Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You'd have him playing for us though I'll bet

So if Neves wanted to come back in the future you're against that?
That’s not what I have said . There comes a point when too much becomes obscene. That point has been reached when you’re talking 13 milllion a week ! A week !

And Mbappe isn’t a player I like much.

Neves secured his future for a good pay rise but about 5 percent of what Mbappe is getting.

Perhaps there should be a separate thread to debate this ?

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
£2.4M would be an absolute steal. He's really good.
As stated earlier, he's outgrown the Danish league but it's always a question whether a player can then make the step up, but can't see why not. He certainly has the attributes.
I guess from your name you'd know more about him :)

Think it's this sort of player we're looking at though, especially if that fee is to be believed.

By attributes you also mean the physical side? We've had too many technically gifted powder puff signings last couple of years, but we do seem to be targeting players who can be more physical since December.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Connor Gallagher is an upmarket Dave Edwards. Loads of energy, a few goals but very little quality on the ball. A mid table PL midfielder at best. I’d be horrified if we paid over £30m let alone £40m or more for him.
But let's hope west ham do!

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Connor Gallagher is an upmarket Dave Edwards. Loads of energy, a few goals but very little quality on the ball. A mid table PL midfielder at best. I’d be horrified if we paid over £30m let alone £40m or more for him.
Spending £70/80 million on Gallagher and JWP? Nah not for me. £20 million each maybe? Gallagher is overrated IMV and JWP whilst taking a mean set piece, is glacier slow.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The money discussion makes me laugh, the premier league started all this 30 years ago. Now there is a bigger dog in the fight they can’t handle it. Reap what you sow.

On the other hand though, no matter how much they spend, every week will just be like glorified exhibition games. You can’t buy atmosphere or history, or community.

It’s actually making a complete mockery of so called elite level football. I actually think it’s quite funny. If it long term means a return in the UK to something vaguely resembling what football was like pre 1992, I’m all for it.
Yeah it’s this for me.

Premier League money = obscene

Saudi money = completely obscene

It’s not a right or wrong situation, it’s two sides of the same horrible coin.

Someone above said Ruben getting £40k per week after tax wasn’t life changing money? Jesus Christ.

Football is done. It’s just a weird thing I can’t quite let go of at the moment, but there aren’t any morals at the top level, there’s no different between here and there.

£50m for Conor Gallagher this morning just says it all. Burn it to the ground and start again.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spending £70/80 million on Gallagher and JWP? Nah not for me. £20 million each maybe. Gallagher is overrated and JWP whilst taking a mean set piece, is glacier slow.
Really dont see what JWP brings to the table,apart from 4/5 free kicks a season
I do like Gallagher but not at that price,£25-£30mil at best

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Some stats on Martinez

Not the similar players table ...

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah it’s this for me.

Someone above said Ruben getting £40k per week after tax wasn’t life changing money? Jesus Christ.

Football is done. It’s just a weird thing I can’t quite let go of at the moment, but there aren’t any morals at the top level, there’s no different between here and there.

£50m for Conor Gallagher this morning just says it all. Burn it to the ground and start again.

To add to this. Footballers aren't hugely out of kilter with the rest of World sport. Golf, basketball, tennis and F1 all have individuals who make obscene amounts of money.

All the Saudi stuff highlights is that there does need to be some form of global regulation. Things were already spiraling out of control and this just accelerates it. FFP hasn't been fit for purpose for some time, but the fact it only covers European clubs makes it even more redundant now.

Coming at a time where a lot of people are struggling to feed their families makes it particularly sickening.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Going to Saudi is all about money. Sporting ambition, love of the game are all discarded.

It's not a love, it's a job.
I think you have a romantic view of professional football, it is a job to all of them and one they’re paid handsomely to do. They all want to win stuff but how many do? If not, fill your boots and support your family. Every player who comes to play in England is a mercenary. Why else did Neves swap champions league football and captaining his boyhood club to play away at burton?

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would deffo fear relegation with a squad like this.
There is no goals in it,and we are just an injury or two awy from disaster defencewise.
There is no natural leader..Daws probably the closest.
We still have a RB problem right from the get go(Doherty is not working in a four and is probably three years worse than his last spell with us).An injury on Daws would still prove catastophic.
Midfield,Boubs has his injury history and there is little proof that Scott is ready allready.
Attackwise there is not a single player that will score double digits.
There is Sasa who is injured all the time.We know that Cunha isn´t a prolific goalscorer.Neto hasn´t looked anywere near the player he was pre injury.Silva might not even want to play for us and hasn´t uprooted any trees either in Belgium or Holland.
Hwang we know ain´t all that and no one would see Che Adams as a guy that will score pretty much on his own for us.
I would say we are favoured to go down with a squad like this.
We barely survived last season,and this squad looks as weak..if not weaker.
Diapers ON!

I don't think we'd pull up any trees, or be troubling Europe, but we do have a decent coach and there are some good players there so I wouldn't panic?

I guess what would make me nervous about a squad looking like this is there being big question marks hanging over so many players? Can Scott/Silva step up? Can Sasa/Traore stay fit? Can some of the younger players Like Bueno kick on? Can Neto rediscover his pre injury form? Can Nunes and Cunha start to really show why we invested so much cash in them? Can the older experienced lads like Doherty and Cresswell make decent contributions on and off the pitch? Can Sa stop being a clown? Can some of our players actually score a few?

