Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Would love Gykores and Scott.

Both are really good players.
Both look really good in the Championship. How many players have we tried, that looked good in the Portuguese league, (better than the Championship), that haven’t cut it in the Prem?

I am not saying for a second, that I don’t want them and that they won’t cut it but we need to bear in mind, it’s a big step up and there would be no guarantees.

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
Just so I’m clear, the club paid £20m because he’s really highly rated, he’s just won irelands player of the year, and the Brentford analytics team who everyone raves about have offered £23m, which is a big fee for a defender.

On the other hand, someone with a lot of time on his hands in the middle of a working day thinks he’s ****….

Who to believe….
There's no doubt that when I watch Collins with the eyes in my own head, I'm watching a player who lacks composure and is overly error prone. He may well improve and become the player people say he can be, but equally, he may not.
If, hypothetically they sold Collins and used that money to buy Alex Scott, the club are betting that Alex Scott is going to be worth more than Nathan Collins in 2-3 years when inevitably the 'big' clubs or even the Saudis come knocking.
Personally, I'd take that bet!

On the other hand they could sell him and use the money to buy Guedes MKII in which case it's an almighty **** up.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Collins has a really high ceiling - he’s young and makes mistakes absolutely, but if he cuts them out of his game has the potential to be a really dominant centre half with good pace and ball playing ability. A young player with scope to be a top player for us.

Alex Scott is similar in that his output for an attacking midfielder isn’t great, but the aptitudes are all there so I’d expect them to improve over time.

I’d rather sell the older “neverwillbe’s” instead of the young talents.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both look really good in the Championship. How many players have we tried, that looked good in the Portuguese league, (better than the Championship), that haven’t cut it in the Prem?

I am not saying for a second, that I don’t want them and that they won’t cut it but we need to bear in mind, it’s a big step up and there would be no guarantees.
The step up is more demanding on fitness than actual skill from lads I know who have either played or worked in coaching/stats/sports science/physio depts in both leagues during their careers.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The step up is more demanding on fitness than actual skill from lads I know who have either played or worked in coaching/stats/sports science/physio depts in both leagues during their careers.
Not sure that makes much sense. If you take that literally, it implies that any player with the dedication and aptitude to get into top physical shape can be a Premiership player. We know that’s not true.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not sure that makes much sense. If you take that literally, it implies that any player with the dedication and aptitude to get into top physical shape can be a Premiership player. We know that’s not true.

It’s decision-making and the time given to make the decision. That’s the difference between the top two tiers. A good player in the championship can get a lot of the ball, and multiple chances to make the right decision. In the premier league the same player will see a lot less of the ball and needs to make the right decision most of the time.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ocampos in talks with Fulham allegedly

Attachments

• IMG_8392.jpeg
    IMG_8392.jpeg
    407 KB · Views: 57

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Collins has a really high ceiling - he’s young and makes mistakes absolutely, but if he cuts them out of his game has the potential to be a really dominant centre half with good pace and ball playing ability. A young player with scope to be a top player for us.
Of course Collins could go on to be a top CH but equally he could be another Titus Bramble or Stephen Taylor neither of whom managed to cut out the mistakes and become the players many thought they could be at 21. If our squad was more balanced I’d gladly keep him but at the moment we need that £25m to improve the starting XI not sat on the bench.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes there is a skill difference, but the biggest leap is fitness.

On this one mate I believe the words of those who have experienced it by living it as players….. they said the leap in demand in fitness was much bigger than skill.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does that sound like we might be getting some Saudi investment?
This could just be me, but I read that as he owes us a bit? I suppose getting us £47 million for Neves prob has him back in the good books. He could chuck in a decent player thats not a completely fanny and wants to come here too?
Probably more of his **** cast offs for £30m a pop
He’s got us (and himself) some pretty decent cash for Neves, but surely the bloke owes us a top class player on a reasonably priced loan to buy or something after foisting Guedes onto us? If he can shift a few others over there to Saudi for silly money as well that might help make up for it?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Does that sound like we might be getting some Saudi investment?
The Neves sale brings in a £32m profit on the Portuguese midfielder, ranking it alongside Diogo Jota’s transfer in terms of success for Gestifute. Fosun is unwilling to spend excessively for a third window in succession because that falls outside its strategy, but the sale puts Wolves on a very stable footing if the ownership wishes to release funds for more spending.

This sounds different from what he wrote in his last article

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Neves sale brings in a £32m profit on the Portuguese midfielder, ranking it alongside Diogo Jota’s transfer in terms of success for Gestifute. Fosun is unwilling to spend excessively for a third window in succession because that falls outside its strategy, but the sale puts Wolves on a very stable footing if the ownership wishes to release funds for more spending.

I'd love to know what FOSUN's strategy even is, to be honest.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yep, agreed.

The spending approach this Summer is based on a Fosun call rather than FFP.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes there is a skill difference, but the biggest leap is fitness.

On this one mate I believe the words of those who have experienced it by living it as players….. they said the leap in demand in fitness was much bigger than skill.
Presumably only players who are already at a certain skill level get to experience this. ie the ones that stand out in the Championship

Less skilled, very fit players aren't getting that opportunity. If they did, they'd probably say the skill level was bigger

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
it’s marginal, compared to selling Kilman which would bring more money in, for not a dissimilar ceiling of player, and better for ffp.
it doesn’t make sense. unless the player wants to go.

Kilman is streets ahead of Collins in my view and has far better distribution. Being left footed also adds balance.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Without Jorge we we wouldn't have had the last 6 years we have had. .been a few bumps in the road recently but overall it has worked for us ....we are still the 13th best club in the country, which for a club our size is great ...

It's like there is 2 budgets at wolves ..1 for Jorge and 1 for our own players. ...the reality is Jorge's budget probably needed raining in a bit this summer ...and so it has with Neves .... although Jorge isn't the agent for the likes of Cunha , Sarabia etc we still don't get these players without Jorge brokering the deal and using his influence...If Jorge raises say 100m this summer he might get to use say 30/40m I reckon ..

Then there is the other side ...it's almost as if we want say Scott , we may have to sell from our budget , IE say Collins.....I would say this side of the business is now down to Hobbs as such ....

Obviously it's all guesswork....but there is definitely a two angled approach to our dealings.....we have obviously needed to be better
with our approach on our side but fundamentally the bulk will be still done around Jorge I reckon ...

Was probably 80/20 then 70/30 and the club ideally like 60/40 deals but still in favour of Jorge ..and the managers picks options from both...

It's like Jorge task is 12/13 of the foreigners in the 17 allowance....Hobbs is 3/4 foreigners plus the homegrown...

Last edited:

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IMO; Court seems.VERY [NJURY PRONE!! And he is now 35 yrs.
Very risky purchase

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd love to know what FOSUN's strategy even is, to be honest.
From the article, although that's a vision more than a strategy of how to get there:

"Fosun has never deviated from its ambition to realise substantial profits from the development of young players with potential. What it has been forced to do in the last two transfer windows is spend more than it would have desired on players to bolster a squad that struggled in the league."

Back
Top Bottom