Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree, I think 4231 is quite a good “base” formation” to build the squad for. Basically which players you then put in which positions in the 3 effectively morphs it towards another formation.
ie, put Neto on left and Chiquinho on right with Cunha or Hwang behind the striker and it’s like 442.
Play a Midfielder in the 10 position but deeper and it’s 433.
etc...
I’m a big advocate of 4231 especially when looking at our squad options, it’s a “fluid” system so you can have players who can play several of the positions.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This isn't even true: Sa's save percentage last season was 67.8%, which was 8th worst (fbref - Premier League Goalkeeper Stats | FBref.com). For comparison, the clubs faring worse were: City, Forest, Spurs, Brighton, Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. So pretty bad, but basically just below mid-table - which is where we finished the season. And you could argue our defensive frailties early in the season led to huge chances being conceded which are by definition harder to save. In fact, on any keeper metric I can find Wolves weren't second worst? 7th worst for goals conceded, 9th best for clean sheets etc. etc.

Secondly, guess who had the best save % in 21/22? Jose Sa at a whopping 79.6% (Chelsea second on 76.5%). I know you basically said this in your post, but as I said before he massively overperformed that year and, arguably, underperformed last year. But if he can split the difference he'd be top half keeper easily. All I am saying is we don't yet have enough information to know whether 21/22 or 22/23 was the bigger aberration. It seems crazy to not give him at least one more season and see what happens, perhaps then spending big on a decent keeper next year.
Completely agree. Baffled that anyone would think he is a big issue right now.nWe have so many other holes with much more need to be fixed.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What day do we give it to until we start worrying about getting a proper signing? (If you aren’t already)
End of this month I’d say. Hopefully we’ve done the majority of our business by then, in time for the more competitive preseason games. Maybe that’s wishful thinking, but I think we’ll move quickly as Julen said he wanted players in for preseason.

TheTwoPigeons

Groupie
Reaction score
I know it's only July but with all of the players who have left and others rumoured to be leaving we're going to go back to the position where we don't have any options on the bench.

It was so crucial last year to have options with 5 subs and I'm sure we got most of our points from subs on the bench. Disappointing to see all of these players leaving.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Going to give it till the Friday 21st before any true pant wetting, we will be back from the algarve and everybody but Lembekisa and Traore will be back.

Both have already been assessed and its just if lembekisa gets a loan out or not.

So wont affect transfer plans. Hopefull we have good clarity in those 9 days of further outgoings and then the incomings

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of Sa's mistakes happened when it didn't matter as well. That makes a big difference to me.

He made enormous blunders against City, when it went 3-0, and against Brighton and Arsenal. I can't remember the specific scorelines when he made the errors then, but the games were finished.

They all stick out because they really were so bad, but does it really matter? The games were done.

We basically stayed up on the back of 1-0 wins at home, where he was big.

I would be extremely wary of selling him.

Having a good keeper is the most important role on the pitch. People say a striker, but Leeds had someone who hit double figures and they go down. Why? Meslier is rubbish. Us on the other hand, can't score, yet get 41 points.

Southampton had the worst keeper in Bazunu, go down. Despite having been regulars in the Prem over the years. As soon as a poor keeper comes in, they're gone.

There's virtually nothing between the bottom 12 in the league. The sides that generally do well out of that group have good keepers and strikers (Patricio & Jimenez for us in the past, Raya & Toney, Leno & Mitrovic etc.)

Selling Sa would be a huge, huge risk, because we know he is average to good at this level. We could get better, but we could downgrade, and if we do, very strong possibility we go down when you combine it with our lack of goals.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Not trying to be an **** Mutchy, but why the sudden change? I’ve noticed posts are being deleted for going ‘off topic’ despite them relating to transfers. Is there another thread that exists for “transfer general chat”? It had always been a catch all thread in previous years I thought…

The purpose of SanFran’s transfer summary thread is to cover the “official” rumours is it not?
Its not sudden. There's a moderating battle with how every transfer thread ends up being used.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its not sudden. There's a moderating battle with how every transfer thread ends up being used.
Is it the worst thing in the world if it goes off topic for a couple of pages?
There's nothing else going on with Wolves in the close season so would it hurt if people chat nonsense interspersed with transfer chat?

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't get this clamour for Scott's signature.
25m on a 19yr old who had a half decent season who'll occupy the same position as Nunes.
Not for me personally.

Yeah, it has gone way over my head as well. You would think we have learnt by now.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m a big advocate of 4231 especially when looking at our squad options, it’s a “fluid” system so you can have players who can play several of the positions.
Absolutely, if you start with wide players on their correct side (footed wise) then just having them switch sides and become “inverted” changes the dynamic of the team.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't get this clamour for Scott's signature.
25m on a 19yr old who had a half decent season who'll occupy the same position as Nunes.
Not for me personally.

You may have answered you're own question, because Nunes was considerably below "half decent" most of last season. Perhaps some cover in case Nunes never does live up to the hype? Though the "give him ever more time to settle" argument wont' apply to Scott, he will cost probably half the amount, too. So half decent at half the price sounds good business.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jose Sa looked good when we played with back 3/5 so did a lot of our team from the Nuno era

Unfortunately we need to move on Jose Sa very average keeper but we’ve had worse

Linked to a Brazilian centre half Lucas Beraldo

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bentley came through the Arsenal youth system, so did Kane .They don't always get it correct.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And Bentley is certainly not the answer .
Depends whether the question is:-

I'm an area in the Metropolitan Borough of Walsall
I am noted for my involvement in the English Civil War
Originally a rural village i was developed in the post Second World War period so that i now border Darlaston, Willenhall and Alumwell.
Where am i?

JTWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
A lot of Sa's mistakes happened when it didn't matter as well. That makes a big difference to me.