I wouldn't be dancing cartwheels about our squad looking like this I have to say. A better keeper than Sa, a better striker than Adams and an Ocampos type would certainly be nice, but I just don't get a vibe we can expect much more than the above? Bit deflating maybe?

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So you really reckon that Barcelona's starting FB was worth no more than Hoever? Farcical statement.
You also need to apply my logic to Hoever, who is probably worth no more than £5m.

T

TheConcourse

I don't think we'll pull up any trees, or be troubling Europe, but we do have a decent coach and there are some good players there?

I guess what would make me nervous about a squad like this is there being so many question marks hanging over players? Can Scott/Silva step up? Can Sasa/Traore stay fit? Can some of the younger players Like Bueno kick on? Can Neto rediscover his pre injury form? Can Nunes and Cunha start to really show why we invested so much cash in them? Can the older experienced lads like Doherty and Cresswell make good contributions on and off the pitch? Can Sa stop being a clown? Can a few players actually score a few?

I wouldn't be dancing cartwheels about our squad looking like this. A better keeper than Sa, a better striker than Adams and an Ocampos type would be nice, but I don't get a vibe we can expect much more than the above.
Spot on. The question marks bring apprehension. I can’t think of more than 5 players who bring any level of predictability going into a new season.

They’re either excellent or anonymous.

If we can fix that it could be a dark horse kind of season.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Some stats on Martinez

Not the similar players table ...

Just had a look at James Mcatee and Thomas Doyle vs Alex Scott

Certainly less mins but a lot more green for both

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
So current rumours/deals in the melting pot are:

Alex Scott, Bristol City £23m-£25m - ongoing, 3rd bid either being prepped or under discussion, still someway to go, likely to drag on
Aaron Cresswell, West Ham £2.5m - £5m - two clubs attempting to agree the price somewhere between the two valuations
Nico Elvedi, Borussia Monchengladbach - £7m - seems just a matter of time, with his club in for Sober and his Mrs house hunting in Wolverhampton.
Che Adams, Southampton £10m - recurring rumour, may be papertalk, given strong reports on Retegui bid, likely to be a back up to next striking option on the list
Tommy Doyle, Manchester City £15m - likely to be a back up to Alex Scott if there is anything in the rumour
Emiliano Martinez, Fc Midtjylland £2.4m - recent noises becoming more frequent, possibly at Wolves end of the scale in terms of price right now
James McAtee, Manchester City £15m - apparently had a bid rejected, Pep wants to keep hold - possibly tentative enquiry and will go no further.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah it’s this for me.

Did they say £40k wasn’t life changing money? or that £250k is “literally life changing money”?

£40k a week if you’ve earned that for years gets spent one way or another! the increase is what is life changing for ever.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have we signed Scott?
Well no, but the discussion was hypothesising how the squad could look e.g. adding in Creswell, Elvidi, Scott and Adams to what we have currently. These all appear to be confirmed targets (not sure onAdams, but has been linked for weeks).

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So current rumours/deals in the melting pot are:

Alex Scott, Bristol City £23m-£25m - ongoing, 3rd bid either being prepped or under discussion, still someway to go, likely to drag on
Aaron Cresswell, West Ham £2.5m - £5m - two clubs attempting to agree the price somewhere between the two valuations
Nico Elvedi, Borussia Monchengladbach - £7m - seems just a matter of time, with his club in for Sober and his Mrs house hunting in Wolverhampton.
Che Adams, Southampton £10m - recurring rumour, may be papertalk, given strong reports on Retegui bid, likely to be a back up to next striking option on the list
Tommy Doyle, Manchester City £15m - likely to be a back up to Alex Scott if there is anything in the rumour
Emiliano Martinez, Fc Midtjylland £2.4m - recent noises becoming more frequent, possibly at Wolves end of the scale in terms of price right now
James McAtee, Manchester City £15m - apparently had a bid rejected, Pep wants to keep hold - possibly tentative enquiry and will go no further.
Excellent summary. Don't forget Deniz Dilman! :D

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess from your name you'd know more about him :)

Think it's this sort of player we're looking at though, especially if that fee is to be believed.

By attributes you also mean the physical side? We've had too many technically gifted powder puff signings last couple of years, but we do seem to be targeting players who can be more physical since December.
Yes I've watched him regularly here. Strong ball winning midfielder who can also play. Often sits as the most defensive midfielder in a 4231, but can just as easily be part of a midfield 2 on a 442, as he did in Midtjyllands most recent game.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes I've watched him regularly here. Strong ball winning midfielder who can also play. Often sits as the most defensive midfielder in a 4231, but can just as easily be part of a midfield 2 on a 442, as he did in Midtjyllands most recent game.
We need a bit of cover for lemina I think ....he seems the sort who won't play 40 games.....without injury, suspension etc...

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always capable of doing a job on us when he was at Palace.
Dave Edwards “did a job” on a few teams, didn’t make him worth £50m though! In the right set up CG will be a good player and as I said worth £25m but for £50m I’d expect a LOT more.

Back
Top Bottom