Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree entirely. Hubner has a lot of character as well. Tipton is a little bit like Marques, sweeper role, which is no longer the way we want them to set up, but has the potential to convert into a defensive midfielder perhaps?
You can't help but like Tipton....his enthusiasm is infectious as such......he gives his all in a variyof roles .....my only slight concern is I'm not sure what he will be ....seems a bit jack of all trades but master of none ..(apart from penalties).....it's not a criticism cause as I say you can't help but like him ....it's just an observation....he might prove me wrong ,hope he does ...he will definitely have a career but not sure what level....

But when I see Hubner I just see quality in the simple things.....that's normally what makes a top player.....never seems under pressure....I think he will have a better career at a higher level....might not be he premier league off course but top league abroad maybe ....

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Page 280 and still no signings, at least the outgoing door has been well oiled

DJW

Reaction score
Let's be honest, we are selling Collins because we have royally ****ed up too many recent transfer windows. It's got nothing to do with his development etc. We wouldn't be selling him if evolution rather than revolution was required.
It's a massive challenge to rebuild a Premiership team with £10-15M additions, especially given that it usually takes foreign players a season to adjust to our league. For that reason we must start as one of the relegation favourites.
I'm also a little unsure about selling multiple players first to raise all the money you need, then expecting selling clubs to think your broke and accept low bids
Hobbs could easily go from hero to Moxley these next few weeks. Hope my fears are overstated.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can't help but like Tipton....his enthusiasm is infectious as such......he gives his all in a variyof roles .....my only slight concern is I'm not sure what he will be ....seems a bit jack of all trades but master of none ..(apart from penalties).....it's not a criticism cause as I say you can't help but like him ....it's just an observation....he might prove me wrong ,hope he does ...he will definitely have a career but not sure what level....

But when I see Hubner I just see quality in the simple things.....that's normally what makes a top player.....never seems under pressure....I think he will have a better career at a higher level....might not be he premier league off course but top league abroad maybe ....
Bueno was given the opportunity to go forward with a bit more confidence when he had Hubner to support him. It was a good combination.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know the nature of a football forum is a facilitator for entrenched, black and white views, but I'm not sure why some find it impossible to accept the thought that a player will go on to play for a top 6 team and also determining that moving them on is the best option for the club at this moment in time are scenarios that can't harmoniously co-exist?

We are a football club, not just a finishing school: a team that needs to get points on the board, and has to balance the growth of individual players with short term relative success. I think most of us would agree that Collins' physical attributes and early career performances mark him out as a potentially very good player, provided he can cut out the individual errors which plagued his campaign last time around. If you look at his other individual stats, they are actually pretty good taking those individual errors out. So it's a fair assumption that without them he could play at a higher level, and with them the best he's going to attract is another team taking a punt on him that perhaps have mitigations like a low block and a back three.

We can't, and can't afford to absorb those errors and hope that they diminish over time, so provided he's adequately replaced it's a good bit of business. With Hobbs hanging his hat on him being able to cut those errors out, all he's doing is endorsing his determination and character.... which you would expect from young player who is moving on with our blessing.

There's no reason to think there's something underhand going on like Hobbs distancing himself from Lopetegui's decisions etc. This is classic Occam's Razor.
I agree.
Just seems odd to buy him in the first place if your not going to allow him the time to develop into the player you supposedly still believe he’s going to become.

Maybe it’s a change in policy; I do agree we probably can’t be having £20m defenders (or £35m forwards) as development projects.
But giving up halfway through the process seems somewhat vision less.

Also: funnily enough, “finishing school” for super stars, is exactly how I used to describe what I felt was Fosuns plan for the club...

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's definitely looking like if we wanted Scott or Gyokeres, we could make bids for them now.
I was listening to Talk****e about 2 hours ago and they had their EFL “expert” on, waxing lyrical about Gyokeres. Went on and in about how PL ready he is and could not understand why the likes of us, Brentford, WHU etc had not signed him.
He reckoned he was about to go to Sporting Lisbon for £18.5M and couldnt understand why he wasnt going to a PL club for £20M.
I confess i have never seen him play but this chap has and claimed he was head and shoulders the best striker in the EFL last season.
Make of that what you will. You would hope our scouts have excellent metrics to judge better than a Journalist.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know the nature of a football forum is a facilitator for entrenched, black and white views, but I'm not sure why some find it impossible to accept the thought that a player will go on to play for a top 6 team and also determining that moving them on is the best option for the club at this moment in time are scenarios that can't harmoniously co-exist?

