Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2024 transfer window thread.

dnf14

Reaction score
The new Guedes but without the price tag?
He’s an exceptional and humble kid who I keep in touch with. I highlight his speed, irreverence, ability to work and verticality (gets up and down). He’s got a lot of pace, the ability to go one-on-one, carry play and constantly move deep, both out wide and inside out. Many clubs are looking for these qualities.
Sounds nothing like Guedes imo.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Some analysis of his game here… sounds like a very attacking player, somewhat like Marcos Alonso, but who needs to work on his defensive attributes, especially against dynamic players like Cole Palmer.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should be looking at offering Silva as part of any Portuguese deals such as this. Think it would be the best route to offload Fabio.
Not really, I suspect we'd much prefer a "cash" deal. With rumours of Spain and Italy being interested he won't be back here next year, which is what we need.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does look like we are after a bit of cover for Tot without breaking the bank...as I said before heard we was interested in Lloyd Kelly....I suppose Miranda is a similar profile player and Cresswell in a way ...

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should be looking at offering Silva as part of any Portuguese deals such as this. Think it would be the best route to offload Fabio.
I don’t disagree but the wages in the Portuguese league are poor away from the big few clubs and unless Fabio goes to Sporting or Benfica as their bus driver, he isn’t going near a top club again. How long does Fabio have on his contract? I can’t imagine we can get more than 8m for him now and even that may represent good business ignoring the absurd price we paid for him.

I’m not being inflammatory but Fabio could be the worst signing in world football history on a comparative basis. Chelsea and United have made some poor big money signings over the years but have far deeper pockets than us, so it’s the equivalent of us making a terrible 12/15m signing. We paid £35m for an untested youth team player who has gone on to score 4 goals for us in over 60 appearances.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not being inflammatory but Fabio could be the worst signing in world football history on a comparative basis. Chelsea and United have made some poor big money signings over the years but have far deeper pockets than us, so it’s the equivalent of us making a terrible 12/15m signing. We paid £35m for an untested youth team player who has gone on to score 4 goals for us in over 60 appearances.
I think if you purely look at it from a financial point of view then you might be right. Talent wise I would say its harsh though, I can't see anyone ever topping Ali Dia. Even in our history the Pole without a goal stands out as worse, Sami Al Jaber too. I'm sure others could mention a few I've missed too.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So where is the PL money going?? Yearly wage bill way under 60m?????
Maybe that doesn't include loan players. We've got £200k per week tied up in Guedes, Pod, Silva and Sasa. You'd need someone better at finance and with more patience than me to review the accounts if you want a more accurate answer :)

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe that doesn't include loan players. We've got £200k per week tied up in Guedes, Pod, Silva and Sasa. You'd need someone better at finance and with more patience than me to review the accounts if you want a more accurate answer :)
Tv, money, sponsorship, player sales. We should be more than self sufficient!!

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Firstly don’t believe everything you read in a newspaper.

Secondly what would Raul, Moutinho, Neves have been on average £4-5m each? Could easily add £25m+ when you add in Jonny, Nunes and Traore.

Interest and repayments on Macquarie loans.

Expecting a lot healthier numbers when we click through this year to set us up for clean sale, part investment or ability to spend close to what we bring in.

The future is bright.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Secondly what would Raul, Moutinho, Neves have been on average £4-5m each? Could easily add £25m+ when you add in Jonny, Nunes and Traore.

Expecting a lot healthier numbers when we click through this year to set us up for clean sale, part investment or ability to spend close to what we bring in.

The future is bright.
I was using it as a guide more than anything. While it won't be exactly right, you know the big 6, Newcastle, AV, Everton, West Ham will all spend more than us. That puts us in the bottom half of spenders. Forest gave out massive contracts to get players there, so they'll be above us. Palace and Fulham are both in London so will pay more. That leaves 14th down.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amortization cost will be most of it....we've gotta pay transfer fee for players.... would say we still owe out more than incomings on the whole...

Then there is all the general bills we all get....gas electricity, transport costs, insurance bills, medical bills..

If fosun are aving us over they were doing a good job of hiding it in the accounts when we lost 60/70m the previous season......

Last edited:

dnf14

Reaction score
According to a Daily Mail article a just found from a couple of weeks ago, our total weekly wage bill is £830k, which also ranks us as 17th in overall wages spend
Mail got their figures from SportBible who in turn got them from Capology, the website that says Fabio Silva is on £80k p/w, RAN is on £10k p/w and Enso is on £20k p/w.
Not saying we're not very low on the wage ladder but I'd take a heap of salt with the Mail article.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mail got their figures from SportBible who in turn got them from Capology, the website that says Fabio Silva is on £80k p/w, RAN is on £10k p/w and Enso is on £20k p/w.
Not saying we're not very low on the wage ladder but I'd take a heap of salt with the Mail article.
Exactly how does anybody nw any clubs wage bills from this season when the accounts won't be released before December at the earliest...

It's guesswork at best ..

Brizzlewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The future is bright.
That's a bit of a stretch..............

...............calling the Daily Mail a newspaper......

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t disagree but the wages in the Portuguese league are poor away from the big few clubs and unless Fabio goes to Sporting or Benfica as their bus driver, he isn’t going near a top club again. How long does Fabio have on his contract? I can’t imagine we can get more than 8m for him now and even that may represent good business ignoring the absurd price we paid for him.

I agree hes up there, but probably Drinkwater,DeMaria and Mangala were worse off the top of my head im sure theres more out there

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree hes up there, but probably Drinkwater,DeMaria and Mangala were worse off the top of my head im sure theres more out there
Winston Bogarde...

Zero appearances in the last three seasons of his contract at Chelsea (only 9 in total), on reportedly £40k/week in 2000, and "Why should I throw fifteen million euro away when it is already mine? At the moment I signed it was in fact my money, my contract. Both sides agreed wholeheartedly (...) Few people will ever earn so many. I am one of the few fortunates who do. I may be one of the worst buys in the history of the Premiership, but I don't care."

Last edited:

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We buy players - some work, some don’t.

We sell players - some work at new club, some don’t.

We don’t buy players - some we miss out on, some we don’t.

What is success? Sell for more than bought? (SGB would fail there as would any player seeing out contracting or retiring at Wolves) Add to club’s history? Something else?

What success rate is reasonable from transfers - 50%, 67%,75%,90%? Is that the same for transfers for players in England vs Europe vs South America?

Silva has not worked out and with hindsight is a huge fee. However, bought one year after Joao Felix was sold for over £110m. Fabio was a speculative investment in a rising market. It was high risk, high reward/high loss.

Overall, I’d say our success rate has been good and per my separate thread Fosun have added material value to the squad - despite Silva/Guedes and Semedo transfer fees spent.

Our policy will be spend less than we did on those signings and hope to see them come good. Any transfer is a risk. Let’s move on and look forward to a refresh over the Summer.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I totally agree, but those inaccuracies will be replicated across all teams. Like I said in another post, you can guarantee at least 14 clubs have higher weekly salaries than us. Brighton are one that's listed above us which I didn't count as I'm pretty sure they'll be counting all of Fati's 160k which is doubtful they're paying in full. If you said we're in the bottom 25% it wouldn't be far off.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You say Fabio Silva?

I raise you Antony. The guy is probably L1 level.

At least Silva can compete in top leagues

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Jean-Kevin Augustin at Leeds has entered the chat.

FB_IMG_1713514745342.jpg

Back
Top Bottom