Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2024 transfer window thread.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
And as many of us have said, and O’Neil reiterates…

Talk regarding any doubt over Mosquera’s future at Molineux comes as he told Spanish media of his desire to remain in Spain, comments that O’Neil dismissed.

“He’s a nice guy and I’m guessing if you’re sat in Spain at Villarreal and someone asks you if you’d like to stay, the normal answer is ‘oh yeah I’d love to stay’.”

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So your saying a 24 year old won’t improve? That’s crazy. 4/6 years to reach Semedos level. Home grown too. He can also play left back. What’s not to like? A lovely cheap option available to us under our new self sustainability model.

Semedo is 31 in November won’t improve any further time to cash in instead of losing him for nothing in 12 months? His wages are reportedly high. No doubting he’s come good for us, but the financial side will talk on this matter you would think.
We write off players far too early. Martinez was again world class tonight and we had him for a dozen or so games when he was aged in his early twenties.

Others, too, wrote him off.

There's no accounting for when a player comes good. I never thought that Semedo would come good for us but now he's hit peak form at 30.

It's pretty much all a gamble.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And also longer lasting in the fans memories.

Utd can (and will) continue to spray ludicrous amounts of money around and will get a lot wrong and maybe some right. Their fans won't worry too much when the chequebook comes out again...

But for Wolves, the next time we want to spend a huge sum on an untested teenager, the fans will be nervous and the club will err because of that. ....which could lead to us missing out on the next big thing.

We have to trust the process.
Man United make £650m a year and so can afford a team of Harry Maguires and Anthonys on £200k per week.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hoever is **** for Stoke mate, they can’t work out why he gets picked and reckon his attitude stinks. If we can flog him for £5m I’d do it tomorrow
He won't become a superstar until he's off our books.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So we meekly sell all these players (four or five of whom could easily be in demand this summer) and supposedly replace them with no net effect on the quality of the team? That is truly dreamland and could easily lead to disaster. If a player is on a sufficiently long contract Wolves are still in the driving seat and can decide who, when and on what acceptable terms a player will leave. If clubs don't match an asking price, as often happens, then nothing goes ahead even if an agent is trying to pressurise a move.
Of course from time to time you take the money if it is high enough and it suits your squad plans.
What I object to is your and other people's assumptions that we will automatically sell our best players when a Man U, Liverpool or Chelsea come calling. Wolves are not so small as many of you suggest. Yes we need to trade like any club but we have an owner with deep pockets who won't want to see its investment value collapse by watering down the quality if its playing squad . Also which manager of any worth is going to hang around when his best players are being sold off willy nilly?

The assumption that players like Cunha or Ait-Nouri can be easily replaced with equal quality is laughable. Again, if Wolves are simply perceived as a bottom six 'selling club' which player of quality would ever want to join them? And why should our other better players want to hang around also with a club that demonstratively has zero ambition?
Categorising the club only as a stepping stone rather than as as a very good option in itself for any quality professional player is insulting. If any player, such as a Nunes, sees us only in this light we shouldn't touch them with a barge pole. The kind of mercenaries that destroy team spirit and morale. If we find ourselves with a worldbeater that another club is willing to pay £100m for then so be it but this should be the exception rather than the rule you suggest is inevitable always.

The club are not as helpless as you claim if they play their cards right. The problem arises when they waste £77m on three strikers who for different reasons, are useless and whose value has speedily plummeted. That is what creates the real financial pressure to sell when you don' t necessarily want to.
While in some ways l agree, l suspect that the reason why at least some up and coming players sign for us is that we offer a potential pathway to the Sky 6 and their European counterparts. The danger of adopting your approach is the potential impact on future signings. Notably even a club like Brighton which is very good at getting top dollar seems to accept the reality that players will go.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plenty of people coming back from loans capable of making an impact

Cundle, Mosquera, Chiquinho, Lembikisa, maybe Podence

Otherwise the free agent market won’t hurt if we offer good wages
Two of those, namely Cundle and Lembiksa, hardly seem to have shone on their respective loans....

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rubbish. For some people the only striker 'in our league' is Che bloody Adams who despite finding some goals of late is in Premier League terms a squad filler.

Unfortunately it comes down to price!

We all have ambitions and want the best players at Wolves .... but where have you been the last season or two?

Wolves aren't paying that sort of money no matter how much you deride them and fellow supporters for " lack of ambition".

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While in some ways l agree, l suspect that the reason why at least some up and coming players sign for us is that we offer a potential pathway to the Sky 6 and their European counterparts. The danger of adopting your approach is the potential impact on future signings. Notably even a club like Brighton which is very good at getting top dollar seems to accept the reality that players will go.

While I have a lot of Wolves tinted glasses with my opinions, we simply aren't a big club these days like we used to be just like Everton aren't. We have a big history, but once clubs with more financial muscle or a better status want our players, they are going to leave. As you say, players see us as a stepping stone to bigger things.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We write off players far too early. Martinez was again world class tonight and we had him for a dozen or so games when he was aged in his early twenties.

There's no accounting for when a player comes good. I never thought that Semedo would come good for us but now he's hit peak form at 30.

