anything more than bottom half. The recent away performances illnesses or not have been unacceptable.
Which manager did you support?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which manager did you support?
I have never supported a manager, or indeed head coach as Mick was our last manager. I support a team, namely Wolverhampton Wanderers.

That support isn't blind or unconditional though. Fosun have overall been good owners but massively ****ed up over finances and the firesale that resulted massively impaired our progress and momentum. It also cost us a top class head coach, who was unprepared to start a second successive season - albeit at different clubs - with a hollowed-out weakened team, who was replaced with an inexperienced novice. Highly promising perhaps but still a novice.

Let's be brutally honest. There is now one PL team with a former Wolves head coach markedly better currently than our own present one. Before very long that is likely to be two.

Last edited:

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will love him. He has done really well. I care about results and progress.

Nuno got us up, and that was amazing. So did Mick and Jones. Keeping up us when we don't spend much is what matters.

I am happy with us being here forever.
Interesting comment.
I suppose if someone gave me the choice of staying in the PL as a permanent mid table side thus achieving nothing but the status, or dropping a division and experiencing a season similar to our promotion one, I'd have to sit down with a generous cognac and think that one over.
The possibility of a good cup run or European qualification keeps me going, tbh.

Bondi Wolf

Reaction score
Interesting comment.
I suppose if someone gave me the choice of staying in the PL as a permanent mid table side thus achieving nothing but the status, or dropping a division and experiencing a season similar to our promotion one, I'd have to sit down with a generous cognac and think that one over.
The possibility of a good cup run or European qualification keeps me going, tbh.
I have the same thoughts. A big part of our personality as a club is striving to get promoted.

When we did it the first couple of time it was about survival.

Now it's about staying her and being established.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
why do you need to react this way WW?
I tend not to react particularly well to flippant obviously BS comments in response to what l believe was a balanced post. I certainly wouldn't have responded in the same way to a post discussing or even dissecting my own.

Indeed l haven't to you. Notably though you didn't ask the same question of the person who tried a ridiculous smear (questioning my status as a supporter). Perhaps because you share their views?

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed, this "this is the worst PL ever" has been said, repeatedly, since our promotion. It's *******s, to further bizarre negative agendas.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting comment.
Those latter 2 options are always there for a mid PL side

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i didn’t see it as flippant.
I didn’t see it as BS
i didn’t see it as a smear
You are entitled to your views and l am happy to discuss those. The post l replied to questioned my support (as l am a ST holder who travels 300 miles round trip to home games l resent that) but didn't seek to address the issues.

Back
Top Bottom