Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just an update as was the first to report this yesterday about Scott and my friend in Bristol it is indeed a done deal with Bournemouth now.
Also Scott believes and this is actually straight from the horses mouth Wolves are a club going backwards now and heard from another player the environment is not good in the camp
Then who can blame the lad?
Good luck to the fella.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hobbs has said we have no money and we need to sell more to buy. How much more explanation do we need? We were given nearly 200 million to spend last year and ended up fighting for survival. It's not shocking we're not getting investment again.
It's not too much for a Premier League club to expect to spend what they bring in.

We don't even want that. We have sold around £90m worth of players, and rising. Most would be perfectly content if we brought in a CB, a versatile midfielder and a forward.

That can be for a combined £20m. It could be 3x£10m players. It doesn't have to be a lot.

Let's not all turn on each other here. This is all on Fosun, moving the goalposts on the manager, all whilst ripping the fans off. They deserve all the criticism they get now - from Lopetegui & the supporters.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Brighton at home.

Absolutely horrible game for us to have at that stage.

A comfortable 3 or 4 nil defeat to United can be passed off. However, when Brighton are absolutely destroying us in the second game, I think that will be the tipping point. They're a brilliant team, but it's still Brighton. It will be a brutal reminder of just how far we've fallen when we can't get the ball off them and trail by a goal or two in the first half.

My prediction is that Lopetegui walks or new signings come in between Everton and the transfer deadline, in which case I have us down in the bottom three.

You have to say him leaving is more likely.

As an aside, I'm actually going to be intrigued to see if Fosun react when we're in that position. Imagine if they do sign players? It would obviously benefit the team, but then we'll ask why didn't you just do it a month or two ago? Can you really not strengthen a weak squad that could be in the bottom three when the window is still open?

Not the fixture list Fosun needed to start the season.
Agreed on all of that

I’m still struggling to my head round signing Silva for that much money at that point in time. It really was the catalyst to the **** show that has followed

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Losing Scott as a player isn’t necessarily significant but it is symbolic of the state of the club. I’m not sure what comes beyond ****show but we’re now in it. If we go into this season with this squad we’re guaranteed relegation. We’ve not got the defensive cover, we’ve not got the players to score. Players know it’s a ****show hence Doherty’s comments so their heads will drop after our first two drubbings which will mean we’ll go into Everton bottom of the table with a considerable negative goal difference. Most of all the fans are totally ****ed off with the owners and therefore any chance of creating a seige mentality has gone.

Fully expect Nunes to be sold now that we’ve lost his understudy. As a previous supporter of Fosun I’m now wanting them gone, even Morgan was better than this.
We definitely need a CB and it's awful that we've waited this late and still not got one over the line, but it's not the end of the world.

The forward line and midfield I'm pretty comfortable with but we could do with an Adams type signing to supplement them for sure.

Guaranteed relegation tho - laughable. It's more or less the same players as last seasons mid-table tea, with multiple now-fit or back-of-loan additions. Could we get relegated? Sure. Are we gonna be top ten?

We're not anywhere near as bad as many are making out and if we do play poorly then that's on the manager, not fosun. We went from one defensive boring manager to another. Lop's got some quality about him but if we play the rubbish we (were perhaps forced) to play last year, he doesn't escape a large chunk of blame. Fosun will get some too though for me that's more about the mess they created last season.

BuzzWolves

Groupie
Reaction score
Just an update as was the first to report this yesterday about Scott and my friend in Bristol it is indeed a done deal with Bournemouth now.
Also Scott believes and this is actually straight from the horses mouth Wolves are a club going backwards now and heard from another player the environment is not good in the camp
Not definitely done yet I don't think.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not too much for a Premier League club to expect to spend what they bring in.

We don't even want that. We have sold around £90m worth of players, and rising. Most would be perfectly content if we brought in a CB, a versatile midfielder and a forward.

That can be for a combined £20m. It could be 3x£10m players. It doesn't have to be a lot.

Let's not all turn on each other here. This is all on Fosun, moving the goalposts on the manager, all whilst ripping the fans off. They deserve all the criticism they get now - from Lopetegui & the supporters.
But most seasons we have spent more than we brought in, it can't go on like that forever, eventually you are going to have a summer where you have to sell

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the 50 million profit rumours are true, we need to sell about 7 million more to hit that. And then sell whatever we want to use to buy on top of that.

So if we sold Nunes for 45, we'd likely have about 38 to spend.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Come on folks, this is just another clickbait news post about a bid! If it gets accepted, we have to move on. Not ideal and probably does signify money or ffp issues.

But if we don't buy scott then that's not going to win or lose us anything.

Transfers aren't the point of football. This is getting absurd.
Thank you! I was beginning to despair about the collective mental breakdown that is going on at the moment. Nice to have some calm and sanity restored.

