Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From Jeff's letter:

"The positive thing is that FFP is based on a rolling number, season by season, so if we do manage it well this summer, next summer we will be more free financially"

Lets get next years transfer window thread up and running!

thanksgiving.gif

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have to admit that I have no idea about any (bar Doyle) of the players we have signed (or verbally agreed to sign), or been strongly linked with. I dont know whether they add quality to the squad, ones for the future of will not want to be here! I am glad that we have some more numbers in as we were looking at having 15 year olds on the bench regularly or 2 x sub GKs again, but I will wait to see whether the scouting team have been successful and found gems that will settle in quickly and be suited to the PL.
Of the signings, I am most enthused about Doyle - Man City pedigree, England U21 Captain and a good season in the Championship, so used to the pressure, speed, physicality and intensity of English football and hopefully he can step up to the increase in all of those things in the PL, although that isnt guaranteed.....and ManCity were happy to sell him....!!!
Many people considered MGW not really good enough for the PL having only had a season in the Championship at SheffU; Scott, Hamer and Gyokeres were also equally considered to be risks but hopefully Doyle, at least, can come good and I do think that it is less of a risk to buy young talent on the way up who have good experience in the Championship rather than youngsters from S America or even Europe. Time will tell.
My glass remains half empty.....but at least it has something in it, rather than nothing!!!!!!!!
Don’t judge city being happy to sell as a negative.

The city academy is really just a production line of players to sell, they base the success of the academy more on revenue from sales to fund bigger signings than ones who make the first team. The first team quality ones are the bonus.

It is the opposite of most clubs who want it to produce first team options.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
i wonder if we have enough money to sign that blackburn mid and leave him at blackburn for the season ? might work out all round ?
Could maybe do a deal with a player going the other way as well e.g. Hodge on loan this season with a £4.3m valuation on his head, and him signing perm for them next season.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What do we think about the two French players. The bid was rejected for the one, and I have seen reports that we are close to agreeing terms with Bellegarde.

He is only 5'7" and doesn’t score many. Now I haven't watch any clips on him, but is he any good?
Moutinho was 5’7” and did not score many.

dnf14

Reaction score
Wolverhampton will now be able to focus on Bellegarde
Article:

An offer of €25 million, including bonus, from Wolverhampton for Habib Diarra, was refused by Strasbourg.

Under contract until 2027, Habib Diarra is being courted. After seeing Strasbourg refuse three offers from Lens, the 19-year-old midfielder was approached by Wolverhampton. The Premier League club offered €25 million, including bonuses .

Inflexible, considering Diarra as a player with high potential entering the new project carried by BlueCo , the RCSA politely refused the Wolves offer. The latter are also interested in Jean-Ricner Bellegarde (25 years old, 2024), who has an exit voucher.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Podence is not being sold (for a reasonable amount), if we can be used by players aka Nunes, then it can work in reverse, I would rather Podences 5 goals keeps us up, he walks away next summer for nothing than pick up a relatively smaller amount of £5-6 million. The few goals could be the difference between his transfer fee and staying in the premier league. So long as he isn’t to much of a ‘bad egg’, then reintroduce him into the squad.
What’s the saying, ‘don’t cut your nose off to spite your face’, all about bigger picture which is staying in the Premier League.
PS. I’m not a massive Podence fan, but he has ability and can on occasion get assists or score goals.
About where l am at.

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we do now prioritise a striker as one of our signings, who do we think is most likely to come through the door? Assume Adams and Iheanacho are the most likely

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho was 5’7” and did not score many.

All very true.

I don't understand why we need Gomes, Lemina, Buba, Hodge, Doyle, Bellegarde, Diarra, Neto, and now Enso for four slots across the midfield - especially as RAN has also been playing on the wing.

Ok, Hodge is injured and may well have gone out on loan and Enso is only a kid but that is a lot of central midfielders.

I just wonder if there is another surprise departure - maybe Neto or Buba.

I guess I am just surprised that after getting Doyle they appear to be biding for both Bellegarde and Diarra. I just wanted to understand what Bellegarde had that made him a target.

I have taken a look at some of his videos and he looks like a small central attacking midfielder that likes a run with the ball from central areas. Not a bad player, but not as impressive as Doyle's championships show reel I don't think.

Still you have to trust the judgement of the scouts and Hobbs to pull off a master stroke

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we do now prioritise a striker as one of our signings, who do we think is most likely to come through the door? Assume Adams and Iheanacho are the most likely
We won’t prioritise a striker.
Silva is staying, Sasa is getting match fit (albeit we know there are questions on injuries), we have Cunha and we have Fraser.

It’s a midfielder we are looking for.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely we only have time to sign players we are already in advanced talks with. Any players we are 'monitoring' or 'have enquired about' I think we can forget about.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were told this summer we were in the **** by Johnny Phillips. That has pretty much come to pass. We have seen a couple of excellent posts explaining that Fosun are also on the ****.
Given that our esteemed manager, record signing , captain, three highest earners after that in Raul Moutinho Traore and others like Costa are no longer here on the wage bill and we have added some depth I am just hoping the additions bed in quickly.. The last two seasons have been pretty turgid. It has to improve
"has to improve"....? We are all hoping that is so, but it is far from a given particularly after all that has happened over the summer.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bellegarde & Elvedi would be my wish list for today mr hobbs if you want to get us McTominay on the cheap as United ain’t got no cash feel free also. AWB for Semedo also offers food for thought lol
I think it’s the former.

