Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I've not seen Scott play so can't pass judgment, but I'm concerned that we could be repeating the Nathan Collins scenario - paying a big sum of money for 'potential' to sit on the bench. We have other issues to address.
Don't think that'll happen, JL wants him, think he'll go straight into the match day squad and be used regularly, won't play every minute of every game of course, Lopetegui likees to freshen things up mid game. No-one is guaranteed game time.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just hope, if we do sign Scott, he lives up to the hype. This time last year we were all under the impression that if we signed Nunes he was the dynamic player we needed to take us to the next level, yet we spent most of the season being largely frustrated by him.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've not seen Scott play so can't pass judgment, but I'm concerned that we could be repeating the Nathan Collins scenario - paying a big sum of money for 'potential' to sit on the bench. We have other issues to address.
Could be worse, we could be spending £35M on potential!

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This just isn’t true, sorry. He had bags of potential and just never got a run of games. Plenty on here said it would be a massive regret to let him go and so it’s proven to be.
we don’t have any other choice, he said he wouldn’t join

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So when will we find out if our bid has been accepted or not?

I can’t help but feel Bristol will get greedy and ask for £25m plus add ons.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Signing someone young with potential not having played in PL or older with a decent track record across Europe but not having played in PL has exactly the same chance of success and MolMix reaction:

Too young, too much money, not good enough, sell at half price bought for

Too old, too much money, never wanted to come, sell at half price bought for

Buying young or old has risks - some work - Jota, Neves, Moutinho - some don’t Guedes, Trincao - some may still work Silva, Sasa - some we missed out on Vitinha.

Every club is the same. To be successful with FFP we need the luck of more coming off than not, paying a sensible price, walking away from some in a bidding war and need to find the odd gem in our youth teams.

I do smile when I read that player this and that is the bees knees and must be signed at whatever the cost, we wax lyrical and then after 5 games we should sack Shi for incompetence.

We have a decent 29 man squad, I’m looking forward to a quality CB arriving and then how the squad changes with 1-2 out and 1 in as JLo gets his picks.

Hopefully Alex Scott is brilliant but let’s not heap expectations on the lads shoulders or the price tag on his shoulders if he arrives.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So when will we find out if our bid has been accepted or not?

I can’t help but feel Bristol will get greedy and ask for £25m plus add ons.
Bristol can do what they like, he’s their player. They can try and get a bigger bid, but so far it appears to be us and Bournemouth who have actually bid.

I’d be surprised if Spurs do, you know what Levys like and I think West Ham will have other ideas, not too mention won’t want clubs taking advantage of their new riches from the Rice money.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This just isn’t true, sorry. He had bags of potential and just never got a run of games. Plenty on here said it would be a massive regret to let him go and so it’s proven to be.

Its totally true. He had a lot of potential, but his potential didnt translate to performances on the field. He wasnt good enough to force his way into the team. Plenty did say it would be a mistake not to sign him, plenty thought otherwise as well.

He also didnt want to come here ( sound familiar ) and we didnt have a spare 20 million to pay for him at the time either. I'd have liked to sign him for a cheaper fee, like we did with RAN as i thought given time he would have improved, but i dont think the timing was right sadly.

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Lage. That's the reason mgw isn't here. Absolutely atrocious manager. Mgw has proven his worth within one season and the fee looks good business by them not us. Mgw was fully within his rights to feel aggrieved at the way he was treated by that substandard manager. Miserable ****bag.
That re-writing history a little. Lage wanted to keep MGW but MGW wouldn’t sign a contract so they decided to cash in, that money was then invested poorly but if MGW had of signed a deal he’d probably still be here today.

MGW was put out by Nuno who messed him around and then recalled him from his loan in Jan only to mainly stick him on the bench.

Lage wasn’t a particularly good manager but the whole MGW exit had its makings long before he rocked up.

Black Coffee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes he had bags of potential but being real he didn't exactly look like anything special when given a chance, He was nice and tidy nothing else maybe that was on Nuno and his pragmatic ways who knows.