He made enormous blunders against City, when it went 3-0, and against Brighton and Arsenal. I can't remember the specific scorelines when he made the errors then, but the games were finished.

They all stick out because they really were so bad, but does it really matter? The games were done.

We basically stayed up on the back of 1-0 wins at home, where he was big.

I would be extremely wary of selling him.

Having a good keeper is the most important role on the pitch. People say a striker, but Leeds had someone who hit double figures and they go down. Why? Meslier is rubbish. Us on the other hand, can't score, yet get 41 points.

Southampton had the worst keeper in Bazunu, go down. Despite having been regulars in the Prem over the years. As soon as a poor keeper comes in, they're gone.

There's virtually nothing between the bottom 12 in the league. The sides that generally do well out of that group have good keepers and strikers (Patricio & Jimenez for us in the past, Raya & Toney, Leno & Mitrovic etc.)

Selling Sa would be a huge, huge risk, because we know he is average to good at this level. We could get better, but we could downgrade, and if we do, very strong possibility we go down when you combine it with our lack of goals.
Moment of madness Leicester away. He swung that game single handedly that day with the penalty.

But also against Villa at home made a wonder save.

Shot stopping ok. But his commanding of box I think can be hit and miss, his approach coming out at one on one’s is awful, and his distribution and ball at feet is certainly not a strong point

We can do far worse than Sa. But I also feel for sensible money we could probably do better too.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
England's Wolverhampton are interested in signing Lucas Beraldo. The club has not yet sent a formal proposal to São Paulo, but has already given indications that it could offer something close to € 7 million (R $ 37.230 million at the current price), as GOAL has learned.

The problem is that the value is considered low in Morumbi. The athlete has a severance fine between € 40 million (R $ 212.7 million) and € 50 million (R $ 266 million). The club sees the value of the clause as a protection for the young man and only agrees to release him by a proposal considered irrefutable.

Wolves continue to assess the defender's situation at the Tricolor and do not rule out a formal offer during the European transfer window. He has a contract with São Paulo until June 30, 2026.

Newcastle were suggesting 15m so we will see.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
England's Wolverhampton are interested in signing Lucas Beraldo. The club has not yet sent a formal proposal to São Paulo, but has already given indications that it could offer something close to € 7 million (R $ 37.230 million at the current price), as GOAL has learned.

The problem is that the value is considered low in Morumbi. The athlete has a severance fine between € 40 million (R $ 212.7 million) and € 50 million (R $ 266 million). The club sees the value of the clause as a protection for the young man and only agrees to release him by a proposal considered irrefutable.

Wolves continue to assess the defender's situation at the Tricolor and do not rule out a formal offer during the European transfer window. He has a contract with São Paulo until June 30, 2026.

Interesting to see if we make a move

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Brighton apparently had a €6m offer rejected last month and they supposedly see him as a Colwill alternative.

Back then the asking price was said to be around €15m, so if we do want him we should try and act while we can, as I’m sure Brighton will be back in for him once they get told no on Colwill by Chelsea.

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Let's hope we go back with an "irrefutable proposal".

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I liked Giles he did well in the championship last season but I’m not sure there’s ever a near £40 million player in there. I’m not entirely convinced he stays but if he does he’ll do well to get 15 starts next season

Get in the side and get a number of assists, a team could easily throw a bag of money at him

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That weird Leeds game we chucked away a couple of seasons ago Sa had a right mare and gifted them a goal

Plenty of outfield players have had so many bad matches, we can't even remember them specifically. They all merge into one. And many of them cost way more than Sa. If we had a midfield/attack that could keep the ball in the opponents half for more than a few minutes a match. Add in that they score less than a goal a game....that puts pressure on Sa and the defence. Yet they make one mistake and get the blame, while half the outfield have done next to nothing. Easy to avoid mistakes when you are hiding from the ball! Not a luxury the keeper gets.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jose Sa… Notts Forrest. According to Percy
So they have chosen relegation then, he is a massive step down on Henderson and Navas and without those two and their heroics they would have gone down!

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get that the window was going to be slow but jeeez... we kick off the new season 4 weeks on Monday and we've got so much work to do it's ridiculous. Get a move on Wolves please....

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
Not trying to be an **** Mutchy, but why the sudden change? I’ve noticed posts are being deleted for going ‘off topic’ despite them relating to transfers. Is there another thread that exists for “transfer general chat”? It had always been a catch all thread in previous years I thought…

The purpose of SanFran’s transfer summary thread is to cover the “official” rumours is it not?
there is no sudden change, there is a whole forum to talk in detail about other things. Talking about transfers is one thing but every time there is in depth arguments about how we will play, whether an existing player is this or that or the old favourite for 100th time the ffp limits.

As stated ad nauseum if you want to talk in depth about something start a new thread on it. I will continue to delete stuff and it wont always be accurate, but i dont always have time and if i hapeen to notice the same people going way off topic i'll just start removing their right to post on this thread.

and before anyone starts i'm not gong to have an argument again about this.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plenty of outfield players have had so many bad matches, we can't even remember them specifically. They all merge into one. And many of them cost way more than Sa. If we had a midfield/attack that could keep the ball in the opponents half for more than a few minutes a match. Add in that they score less than a goal a game....that puts pressure on Sa and the defence. Yet they make one mistake and get the blame, while half the outfield have done next to nothing. Easy to avoid mistakes when you are hiding from the ball! Not a luxury the keeper gets.

He's had good moments but if we're honest he's also had plenty of baffling ones, its a difficult one with keepers because arguably hes capable of better saves than Patricio, but Patricio was way more consistent if unspectacular. Lopetegui clearly wants someone more reliable and i'm guessing someone better with their feet

Back
Top Bottom