We are a football club, not just a finishing school: a team that needs to get points on the board, and has to balance the growth of individual players with short term relative success. I think most of us would agree that Collins' physical attributes and early career performances mark him out as a potentially very good player, provided he can cut out the individual errors which plagued his campaign last time around. If you look at his other individual stats, they are actually pretty good taking those individual errors out. So it's a fair assumption that without them he could play at a higher level, and with them the best he's going to attract is another team taking a punt on him that perhaps have mitigations like a low block and a back three.

We can't, and can't afford to absorb those errors and hope that they diminish over time, so provided he's adequately replaced it's a good bit of business. With Hobbs hanging his hat on him being able to cut those errors out, all he's doing is endorsing his determination and character.... which you would expect from young player who is moving on with our blessing.

There's no reason to think there's something underhand going on like Hobbs distancing himself from Lopetegui's decisions etc. This is classic Occam's Razor.

Why can't we afford to hope those errors diminish? As you say, he needs to be 'adequately replaced', but I presume we all agree that we aren't just going to bring in a defender who has no faults. Therefore, the next person has errors that we hope they will diminish! In the meantime, we also need them to be able to have the potential to play for a top six club - as Hobbs reckons Collins can. Otherwise, what's the point?

Also, Collins' struggles are hugely exaggerated now he's leaving.

Him and Kilman had one of the best defensive partnerships in the league under Bruno Lage. We conceded four goals in the first six games and kept three clean sheets - excellent stats.

Collins and our defence dipped massively under Steve Davis, but we all know why - he was a Conference level manager.

Under Lopetegui he played the first five games in a row until Dawson signed.

The first four, we conceded three goals. We picked up seven points from games against Everton, Villa, United and West Ham. Again, very good. We then lost 3-0 to City.

After that he featured sporadically and yes he was poor at Arsenal, but he didn't start the Brighton debacle and all our players struggled during the run-in at different parts.

It's a myth that Collins was really bad for us.

Time will tell on this, I'm sure we'll regret it massively.

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
So we have just sold a player our sporting director believes will be one of the best defenders in the country and we're supposed to trust the plan :D
Well, actions speak louder than words. He obviously doesn't really believe that and let's face it, why should he? To make a profit on him after the season he's just had based on 'potential' is great business by Wolves. I wouldn't hold your breath for a massive windfall from the sell on clause though.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I was listening to Talk****e about 2 hours ago and they had their EFL “expert” on, waxing lyrical about Gyokeres. Went on and in about how PL ready he is and could not understand why the likes of us, Brentford, WHU etc had not signed him.
He reckoned he was about to go to Sporting Lisbon for £18.5M and couldnt understand why he wasnt going to a PL club for £20M.
I confess i have never seen him play but this chap has and claimed he was head and shoulders the best striker in the EFL last season.
Make of that what you will. You would hope our scouts have excellent metrics to judge better than a Journalist.
Sporting seems to be his choice plus they are offering 35% sell on to Coventry.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, actions speak louder than words. He obviously doesn't really believe that and let's face it, why should he? To make a profit on him after the season he's just had based on 'potential' is great business by Wolves. I wouldn't hold your breath for a massive windfall from the sell on clause though.
Why doesn't he believe it? You don't sell a player and tell the world you think he's going to be incredible. It's not the normal thing to do.

You praise his character and what he did for you and all that, you don't go on to predict him to have a career that will be outstanding.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gyokeres himself wanted to go to Portugal, and with the healthy sell-on fee I suspect he sees himself playing there for a season or two before going to the PL.

Not a bad plan as the Portuguese league is probably a level up from Championship and he'll play in Europe too, rather than being written off after 5 games in the PL.

Himleywolf

Reaction score

Well said.