What we have done with Diarra is equivalent of chatting up the best mate of the girl you fancy to get a reaction.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its rudy galetti fake journalist
And just what are your credentials? You've literally said nothing that's then come true, and any of us could have said it's a big day today - well knock me over with a feather, it's nearly deadline day and we know we're signing players!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would rather ihenacho out of that pair, but they different strengths so it is all about what role we want the striker to play.

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bellegarde & Elvedi would be my wish list for today mr hobbs if you want to get us McTominay on the cheap as United ain’t got no cash feel free also. AWB for Semedo also offers food for thought lol
Don't think Elvedi in needed anymore with Bueno coming in. Dawson or Bueno at RCB and Kilman or Toti at LCB are sufficient imo.

Bellegarde is the one I want though. Replaces Nunes' ball-carrying abilities through the middle but looks to have more to his game than just that, unlike Matheus. Can play centrally or on the left, offering us cover in two positions we look light.

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The cheapest option.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's entirely possible that Brighton signing Fati could go tits up in a big way.
He is likely to go there thinking he's Billy big ****** on big money and upset a dressing room that from the outside looks tight nit.
I don't think that one will end well.
It often seems that clubs who do well buying and developing cheaper players come a cropper when going up a category and signing more expensive "name" players. I'll watch that one with interest.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's entirely possible that Brighton signing Fati could go tits up in a big way.
He is likely to go there thinking he's Billy big ****** on big money and upset a dressing room that from the outside looks tight nit.
I don't think that one will end well.
It's a loan deal with no option & Brighton are only paying 80% of the salary too. If he flops then he'll just go back to Barca next summer, and I'm sure if he was to upset the dressing room he'd most likely just be sent back early anyway.

All in all it's very low risk & high reward - Contrast that to the deal Mendes was trying earlier in the summer that involved Neves + cash with Fati going the other way & it's night & day. Shows where his priorities lie, & it's not with us anymore that's for sure...

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Please Wolves concentrate on quality now not back up or squad players. Che Adams is exactly the kind of player we don't need. Aim higher, we actually have some money now. Iheanacho would be ok but seems to be over-priced at £20m. Hugo Ekitike is being chased by Palace and West Ham-why not us? Huge potential and definitely available- possibly on loan. The squad needs a bit of extra spark rather than simply 'workmanlike' players as squad fillers. Obviously its all very late in the day now and it might be better to keep our powder dry till January-although that is always a difficult and inflated market.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a loan deal with no option & Brighton are only paying 80% of the salary too. If he flops then he'll just go back to Barca next summer, and I'm sure if he was to upset the dressing room he'd most likely just be sent back early anyway.

All in all it's very low risk & high reward - Contrast that to the deal Mendes was trying earlier in the summer that involved Neves + cash with Fati going the other way & it's night & day. Shows where his priorities lie, & it's not with us anymore that's for sure...
Precisely. Brighton know what they are doing and have become more and more attractive to players who in the past would have turned their nose up at them. Fati didn't fancy a move to us even with Loptegui it seems. Not fussed as I think he could have been another Guedes/Nunes using us as a stepping stone and demanding high wages.

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It often seems that clubs who do well buying and developing cheaper players come a cropper when going up a category and signing more expensive "name" players. I'll watch that one with interest.
Brighton are just the next team having their moment in the sun.

Before that it was ourselves, before that Southampton and before Saints were Swansea. All playing good football and finding or developing some great talents.

Same story as before that the big boys come and poach the best players and eventually luck runs out trying to replace them.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Adams is the kind of player who will probably get you around 6-7 goals across the course of the season, will miss a few sitters but will generally work very hard, running the channels and regardless of how we are doing you'll get maximum effort - ideal if you're really struggling and just need something up front to at the very least occupy defenders (and not a great deal else)

Iheanacho might get you 6-7 goals, but 2 will be in a freak 4-2 victory and the rest will be in November, before he misses a few games with a mysterious knock, then comes back into the team and goes missing - ideal if you need someone to get your manager the sack.

Neither are especially imaginative, but I'd take Adams over Iheanacho every time.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think Elvedi in needed anymore with Bueno coming in. Dawson or Bueno at RCB and Kilman or Toti at LCB are sufficient imo.

Bellegarde is the one I want though. Replaces Nunes' ball-carrying abilities through the middle but looks to have more to his game than just that, unlike Matheus. Can play centrally or on the left, offering us cover in two positions we look light.
Back up is good. If Bueno has injury issues? Elvedi can play many positions across the defence?

Bellegarde looks tiny maybe the Betis player would be a better option?

ALSO JUST REALISED

TRANSFER WINDOW SHUTS TOMORROW NIGHT 11PM

Plenty of time

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back up is good. If Bueno has injury issues? Elvedi can play many positions across the defence?

Bellegarde looks tiny maybe the Betis player would be a better option?

ALSO JUST REALISED

TRANSFER WINDOW SHUTS TOMORROW NIGHT 11PM

Plenty of time

Bellegarde can play on the wing. I think he's the Nunes replacement

Back
Top Bottom