It's just revisionist history with Vitinha while at Wolves he couldn't break into a real average team .

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lage. That's the reason mgw isn't here. Absolutely atrocious manager. Mgw has proven his worth within one season and the fee looks good business by them not us. Mgw was fully within his rights to feel aggrieved at the way he was treated by that substandard manager. Miserable ****bag.
Much as l rated Nuno and not Lage I actually think that it was the former pulling MGW back from Swansea and then not playing him that did much of the damage.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That re-writing history a little. Lage wanted to keep MGW but MGW wouldn’t sign a contract so they decided to cash in, that money was then invested poorly but if MGW had of signed a deal he’d probably still be here today.

MGW was put out by Nuno who messed him around and then recalled him from his loan in Jan only to mainly stick him on the bench.

Lage wasn’t a particularly good manager but the whole MGW exit had its makings long before he rocked up.
MGW fell out with Nuno over the boly leg break in training .....all the fallout with MGW , the fans the club all happened long before Bruno came along....if anything Bruno tried his best to integrate Gibbs white at the start of last season, more than ever Nuno did .

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Like MGW he was another player that just didn't suit 3-4-3. That formation got us where we are today so it's hard to feel too bad about it, but it's ended up turning into a millstone around our necks that we're still suffering from even when we've moved away from it for a while now.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fairly impressive and gives a good insight into the type of player he is. He can pick a pass, beat the press and beat players. Corners and crossing look impressive. Can see why clubs would want him. Can see us playing a whole combo of formations from 4:2:2:2 to 4:3:3 with everything in between. One thing I would say is that JL is not scared to throw young players in, he was the one who debuted Neves, whereas Nuno dropped him a year later.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
MGW fell out with Nuno over the boly leg break in training .....all the fallout with MGW , the fans the club all happened long before Bruno came along....if anything Bruno tried his best to integrate Gibbs white at the start of last season, more than ever Nuno did .
Why did MGW fall out with Nuno over the Boly leg break? Did he cause it?

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like MGW he was another player that just didn't suit 3-4-3. That formation got us where we are today so it's hard to feel too bad about it, but it's ended up turning into a millstone around our necks that we're still suffering from even when we've moved away from it for a while now.
Actually Vitinha in theory should have suited the midfield role in the 343, like nunes should; but both would be a bit of a risk there in the prem as they can be lose with the ball and you’d get punished. It’s a hard position to develop a player in (ditto Collins in a cb pairing) .
MGW could of fitted in to the team had we tweaked it to 3412.
But I don’t blame any manager for deciding not to build his team specifically to suit any of these players.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
MGW didn't have a role in a 343, but would have been miles better than donk playing as an attacking midfielder in a 352

Beeches wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Can we stop talking about MGW. He's not here anymore.

Hopefully we hear more about the Alex Scott bid in the next 24 hours. Bristol City fans seem to think it will be accepted.
CB next please.
Beat me to it Dan. Why are we discussing a forest player on our forum.
He's gone, history, water under the bridge.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s why a lot of senior players didn’t like him
Funny how he and boly ended up at the same club
Agree wasn't going to comment on it cause it's not the right thread and I'm not really interested in it ....but people have very selective memory when trying to prove a point .... despite his faults the Gibbs situation was nowt to do with Bruno Lage ...

The failure to integrate a player rightly or wrongly was all down to Nuno .... sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. ...we didn't sell Gibbs white to buy guedes ....we sold Gibbs white to ease our ffP books for last summer. Had we not done our books would have been even worse. .

Last comment on it ....

Last edited:

Dan W

Groupie
Reaction score
Getting this thread back on Scott and potential signings. Just seen his compilation.

Let's get this over the line. Really excited about this now.
He's a very exciting prospect. Alex Scott was the 1 player from the championship i was desperate for us to try sign.
Would love to see a midfield of Scott, Lemina, Gomes, Nunes.
Expansive fullbacks running down the outside. Cunha & Sasa as a front 2. Have a real chance to overwhelm teams next season with fluidity.

Back
Top Bottom