Also there is (was) the small matter of FFP which meant we had to sell before we buy.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's be honest, we are selling Collins because we have royally ****ed up too many recent transfer windows. It's got nothing to do with his development etc. We wouldn't be selling him if evolution rather than revolution was required.
It's a massive challenge to rebuild a Premiership team with £10-15M additions, especially given that it usually takes foreign players a season to adjust to our league. For that reason we must start as one of the relegation favourites.
I'm also a little unsure about selling multiple players first to raise all the money you need, then expecting selling clubs to think your broke and accept low bids
Hobbs could easily go from hero to Moxley these next few weeks. Hope my fears are overstated.
Moxley lol. I love after all these years people still get his name wrong.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Marques is out of contract.
We had a one year option which I guess we will have taken up?

It’s unfortunate for him that the Coady role disappeared and that this was followed by His loan to Forest Green which didn’t work out in a struggling team. Lonwijk’s loan to Plymouth by contrast was a smart move and has propelled him forward and he could do a Toti and comeback from Grasshoppers and break into the squad.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The article from sky sports earlier has me concerned and i reckon we were sailing closer to failing ffp than anyone has let on. It seemed an article to release immediately after the sale of collins was confirmed. I do suspect the sales so far have got us out of that danger, but any purchases this summer will need to be funded with further sales with the likes of podence, sa, kilman et al.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The article from sky sports earlier has me concerned and i reckon we were sailing closer to failing ffp than anyone has let on. It seemed an article to release immediately after the sale of collins was confirmed. I do suspect the sales so far have got us out of that danger, but any purchases this summer will need to be funded with further sales with the likes of podence, sa, kilman et al.
We will be fine. I expect Kilman to leave that money is pure profit and can be spent, give it time

so-called fan

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's almost like being a promoted club again. We'll have five or six decent players left and nobody knows who else we'll get. I wonder if even Pete knows.

Cornwall Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
how about this,

Anyone got any Gut feelings who well sign?

Mine are David Garcia from Osasuna & Moussa Dembele fro Lyon (free agent?)
Dembele a must for me .. free agent.. cannot find any mention of him moving anywhere .. home grown.. and a very good player .. do not understand why not already done .. Garcia a very good CB

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dembele a must for me .. free agent.. cannot find any mention of him moving anywhere .. home grown.. and a very good player .. do not understand why not already done .. Garcia a very good CB
Dembele would be awesome but high wages??

Free agents - VIEW ALL FREE AGENTS HERE

Skhiri & Djiku would be my pick of the free agents and experienced at a decent level

Goldust

Reaction score
Dembele would be tremendous, depending on wages. Don't know much about Garcia tbh, but we do need another CB and everything I have read has praised him so there's that.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we have to buy and spend some cash. We can't rely on an unproven player at this level who is injury prone.

I think we'll bring in a striker, but he'll probably be HG (Che Adams/Demebele) unless we can shift Raul and use his place to buy sombody else.

If we sell Silva maybe go for another young forward. No point having Silva and buying another kid

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we'll bring in a striker, but he'll probably be HG (Che Adams/Demebele) unless we can shift Raul and use his place to buy sombody else.

If we sell Silva maybe go for another young forward. No point having Silva and buying another kid
Sorry mate but what is HG?

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If the GK coach can't decide whose a decent keeper who can?

Rather he signed someone he knows than a complete unknown.

You're saying they're mates, haven't seen him with Tony Roberts on a single picture, it's someone he's worked with in a professional capacity not his drinking pal ffs.
Or the GK coach resigns if he can't sign...
Very underwhelming tbh. Do you think Villa would have signed him? No..

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or the GK coach resigns if he can't sign...
Very underwhelming tbh. Do you think Villa would have signed him? No..
He's a third choice goalkeeper, the chance of him ever stepping on the pitch in a competitive game are next to 0.

Would rather have another experienced head around the place than use one of the kids as 3rd, they're better getting experience on loan.

Who gives a **** what villa do.

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
Why doesn't he believe it? You don't sell a player and tell the world you think he's going to be incredible. It's not the normal thing to do.

You praise his character and what he did for you and all that, you don't go on to predict him to have a career that will be outstanding.
If enough people keep saying it, there's plenty of gullible people (many of whom seem to work for Man Utd's recruitment team) who believe it, despite what their own eyes are telling them. Hobbs has got a sell on bonus to consider, so adding to the narrative that Collins is going to be a top player is in his/our interests.

Back
Top Bottom