WWFC4LIFE

Reaction score
Jump back to last summer and at the start we were told not much funds etc by keen and others. Suddenly mendes clients are available and we gamble the future as its mendes. Now if Scott was a mendes client, you better believe Jeff and his cronies would find the money! Sick of fosun. Enough is enough.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If all true then Fosun just need to sell up and stop wanting control. They'll face a depreciating asset otherwise and risking losing a fortune if we did go down.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But most seasons we have spent more than we brought in, it can't go on like that forever, eventually you are going to have a summer where you have to sell

No one is contesting the volume of spending . What’s in dispute is some of the disgraceful spending that has happened

Not one person can justify the Silva or Semedo fees, for starters

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
It really is bizarre..
The only communication we've is, the PR team sending out happy training videoes, and pathos filles quotes from the Sasa documentary to try and counter communicate the negative stories. Do these people think we're that thick?
The media team have timed scheduled tweets and despite all the abuse they get they really have nothing to do with transfers in or out.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very hard to disagree with that assessment at the moment.

I've always been a proponent of selling players at the right time for the right price.

But there's no point selling them if you're not going to reinvest.

My prediction for this season is a load more panic buying in January. We're probably good enough to stay up, but if we don't start investing in the team, things will get stale very quickly.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Come on folks, this is just another clickbait news post about a bid! If it gets accepted, we have to move on. Not ideal and probably does signify money or ffp issues.

But if we don't buy scott then that's not going to win or lose us anything.

Transfers aren't the point of football. This is getting absurd.

You're wasting your time mate. 'Losing out' on a transfer is just another reason for people to whip themselves into a frenzy about what a shambles we are.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thank you! I was beginning to despair about the collective mental breakdown that is going on at the moment. Nice to have some calm and sanity restored.
Doesn't mean I'm happy or that Fosun aren't in a mess financially, but the things are way OTT on here. I've not been happy with Fosun ever since the Nuno mess and lack of stadium investment. I think they should have sold up a year ago and certainly think they need to now.

JaycogWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
If all true then Fosun just need to sell up and stop wanting control. They'll face a depreciating asset otherwise and risking losing a fortune if we did go down.
Oh they’ll lose a huge amount, they are trying to recoup as much money as possible without any outlay - the problem now is social media is a big wide world, and a bad atmosphere filters into the players usually in a negative way

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What a mess. Wouldn't be surprised if we still sell Nunes after we've missed out on our number 1 target, which selling Nunes would have funded.

Other than the 1st few seasons under Fosun, we just seem clueless at times, without a clear plan or strategy, doing things last minute, made worse by poor comms etc

Like others, at this rate, I can see JL leaving early doors - but even if he doesn't, what's next season going to be like if the team is managed by someone who probably doesn't believe in the squad, the club or want to be here?

Cmon Jeff, we need some positive news (other than a new keeping coach)...!

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We've also spent 60 million with Cunha and Traore.

FOSUN only deserves criticism of not changing their management team at the club. They deserve zero criticism for investment into the club.

I never thought I'd see the day where Wolves spent 115 million more then they brought in, which happened just last season. Not to mention the 60+ million they committed to this year as well.

I'm not turning against anyone. I just can't fathom being upset at no investment after the insane investment we've had the last 12 months and barely survived.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why should they try to appease a load of pant wetters getting into a flap over nothing?

And what do you suggest they post?! Just make stuff up?
My pants are well and truly dry at present.
If however, we sell Nunes and no replacement is forthcoming, I'll be sure to give an update, as I may get a little moist then!!! Lol

SWest Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
If that’s true what he thinks of Wolves, sod him. I hope we smash Bournemouth when we play them….

colincameron

Reaction score
Hobbs has said we have no money and we need to sell more to buy. How much more explanation do we need? We were given nearly 200 million to spend last year and ended up fighting for survival. It's not shocking we're not getting investment again.

Point was the goal posts were changed

At the end of the season it was stated 8-15m players.

Now nothing but sell sell sell.

This is purely speculation BUT I think the unexpected large fee for Neves changed things. If not I'm struggling to see any other reason.

Hear me out,

Fosun were expecting 25m for neves plus a few other sales. This was never going to rebalance the books BUT with low budget 8-15m signings their plan may have been to argue to the Premier league that they are in the PROCESS of rebalancing 'look at our transfer activity'- basically, we are trying but give us time.

HOWEVER, early in the window the 50m bonus sale of Neves made Fosun think, hang on, fire sale here and we could get the books balanced right here right now and not have to argue a case of slowly rebalancing and running that risk of prosecution (original plan). I think the obvious outcome for Everton will be pivotal. But with the swift changes to transfer plans, I think they've sniffed a chance to get out of the Doo Doo right here right now and not have to go grovelling to the PL. Much to the detriment of JL that is.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We definitely need a CB and it's awful that we've waited this late and still not got one over the line, but it's not the end of the world.

The forward line and midfield I'm pretty comfortable with but we could do with an Adams type signing to supplement them for sure.

Guaranteed relegation tho - laughable. It's more or less the same players as last seasons mid-table tea, with multiple now-fit or back-of-loan additions. Could we get relegated? Sure. Are we gonna be top ten?

