Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not saying you don't know what day of the week it is exactly, but ...... ;)

Thing with Collins (maybe Silva, RAN) is that you can't afford to have players worth millions, who you think you might make money on in a few years, sat around not actually contributing, when you're essentially skint. We need to ship them out and strengthen the starting XI and then be creative with kids and cheaper signings. Of course I'm not sure where that leave the entire Fosun strategy.
Smack on. We can’t spend £20 million or £34 million on a player and then develop him in the first team. Mistakes cannot be tolerated at the top level.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we started the season with the current squad plus silva plus giles, we'd probably be ok as long as we signed a CB as cover. It may not be inspiring but I also don't think it'd be bad.

Sasa and Silva can play with cunha up front and jimenez can still provide something, esp if he has a full pre season. Pod, for all the haters, does provide goals too.

I don't understand all the panic. Plus I dont think we will start like this anyway.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think people really underestimate how good he was in Germany and how much of a good signing it was. Very much doubt we get a better striker for £15m
Nobody has questioned his ability. It’s his ability to stay off the treatment table that is the only issue.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t believe people are anxious and angry about the lack of activity. Been dying for a mass clearout in years, yes granted we haven’t got rid of the deadwood in Podence, Raul & RAN but that’s probably because nobody wants them…

Most excited I’ve been in a long time about our transfer window strategy and after January, I have full faith in JLo & Hobbs. Bring it on.
I agree.
Said after Brighton that there were very few players I would mind us selling...and Neves was a given allready back then.
I wouldn´t mind one iota if we sells Kilman either..fact is that I would have snapped their hands off for the allready reported 35 Mill Euros.
There will of course be incomings.Hopefully this time we get them more right than previous summers.
Collins,Coady and Kilman is all easily replacable.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nobody has questioned his ability. It’s his ability to stay off the treatment table that is the only issue.
I have doubts.Doesn´t look right for Prem.
Stringbean type of player that will find it hard to score consistently in Premier League.
A very poor mans version of Peter Crouch.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You cannot rebuild unless you knock down the existing structure first surely that's quite obvious. I am sure it will all calm down when that shiny new RSJ arrives.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You cannot rebuild unless you knock down the existing structure first surely that's quite obvious. I am sure it will all calm down when that shiny new RSJ arrives.
The existing structure should have been knocked down over a few windows, not all at the same time. Hope hobbs can work miracles.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jonny's a very useful squad player capable of playing either side of defence. I'd not be rushing to get him out.
"Was", not "is". Was probably the first name on the team sheet for a long while but the 2 x injuries have done for him, sorry. Its very disappointing and sad but he should probably retire on medical grounds and we should pay up his contract.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just remind this tired old head when does this (summer) transfer window end?
I'm trying hard to appreciate some of the goings of late and note that as yet there are few comings, so I'm wondering just how long it will be before the master plan becomes clear. (Is it 31st August?)

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just remind this tired old head when does this (summer) transfer window end?
I'm trying hard to appreciate some of the goings of late and note that as yet there are few comings, so I'm wondering just how long it will be before the master plan becomes clear. (Is it 31st August?)
The summer transfer window will close in England at 11pm on Friday September 1

Cornwall Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not Panicking yet .. there is a plan .. JL gave Matt Hobbs a list of positions he wanted to improve and a list of players who could leave not in his plans .. Matt and his team including JL's son have identified around 4 players per position and JL prioritized the players .. the plan is to go for the top one in each position and if not possible go onto the next .. that plan is in operation..

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not Panicking yet .. there is a plan .. JL gave Matt Hobbs a list of positions he wanted to improve and a list of players who could leave not in his plans .. Matt and his team including JL's son have identified around 4 players per position and JL prioritized the players .. the plan is to go for the top one in each position and if not possible go onto the next .. that plan is in operation..
Lets hope that the list was more than just one position and that Tom King, being the fourth on the goalkeeping list isn't it, and business is concluded! :D

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, but we have had plans for the last six transfer windows and look how they turned out.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1688549007440.png

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we started the season with the current squad plus silva plus giles, we'd probably be ok as long as we signed a CB as cover. It may not be inspiring but I also don't think it'd be bad.

Sasa and Silva can play with cunha up front and jimenez can still provide something, esp if he has a full pre season. Pod, for all the haters, does provide goals too.

I don't understand all the panic. Plus I dont think we will start like this anyway.
Sasha is an injury waiting to happen and is ‘hoping’ to be fit for the first game of the season. Silva doesn’t want to be at Wolves, and who can blame him. So we’re left with the pairing that bagged 2 goals between them last season, Cunha scoring both. Raul was sparsely used and was clearly unhappy at the end of last season.