I agree with some of what you say, but we have to make a decision on players at some point in time and can't keep them all on the books, just in case they come good. I would argue that we've got rid of loads more players that have bombed, than come good. It's just that the Martinez's and Goncalves's and Rafa Mir's and dare I say, Morgan Gibbs-White stick in the memory.
As far as Martinez is concerned; even Arsenal let him go after having him on their books for 9 years, continually loaning him out and they didn't see him getting to the level he is now. We had him for 13 matches on loan!
Should we hang on to Silva and Hoever and Jordao and Guedes, just in case? They've had loads of chances. Or should we get their wages off the books, freeing-up funds for new players.
As you say, a lot of it is a gamble and none of us likes to see a player that we've released, blossom elsewhere, but the trick is spotting the potential stars and either keeping them to play at Wolves or maximising their value in a transfer. It's simply not practical to keep all players in the hope that we don't miss a player that stars elsewhere.

Bradstonian

Reaction score

So there’s hope for Fabio…

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This one seems to be gaining traction.

"One of the teams that is willing to take Álvaro to the Premier is Wolverhampton . The English club has already contacted the player's entourage to certify his situation within Las Palmas. There is no official offer yet , but there will be. The 'Wolves' currently have three goalkeepers, although none from Valles' youth"

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This one seems to be gaining traction.

"One of the teams that is willing to take Álvaro to the Premier is Wolverhampton . The English club has already contacted the player's entourage to certify his situation within Las Palmas. There is no official offer yet , but there will be. The 'Wolves' currently have three goalkeepers, although none from Valles' youth"
Yep seems to be a big desire to bring in a young up and coming Keeper this window

Planty

Groupie
Reaction score
Hope gazza gets what he needs in the summer otherwise he'll probably walk/go to west ham

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Goalie we allright as long as Sa doesn´t get injured.
We look to strength here?
Best a Pound a stone can get us..Goalie department is vital to us.

Defence..without outgoings we are looking to upgrade Kilman and or Dawson.
Mosq doesn´t seem all that eager to taste the soul of Prem Football...and that is it ladies and gents.
We need to upgrade here.

Midfield?
The poor mans Nelson Semedo and the rich mans Ait Nouri.
We´ll see changes here..and we dont wanna cry tears for fears anyhow.
We gonna be bringing in another wing back..to the sound of 55 Mill plus coming our way via Rayans departure.

Attack..we need another guy in the shadows able playing number 9.

This is it..let´s spend the cash we are on the receving end of for Ait Nouri and possibly Neto to streghten our squad while at the same time maintaining our beat on the pitch.

We do this..we are looking towards a brighteing future under Gary.

Just go to work hey..you are holding my whole entire hart Thompson Twins style.

Do not let me down.I´m in a love realtionship here.

FFS.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He played in the 3rd round for Soton so unless we had got him in the first week of January he would have been cup tied
So my point was still right then! If we had got him in January! Since there’s a thread about him long before January!! We have been linked to him for about 18 months now ffs

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've been linked with Gabriel Sara this morning

I suspect he would be our first choice midfield replacement if we're given an offer we can't refuse for Gomes. I'd be all for it if he was! Can't see us spending big in the midfield otherwise.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've been linked with Gabriel Sara this morning

I suspect he would be our first choice midfield replacement if we're given an offer we can't refuse for Gomes. I'd be all for it if he was! Can't see us spending big in the midfield otherwise.
I can see us bringing in a midfielder.......with one leaving.....I reckon it will be bouba ....

Sara has the same agent as Gomes......

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can see us bringing in a midfielder.......with one leaving.....I reckon it will be bouba ....

Sara has the same agent as Gomes......
I think Bouba has something about him, he just doesn't fit in to Gary's vision it seems. Changing him for Sara would be the upgrade of the season! We've already got a strong Brazilian contingent to help entice him too.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Bouba has something about him, he just doesn't fit in to Gary's vision it seems. Changing him for Sara would be the upgrade of the season! We've already got a strong Brazilian contingent to help entice him too.
Yes I agree....I wasn't dishing bouba as such...he is a holding midfielder, behind in the pecking order to the other 3 we have....Gary just doesn't want to use him.....numbers wise there is nothing wrong with our depth in midfield 4 plus bellegarde...but if you don't trust one and have to use the other one further forward, the 3 you use are overused as such...

Bouba doest give us a tactical sub or tactical change ...where as Sara would give us both the depth and tactical variation..... People threat when you suggest a player might go , as we are short, but you have to look at what they are offering and it isn't a lot with Bouba.....if I was a betting man I reckon if we spend any money in the championship Sara maybe the one I would bet on.

I expect we may use the championship to address a couple of squad depth problem and the the likes of Sara, are the type I reckon we may look at.....but I don't expect them to be just additions as they could be instead of, I reckon......

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we were to do so, and l doubt it too, l imagine it would be on a forward.
This is where the rumour falls down for me. We know we're shopping on the £10-15m rack, we won't get Sara for that! As you say, IF we were to push the boat out, it should be on a striker.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is where the rumour falls down for me. We know we're shopping on the £10-15m rack, we won't get Sara for that! As you say, IF we were to push the boat out, it should be on a striker.

10-15m and a cundle?

10-15m and a hodge?

10-15m and a hoever?

Where there are expendable players who are championship quality on the books, deals can be done.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They won’t want those three players.

How do you know that? We don’t know their plans.

They were just quick names to throw out there.

we could always do 25m and Fabio silva

Hahahahaha

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
10-15m and a cundle?

10-15m and a hodge?

10-15m and a hoever?

Where there are expendable players who are championship quality on the books, deals can be done.
If they're valuing him at close to £30m it would have to be all 3!

Back
Top Bottom