We're not anywhere near as bad as many are making out and if we do play poorly then that's on the manager, not fosun. We went from one defensive boring manager to another. Lop's got some quality about him but if we play the rubbish we (were perhaps forced) to play last year, he doesn't escape a large chunk of blame. Fosun will get some too though for me that's more about the mess they created last season.
The problem is that the atmosphere and narrative around the club is negative. Players, Dawson and Doherty, are saying we need reinforcements, the manager is moaning (quite rightly). If the perception of players in other clubs is that there is negative atmosphere and we’re going backwards we won’t be able to sign players anyway. It’s a recipe for going wrong very quickly.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The media team have timed scheduled tweets despite all the abuse they get they really have nothing to do with transfers in or out.

Exactly I previously did socials for a company and everything was premade and scheduled to have the maximum reach and interaction.

They can only put out any PR that is given to them, so just let them keep doing what they are doing imo, they are doing fantastic and clearly are wanting to give the fans interesting content, mini docuseries etc. If we had spent another good amount of cash people wouldn't be charping on about it.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm as depressed as the next man, but here's a small ray of light.

Neil Cutler has just accepted the job of GK coach. Clearly he'd have spoken to JL before he did that. Clearly he is someone who'll know a lot of people in football. Surely to God he'll have checked out the club and spoken to people to before he signed on? Bloody hell, he lives in the area as well. So unless Mr Cutler has the bailiffs at the door, that may be a small chink of optimism?

#ClutchingAtStraws

SWest Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
We've sold £100m worth of players THIS SUMMER and we're going into a season with 2 centrebacks.

How on earth can you think that's not shocking?
You didn’t honestly expect the club to invest that £100m back into the team did you? We are complying with FFP restrictions

JaycogWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
The problem is that the atmosphere and narrative around the club is negative. Players, Dawson and Doherty, are saying we need reinforcements, the manager is moaning (quite rightly). If the perception of players in other clubs is that there is negative atmosphere and we’re going backwards we won’t be able to sign players anyway. It’s a recipe for going wrong very quickly.
Took the words precisely out of my mouth. Which footballer in their right mind would want to sign for Wolves at the moment? One of the keys to success is harmony and balancing

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're wasting your time mate. 'Losing out' on a transfer is just another reason for people to whip themselves into a frenzy about what a shambles we are.
It’s not just losing out on a transfer though is it it’s the fact we haven’t got a pot to piiss in and Fosun don’t seem to care.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've also spent 60 million with Cunha and Traore.

FOSUN only deserves criticism of not changing their management team at the club. They deserve zero criticism for investment into the club.

I never thought I'd see the day where Wolves spent 115 million more then they brought in, which happened just last season. Not to mention the 60+ million they committed to this year as well.

I'm not turning against anyone. I just can't fathom being upset at no investment after the insane investment we've had the last 12 months and barely survived.
Yeah I get your point overall, and agree entirely.

However, they're meant to be with us for the long-term and an investment company.

If they say 'we've put enough into Wolves, we need to start getting money back', most would accept that. How about we make a £20m profit now, and the same every summer for the next 2-3 years? Or a zero net spend for the next five years, as we bring in the PL cash.

That is a much more sensible strategy than 'give us £90m profit right now' because it clearly risks our PL status.

There needs to be a balance. We have three centre-backs, and one fit striker who is 21. There's no strategy to this. It's desperation.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've sold £100m worth of players THIS SUMMER and we're going into a season with 2 centrebacks.

How on earth can you think that's not shocking?
We've sold 104 million and spent 61 million. I think it was fairly obvious we weren't going to spend a ton this year because of the insane investment we had last year that also trickled over into this year.

And I'm pretty sure we have 3 senior centre backs unless I missed something.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Neil Cutler has just accepted the job of GK coach. Clearly he'd have spoken to JL before he did that. Clearly he is someone who'll know a lot of people in football. Surely to God he'll have checked out the club and spoken to people to before he signed on? Bloody hell, he lives in the area as well. So unless Mr Cutler has the bailiffs at the door, that may be a small chink of optimism?

#ClutchingAtStraws
Indeed.

But his nickname is Yosser.

"Gis a job, I can do that"

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean it really wouldn't be a shock if players were looking at us at present and thinking **** that? Plenty of our own fans think we'll struggle, even the manager has suggested as much. I dare say players we might try and bring in now will be thinking the same thing? Just look at Docs interview the other day ffs. Right now Bournemouth have more money available to strengthen, it appears much more stability and it could even be argued - more ambition? That's really some going from Fosun. Maybe they can oversee Luton and Burnley overtaking us before long if they play their cards right?

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
not even a sniff of good news, Nunes poss off and his replacement of to Bournemouth- not even midday yet !! :eek: :tearsofjoy: o_O :mad: :rolleyes:

It depends on what your mindset is.

Am I bothered that we've not made any significant signings? No.

Is it good news that we've not been battered by anyone in pre-season, but instead beaten and drawn with 2 champions league teams whilst putting in some good performances?

The ONLY thing that matters is how we perform on the pitch. There's no guarantee that Scott, Elvedi or anyone else we've been linked with will suddenly transform us, so just focus on the positives like Neto, Nunes and Fabio's performances?

Or does that not fit the narrative?

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

#ClutchingAtStraws
When your source of optimism is managing to convince an unemployed GK coach to take a job 30 mins from his house.. you know you’re in trouble.

Back
Top Bottom