To top all of that, we’re a low scoring team and haven’t scored more than a goal a game for the last 3 seasons. Neto is our best bet but, as with Sasa, he’s injury prone. We obviously need new players and clearly a new way of playing.

So, it’s a big challenge starting pre-season with the same squad as last season minus those who have now left and also not knowing who else might be leaving or coming in.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Kilman could be more suited to Serie A than the Premier League, as it isn't generally as fast a paced league. I'm hoping that JL's of the opinion that Dawson's great positional sense and defending needs complimenting with defenders who are mobile and quick. Defenders with pace and mobility not only get turned less often but can also be quicker to the ball to start off attacks.
I personally think we've lacked pace through the spine of the team for a long time.

Collins has pace. He was supposed to be exactly what we wanted. Nunes is also very fast for a midfielder. Costa up front lacked pace, of course. In hindsight, a ridiculous attempt to solve our goal scoring problems. Overall though, and including players like Adama, RAN, I don't think we lack pace. If anything, we've lacked physicality. And quality up front.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
When is the correct time to move through the 6 stages of Transfer Thread Emotions;

1. Excitement
2. Apathy
3. Mild Irritation
4. Anxiety
5. Panic
6. Pant Wetting.

Asking on behalf of a friend!
You got this wrong, the stages on The Mix are:

1. Pant Wetting
2. Pant Wetting
3. Pant Wetting
4. Pant Wetting
5. Pant Wetting
6. Pant Wetting
7. Grateful relief when we sign someone then throw them under the bus at Christmas

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Would love to know who's on that list, fill in the blanks whilst we wait:

PostitionFirst ChoiceSecond ChoiceThird ChoiceFourth Choice
GoalkeeperYassine Bonuno
Centre BackDavid GarciaNianzou
Left Back
Right Back
Attacking midfielderAlex ScottCristian Medina
WingerLucas OcamposIvan JamieDario OsorioSamuel Ling-Junior
Centre-ForwardMoussa DembeleElte WahiVictor Gyokeres

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

GoalkeeperYassine Bonuno
Left Back
Right Back

Losing both Collins and possibly Kilman, I think we’ll be in the market for both a LCB & RCB.

Personally doubt Ocampos is on the list, let alone first choice tbh.

Bar the concrete & credible links we’ve had like Scott, Jaime, Dembele, etc. I think the majority of players will be kept very closely under wraps until virtually becoming a done deal.

I’d like to think we’ll be exploring the South American market again so would expect one or two from the likes of Brazil, Argentina etc.

There’s plenty to point out but Fabricio Diaz from Uruguay looks very impressive and captained his side to winning the u20 world cup last month, a tournament i’m sure Hobbs & co kept a close eye on.

Last edited:

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

GoalkeeperYassine Bonuno
Left Back
Right Back
I like this idea but would point out we have been linked to loads of Defensive midfielders that are over 6'2 - Nico Gonzalez, Al-Musrati, Batista Mendy, Vinicius Souza, Kondogbia, Redondo et al so I think it should be added in as a line.

That is the physical profile of top holding men in the Prem eg Rodri, Palhinha, Fabinho, Casemiro and many more. I would be very surprised given all the links and how easily our midfield is by passed, if we don't sign an absolute animal to screen the defence.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Exactly. Everyone knew he was getting a serious injury.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jonny is not useful in any way anymore, and is a liability. It is a real shame as he's been so unlucky with injuries, but he is totally unselectable.
I think that's a little unfair. While I'd agree he wasn't the same player after his return from injury, righting him off after just half a season seems hasty.

His issues were not with mobility or speed which might be expected after cruciate injuries, but more positioning and concentration which could be fixed with time.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Was", not "is". Was probably the first name on the team sheet for a long while but the 2 x injuries have done for him, sorry. Its very disappointing and sad but he should probably retire on medical grounds and we should pay up his contract.
It's a very weird correction of my grammar, seeing as I never used "is" or "was" in my post.

He's returning from a double cruciate injury, I think a little patience is required.

I've suggested he could be great cover for both FB slots. COVER not a starting berth. I'd not be pinning my hopes on him as a starter.

Wolf Pack leader

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

GoalkeeperYassine Bonuno
Left Back
Right Back
Ridle Baku - RB Mavropanos - CB

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

GoalkeeperYassine Bonuno
Left Back
Right Back

I think Scott is our first choice target.

Back
Top Bottom